PDA

View Full Version : Travel Why do airlines charge so much for a dog to travel to the UK from Tenerife?

dede
19-10-2011, 22:27
My sister who lives in the uk wants to adopt a dog and thought it would be nice to take one of the many poor souls from tenerife and give it a good home. But having spoken to the vice president of live arico we were shocked to find out just how much it costs to fly one over to the uk, it costs 580 poundseek2: and that is without any medical treatment it may need. I never realised that it costs so much and probably this is one of the main reasons that there are so many abandoned dogs here on the island, having said that it costs 70 euros to fly one to germany??? What is the difference????does anyone know why it is so expensive to the uk????

DaveRF
19-10-2011, 22:33
I have no idea Dede but that is around what it cost us to bring Sacha back to the UK. Add to that the costs of blood tests, passport etc etc and you're talking about the best part of a grand.

dede
19-10-2011, 22:46
Well its opened my eyes and i will probably have a different outlook on someone coming onto the forum trying to re home their doggie, if someone is having severe financial troubles and needs to return to the uk they have no chance of taking their pet back with them at that price.

Pets@Home
19-10-2011, 22:57
Hi Guys, No I do not know why they charge this much either. However I do flight shares for pets going back to the UK, saving each owner
approx 200/ 300 GBP each on their flight. The law is changing as at 01/01/2012, the quarantine period for dogs here will be 21 days
instead of 7 months. The bloodtest will no longer apply, the tick/flea treatment will no longer apply. So this leaves the gateway open for
owners to be able to afford to take their dogs back. The most expensive part of the old system is the 7 months quarantine in kennels,
it works out more than the airline ticket. Now this is changing, the quarantine is just 21 days, and if they get a flight share they can really
make it cheaper to take their beloved pets home. No one wants to leave them behind, but alot have been forced to, because of the
idiotic laws ..........
I have successfully sent home cats and dogs on the old system, keeping them with me for 7 months and then organising a flight share
for them to go home .......
Now this new law enables owners not to have to part with alot of money to pay for kennels, and then on top alot of money for the flight.
3 dogs are going home on the old system in November, overall the owners have saved 900 GBP between them because they are sharing.

I offer this new service now called "HOME JAMES FREE PET PASSPORT SERVICE".
This means the owner can go ahead of their dog/cat and I send it on in 21 days, on my free service.
Or they keep the dog/cat, and go on the same flight as them, but pay for my service.

My service includes
All vet visits, Rabies booster, and pre flight check 24 hours before flight
Booking a flight/ and or flight share, producing the ticket for the owner for collection.
Sourcing the Skyline cages for the owner at reduced prices.

All the client pays for is
Board for 21 days, and taking the pet to the airport and putting on flight.
If the owner does not want board, they just pay for the service of all the above.
And pay to take pet to airport and putting on flight.

I have around 12 dogs and one cat to go on my new service which starts in January, all on shared flights.
If u wish for more info pls p/m me ..............

michele
20-10-2011, 11:43
However, we would not be able to handle the arrangements for dog to Tenerife because, sadly, the Airlines will not accept Bulldogs on their flights. Kind Regards, Tony
-----Original Message-----
From: Animal Airlines Website [mailto:website@animalairlines.co.uk]
hi above is me asking for a price from animal airlines to transport bulldogs from uk......
it seems the risks to bulldogs flying are very high........michele ...

garlicbread
20-10-2011, 12:43
My sister who lives in the uk wants to adopt a dog and thought it would be nice to take one of the many poor souls from tenerife and give it a good home. But having spoken to the vice president of live arico we were shocked to find out just how much it costs to fly one over to the uk, it costs 580 poundseek2: and that is without any medical treatment it may need. I never realised that it costs so much and probably this is one of the main reasons that there are so many abandoned dogs here on the island, having said that it costs 70 euros to fly one to germany??? What is the difference????does anyone know why it is so expensive to the uk????

Hi Guys, No I do not know why they charge this much either. However I do flight shares for pets going back to the UK, saving each owner
approx 200/ 300 GBP each on their flight. The law is changing as at 01/01/2012, the quarantine period for dogs here will be 21 days
instead of 7 months. The bloodtest will no longer apply, the tick/flea treatment will no longer apply. So this leaves the gateway open for
owners to be able to afford to take their dogs back. The most expensive part of the old system is the 7 months quarantine in kennels,
it works out more than the airline ticket. Now this is changing, the quarantine is just 21 days, and if they get a flight share they can really
make it cheaper to take their beloved pets home. No one wants to leave them behind, but alot have been forced to, because of the
idiotic laws ..........
I have successfully sent home cats and dogs on the old system, keeping them with me for 7 months and then organising a flight share
for them to go home .......
Now this new law enables owners not to have to part with alot of money to pay for kennels, and then on top alot of money for the flight.
3 dogs are going home on the old system in November, overall the owners have saved 900 GBP between them because they are sharing.

I offer this new service now called "HOME JAMES FREE PET PASSPORT SERVICE".
This means the owner can go ahead of their dog/cat and I send it on in 21 days, on my free service.
Or they keep the dog/cat, and go on the same flight as them, but pay for my service.

My service includes
All vet visits, Rabies booster, and pre flight check 24 hours before flight
Booking a flight/ and or flight share, producing the ticket for the owner for collection.
Sourcing the Skyline cages for the owner at reduced prices.

All the client pays for is
Board for 21 days, and taking the pet to the airport and putting on flight.
If the owner does not want board, they just pay for the service of all the above.
And pay to take pet to airport and putting on flight.

I have around 12 dogs and one cat to go on my new service which starts in January, all on shared flights.
If u wish for more info pls p/m me ..............

An excellent post from PETS@HOME but it doesn't really answer the question raised by the OP.

So why is it so much more expensive to fly animals to the UK than to other parts of northern Europe? Does anybody know?

Tom & Sharon
20-10-2011, 14:18
This is purely a guess, but certainly dogs on UK airline flights have to travel in the hold. Because of this, the hold has to be heated, whereas on a flight carrying no animals, the hold isn't heated.

It cost us £900 to fly Oscar to Tenerife with Thomas Cook, and we were told that they fly a maximum of 2 animals per flight. I just assumed that the high price was for the extra cost of heating the hold.

I don't know whether I have dreamt this, but can't animals travel on other country's airlines in the cabin with their owners? Therefore, it's just the price of an extra seat?

dede
20-10-2011, 14:23
This is purely a guess, but certainly dogs on UK airline flights have to travel in the hold. Because of this, the hold has to be heated, whereas on a flight carrying no animals, the hold isn't heated.

It cost us £900 to fly Oscar to Tenerife with Thomas Cook, and we were told that they fly a maximum of 2 animals per flight. I just assumed that the high price was for the extra cost of heating the hold.

I don't know whether I have dreamt this, but can't animals travel on other country's airlines in the cabin with their owners? Therefore, it's just the price of an extra seat?

Yes they can indeed Sharon, I frequently travel to spain with spanair and have often sat next to someone with their dog.

Tom & Sharon
20-10-2011, 14:28
Yes they can indeed Sharon, I frequently travel to spain with spanair and have often sat next to someone with their dog.

That's your answer then. It must cost as much to heat the hold for 2 dogs, as it does to heat the cabin for 250 passengers.

I can't see anyone wanting to sit next to our rottweiler on a flight though!

Suej
20-10-2011, 14:38
If you have a look on Skyscanners and see the prices for one way seats to any airport in Germany they are very,very expensive! perhaps this is why animals are subsidised on German flights. Just an idea!:idea:

dede
20-10-2011, 14:58
That's your answer then. It must cost as much to heat the hold for 2 dogs, as it does to heat the cabin for 250 passengers.

I believe they do have to be under a certain weight though.

kingbaker
20-10-2011, 18:28

I've sat beside a few of them in my time............(they were probs saying the same about me) ha!!ha!!:yum:

Pets@Home
20-10-2011, 21:21
The only solution is to fly them with other animals, that is the only way its going to work out cheaper, sometimes 50% off the original price of the ticket if u have enough animals going at the same time .........
Yes its correct its because they go into the hold, and so therefore it has to be a certain temperature, dark, and relatively sound proof, plus they have to make sure all the water containers are filled. You are paying really for someone to be responsible for your animal, from when it leaves the departure trolley, onto the flight, off the flight, onto another trolley, into customs to clear. You are paying for the staff both ends to do this. When u take yr dog to say Germany, u put it on the flight with yourself, and off, no staff involved, your responsiblity, thats why the charge is low.
WHY they dont do the same as Germany, I dont know, they have now come into line with Europe so the quarantine is just 21 days instead of 7 months, but I dont ever think we will see prices go down .............
NEW LAW CHANGE 01/01/2012

dede
20-10-2011, 21:31
Thanks for your explanation P@H...so i think my sister may just take on a uk rescue dog, its just a shame when she has fallen for one of the many canarian poodle type doggies and could have given a lot of love to one of the many homeless ones that are not wanted on this island.

SuzyQ
21-10-2011, 02:25
Someone told me it was because the hold has to be pressurised, but that cant be it, because the cost to Germany if they fly in the cabin is just €40 - its €70 when they are larger and go in the hold. So yes, WHAT is the difference. Its been on my mental "to do" list for a couple of years, to mail the airlines and ask, why the price, but other things happen and I dont get round to it. Its crazy. This causes the refuges massive problems as people leave their dogs behind because of the cost.
Pets@Home is right, flight sharing is the way. LA have four dogs going on the 4th January for €350 each. Still expensive, but better that €580. The end of the rabies blood test is a big saving, but its still going to be the best part of €700 to get a dog back. Boo!!!

Balcony
21-10-2011, 08:04
I think part of the reason for flight to Germany being cheaper is that the Germans are a little more receptive and the Britsih authorities some to cloak everything in triple paperwork and anything else they can think of.

As to cost of flight...did you think it would be free? £80 is not a lot. Try getting a rescue in the UK from the RSPCA....it's not free!

kingbaker
21-10-2011, 09:11
Someone told me it was because the hold has to be pressurised, but that cant be it, because the cost to Germany if they fly in the cabin is just €40 - its €70 when they are larger and go in the hold. So yes, WHAT is the difference. Its been on my mental "to do" list for a couple of years, to mail the airlines and ask, why the price, but other things happen and I dont get round to it. Its crazy. This causes the refuges massive problems as people leave their dogs behind because of the cost.
Pets@Home is right, flight sharing is the way. LA have four dogs going on the 4th January for €350 each. Still expensive, but better that €580. The end of the rabies blood test is a big saving, but its still going to be the best part of €700 to get a dog back. Boo!!!

Dear Suzi!!!!! Dont forget that airlines are there to make a profit only - not to give cheap fares for dogs (not the four legged variety anyway.)
The laws of demand and supply and also of diminishing returns apply. The airline people know how much they can charge--and get away with (most importantly for them) and thats how much they'll charge:bowdown::bowdown:

dede
21-10-2011, 09:22
I think part of the reason for flight to Germany being cheaper is that the Germans are a little more receptive and the Britsih authorities some to cloak everything in triple paperwork and anything else they can think of.

As to cost of flight...did you think it would be free? £80 is not a lot. Try getting a rescue in the UK from the RSPCA....it's not free!

yes your right 80 pounds is not alot but were talking 580 pounds here!!!!!!

Angusjim
21-10-2011, 11:21
How very dare you thats a bit personal beauty is only skin deep and all that:cheeky::nono:

kingbaker
21-10-2011, 14:02
How very dare you thats a bit personal beauty is only skin deep and all that:cheeky::nono:

When China fully takes over the USA there will be real dogs in hot dogs and then there'll be a world shortage probs solved!!!!!!!!!:eyebrows:

Angusjim
21-10-2011, 14:22

Not being funny but don't we have enough poor unfortunate dogs in the UK dog pounds that could be rescued don't think we need any brought into the country

Balcony
21-10-2011, 15:55
Ah, did I mis-read? Sorry.

[/U][/B]

yes your right 80 pounds is not alot but were talking 580 pounds here!!!!!!