PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Tourists robbed at Mount Teide viewpoint in Tenerife

DJ Dangerous
13-10-2011, 21:14
Another incident of holiday-makers being robbed here in Tenerife occurred a little over a week ago, on Sunday the 2nd of October.

Two of our guests, staying in Paloma Beach, decided to rent a car and go sight-seeing up Mount Teide. They went off with their passports, boarding cards, mobile phone, credit card and some cash in a bag, and drove up towards Teide, via Vilaflor.

On the way up, they believe that they were tailed by a silver Citroen C2, and pulled over to let him pass, but he stayed behind them instead. They arrived at one of the view-points and turned off, and so did the C2. They got out of their car to take photos of the view, and the driver of the C2 did the same, but was taking photos in the opposite direction. They said that on the sides of the C2, they could see marks where stickers had been removed previously.

They wandered off a little, feeling secure around another tourist taking photos, and with the "sangria-sunshine" mentality, left their bag of valuables on the back seat, with the car doors unlocked. As they snapped their photos, they heard the sound of spinning wheels, and saw the silver C2 speeding away. At that point, I think the penny dropped, and they ran back to their car, to find their bag gone. They tried to give chase, but their Fiat Panda was no match for the C2.

Devastated, they went straight to the Policia Nacional in Las Americas. They made their denuncia there, and borrowed a phone to have their own mobile and their credit card blocked.

On the Monday morning, we called the British consulate to find out what was required to get them home, and arranged their emergency travel documents. This unlucky couple didn't follow the rules, and their story echoes that of John and Paulina SO closely.

Advice from both the British Consulate in Santa Cruz and the Policia Nacional in Las Americas was that it is now getting harder to return to the UK and Ireland in the event of having your passports stolen.

The price of the emergency travel documents was €113 each.

The documents are only valid for 48 hours, so you still need to get new passports when you do get home.

To obtain these emergency travel documents, you will need the following:

The police report / denuncia, mentioning the names and dates of birth of ALL those who need the travel documents
One passport size photo - the exact size is not as important - they accept photos taken in booths, like the one in San Eugenio
Boarding cards showing time and date of return flights, origin and destination.
€113 for EACH document required

The British Consulate is open Monday to Friday, from 0830h to 1330h.
It takes at least an hour to print the passports and process any data.
Phoning your information through in advance will help the process.
The phone number for the British Consulate is:
902-109-356
The address is:
Plaza Weyler 8,
1st floor (over Barclays)
Santa Cruz De Tenerife.
There is a huge car-park right beside the plaza, there is also a taxi rank there, and it is serviced by the tram and buses.

When making a denuncia at the police station in Las Americas, you must speak Spanish.
For English speakers, you need to make your denuncia by phone (the number to phone is 902-102-112).
This report is then typed up by the operator, and sent to the police station in Las Americas.
There can be lengthy delays at the police station while waiting for your report, often several hours, so be prepared for this.

To all out there, PLEASE be vigilant, please keep your passports and boarding cards SEPARATE to money, credit cards and other valuables.

Loaded
13-10-2011, 22:07
Good post ! Toi toi!

slodgedad
14-10-2011, 00:57
Very useful info, deej.

I have added WArNING to the title and made it sticky.

TenerifeTeddy
14-10-2011, 11:52
Unfortunately this happens too often. People seem to forget precautions that they would take automatically in the UK, like not leaving valuables on display, not leaving windows open or doors unlocked, whilst they are off taking their pictures.

It is such a shame because a few seconds thoughtlessness can ruin their whole holiday.

Bazz
14-10-2011, 14:20
What I don't understand about this is why they had their passports with them? Mine goes straight into the safe until the day we fly back home. :confused:

karinagal
14-10-2011, 14:46
What I don't understand about this is why they had their passports with them? Mine goes straight into the safe until the day we fly back home. :confused:

I take my passport with me everywhere - I need it if I'm using my credit card to purchase something and also i believe that the Police require you to have identification with you if you're stopped for any reason?

...... of course I keep a photocopy of my passport in my safe at the apartment...... and I'm incredibly careful with my bag at all times.....

Seren
14-10-2011, 15:20

Same here!

such a shame they were not thinking, happens all too often sadly people being in a relaxed holiday mood and not looking after their things as if they would back at home.

Balcony
14-10-2011, 17:23
Thanks for the warning DJ. As if tourists can't be spotted .... and targetted! Always have to pack plenty of common sense on trips. Like you say that 'sangria effect'.

dotty1
14-10-2011, 19:16
We just keep a copy of our passport and driving license in his wallet and my bag. Hubby had his wallet stolen on Medano Market, thankfully they were only copies the only thing was his health card that was,nt a copy, we replaced that when we arrived back in the UK. You never think it!s not going to happen to you but it does,The safe is the best place for passports, they do accept copies as long as you have a picture on for using credit cards etc., we all have to be aware.

welsh wendy
14-10-2011, 22:48

Definitely agree with you Bazz and also only take what cash you need. Take cred cards only when you need them.

Hubbie & I keep copies of docs in apartment safe.

Goforgold
15-10-2011, 08:24

We take our passports with us most of the time, expect when we know we are going swimming. The apartment we've just stayed in didn't have a safe, which was a bit worrying.

When in your apartment it's also wise not to leave patio doors open when you are having showers or in another room - very easy for anyone to nip across most balconies and this sort of thing is on the increase just as it is in the UK unfortunately.

Odd, this holiday we were never asked for our passports when using a credit card.

Bazz
15-10-2011, 09:04
We take our passports with us most of the time, expect when we know we are going swimming. The apartment we've just stayed in didn't have a safe, which was a bit worrying.

When in your apartment it's also wise not to leave patio doors open when you are having showers or in another room - very easy for anyone to nip across most balconies and this sort of thing is on the increase just as it is in the UK unfortunately.

Odd, this holiday we were never asked for our passports when using a credit card.

I would never venture out anywhere in Tenerife with my passport. I have never been asked for it when using my credit card. :)

Goforgold
15-10-2011, 09:15
I would never venture out anywhere in Tenerife with my passport. I have never been asked for it when using my credit card. :)

If there had been a safe we probably wouldn't have taken them with us this time as no-one seemed to want to see them this holiday. They were kept well hidden when we were out though. OH is always vigilant both here and when we are away - he won't let me even leave a tissue in the car in case someone wants one!! :)

Todi
15-10-2011, 11:20
What a terrible shame for them and hindsight is a wonderful thing. They obviously felt safe and relaxed here and let their guard down. The thieveing scumbags who have done this are the ones at fault ruining holidays and putting people off from coming to Tenerife. I hope, as they followed the car and got a good look at it, that they managed to get the regstration and that the Police will actually do something to try and find this lowlife.
I lost my passport last year just before a trip back to the UK and the consulate were fantastic, really helpful.
Hopefully they got sorted out and got home safely.

slodgedad
15-10-2011, 16:58

You wouldn't say that if someone else used your cards.

Now that it's chip and pin it's a bit better, but shops here still accept cards that are not.

Madre
15-10-2011, 18:23
But do you need a passport for I.D. why not use a photo driving licence better than carrying your passport around.

tenerife_photo
26-10-2011, 23:04
ive been up Teide so many times and theres always a story of someones stuff getting stolen.

You should watch out for some young Moroccan guys that drive around in a rent-a-car.. ive spotted them looting cars on many occasions!

The police know about this "gang" but as always theres little or no comments to the solution

Castaneda
26-01-2012, 13:42
Sounds terrible... Tenerife is such a wonderful island where a vacation feels like heaven... Being robbed in such a place can ruin whole impression.

Pixie17
26-01-2012, 14:32
This sort of thing can happen any where in the world not just Tenerife and more often than not, a robbery will happen when the opportunity presents itself, don't leave things to chance!

DJ Dangerous
27-01-2012, 19:22
It's the old "sangria sunshine" mentality that kicks in, and the guard gets lowered, then bam, you are struck!

astara
13-02-2012, 20:46
It's the old "sangria sunshine" mentality that kicks in, and the guard gets lowered, then bam, you are struck!

Wish it was just Sangria sunshine" mentality - in last two weeks we have had two purses stolen in the los cris charity shop, whilst ladies were shopping - then today the ********** had the audacity to stealcash from my purse, which was safely stashed in a cupboard,under our desk, where one member of staff always sits at the till !!! These are very skilled, efficient, robbers. All we can do is display warning notices & tell shoppers to be vigilant. They must be like feckin houdini to get in the space they did without being seen.. At least we now know who they are - & believe me were ready for them should they have the cheek to try again... A visit to local police just ended in my being shown two boxes full of purses & wallets unclaimed!!!! They didnt want descriptions, too busy. As i had a shop to run i couldnt take the time to go to the central office, & as i at least found my purse empty of cash, but with cards dumped at back of shop i guess i was lucky. The Theives were female, long brown hair, 25 - 30 very very slim, poss sisters, & altho spoke spanish i would say maybe morrocan or romanian. They already tried to get me away from the till by asking to show them some clothes, i refused & they still managed the theft!! Karma will out i hope, & they will get their just un-rewards... Horrible for toursits & worrying for us, how do you protect customers from them !!!!

caroletenerife
14-02-2012, 13:15
do what I did last year in the shop haha (im admitting nothing)...they have never been back, I heard of an attempted mugging at the Los Cris market on Sunday, luckily passers by intervened but.....the man was in a wheelchair ON OXYGEN!!!!!!. I know there is thieving everywhere but to rob a man in that condition is beyond contempt. My till is a bag on my body....let them try, they will get what they got the last time xxxx If they come in again take a photo, they wont like that.

Limpiezaschris
14-02-2012, 16:10
The law used to be that you needed to carry original documents with you incase the police did ask for them... but now the police only require yu to have copies of passport,driving licence and any other for that matter so it was silly of them to have their passports. but theses things happen.

normboro
14-02-2012, 19:22
these two females are probably the same ones hanging round near veronicas at night trying to pickpocket people