PDA

View Full Version : Should I bring my laptop on holiday to use in Tenerife south?

duquessa
09-10-2011, 23:55
I was thinking of bringing laptop to tenerife. I presume this is ok and causes no trouble at airports.

Where can i use it for free around GDS and Amarilla golf?:confused:

karinagal
10-10-2011, 00:13
Only thing you need to remember at the airport is if the laptop is in your hand luggage, you'll need to take it out of any case as they like to xray it separately..

If you're near the Wild Geese or Grandee O'Donnells bar, you can get the code for the wifi there when you're buying a drink or food. Same at Aries bar and/or Scorpio pool bar in Amarilla Golf.

When are you over? :p

duquessa
10-10-2011, 00:27
this week :jumping:

karinagal
10-10-2011, 00:33
this week :jumping:

Excellent! Hope you have a fab time! Leave some sun for me, I'm over on the 21st!! :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

duquessa
10-10-2011, 00:36
are you on the golf? Do you know the code for Wld Geese?:idea::nono:

Andy0210
10-10-2011, 01:25

Dont be so stingy, at least buy a bottle of water there and they will tell you! ;)

gazza
10-10-2011, 06:39
you can also try Friends bar and Scruffy Macs on San Blas both have free wifi for customers

karinagal
10-10-2011, 09:20

They change the code weekly!! :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

duquessa
10-10-2011, 10:01
thanks all.

Gfplux
10-10-2011, 21:54
Good to know that more and more places offer free wifi.

Margaretta
11-10-2011, 11:58
Duquessa,
Earlier this year I took my Laptop over to Tenerife and being realistic, it wasn't worth the effort.
I felt a bit daft with my business-like case humping it into cafes on the Golf and we didn't want to walk afterwards because we were afraid to leave it in the car. I ended up using it in the apartment to attach photos at the end of each day. I went into the Internet cafes for 1 euro an hour where I sat with brandy and coffee with nice, helpful people who told me how to find '@' and underscore. Hubby went for a walk and we met afterwards and carried on with our day without worrying about the weight and security of a laptop. We didn't know much about dongles? gongles/ at the time...they seem a bit complicated. Now I have a netbook which is very light and will easily fit into my beachbag so will try that on our next visit.
Two favourite Internet cafes are Chessies in Los Cristianos and one in Los Abrigos by the roundabout opposite the plaza.

princessmonika
11-10-2011, 14:35
well it is not free you have to buy a drink or two :goodluck::wink:

Vortex Wake
11-10-2011, 16:50
I took my old Sony laptop to Tenerife. It has 4 hour battery life for the flight - so DVD /iTunes movies are an in-flight option.

It is small enough to fit in a pocket on the hand luggage ruck sack - with the ability to place it behind your back once seated for take off ;) .

Don't bother with internet via it as the Samsung Galaxy via T-mobile allows web access.

On the way home I watched my camera videos I had recorded on holiday via the laptop - the 4 hour flight went a lot quicker :)

Gfplux
12-10-2011, 07:19
A netbook, laptop, smartphone or Ipad PLUS internet become very important if your daughter is in another country at University and video skype gives both parents and child comfort and support.

duquessa
31-10-2011, 14:35
i never bothered in the end to big and bulky and too worried about security etc. I did use a few pc's in hotels and receptions etc. Most have them now.

duquessa
20-03-2012, 15:10
They have wi-fi now at the complex.

Marc Weinberg
20-03-2012, 16:44
if you dont want to take a cumbersome laptop with you there are companies that hire out netbooks on a weekly basis. they are obviously smaller and easier to carry around. there are plenty of bars that will allow you to use wifi as long as you buy at least a drink.

Balcony
20-03-2012, 17:33
I gave up on my laptop. What with that and the camera my shoulders weren't mine any more!

Su1
21-03-2012, 17:17
I have a 8.9 Samsung Galaxy Tablet which I think is brilliant for lots of things...its just like a mini computer. Some of the most useful features for me are:
Wi fi so can get internet access.
Watching DVD's on the plane. I bought an USB adapter which allows me to plug in my 16GB memory stick. On my lap top I downloaded a free DVD 'ripper' (WINX) from the internet which allows me to convert the DVD's and save them onto the memory stck.
Use it like a Kindle for reading,
like an i pod for music
It has a camera/video.
I bought the Samsung because its light and smaller than and I pad, plus a friend had one so I could try before I bought mine!!

helhod
21-03-2012, 17:37
Always has internet connection when living in Tenerife ,I am coming out for 12 days and was going to bring lappy but have decided against as no suit case ...........Have a blackberry but can i get spanish sim that lets me do face book noseache blah blah or shall i invest in this other thing called tablet??? only want connection for were i am !

duquessa
05-04-2012, 23:26
wi fi at the DDM isnt free and its not cheap. I dont bother nice to have a break from the PC and there are plenty of pcs in hotels also.

Su1
06-04-2012, 00:03
For information for those who want wi if connections around Amarilla Golf in addition to those already mentioned,
for the price of a drink:
Pine Hurst
Marina Bar at the end of the Marina

I have also used Red Tomato - can buy time on line or go to Pebble Bridge where you pay and get code. You can buy hourly/daily/weekly etc. I have often paid 1 euro for an hour and then I can use the internet in my apartment. I have found Red Tomato to be one of the cheapest.

Fairways I have heard is free for residents.