PDA

View Full Version : Would the Tenerife Forum members kick up a fuss about this?

DaveRF
07-06-2011, 20:17
My aunt is having her kitchen worktops replaced with Italian Marble. The guys fitted them today and broke her sink. They phoned their boss who said "Tell her to claim on her house Insurance".

My aunt rang him herself and said no way and that she isn't paying him a penny for the worktops (which aren't cheap) until the sink is replaced by him. He's still refusing so stalemate just now.

I can't believe they would try and make her claim and lose her no claims when they broke the sink.

Is she right to stand her ground? I'd threaten him with all the local press if he doesn't give in.

Tom & Sharon
07-06-2011, 20:20
A quick call to the local trading standards should sort them out.

They must have public liablility insurance themselves anyway.

Harmonicaman
07-06-2011, 20:22
Tell her to get on to her local MP. It's amazing what an official looking letterhead can do!

sunspot
07-06-2011, 20:22
My aunt is having her kitchen worktops replaced with Italian Marble. The guys fitted them today and broke her sink. They phoned their boss who said "Tell her to claim on her house Insurance".

My aunt rang him herself and said no way and that she isn't paying him a penny for the worktops (which aren't cheap) until the sink is replaced by him. He's still refusing so stalemate just now.
I can't believe they would try and make her claim and lose her no claims when they broke the sink.

Is she right to stand her ground? I'd threaten him with all the local press if he doesn't give in.

Cheeky blighters,their fault,they pay,i would stand my ground if i was her

DaveRF
07-06-2011, 20:29
Trading standards sounds like a good start. Maybe if she tells him first that she is going to call them and that might do the trick.

marbro8
07-06-2011, 20:32
NO WAY would i pay them, in fact the worktops have got to be dearer than the replacement of the sink so i would pay someone to replace it out of the worktop cash and just give them the balance, failing that just hold them to ransom until they have done it or get on the phone to trading standards:lol:

AL JAY
07-06-2011, 20:35
The boss is definately trying it on Dave, I think the scare tactics might work if your Aunt says she's phoning Trading standards or even Watchdog, they won't want bad publicity.

reggie
07-06-2011, 20:42
First off, you have to give them opertunity to put it right, You cant just do it with their money, nice and calm say fix my sink, then you get payed, you have 1 day, then tell trading standards about it, after 1 day without a sink, you replace it, and wait to see whar TS says, before you pay them, When you have the money you have the power, I once had it with a mega large company, i didnt pay them until i was happy, 30 months, it took,

DaveRF
07-06-2011, 20:42
NO WAY would i pay them, in fact the worktops have got to be dearer than the replacement of the sink so i would pay someone to replace it out of the worktop cash and just give them the balance, failing that just hold them to ransom until they have done it or get on the phone to trading standards:lol:

I like that option thanks.

9PLUS
07-06-2011, 20:50
"Tell her to claim on her house Insurance"

How on earth could they say that when they'd broken it?

I would refuse to pay them since they've kicked that one up, if they had of said sorry madam we'll get you another it was an accident, they may of received payment/money pending

Jimandsi
07-06-2011, 20:55
Did she get a formal quotation from the Company ? If so, then that should have all their T's & C's on it including their insurance cover and complaints procedure etc.

If no quotation was given and they are doing the job for cash - report them (in complete confidence) to HMRC http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tax-evasion/index.htm

cainaries
Out here in the boonies we had a similar situation. New kitchen being installed and after the fridge freezer had been squeezed into its slot we noticed both doors had huge dents in them. We had to make the final payment so we just held on to it whilst people sobbed and cried on the phone saying they would be sacked if we didn't pay. Told us we had to claim on our house insurance .. joking no? After about a two month stand-off a man came and took lots of photos and disappeared and a month later the new doors arrived and we were told to keep the damaged ones to claim against our insurance. Not logical. Since we had the new doors and everything was hunky dory we made the final payment. I would advise your aunt to hang on in there but not be too aggressive until the situation is completely clear.

DaveRF
I just spoke with her and he called back about an hour ago saying he will replace the sink by the end of the week. Thanks folks for al the advice. It's a good result and I suspect he realised he was going to get nowhere. Plus the bill is outstanding for the marble and he will be wanting that paid.

Jimandsi
07-06-2011, 21:01
Oh, and stick her old sink on ebay :crylaughing:

Tom & Sharon
07-06-2011, 21:07
First off, you have to give them opportunity to put it right, You cant just do it with their money, nice and calm say fix my sink, then you get payed, you have 1 day, then tell trading standards about it, after 1 day without a sink, you replace it, and wait to see what TS says, before you pay them, When you have the money you have the power, I once had it with a mega large company, i didnt pay them until i was happy, 30 months, it took,

Might need the sink before then reggie:whistle:

reggie
07-06-2011, 21:19
Might need the sink before then reggie:whistle:

Well it wasnt a sink, but two 12ft bay windows, I told them to take them out, he said but you wont have any windows, dont care i said, not paying for them, got 2 more eventuly, cheeky bleeders

with cheese
07-06-2011, 21:28
Make sure she still doesn't pay them until completion.
If it all goes tits up again by Friday tell them to sue you for the money so as you can counter claim. Get someone local to give you a new one cash in stash and a bigger receipt.
Go to court defend yourself, they will have to pay the cost of court and guaranteed your claim will be upheld.

reggie
07-06-2011, 21:38
Make sure she still doesn't pay them until completion.
If it all goes tits up again by Friday tell them to sue you for the money so as you can counter claim. Get someone local to give you a new one cash in stash and a bigger receipt.
Go to court defend yourself, they will have to pay the cost of court and guaranteed your claim will be upheld.

Failing that, have them beaten, :mad:

with cheese
07-06-2011, 21:44
Failing that, have them beaten, :mad:
Smash your sink through his car window and turn the taps on. lol

cainaries
07-06-2011, 22:53
I just spoke with her and he called back about an hour ago saying he will replace the sink by the end of the week. Thanks folks for al the advice. It's a good result and I suspect he realised he was going to get nowhere. Plus the bill is outstanding for the marble and he will be wanting that paid.

Marble worth more than sink so your aunt just has to sit tight and the guy will sort it out. Given all the aggro suggested on here I'm glad I'm not dealing with fellow Forum members in any businesses. Of course the guy is going to try it on at the beginning because he's annoyed that his workers have cost him money. It'll be cheaper for him to replace the sink and be paid in full for the marble and take a small hit on his own insurance for the sink and he knows this but it was worth a go to see if your aunt would be stupid enough to fall for it.

with cheese
07-06-2011, 22:56
Tell your aunt to take him down to the river and lob him in, Sink or Swim

DaveRF
07-06-2011, 22:58
Tell your aunt to take him down to the river and lob him in, Sink or Swim

Well she might be in her 60's but I wouldn't want to cross or tackle her;)