PDA

View Full Version : I'm having trouble connecting my laptop to my TV ( no picture)

judetenerife
10-10-2011, 21:31
hi -lets start off with that im not very pc literate so talk slowing with easy words!

i went to pc shop and bought 2 cables (one for sound) to connect laptop to tv. got the right ones as i asked the guy. he said to connect before turning computer on otherwise no picture. this i did. i have changed the tv to rgb channel and all i got was the windows start up logo then went blank when desktop came up. as suggested i changed the resolution to low as it can go and now i just get the back picture of the desktop. when i open internet etc the desktop back picture remains on tv. why cant i see on the tv what is on the pc.
all and any advice grateful

thxs jude

markcuk
10-10-2011, 22:24
press fn f8 or fn f4 look for a little monitor symbol on the F keys and press it with the FN key.

edit : dont think i read your post correct:cheeky:

sounds like you have extended your desktop and I think you want the same thing on the TV thats displaying on the laptop?

click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display. and untick extend desktop (this is for xp)

judetenerife
10-10-2011, 22:27
will try that - thxs

TenerifeTeddy
10-10-2011, 22:28
Please tell us what video cable you purchased, was it a VGA cable, (15 pin oblong looking block connector) or HDMI ( looks like a large USB connector) S-video (round connector with 4 pins) or a composite RCA cable, 3 RGB leads each end)

It matters because depending on what type of cable you have purchased, depends on the TV input you select, PC, HDMI, Svideo etc.

You may also have to do some changes to your display settings to either clone or multiview your desktop to your external monitor.

markcuk
10-10-2011, 22:39
I will pass you over to tenerife teddy my internet is awful tonight :(

judetenerife
10-10-2011, 23:26
err - dont really understand but the packet says MH SVGA Monitor Cable HD15M
the cable has square like connector with three rows of pins. same each end and fits into the tv where it says RGB (PC).

mark - what would those instructions be in spanish? as my pc set up is in spanish

sorry for being a bit thick folks xx

Added after 3 minutes:

got to appearance and themes but is display the same as screen (pantella) as past that i cant find a tick box to untick! doh..

atlantico
11-10-2011, 00:12
sounds like you have a PC monitor lead, but if you got the windows start up via RGB then that must be it. (or VGA) You have to somehow get into your video card and tell it that you need two video outputs, one for laptop and one for another output ie TV. It isn't easy, but it should be . . . . and every video card make/model is different.

Try this, similar to above BUT.

Start>control panel>Display

on 'Settings' tab, click 'Advanced' button

Select your 'Graphics Accelerator Driver' tab (different on each PC depending upon video card installed.

From here on it may differ, but you need to go into 'Properties' where you can select your output requirements. You only get 'Options' if more than one display is connected to the PC, so make sure you're wired up to TV, and hope that works for you !

markcuk
11-10-2011, 18:36
this link has pictures http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Extended-Desktop-View-in-Windows-XP

judetenerife
11-10-2011, 21:40
HURRAY - its working. thanks to all for your help. i followed the wikihow instructions and that solved it. xxx

markcuk
11-10-2011, 21:48
Thats great your :welcome: