PDA

View Full Version : Why do they dim the cabin lights for take off and landing?

karinagal
19-10-2011, 21:39
Of course, I could just ask the flight crew on Friday but I'm sure there are experts here that can answer this for me: Why do they dim the cabin lights for take off and landing in the hours of darkness? :dontknow:

Carol55
19-10-2011, 21:45
Of course, I could just ask the flight crew on Friday but I'm sure there are experts here that can answer this for me: Why do they dim the cabin lights for take off and landing in the hours of darkness? :dontknow:

I'm certainly no expert, but the reason I was given was that leaving the cabin lights on would cause a illumination around the outside of the plane and this would affect the pilots night vision. True or False?:duh:

DaveRF
19-10-2011, 21:52
I was once told it was so that if there were an emergency the passengers eyes would be adjusted to the dark and make for a quicker evacuation.

wannalivethere
19-10-2011, 21:53
I was told if the pilot had to abort a take off and rescuers had to open the doors it would help if they could see if the cabin was on fire, before opening the doors. True or False? :)

karinagal
19-10-2011, 22:04
I was once told it was so that if there were an emergency the passengers eyes would be adjusted to the dark and make for a quicker evacuation.
My OH also thinks that this is why - anyone out there know for sure?

DaveRF
19-10-2011, 22:08

All of the answers given above seem to make sense so you probably need someone in the industry to clarify for you.

Greg
19-10-2011, 22:09
Dave wins the prize:c2:

slodgedad
19-10-2011, 22:11
Sounds a reasonable answer. Look HERE (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AiF4ubRty9ssCNqSqYIwdcEjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid =20060707022608AAAyfpN)

karinagal
19-10-2011, 22:11
All of the answers given above seem to make sense so you probably need someone in the industry to clarify for you.

Thanks Dave - it's probably a combination of reasons. If I remember, I'll ask the question on my next flight and report back.... I suffer from being a bit of a nosy old bird - the ever demanding 'need to know'!! :D:D:D

Added after 2 minutes:

Thanks all - I'm happy now! Need to know has been satisfied!

DaveRF
19-10-2011, 22:14
Thanks Dave - it's probably a combination of reasons. If I remember, I'll ask the question on my next flight and report back.... I suffer from being a bit of a nosy old bird - the ever demanding 'need to know'!! :D:D:D

Same here but without the "old" and "bird" :laugh:

Carol55
19-10-2011, 22:21
I thought I should put this into the equation...Qantas Airlines, turn all cabin lights on to their brightest setting on take off and landing. Why?:dontknow:

fire13
19-10-2011, 23:27
Sounds right to me for the eyes to be accustomed etc. Plus they have lights on the floor which point to the nearest exit, easier to see in the dark if required.

Not sure about Qantas though! Maybe to see the end of the runway better. :spin:

kingbaker
20-10-2011, 00:11
Aren't Quantas the ones who fly upside down? Maybe thats it.

Added after 8 Hours 11 minutes:

OH always knows best!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harlequin
20-10-2011, 09:18
experts here...

Mmmm . . .

karinagal
20-10-2011, 09:28
Mmmm . . .

Your point being?!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kingbaker
20-10-2011, 10:37

Added after 2 minutes:

Thanks all - I'm happy now! Need to know has been satisfied!

Probs only do this when pasajeros are REALLLLLLLYYYYY ugly ha!ha!

TOTO 99
20-10-2011, 11:46
Probs only do this when pasajeros are REALLLLLLLYYYYY ugly ha!ha!

Absolutely correct..and this explains why I've never witnessed it happening on my flights..:whistle:

Angusjim
20-10-2011, 12:12
I thought I should put this into the equation...Qantas Airlines, turn all cabin lights on to their brightest setting on take off and landing. Why?:dontknow:

Would you want to be in the dark with a bunch of Australians remember they are decended from convicts :lol::whistle:d