PDA

View Full Version : Other Some questions about camping in the North of Tenerife

mrkano
19-10-2011, 13:05
It was around this time last year I joined this forum as I booked a flight to Tenerife to come camping over the Christmas holiday.

Well I was so taken in by the last visit that I have decided to come back. Some of you might remember that I posted the last set of pictures (I was deleted in the old forum set up) so not too sure where my post is?

But hey. No problem.

Last year I spent all the time in the south west of the island , and probably only really climbing about 3000 feet (maybe less), this year I am going to the north of the island, where I have heard it is a lot greener, and I am hoping to camp above the clouds this time.... Somewhere in the north... (sea of clouds).

I was wanting to ask can anyone give me some information on this.

Where is an ideal place to witness the sea of clouds (is this possible in December)
What sort of temperature can I expect at night above the clouds? (I was fine last time but not that high up?)
I will be getting a bus from the airport to the north, how many Euros is this likely to be??
Are there less shops for food and drink in the north?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Mr Kano.. :wave:

stevem
19-10-2011, 14:29
The only thing I can tell you is it will be cold! North in winter on the side of Teide, expect snow! :spin:

mrkano
19-10-2011, 14:57
Snow??

I am not going all the way up..... I was in the south west last time, didn't see any snow..... But are you saying even just going to the north there will be snow..?? I am not camping anywhere near the top..... Just a good distance up to enjoy some nice views.......

stevem
19-10-2011, 15:35
Dependent on how high you go there will be snow. Weather in the North is not as clement as it is in the South, and the snow came down quite a way. Even in the South last year.

It will be chilly and wet no matter what, unless you are lucky :)

slodgedad
19-10-2011, 16:11
It was around this time last year I joined this forum as I booked a flight to Tenerife to come camping over the Christmas holiday.

Well I was so taken in by the last visit that I have decided to come back. Some of you might remember that I posted the last set of pictures (I was deleted in the old forum set up) so not too sure where my post is?

But hey. No problem.

Last year I spent all the time in the south west of the island , and probably only really climbing about 3000 feet (maybe less), this year I am going to the north of the island, where I have heard it is a lot greener, and I am hoping to camp above the clouds this time.... Somewhere in the north... (sea of clouds).

I was wanting to ask can anyone give me some information on this.

Where is an ideal place to witness the sea of clouds (is this possible in December)
What sort of temperature can I expect at night above the clouds? (I was fine last time but not that high up?)
I will be getting a bus from the airport to the north, how many Euros is this likely to be??
Are there less shops for food and drink in the north?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Mr Kano.. :wave:

Hi, everyone had to re register when the old forum crashed.

HERE (http://old.tenerifeforum.com/search.php?searchid=1724221) is a link to your old threads, which can be read but not responded to.

BTW, Welcome back..:welcome:

timmylish
19-10-2011, 16:12
Come December anything above 1200 mtrs. is likely to have snow flurries , at least. At that level you are in the forest area on the North side of El Teide, above La Oratava which will give you the cloud base as well. Although you,ll get protection from the weather in the forest I, for one, sure would not want to be up there if a bit of bad weather comes in off the Atlantic.
Have you seriously thought out what you want to do or, as I rather suspect, its a bit of a whim. You seem not to realise that you are talking about a height not far removed from the height of Ben Nevis. In the summer would you camp out in the open there?

stevem
19-10-2011, 16:25
Timmylish, you put it so much more eloquently than I managed!! :)

mrkano
19-10-2011, 18:54
Like I said I don't plan to go that high? Last year I was probably about 1500ft maybe, camping and it was ok, but that was on the south island.

So from what you guys are saying, camping above clouds is a definite no go.... I could maybe hike above the clouds and in the night come back below the clouds to camp in the forests....

Does this sound more feasible.

bonitatime
19-10-2011, 21:55
I remember you they were great photos
The bus to the north to Puerto de la Cruz is 10€ or 6.55€ if you buy a bono card

mrkano
20-10-2011, 00:01
What is a BONO card????

slodgedad
20-10-2011, 00:10
What is a BONO card????

A Bono card is a prepaid bus pass that gives big reductions on all your bus journeys.

Jackie
20-10-2011, 21:11
Mrkano I live in the hills and probably no where near as high as you are intending to go and believe me when it rains up here it rains, and that is without the snow that we usually get at that time of the year. There was snow on Teide earlier this week and although just on the peak the nearer to December you get and the more rain we get the lower the snow will fall. I wouldn't even want to camp in my garden during this time let alone higher up. It can get very cold, wet and damp at that time of the year the higher up you go

DOREEN QUINN
20-10-2011, 22:54
I agree Jackie, I know in our village in recent years the cooler months have been as low as 8c in a morning when we were leaving for work, not looking forwards to that again!!!

Jackie
21-10-2011, 06:42
I agree Jackie, I know in our village in recent years the cooler months have been as low as 8c in a morning when we were leaving for work, not looking forwards to that again!!!

Are you back up here Doreen??

and as low as 4 when we had the lower falling snow last year bbrrrrrr

kingbaker
21-10-2011, 21:16
Mrkano I live in the hills and probably no where near as high as you are intending to go and believe me when it rains up here it rains, and that is without the snow that we usually get at that time of the year. There was snow on Teide earlier this week and although just on the peak the nearer to December you get and the more rain we get the lower the snow will fall. I wouldn't even want to camp in my garden during this time let alone higher up. It can get very cold, wet and damp at that time of the year the higher up you go

And what part of the North Pole do you live at? I'm shivverrin' just thinkin about it. Deffo not goin' to yours for Crimbo yuk!!!!

Margaretta
22-10-2011, 01:17
The 'Sea of cloud' is best seen as you descend on the North side from the mountain peak after the visitor's centre and good viewpoints are on the way to and including the rose rock. You can bus up there and down the other side via a limited service. The days may be warm in Winter when the peak is snowy, but as said before the evenings and nights are freezing. I have seen wild dogs up there and they could be a problem, rumoured to hunt in packs by night.
One Winter's day we took the Izana road and headed into a severe blizzard; we managed to turn back. Last year there were a couple of days when we were unable to go far up due to ice and snow. It would be worth contacting tourist Information or the visitor's centre from the UK for advice before making a final decision.

DOREEN QUINN
22-10-2011, 13:32
Are you back up here Doreen??

and as low as 4 when we had the lower falling snow last year bbrrrrrr
Yes, since beginning of august, I believe you were talking to my mum at the bus stop a while ago!!
Not too clever today either, a;; my washing out and huge blobs of rain started, after last nights rain I didnt think it would comr down again today lol !!

El Viento
22-10-2011, 14:03
Last year I was camping at La Caldera near La Orotava (1200m above sea level) in January and I must say it was warm even in the night. There was some light rain during the night but nothing really drastic. Just take good tent and sleeping bag and you should be fine.

On these websites you can find information about free camp sites in Tenerife.

http://www.cabtfe.es/acampadas/site%20del%20cabildo/areas/medio%20ambiente/acampadas/aplicacion/web/acampadas.htm

http://www.webtenerife.com/PortalTenerife/Area+profesional/Area+industria+turistica/Actividades/Acampadas/zonas-acampada/?Lang=es

Jackie
22-10-2011, 18:23
Yes, since beginning of august, I believe you were talking to my mum at the bus stop a while ago!!
Not too clever today either, a;; my washing out and huge blobs of rain started, after last nights rain I didnt think it would comr down again today lol !!

oh Betty??? is that your mum. Yes we had a good natter at the bus stop and on the way down to Los Cristianos lol. Don't talk to me about wet washing haha, son just came back from UK with a case full of jeans and fleeces that have now been washed but I can't get dry gggrrrrr. Definately too early to start using the tumble dryer

And what part of the North Pole do you live at? I'm shivverrin' just thinkin about it. Deffo not goin' to yours for Crimbo yuk!!!!

You would be suprised how cold it gets up here in the hills, especially with no central heating or carpets lol

mrkano
07-11-2011, 16:46
Hi, quick one.... There are a few others coming now, about 5 of us in total.... can we get a joint bono card????

Also where can we get this bono card pre tenerife??? El Viento we like your post :)

??? ........... it puts a sad face when I put ? ? ? I am not sad/unhappy.... :)

Just asking questions.

slodgedad
07-11-2011, 17:02
Hi, quick one.... There are a few others coming now, about 5 of us in total.... can we get a joint bono card????

Also where can we get this bono card pre tenerife??? El Viento we like your post :)

??? ........... it puts a sad face when I put ? ? ? I am not sad/unhappy.... :)

Just asking questions.

Bono cards can be used by as many people as you like as long as there is enough credit, in other words they are not personal.

mrkano
07-11-2011, 18:51
Can we get there and then in the airport???

canarybird
07-11-2011, 19:05
I´m not sure if you can buy them in the airport, although you may find them in a kiosk there.

Look for the round green logo as on this link.

You can buy them at a bus station as well as some retail outlets such as news stands.

Here´s a link (http://www.just-tenerife.com/titsa.htm#BonoBus)about the local Titsa buses and the Bono card.

Canarybird