PDA

View Full Version : Other Can anyone recommend the Silencio to Los Abrigos coastal walk in south Tenerife?

Derby Golfer
17-10-2011, 11:40
Hi,
We are over in November for our usual week of golf, beer and walking. Can't come soon enough as winter is fast approaching in Derbyshire.
This year we want to do the Costa del Silencio to Los Abrigos coast walk. Has anyone done it and can anyone recommend it please ?

Goforgold
17-10-2011, 11:47
Hi,
We are over in November for our usual week of golf, beer and walking. Can't come soon enough as winter is fast approaching in Derbyshire.
This year we want to do the Costa del Silencio to Los Abrigos coast walk. Has anyone done it and can anyone recommend it please ?

Hi Derby Golfer - sorry not done that walk yet, but I too would be interested to hear from anyone who has.

atlantico
17-10-2011, 11:52
yep, done that one, every time we eat/drink out in Amarilla or San Blas, we leave the car and then walk that way to collect it in morning.

Goforgold
17-10-2011, 11:59
yep, done that one, every time we eat/drink out in Amarilla or San Blas, we leave the car and then walk that way to collect it in morning.

How long does it take to do the walk Atlantico? Sober of course!! ;)

Skeggy
17-10-2011, 12:17
I will be walking between Silencio and Abrigos several times during November and December, having walked it many times it takes us about one and a half hours approx sometimes quicker, incidently this is the time that David Brawn of Discovery Walking Guides indicates in his 35 walks of Tenerife guide book. This is a very popular walk along clearly defined paths on which you can't go wrong.

Derby Golfer
17-10-2011, 13:02
Thanks for that Skeggy. I'm using David Brawns book, which suggests 14km and 3.5 hrs to complete. Are you doing a shortened version of his route or has he included a long liquid lunch ?
He also suggests climbing Montana Amarilla for an alternative extra on the walk. Have you done this too ?

wigjam
17-10-2011, 13:11
I often walk from Amarilla to Los Abrigos. Much of the path has been improved but you do need good walking shoes as there is a lot of volcanic rock on the path around the Amarilla golf area. The path is also quite steep in places and can be uneven.
Having said that, I love walking along the path. I usually stop for a drink either at the Dutch pancake cafe near the Aquamirana hotel or on the terrace at the el Nautico You could do both though!! Then of course there are lots of bars at Los Abrigos.

Skeggy
17-10-2011, 15:55
Thanks for that Skeggy. I'm using David Brawns book, which suggests 14km and 3.5 hrs to complete. Are you doing a shortened version of his route or has he included a long liquid lunch ?
He also suggests climbing Montana Amarilla for an alternative extra on the walk. Have you done this too ?
Brawn's times are for the return walk but usually we have a drink and eats in Abrigos and catch the bus back you can climb Amaralla to start or finish, we start at the path near Coral Mar but have climbed Amarilla from both sides, I do not enjoy finishing on the sea side of Amarilla as it gets very slippy and the tides can cause difficulties, In April as we walked to Abrigos we met a fellow walker marching along wearing nothing but a baseball cap and a knapsack he was very lucky not to get his bits burnt as it was quite hot that day, you may meet us along the route in November but we will be suitably attired, haha.

kellyman
19-10-2011, 15:23
We have been thinking about doing this walk for a while now. Is it easy, or very steep? We would walk from Amarilla golf to Las Galletas.

Skeggy
19-10-2011, 16:51
This would be a very pleasant walk for you, you require Walking Boots, Shoes or Strong trainers, the path from the Golf to Silencio is very well defined, rocky in parts, sandy in others and often will offer several choices but if you are walking to Galletas aim for the right hand base of Mount Amarilla this will bring you out at Coral Mar Silencio, from there you follow the Avda Julio Tavio which the main road and follow this down into Galletas, you could take the left hand side of Amarilla which is affected by the tides and follow the route along the coast which would bring you out at the Hermusa Supermarket and West Haven Bay, but you will then have to walk along the road bearing left which will bring you out at Ten Bel... Good Luck Enjoy.:wave: