PDA

View Full Version : How to tidy up your 'What's New' and 'Today's Posts' pages

slodgedad
14-10-2011, 22:37
I have received a couple of PMs complaining that members cannot be bothered looking through the new posts as they are full of games, games and more games.

If you click on 'Settings' then 'General Settings', scroll down to 'exclude Forums from What's New' then click on your choice.

Save Changes and away you go.

ie. If you don't want Fun and Games to fill up your New Posts screen then after doing the above everything else will appear except that.

Completely reversible as there is an option in the exclusion drop down box for 'None'

timmylish
14-10-2011, 23:57
Have to say that although I have never complained I do think too much is taken up by threads which I would rather not have to go thru" but I accept that most may wish to do so.
Having said that I have tried everything possible to follow your instructions on how not to receive certain threads and for the life of me I am just going round and round without being able to delete (wrong word used) those threads I do not wish to read. Can you give me alternative directions please? Sorry for the grief!

Ian55
15-10-2011, 00:04
Have to say that although I have never complained I do think too much is taken up by threads which I would rather not have to go thru" but I accept that most may wish to do so.
Having said that I have tried everything possible to follow your instructions on how not to receive certain threads and for the life of me I am just going round and round without being able to delete (wrong word used) those threads I do not wish to read. Can you give me alternative directions please? Sorry for the grief!

Turn right at exit 23 on the TF1 :raspberry:

tizzywizzy
15-10-2011, 00:13
I have followed the instructions that were given. In the section exclude from new posts it does not let you put in what you want to exclude ie fun and games.

Is there perhaps something missing in the instructions?

slodgedad
15-10-2011, 15:29
I have followed the instructions that were given. In the section exclude from new posts it does not let you put in what you want to exclude ie fun and games.

Is there perhaps something missing in the instructions?

No. Follow the instructions and click on the Forum you don't want (it should be highlighted in blue afterwards) Then click save.

I've done it it regularly when modding so I can read the serious threads without clutter.

Settings;

General Settings;

Exclude;

Highlight choice;

Save.

atlantico
15-10-2011, 16:09
I only get the 'News and weather' option to exclude. see pic

slodgedad
15-10-2011, 16:27

Thanks, Atlantico. Perhaps I should have put in a graphic...:bowdown:

tizzywizzy
15-10-2011, 17:00

Thanks Atlantico thats what I get. Maybe admin get more than us mortals get:)

slodgedad
15-10-2011, 17:08
Thanks Atlantico thats what I get. Maybe admin get more than us mortals get:)

I'm sure everyone has the same options. If not let me know in this thread and I will investigate

Andy0210
15-10-2011, 21:33
I only get the news and weather thread option as well! :(

karinagal
15-10-2011, 22:56
me three or four or how many others have said - tried and tried and the box does not offer anything other than None or News and Weather. Can't type in the box and no option to select from....

Brian
16-10-2011, 10:38
I guess I must be lucky as it worked for me:thanx:

atlantico
16-10-2011, 10:47
I'm sure everyone has the same options. If not let me know in this thread and I will investigate

OK, thats a few saying only News and Weather forum is available, and I've posted a picture as proof.

primrose
16-10-2011, 11:01
OK, thats a few saying only News and Weather forum is available, and I've posted a picture as proof.

Only News and Weather on mine.

michele
16-10-2011, 11:02
i cannot put a profile pic on or post new posts....left some info about wingjet on my page...but wanted to share ..and it wont let me ...xxx

Jimandsi
16-10-2011, 17:23
I only have the option of News and Weather as well.

If only I didn't have to wade through all of those silly games.

KirstyJay
16-10-2011, 19:45
Try now. All General chat forums should be excludable.

Santiago
16-10-2011, 20:34
I only have the option of News and Weather as well.

If only I didn't have to wade through all of those silly games.

So sorry if you think the games are silly. The reason there are so many posts is because there are quite a lot of people who like to relax with a "silly" game. Maybe some of them think that other posts are "silly" as well, but aren't rude enough to say so!

slodgedad
17-10-2011, 02:15
So sorry if you think the games are silly. The reason there are so many posts is because there are quite a lot of people who like to relax with a "silly" game. Maybe some of them think that other posts are "silly" as well, but aren't rude enough to say so!

That's the whole point of the exclude choice.

There are a few members who only use a particular section so it's easy for them, but now you can choose what pops up in 'New Posts' or more importantly, what doesn't

tizzywizzy
17-10-2011, 23:32
still the same for me but as I just skip past the threads i don't want to read anyway It is not a problem

fire13
17-10-2011, 23:45
A bit harsh that!

I'm sure Jim didn't mean it the way you read it Santiago.

sunseeker
18-10-2011, 09:04
A bit harsh that!

I'm sure Jim didn't mean it the way you read it Santiago.oh i duno. he usually means every word judgeing from most of his posts.

Santiago
18-10-2011, 20:49
A bit harsh that!

I'm sure Jim didn't mean it the way you read it Santiago.

I think he probably did, and assumed that everyone who liked to relax with word games was a moron. I like to read through all the information on all the threads each day and pick out the posts I want to check on for further information. I know that many probably only want to read the odd one or two posts - often to check if there has been a reply to one of theirs - but I hope that they will by now have followed the instructions so that they can exclude the fun and games threads. Perhaps we could ask the Mods if they could work out a way to exclude people we don't want to read - that might solve a lot of problems.

slodgedad
18-10-2011, 21:14
I think he probably did, and assumed that everyone who liked to relax with word games was a moron. I like to read through all the information on all the threads each day and pick out the posts I want to check on for further information. I know that many probably only want to read the odd one or two posts - often to check if there has been a reply to one of theirs - but I hope that they will by now have followed the instructions so that they can exclude the fun and games threads. Perhaps we could ask the Mods if they could work out a way to exclude people we don't want to read - that might solve a lot of problems.

Put them on your ignore list, then anything they post doesn't show on your PC

Santiago
19-10-2011, 15:36
Put them on your ignore list, then anything they post doesn't show on your PC

Sorry, Slodgie, I forgot!!:ashamed: