PDA

View Full Version : How much Spanish do you use when on holiday to Tenerife?

Seren
15-10-2011, 15:58
Just wondering how much Spanish you use when on holiday, I dont speak fluent at all but I do like to try!

Or do you just get by perfectly during your holiday with the odd hola and gracias?

Ed3229
15-10-2011, 17:01
I know a bit but I am learning Spanish with the wife so we can speak more next year........my kids(6 and 5) know the basic hello ect and the Spanish speakers we met loved it when they spoke Spanish to them.....:lol:

Davie Thistle
15-10-2011, 19:29
.......don't know much Spanish,

just enuf to say thanks, please, and no thanks!

oh yes and two beers!

:cheeky:

warbey
15-10-2011, 20:10
The daft answer is that I use as much as I know how to.

After visiting quite a few Places in Spain, I have picked up a fair amount.
On the downside, by the next Holiday a lot has been forgotten.

I wish I were fluent but this wont happen in this Lifetime.

Whatever, I do know an attempt to use Their Lingo is invairiably appreciated.
I also think that My broken Spanish has helped Me to make Friends
of some very nice People.

CaribeCelt
15-10-2011, 21:24
I always try and use a bit of Spanish and I also find it is appreciated and the locals will help you more when you make the effort.

I have been doing a Spanish lesson on rosetta stone for about 4 months now and I have booked lessons on a course here in Ireland so next time I am out I will know a wee bit more...hopefully

Angusjim
16-10-2011, 08:02
Just wondering how much Spanish you use when on holiday, I dont speak fluent at all but I do like to try!

Or do you just get by perfectly during your holiday with the odd hola and gracias?

Its timed them Canarians lernt England so the can speek to us poperly "grassious":crazy:

malagabob
16-10-2011, 09:57
Seeing that the Spanish are more family oriented I have learnt a phrase that is always appreciated more
than the normal hola, gracias, and por favor. Su familiar es bien? Try it next time with your hotel reception
-ist or maid when she comes to change the towels.

Angusjim
16-10-2011, 10:10
Seeing that the Spanish are more family oriented I have learnt a phrase that is always appreciated more
than the normal hola, gracias, and por favor. Su familiar es bien? Try it next time with your hotel reception
-ist or maid when she comes to change the towels.

Problem starts that they may think you know Spanish and start speaking to you and you either stand looking like a plum or get into "Basil Fawlty" Spanish. Think its a bit patronising to learn a couple of phrases to make yourself look and feel good about yourself when you really know nothing about their language I think better to be a moron like me. Would you ask an English receptionist in UK if their family was well ( if you could find an English receptionist ) when you arrive at a hotel in UK ??

malagabob
17-10-2011, 08:29
Angusjim.
Rather than standing around acting like a moron, asking at a supermarket in Spanish "Beers" then
looking like a moron when the cashier replies in Spanish "they are over there" then she has to repeat it in
English. I have found you learn a lot more of a language by being more forward, even if it means asking how peoples family are (after you have got to know them a few days).It does get you into a conversation, but thats how I have improved my Spanish. I also know how to say good morning in Polish and Latvian lol.

warbey
17-10-2011, 19:23
Staying at a Hotel in Fuengirola one Year on My Wife's Birthday.
Wegot a Text saying a Niece had had a little Girl.
I told the Maid who promptly disappeared, coming back 5 Mins later with a Bottle of Cava to celebrate.
A lot was in Spanish but not all as I didnt know the word for Birth.
Knowing Nina worked and We made a new Friend.
Yes Some wouldnt but I try when the time is right. (so I think)

Nothing ventured nothing gained., but yes We are all different.

grouse
19-10-2011, 23:51
We go to LA with another 2 English couples every year and although I speak Spanish fairly fluently (My mother is from Valencia) the bars we visit are mainly staffed by Brits who wouldn't understand me if I spoke to them in Spanish.

My friends like it as they don't have to learn the language but I find it a little strange if not worrying that I can spend a week in Tenerife and never hear a word of Spanish.

Margaretta
21-10-2011, 13:52
I like 'having a go.' I did 'O' level Spanish at school about 100 years ago! I can more or less read 'El Dia' with a translation of the odd long word but speaking Spanish is another matter. I just haven't got the modern colloquialisms certainly not for the Canarian dialect! I also learnt to say 'th' instead of 'c' and 'z' and this isn't done in Tenerife, only parts of mainland Spain, so I'm not easily understood, get tongue-tied and embarrassed. But I do try and wave my hands about a lot!! It seems to appeal to the Canarian sense of humour to let me struggle speaking and miming wildly....then they answer me in English!!!

Peterrayner
21-10-2011, 13:56
I do try and wave my hands about a lot!! It seems to appeal to the Canarian sense of humour to let me struggle speaking and miming wildly....then they answer me in English!!!

So thats why the Canarians call us "fly-catchers" :hello:

dokgolf
21-10-2011, 14:15
I like 'having a go.' I did 'O' level Spanish at school about 100 years ago! I can more or less read 'El Dia' with a translation of the odd long word but speaking Spanish is another matter. I just haven't got the modern colloquialisms certainly not for the Canarian dialect! I also learnt to say 'th' instead of 'c' and 'z' and this isn't done in Tenerife, only parts of mainland Spain, so I'm not easily understood, get tongue-tied and embarrassed. But I do try and wave my hands about a lot!! It seems to appeal to the Canarian sense of humour to let me struggle speaking and miming wildly....then they answer me in English!!!

I also give it a go. Sometimes it ends up with a game of charades in the shop/bar/hotel but well worth it. They ( the Spanish) have a good laugh but I'll tell you this, they will remember you next time. The bar staff in our last hotel used to come down to us as they were closing the bar just to make sure we had enough drinks and it was all down to me making a plonker of myself trying to speak Spanish!

Seren
21-10-2011, 18:19
I also give it a go. Sometimes it ends up with a game of charades in the shop/bar/hotel but well worth it. They ( the Spanish) have a good laugh but I'll tell you this, they will remember you next time. The bar staff in our last hotel used to come down to us as they were closing the bar just to make sure we had enough drinks and it was all down to me making a plonker of myself trying to speak Spanish!

Brilliant! thats what I like even speaking a little spanish or trying to goes a very long way, people remember you and help you along with the right words to say and so you learn a little bit more everytime you try :D

Sal
21-10-2011, 19:23
I do try, but not I'm not very good. Obviously Hola, Buonas dias, Por favor, Gracias, Adios and when in a taxi - aquí! :shy:
Must try harder!