PDA

View Full Version : Help with formating problems

samnickgodber
19-10-2011, 21:18
I have a problem, when i put my sd card into my laptop the other day my laptop is telling me that i need to format the disc also the same happens with a usb pen too,
I have had both connected to my laptop before and not had this problem,,,,,,, has anyone any ideas please,,,,,,, it says if i format i will lose all data on it and i have all my recent holiday pics on it,,,,,,,,,help pleaseeeeee :confused:

karinagal
19-10-2011, 21:24
I've had the same problem as you with an SD card - I had to change the adaptor I was using and then it worked fine.. Not had a problem with usb memory...

Vortex Wake
19-10-2011, 21:27
Leave the sd card in the camera . Connect the camera to the laptop .

karinagal
19-10-2011, 21:34

Doh!! Well done VW - I always seem to go for the long winded, complicated approach.. the sd card I had the problem with was full of videos and stuff for the OH Samsung Galaxy tab. It came with an adaptor but it wouldn't work with that, luckily I also had a card reader and it worked fine then.

Vortex Wake
19-10-2011, 22:28
My Galaxy S phone would give up on a cheapo eBay Sd card I got after every 2weeks - meaning all data was lost.

timmylish
19-10-2011, 23:08
As most people will realise, SD Cards, like any other IT components come in a;; shapes and sizes, AND prices. I,m afraid to say that you have to pay for quality as the cheepies will, sooner or later, cause you grief!

Vortex Wake
19-10-2011, 23:13
As most people will realise, SD Cards, like any other IT components come in a;; shapes and sizes, AND prices. I,m afraid to say that you have to pay for quality as the cheepies will, sooner or later, cause you grief!

AND speeds timmy :)

Hence my extensive thread on the subject on this forum timmy ;)

fire13
19-10-2011, 23:42
Here's the thread just in case like me you are interested.

>>>Here<<< (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?9516-Can-anyone-recommend-an-online-Memory-Card-retailer)

samnickgodber
20-10-2011, 08:26

Tried that still says the same

Added after 4 minutes:

The sd card is a freebie i got with the camera but none of my sd cards with or without cable will load or my USB sticks, but my printer will work when plugged into the same ports so i gather it canīt be the USB ports can it ????

I want to try and get all my pics off it from Florida gggrrrr

Added after 38 minutes:

Just tried to format my USB stick and its saying that windows was unable to complete the format,,,, please tell me my laptop aint broke i never had to format anything before, iīm gonna go out soon to buy a new USB stick to see if i still have the same problem ggggrrrrr

atlantico
20-10-2011, 11:37
its cheap memory. They are classed as A or B. A = genuine, quality brand, B = Chinese rip-offs. Most problems occur when memory is tricked into showing it has larger volume than there really is, ie making a 4GB look as though it has 16GB, so when its full (4GB) errors occur

samnickgodber
20-10-2011, 12:41
its cheap memory. They are classed as A or B. A = genuine, quality brand, B = Chinese rip-offs. Most problems occur when memory is tricked into showing it has larger volume than there really is, ie making a 4GB look as though it has 16GB, so when its full (4GB) errors occur

How can i get my pics off it ?

Vortex Wake
20-10-2011, 12:48
Tried that still says the same

Added after 4 minutes:

The sd card is a freebie i got with the camera but none of my sd cards with or without cable will load or my USB sticks, but my printer will work when plugged into the same ports so i gather it canīt be the USB ports can it ????

I want to try and get all my pics off it from Florida gggrrrr

Added after 38 minutes:

Just tried to format my USB stick and its saying that windows was unable to complete the format,,,, please tell me my laptop aint broke i never had to format anything before, iīm gonna go out soon to buy a new USB stick to see if i still have the same problem ggggrrrrr

The pictures are still on the card and display on the camera screen ?

samnickgodber
20-10-2011, 13:10
The pictures are still on the card and display on the camera screen ?
Yes ,i just canīt put them on my laptop and i canīt take pictures from my laptop and put on to a disc or USB stick, iīm going to buy a new sd card and USB stick, but still unsure how i can get my pics off my sd card that wonīt load onto my laptop, the message keeps saying i need to format it and it has never said it before ???

Vortex Wake
20-10-2011, 13:39
Don't panic , and DON'T reformat!!!!!

Try getting an SD HD usb card reader (note the HD bit) ?

Try someone else's PC / Laptop.

Some home printers allow DIRECT connection to the camera USB for direct PC/Laptop less printing.

Some home printers accept SC cards.

samnickgodber
20-10-2011, 13:45
Don't panic , and DON'T reformat!!!!!

Try getting an SD HD usb card reader (note the HD bit) ?

Try someone else's PC / Laptop.

Some home printers allow DIRECT connection to the camera USB for direct PC/Laptop less printing.

Some home printers accept SC cards.

My printer accepts sd cards but i donīt want to print em off just wanted to put em on my laptop,

I tried re-formatting my USB stick as it only has some music on it but after a while it says windows was unable to complete the format ???

Vortex Wake
20-10-2011, 13:52
So with the SD card in the printer you can 'see' the picture / or print them?

The printer should/may allow the connected laptop to view / save the pictures files also.

samnickgodber
20-10-2011, 13:58
So with the SD card in the printer you can 'see' the picture / or print them?

The printer should/may allow the connected laptop to view / save the pictures files also.

With the printer i can see them and print em but its not really cost effective to print em all off, i will try and save them via the printer,

What amount of cash do you suggest spending on a SD card and a USB stick to store pictures on

Vortex Wake
20-10-2011, 14:08
With the printer i can see them and print em but its not really cost effective to print em all off, i will try and save them via the printer,

What amount of cash do you suggest spending on a SD card and a USB stick to store pictures on

Please read my thread here: -Can-anyone-recommend-an-online-Memory-Card-retailer (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?9516-Can-anyone-recommend-an-online-Memory-Card-retailer)

Balcony
20-10-2011, 16:21
Have you got someone you know who has a good (working) SD card, or do you have another card? Will you compouter recognise that?What happens if you just close the error message and the click on START/COMPUTER - does your computer show the card?

Have a look here. Maybe there is a solution http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/308902/sd-card-problem/

samnickgodber
20-10-2011, 19:02
Ok i brought a new USB stick and i am still having the same problem, so i guess i have a problem with my laptop and off to the shop with it tomorrow to get it fixed ggrrr

Markles
24-10-2011, 19:14
Probably a registry sub key knackered in windows.....head off to microsofts support to correct it.. This happens when sd cards USB sticks etc are pulled from a board before they finished talking to it or in other words you didn't ask for windows permission to remove it!

babybadger
28-11-2011, 21:00
Ok i brought a new USB stick and i am still having the same problem, so i guess i have a problem with my laptop and off to the shop with it tomorrow to get it fixed ggrrr

Put said SD card in Printer, connect printer to computer, look for the SD card as another drive like E: or F: etc, all pictures should be there.....

samnickgodber
29-11-2011, 09:22
Ok guys i eventually took it o witzend who tried to un-install and then re-install the drives but this didnīt work so they had to do the same with windows it-self and all is back to normal now, a huge thanks to witzend