PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to the El Mirador strip in Los Cristianos, Tenerife?

dragonlady
18-10-2011, 20:31
What has happened to the so called up market El Mirador strip.
There are some lovely new restaurants, and the original ones seem to be busy as well. but it is impossible to walk along the pavements at night due to the number of "smokers" outside the bars also most of the bars seem to be in competition to the extent that the entertainment gets louder and louder often drowning out normal conversation when you are eating in the restaurants.
Our waiter was very apologetic. Also the pavements are disgusting when you pass this area in the daytime as they are dirty and covered with cigarette butts!!!!!!!!!!!

All the businesses need to be very careful as tourists and locals are more discerning than they give us credit for.
I loved the area and have always had a wonderful holiday, enjoying the tribute acts the lovely restaurants.
But I dont want "heavy metal" ringing in my ears as I walk past and the outside touts are a nuisance.

Most of the bars ( Taylors and others) have been refurbished and are really high end establishments, so are most of the restaurants, these quality businesses will ultimately suffer and the area in general.

YOUNG GOLFER
18-10-2011, 22:31
Hope i can help the smoking part out for you--------------------i would like to see bar owners get one of those big ashtrays out-side their bars it could save a lot of hassle.....Outside a bar the other week and not a word of a lie there were 100s of butts everywhere.

Bar owners it's you bar your customers and i think it's up to you to help keep it clean.:)

I have a ashtray out-side my office for clients who wish to have a ciggie.

sunspot
18-10-2011, 22:35
Hope i can help the smoking part out for you--------------------i would like to see bar owners get one of those big ashtrays out-side their bars it could same a lot of hassle.....Outside a bar the other week and not a word of a lie there were 100s of butts everywhere.

Bar owners it's you bar your customers and i think it's up to you to help keep it clean.:)

Thats a great idea,the problem for many smokers is nowhere to stub out outside the bars and restaurants,im sure a bucket or big ashtray would work, i smoke and somewhere to stub out would be much appriciated

Carol55
18-10-2011, 22:39
Hope i can help the smoking part out for you--------------------i would like to see bar owners get one of those big ashtrays out-side their bars it could same a lot of hassle.....Outside a bar the other week and not a word of a lie there were 100s of butts everywhere.

Thats a great idea,the problem for many smokers is nowhere to stub out outside the bars and restaurants,im sure a bucket or big ashtray would work, i smoke and somewhere to stub out would be much appriciated

The Shambles has one outside their bar, its mainly the PRs and their friends that stand outside the bars smoking on the Mirador strip.

Red Devil
18-10-2011, 23:09
The Shambles has one outside their bar, its mainly the PRs and their friends that stand outside the bars smoking on the Mirador strip.

People can still smoke in the outdoor area of bars so there is no reason to smoke on the street, unless it is the PR's as you say.
The Mirador strip IS getting spoilt, by the PR's as well. I kept crossing over to avoid them last winter and my sister did exactly the same thing last week. They are stopping customers, not getting them in - no way do I even stop and read a menu if someone is breathing down my neck, so customer is lost, not gained

CIM
19-10-2011, 10:14
I feel the same if I am wanting to eat. Nice to be able to just read the menu without being pestered!
Haven't noticed it being a problem on El Mirador though. Then again I only go in O Jangles on there really.

Carol55
19-10-2011, 10:23
I feel the same if I am wanting to eat. Nice to be able to just read the menu without being pestered!
Haven't noticed it being a problem on El Mirador though. Then again I only go in O Jangles on there really.

Walking on most evenings between the main entrance of the El Mirador apartments towards the Shambles you will normally be asked by 8-11 PRs if you would like to join them, once they know your face, its normally a "are you off down the town and we might see you later". No real problem for us, but for some one who has not visited the area before, then I could see it as being a bit of a pain in the b*m!:(

CIM
19-10-2011, 10:33
Hmm, they should maybe all decide to go "PR free" for a week and see if it actually makes a difference. I suppose the better situated bars will be keener than those in not so prominent locations though.
Maybe a cardboard cutout of a PR with a Menu pinned to it, placed where a PR would normally stand would be more appealing for customers :)

West mids tyke
19-10-2011, 10:48
its poor if the bar needs a PR to get business, surely just by looking at a place not only on the Mirador Strip but anywhere really restaurants etc included you can tell how good a place is by the number of people in there, if its empty then avoid if its busy or full get in there and enjoy thats my theory and this year we will be getting out around a few bars not only on the strip, as regards the cig thing in the UK places have those metal grill things for stubbing out and bins for the after math and ash, just my bit to the discussion

malagabob
19-10-2011, 10:55
Where is this El Mirador strip?

Carol55
19-10-2011, 10:57

Up the hill from the market, past the Victoria Court apartments and outside of the El Mirador complex of residential apartments.:)

karinagal
19-10-2011, 10:58

Outside the El Mirador apartments, about 3/4 of the way up cardiac hill in Los Cristianos. Lovely apartments - stayed there once....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

delderek
19-10-2011, 10:59
Trouble is with the ciggy buts on El Mirador is the Lava rock chippings, which now contains thousands of buts,,,but how the hell can they be removed? Can't be swept, Can't be hoovered, only one by one as far as I can see

CIM
19-10-2011, 11:03
Click here to see it on a map:
http://g.co/maps/4b2sx

YOUNG GOLFER
19-10-2011, 11:06
http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/73B3D771-2CC5-4432-84C1-60D09EFE0E1F/0/LitterOnAsphaltlg.jpg

You could maybe use a rake that could do it.

CIM
19-10-2011, 11:09
Trouble is with the ciggy buts on El Mirador is the Lava rock chippings, which now contains thousands of buts,,,but how the hell can they be removed? Can't be swept, Can't be hoovered, only one by one as far as I can see

Well done for volunteering Del! Iīll chip in for some bin bags if you like :spin:

YOUNG GOLFER
19-10-2011, 11:12
Looks like this has already been news.

http://www.tenerifenews.com/index.php/news-mainmenu-1/features-mainmenu-26/17227-no-butts-please-use-an-ashtray

seanocelt
19-10-2011, 11:30
A "P.R" free world would suit me. Rents for "location, location, location" are high enough without this added added cost. IF you have a difficult to find unit i understand the need. The smoking rules are only a year in, and i think initially the town hall helped with the butts, but it will be a bar owners problem now. And no doubt a new " fine" will be dreamed up to add more to the coffers.

delderek
19-10-2011, 11:34
http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/73B3D771-2CC5-4432-84C1-60D09EFE0E1F/0/LitterOnAsphaltlg.jpg

You could maybe use a rake that could do it.

I don't actually think that would work, although it would cover them up, better than nothing I suppose. I have seen Bars that have used window boxes filled with sand in nice wrought iron frames, unfortunately they get stolen every couple of weeks.:confused:

Added after 5 minutes:

Well done for volunteering Del! Iīll chip in for some bin bags if you like :spin:

Better still, free drink at O'jangles for every 100 buts you pick up:wink:

murph
19-10-2011, 11:41
We ended up only drinking on this strip this year, having eaten there in previous years. Instead we ate down at the front most nights, and enjoyed it.
There were a couple of reasons as already mentioned

- The PR's - you can't look at a menu without being set upon and feeling lousy if you move on
- The people hanging round smoking - I agree that some of these were the PR's and their pals but there were also a number of adults neither eating or drinking.

It turns out they were parents of teenagers going to the 'Creche' as we called it - one of the bars has been turned into nightclub for kids. This was the other reason we stayed away.

It's such a shame because this was a great strip for food and drink but you don't need to think about all this when you are on holiday

Balcony
20-10-2011, 16:11
We usually walk past El Mirador on our way to the beach, or for a meal in the evening. We usually get totally pee'd off by the PRs, so on principal won't stop anywhere there is one bothering us.

The one restaurant, El Pardron we liked closed some time ago. Others we have tried never quite impressed us at all. It was very much 'food ordinaire'. We actually had two restaurants recommended to us and tried both, which were totally dismal.

Taylors is a nice bar to stop for one on the way!

Suej
20-10-2011, 16:36
So many bar owners/staff never cleaned or changed the ashtrays when smoking was allowed inside! they will hardly bother to clean up the buts on the pavements now!:redcard:

kingbaker
20-10-2011, 17:28
OH Suej thats very severe, tell me who's responsible for the cleaning of footpaths and the persecution or even prosecution
of litterbugs?

Bring back the WOMBLES ---thats what I say..........ANYONE AGREE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP7CDvQULXw

Thanks Jackie!!

Suej
20-10-2011, 18:26
Litter, spat out chewing gum and dog pooh on the pavements are all a big problem here! now itīs ciagarette butts!:twak:

Jackie
20-10-2011, 20:00
Litter, spat out chewing gum and dog pooh on the pavements are all a big problem here! now itīs ciagarette butts!:twak:

Would rather tread on a fag butt than doggy doo or chewing gum ;)

kingbaker
20-10-2011, 20:07

Was trying to put a few WOMBLES songs here from utube but didn't succeed can u do it? :wave::wave:

Suej
20-10-2011, 20:12
Me too Jackie, have replaced my new car mats and ruined a good pair of shoes on soggy chewing gum in the past! eek2:

Jackie
20-10-2011, 20:23
Here you go KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2mJPSccvo

Balcony
21-10-2011, 07:57
Would rather restaurant and bar owners had some pride to keep their area of pavement clean and tidy!

Mawkin
21-10-2011, 10:24
Would rather restaurant and bar owners had some pride to keep their area of pavement clean and tidy!

I also wonder how clean the kitchen is if they cannot be bothered to keep the entrance to the establishment clean and tidy. As most people judge the appearance when selecting where to eat and drink not many like fighting the way through rubbish .

CIM
21-10-2011, 10:28
I also wonder how clean the kitchen is if they cannot be bothered to keep the entrance to the establishment clean and tidy. As most people judge the appearance when selecting where to eat and drink not many like fighting the way through rubbish .

I dont thats very fair! If you are worried about the cleanliness of a kitchen in the establishment you are going to eat in, ask them if you can take a look.

Jollypolly
21-10-2011, 10:43

The toilets are also a good indicator

kingbaker
21-10-2011, 10:54
I dont thats very fair! If you are worried about the cleanliness of a kitchen in the establishment you are going to eat in, ask them if you can take a look.
A good point but unfortunately only about 5% of people complain the rest go elsewhere and don't return

Tom & Sharon
21-10-2011, 12:01

I think that's fair. It's a reflection of your overall standards.

Red Devil
21-10-2011, 12:51
Now El Mirador has settled as an established row of bars/restaurants I feel it is getting a bit like all the other strips in Tenerife and can easily become slightly shoddy unless great care is taken by all the bar owners.
It is quite a narrow pavement where they all are, not very well lit in parts and once the PR's and their friends etc are hanging about the entrances with a cig/drink in hand it can get quite congested.
I often cross over to avoid the questioning if I am just on my way somewhere- especially as same PR's ask me again when I'm on my way back!
Give us a break - if a bar is good people will return and word will spread.

Mawkin
21-10-2011, 14:58

I never ask to look in if I feel the place looks a tip-hole do you think the kitchen will be spotless?? Just cleaning the fag ends out of the flower pots makes a lot off difference to the appearance of a place. This is exactly l how feel approaching any business. If the windows are filthy , old faded posters in windows, PR outside with a fag dangling out of their mouth , no welcoming smile I am off down the road.

CIM
21-10-2011, 15:04
Well you seem to have gone from cigarette ends on public ground outside of a bar to the bar having a dirty or unhygienic kitchen. One is not an indication of the other. Of course if the bars actual premises look shabby then you may conclude from this what you like but the state of the pavement is not an indication of the cleanliness of the kitchen.

Balcony
21-10-2011, 16:03
I think the ciggie butts are all part of the 'kerb appeal' for the bar/restaurant (as are the f-ing PRs). There's too many alternatives than to worry about missing a few slovenly places.

marbro8
21-10-2011, 19:43
We usually walk past El Mirador on our way to the beach, or for a meal in the evening. We usually get totally pee'd off by the PRs, so on principal won't stop anywhere there is one bothering us.

The one restaurant, El Pardron we liked closed some time ago. Others we have tried never quite impressed us at all. It was very much 'food ordinaire'. We actually had two restaurants recommended to us and tried both, which were totally dismal.

Taylors is a nice bar to stop for one on the way!and paul does not employ a pr:bowdown:

Added after 17 minutes:

after coming to los cris-las americas for the last 6 years we know exactly where we are going to drink and eat no matter how many times we are stopped, so it begs the question do pr's actually work? or are they more of a put off? what does make me laugh is when you know you are going to eat or drink somewhere and start to make your way in and the pr immediately precedes you and show you to a table as if it was their sheer tenacity that got you in:c2:

warbey
21-10-2011, 20:30
and paul does not employ a pr:bowdown:

Added after 17 minutes:

after coming to los cris-las americas for the last 6 years we know exactly where we are going to drink and eat no matter how many times we are stopped, so it begs the question do pr's actually work? or are they more of a put off? what does make me laugh is when you know you are going to eat or drink somewhere and start to make your way in and the pr immediately precedes you and show you to a table as if it was their sheer tenacity that got you in:c2:

The P.R. gets comission per Customer. Showing You to a Table is Their way of registering another Punter/or two

Sal
21-10-2011, 20:37
I have loved the El Mirador strip of restaurants for a few years now (though some of the restaurants and bars have changed) and it would take more than a few fag ends to put me off. I know there are quality establishments with good service, friendly staff and good food, drinks and entertainment.

kingbaker
21-10-2011, 20:57
The P.R. gets comission per Customer. Showing You to a Table is Their way of registering another Punter/or two

The more I go to the reef, the more I go native........p***ed off being shepherded into various places, for someone elses commission. Some
nice Bodegas, up the hill in Vera de Erques -- Varagas being one --- can't remember the other. I believe they'll even drive you home
if you're staying locally. Well worth a look!!!!!

poshbird22
22-10-2011, 13:12
I agree - large ashtrays placed around the area would encourage smokers to use them instead of the floor. I am sorry to say that in the last couple of months, the pavements have become very unclean, not only with cigarettes but also broken glass on the corner from the glass recycle bank. Not to mention the aroma of urine from late night dwellers who cant be bothered to go in the bar and use the toilets! The Mirador strip has nice bars with good entertainment most nights and it is a shame that it is getting below standard comments.

tonypub
22-10-2011, 13:21
each bar should sweep there outside,it aint hard

dragonlady
22-10-2011, 13:25
Totally agree with poshbird.

We love the El Mirador area so please don't let the standards drop.
ALL the posts have been saying the same thing essentially. Some of the businesses will spoil it for all and like one other post stated it will become like many others and look very shoddy. Then the locals and tourists will move else where to eat,drink and enjoy themselves.

delderek
22-10-2011, 14:53
each bar should sweep there outside,it aint hard

It is very hard on Lava rock chippings, which is where the El Mirador buts are, see my previous posts.

YOUNG GOLFER
22-10-2011, 15:15
I am sure a leaf rake would do the trick 30 mins it would look a lot better.

As for a ashtray i would get a cabinet made on wheels a round hole in the middle with a bin inside a few inches of water to put out the ciggie as soon as it hit the water....you could even use the cabinet to display what entertainment act was on that night on the front and both sides or daily specials offers on beer ect.

kingbaker
22-10-2011, 17:51
I am sure a leaf rake would do the trick 30 mins it would look a lot better.

As for a ashtray i would get a cabinet made on wheels a round hole in the middle with a bin inside a few inches of water to put out the ciggie as soon as it hit the water....you could even use the cabinet to display what entertainment act was on that night on the front and both sides or daily specials offers on beer ect.

No need YG Smokers are a dying breed!!!!!