PDA

View Full Version : How do you think the Volcanic eruption will affect The Canary Islands?

Fred Perry
17-10-2011, 21:46
I must say that I am quite suprised about the lack of posts on the forum regarding the Volcanic crisis we are currently facing in El Hierro. I know there is a post on the "News" thread but it is not that busy on there.

This is potentially the biggest story here since the Worldīs worst airport disaster in 1977 at Los Rodeos(Tenerife North).

All the experts agree that any day now the volcanic activity will rise from the sea off El Hierro creating a brand new Island. The last eruption was in 1971 on the Island of La Palma but this one will be bigger according to the scientists.

There is nothing to worry about here on Tenerife, we will not be directly affected. It is a different type volcano from the Iceland one of last year and the experts say that an ash cloud will not be as big therefore not closing airports in the archipelago(except the small one on El Hierro itself).

The worse thing that can happen is how the UK media report this and any sensationalism on their part could seriously damage tourism for many months (even though we are totally safe here).

In the long term it has been reported that El Hierro could benefit from the event, attracting tourism similar to Hawaii.

Next few days will be crucial, we are now at stage 2 in the eruption process. The sea has changed colour to a greeny mix and magma can be seen on the sea surface. A swirling area the size of a penalty area has formed where bubbles and gases have pushed to the surface. The smell of sulphur is strong around the south coast of the Island (El Hierro).

Strangley enough the last two Canarian eruptions(1971 La Palma & 1909 Tenerife) both occured at this time of the year but there is no evidence that the moon fases for example can affect lava flow but it is possible.

This video was taken today. The sea is green and now black at the epicenter. The swirling area will be the peak of the volcano(if it progresses as is the norm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2I8ub2e6qM&feature=player_embedded

Jackie
17-10-2011, 22:04
Fred I think the lack of posts from members is probably the same reason as mine. As in any news worthy event that happens here there are always 2 or 3 members that keep everyone updated with news reports and photos/videos as yours above, so although not many people are posting I bet they are all reading. Don't let the fact that people are not posting put you or any other members off of keeping us all updated because I read the posts about the eruption everyday with interest and anticipation.

I know there is nothing for us on Tenerife to be worried about by the El Hierro eruption but what about this one

http://www.canariesnews.com/2011/10/17/earthquake-detected-underwater-between-tenerife-and-gran-canaria/

rosemary
17-10-2011, 22:26
Thanks for putting up this new thread Fred. I am surprised by the lack of anything reported in the UK media. All I have seen was initially a few days ago a small article in the Guardian online. Why are they all so disinterested?? Itīs amazing and wonderful whatīs happening. But I am not at all happy about this tremor between us and Gran Canaria though!

Santiago
17-10-2011, 22:36
Fred, like Jackie, I am reading as much about the eruption near El Hierro as I can find on the Forum and the Internet, which is not a great deal. I don't make comments because I am not out in the Canaries and neither am I a vulcanologist. I very much appreciate any information which anyone posts on the Forum as, unlike Jackie, I AM a little concerned. I am sure that for many of us, who are hoping to come out to the Southern islands for our holidays before Christmas, there is some worry that the eruption could be greater than expected and with the news which Jackie posted above, there could be other problems not yet thought of around the islands.

I am sure that all the people who enjoy holidays in the Canaries, and more so the people who live there, are well aware that they are volcanic and that they were formed by eruptions. Yes, that was generally many aeons ago but there is nothing to say that new islands cannot be formed now just because there has been little or no activity in recent years. In addition, Teide and some of the volcanoes surrounding Las Canadas are mainly dormant and not extinct and erupt about every 100 years - the last time being El Chinyero in 1909!

However, many thanks to anyone who contributes information about either of the two incidents mentioned above - you are appreciated and read by many who make no comment.

Fred Perry
17-10-2011, 22:42
The small tremor felt between Gran Canaria & Tenerife is normal and it happens often. It is not connected to the El Hierro situation.

The main reason for my post is not to inform as such (that can go on the News thread) but to see peopleīs reactions as many seem to be unaware about all of this.

There should be no scaremongering obviously but all I am saying is that for example later this week when it could possibly blow, all we need is for The Sun to show a headline "Canary Islands Eruption". Holidaymakers just see that and think everywhere (including Tenerife) is in danger but that would be false.

I am suprised that more forum members are not worried about the potential disaster this could cause to the short term tourist trade with a busy time coming up.

Santiago
17-10-2011, 22:53
This site gives another update: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/10/el-hierro-eruption-continues-but-not-likely-to-form-new-island/

YOUNG GOLFER
17-10-2011, 23:20
The small tremor felt between Gran Canaria & Tenerife is normal and it happens often. It is not connected to the El Hierro situation.

The main reason for my post is not to inform as such (that can go on the News thread) but to see peopleīs reactions as many seem to be unaware about all of this.

There should be no scaremongering obviously but all I am saying is that for example later this week when it could possibly blow, all we need is for The Sun to show a headline "Canary Islands Eruption". Holidaymakers just see that and think everywhere (including Tenerife) is in danger but that would be false.

I am suprised that more forum members are not worried about the potential disaster this could cause to the short term tourist trade with a busy time coming up.

I have been reading all the post on El Hierro and my daughter is really interested in what might happen.

But potential disaster might be a little OTT in my eyes.......told by a very good friend of mine who is now 76yrs old (after beating Cancer and Major heart opp) his saying is worry about it IF it happens not before...i use that saying a lot and he is right.

Fred Perry
17-10-2011, 23:35
I have been reading all the post on El Hierro and my daughter is really interested in what might happen.

But potential disaster might be a little OTT in my eyes.......told by a very good friend of mine who is now 76yrs old (after beating Cancer and Major heart opp) his saying is worry about it IF it happens not before...i use that saying a lot and he is right.

"Potential Disaster" to tourism Stu I meant IF it goes up, depending on the way the UK Media report it. We all know that life here on Tenerife goes on and will remain to do so even if it a visible eruption takes place on El Hierro or at sea. That is what we need to drum into people on this forum because if I was a potential tourist in the UK and read about a volcanic eruption (in the way the senstionalist press can report events)I would not come near the Canaries.

This really should NOT put off anyone visiting short term & long term it could become a great tourist attraction!

Sylla
18-10-2011, 00:04
I will be visiting the North soon:scared: haven't canceled yet !:sunburn:

Thanks for all the link updates ...:sailing:

michele
18-10-2011, 07:42
thank you for all the information,we have been reading but made no comment till now..we are coming over in dec for 6 wks and as long as the plane takes off we will be with you :)its fantastic to watch the videos and yes we have not seen any english press about el hierro......keep on with the updates as its a fantastic way to see and get true information....thank you michele :thanx:

Chayofa Tete
18-10-2011, 07:53
Please keep posting all those in the know as we are getting no information on this in the UK,I find it fascinating and just hope that no one on the islands is in any danger.I certainly will not be put off coming over but take the point that with some sensational news reporting some may well be.

PhilCrean
18-10-2011, 10:23
It's a fascinating occurrence that's going on here, and should be exciting geologists and vulcanologists as well as us mere mortals. I'm following all
the news I can get here and on the other links.

However a question re this:....."A swirling area the size of a penalty area has formed where bubbles and gases have pushed to the surface"... What's a penalty area?

Phil

Nigel
18-10-2011, 11:19
Fred I think the lack of posts from members is probably the same reason as mine. As in any news worthy event that happens here there are always 2 or 3 members that keep everyone updated with news reports and photos/videos as yours above, so although not many people are posting I bet they are all reading. Don't let the fact that people are not posting put you or any other members off of keeping us all updated because I read the posts about the eruption everyday with interest and anticipation.

I know there is nothing for us on Tenerife to be worried about by the El Hierro eruption but what about this one

http://www.canariesnews.com/2011/10/17/earthquake-detected-underwater-between-tenerife-and-gran-canaria/

This article doesn't make sense. They have 2 pictures showing the earthquake off Garachico and another saying it's between Tenerife and Gran Canaria. Garachico is the oposite side of Tenerife to Gran Canaria!

rosemary
18-10-2011, 11:51
http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

bonitatime
18-10-2011, 13:06
It looks to be calming down according to the website you have there Rosemanry.
This is great news

warbey
18-10-2011, 19:19
I too have been reading the Eruption reports.
I think People are better informed nowadays and unless
They are told of SPECIFIC Danger will Holiday as usual.
I am certainly not cancelling My Booking.

PhilCrean
19-10-2011, 08:43
It's a fascinating occurrence that's going on here, and should be exciting geologists and vulcanologists as well as us mere mortals. I'm following all
the news I can get here and on the other links.

However a question re this:....."A swirling area the size of a penalty area has formed where bubbles and gases have pushed to the surface"... What's a penalty area?

Phil
So nobody else knows either!!!

Fred Perry
19-10-2011, 10:32
So nobody else knows either!!!

How do you want me to describe the size of the zone affected then? Even my 5 year old neighbour knows the size of a penalty area. 99.9% of the entire population of Western Europe have either seen a football pitch or stood on one.

PhilCrean
19-10-2011, 10:51
I've seen and stood on a few football pitches(including Wembley) but I still don't know the size of the penalty area!
I just think it restricts the image of size to football fans who can relate to these things, whilst the rest of us haven't really got an idea.

You could use square metres, or square feet.

YOUNG GOLFER
19-10-2011, 10:55
I've seen and stood on a few football pitches(including Wembley) but I still don't know the size of the penalty area!
I just think it restricts the image of size to football fans who can relate to these things, whilst the rest of us haven't really got an idea.

The penalty area (colloquially also known as the 18-yard box, penalty box or simply the box), is an area of an association football pitch. It is rectangular and extends 16.5 metres (54 ft) to each side of the goal and 16.5 metres (54 ft) in front of it. Within the penalty area is the penalty spot (or penalty mark), which is 11 metres (36 ft) from the goal line, directly in-line with the centre of the goal. A penalty arc adjoins the penalty area, and encloses the area within 9.15 metres (30.0 ft) from the penalty spot; it does not form part of the penalty area and is only of relevance during the taking of a penalty kick.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Penalty+area+photo&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=dao&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=J5-eTsmzHcmU8gOF4P2nCQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=578

Fred Perry
19-10-2011, 11:45

You are just being picky. I think most people even though not football fans know the size (more or less) of a penalty area.

Okay, if it helps you; A swirling area the size of 8,580 cigarette packets laid side by side has formed where bubbles and gases have pushed to the surface"...

PhilCrean
19-10-2011, 11:58
The penalty area (colloquially also known as the 18-yard box, penalty box or simply the box), is an area of an association football pitch. It is rectangular and extends 16.5 metres (54 ft) to each side of the goal and 16.5 metres (54 ft) in front of it. Within the penalty area is the penalty spot (or penalty mark), which is 11 metres (36 ft) from the goal line, directly in-line with the centre of the goal. A penalty arc adjoins the penalty area, and encloses the area within 9.15 metres (30.0 ft) from the penalty spot; it does not form part of the penalty area and is only of relevance during the taking of a penalty kick.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Penalty+area+photo&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=dao&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=J5-eTsmzHcmU8gOF4P2nCQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=578

Thanks

That's exactly what I wanted to know: about 500 sq metres.:thanx:

Fred Perry
19-10-2011, 12:26
Thanks

Well, it has dissapeared now, so it doesīnt matter! :redcard: (thatīs a red card, but you wonīt know what that means)

YOUNG GOLFER
19-10-2011, 12:28
Thanks

Thats ok it's part of my new role on the forum Peace Keeper.:laugh:

Davethepubsinger
21-10-2011, 14:46
You are just being picky. I think most people even though not football fans know the size (more or less) of a penalty area.

Okay, if it helps you; A swirling area the size of 8,580 cigarette packets laid side by side has formed where bubbles and gases have pushed to the surface"...

Fred, What's a cigarette packet?:cheeky:

marbro8
21-10-2011, 20:10
"Potential Disaster" to tourism Stu I meant IF it goes up, depending on the way the UK Media report it. We all know that life here on Tenerife goes on and will remain to do so even if it a visible eruption takes place on El Hierro or at sea. That is what we need to drum into people on this forum because if I was a potential tourist in the UK and read about a volcanic eruption (in the way the senstionalist press can report events)I would not come near the Canaries.

This really should NOT put off anyone visiting short term & long term it could become a great tourist attraction!that is exactly what i tried to say on the other thread about the situation but andy got the wrong idea that i was trying to trivialise the situation???

lcbandit
07-11-2011, 07:42
well ive been out to tenerife and come back and up until i saw something andy had posted on facebook this is the first i'd heard about the volcanic eruptions, not one person mentioned it whilst I was out there!

bonitatime
07-11-2011, 10:50
There is an article in the local press about a tourist from Malaga who caught the ferry from the mainland and then the one to El Hierro to see the eruption. He was sad he had missed the bubbles as he was doing something else at that moment.