PDA

View Full Version : Would you recommend buying a car from a dealer or private in Tenerife?

Balou
15-10-2011, 10:23
Hello everyone, what would you recomend, buying a car from a Tenerife car dealer or from a private person? I´ve heard that you avoid much hazzle buying directly from a cardealer but wont that be much more expensive? :confused:

sunseeker
16-10-2011, 23:42
it depends. if you know what your doing and what paperwork to do then you can go either way. its easy to end up with big fines or debts if you dont know what your doing though. cars need to be transfered to avoid problems. a dealer will do this. you can always ask on the forum for what paperwork is needed. there are some car peeps on here that could set you strait. :)

Balou
17-10-2011, 08:46
yes thank you sunseeker, I´ve bought a car once before, from a dealer, and even that was a lot of paperwork! Its just that the prices are a completely different when buying in the private market... seems that lots of spanish people cant afford to keep their cars....

atlantico
17-10-2011, 09:55
I bought one from a reputable local car hire firm, they did all paperwork etc and sold it at reasonable price. But expect usual rental car condition of bodywork and mileage. 8 years later and still no problems

CIM
17-10-2011, 11:36
I have just sold through a dealer today. 5 minutes in there, decent price, cash paid, hassle free.
I bought privately last week and there was a lot of arsing around as I was asked to hand over 7 grand to someone I had just met prior to any checks being done on the car and then trust them to go to Santa Cruz and put the car in my name.
A week later I got it sorted - did my own checks and ensured I had all keys, papers for the car etc and then had the transfer done. Just be careful when buying private and if you are unhappy or uncomfortable at all - stop and ask someone who knows or pay a gestor to do it for you.

garlicbread
17-10-2011, 11:47
I have just sold through a dealer today. 5 minutes in there, decent price, cash paid, hassle free.
I bought privately last week and there was a lot of arsing around as I was asked to hand over 7 grand to someone I had just met prior to any checks being done on the car and then trust them to go to Santa Cruz and put the car in my name.
A week later I got it sorted - did my own checks and ensured I had all keys, papers for the car etc and then had the transfer done. Just be careful when buying private and if you are unhappy or uncomfortable at all - stop and ask someone who knows or pay a gestor to do it for you.

Is there anyone (online or in person) who can tell me in advance what tax trafico are likely to charge me when I buy a used car privately and what info about the car would they need to calculate the tax? Is a gestor likely to know the answer in advance of me purchasing a car given that I have all the car's details?

atlantico
17-10-2011, 11:51
try this website, find your car to see its value, hence tax due

https://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/tributos/?direccion=oficinavirtual/default.asp

CIM
17-10-2011, 11:55
On that page you need to click on "Vehiculos" which is underneath "Valoración fiscal de bienes"
Stick in today's date and then you simply add how old the car is, the make and the model It then automatically tells you the tax value and how much the tax should be.

garlicbread
17-10-2011, 12:06
try this website, find your car to see its value, hence tax due

https://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/tributos/?direccion=oficinavirtual/default.asp

On that page you need to click on "Vehiculos" which is underneath "Valoración fiscal de bienes"
Stick in today's date and then you simply add how old the car is, the make and the model It then automatically tells you the tax value and how much the tax should be.

Thanks guys, all sorted now

Albahaca
17-10-2011, 12:08
Is there anyone (online or in person) who can tell me in advance what tax trafico are likely to charge me when I buy a used car privately and what info about the car would they need to calculate the tax? Is a gestor likely to know the answer in advance of me purchasing a car given that I have all the car's details? .

The costs in Trafico are 51€ and the tax will be 4% of the contract price.
so a gestor can only give you a price if he/she knows this price.
Sent me a PM if you need help with paperwork.

garlicbread
17-10-2011, 12:35
The costs in Trafico are 51€ and the tax will be 4% of the contract price.
so a gestor can only give you a price if he/she knows this price.
Sent me a PM if you need help with paperwork.

Thanks, I am aware of that. I just wanted an estimate of the likely tax which the government website has given me. I have a gestor local to me who can look after all the paperwork for me.

slodgedad
17-10-2011, 15:45

Slightly off topic but worth pointing out (not to you CIM, but readers) that, unlike the UK, all debts stay with the car.

So if there are any outstanding charges, taxes or finances attached to the vehicle then you, as the buyer, inherit them.

Loaded
17-10-2011, 15:56
I dropped lucky with my BMW and got it off a really genuine professional guy and it was all sorted privately.

However it was even easier using a dealer and I'd recommend using one

Albahaca
17-10-2011, 16:53
So if there are any outstanding charges, taxes or finances attached to the vehicle then you, as the buyer,
inherit them.

True but they (Trafico) have to inform you about any debt and you have to sign that
you're agreed with it so you can never say didn't know..

timmylish
17-10-2011, 19:47
True but they (Trafico) have to inform you about any debt and you have to sign that
you're agreed with it so you can never say didn't know..

Yes. But some may have parted with the money by that time!