PDA

View Full Version : Is it immoral to buy a new car in the current economic climate?

Sundowner
21-10-2011, 20:24
I was talking to a friend about buying a new car and was told it is immoral to buy a new car while people are struggling to feed their families in the present economic crisis!

What do you think?

Vortex Wake
21-10-2011, 21:57
Dump your (jealous) friend.

If people don't 'buy new' , then the workers in the factories making 'the new' will be out of a job.

The only exception to the above is the Fiat Panda - no one in their right mind would ever buy a new one ? They just 'happened' on the road in 8years old and rusty didn't they?

atlantico
21-10-2011, 22:00
answer - leave your cash in the bank, or give it away -

or buy a new car . . . . . . . . are we talking about a €5k - €10k car or a €100k one ??

Answers still the same - you've earned it, you spend it

CIM
21-10-2011, 22:32
Excellent point Vortex!
The way I see it, look after number one first. The reason being it is difficult to help anyone else if your financially in the doo doo yourself! Kind of like on the plane when the masks come down - put your own before you help anyone else or you will end up unable to help anyone and needing someone to bail you out!
Thats the way I think of it anyways...

timmylish
21-10-2011, 22:33
Was your friend of this Planet.
If so he/she may not have noticed that there have been economic crisee (?) (like that word?) since time began and the whole world has revolved with people buying whatever they want. It only becomes immoral if, for example, they are not feeding their own.
Think he,s a bit of a crank and you would be better off spending more of your free time on here!

chips
21-10-2011, 22:38
Ask yourself some questions ,do i want one yes ,can i afford one yes will i enjoy it oooyes, go and buy one money is made round to go round ,hope you enjoy it .Keith.

slodgedad
21-10-2011, 23:42
Excellent point Vortex!
The way I see it, look after number one first. The reason being it is difficult to help anyone else if your financially in the doo doo yourself! Kind of like on the plane when the masks come down - put your own before you help anyone else or you will end up unable to help anyone and needing someone to bail you out!
Thats the way I think of it anyways...

It's not a point of looking after number 1, if no one bought new the whole economy would collapse.

The only people employed would be 2nd hand salesmen

CIM
21-10-2011, 23:46
It's not a point of looking after number 1, if no one bought new the whole economy would collapse.

The only people employed would be 2nd hand salesmen

I sort of covered that off by saying what a good point VW had made though. So I do agree.

slodgedad
21-10-2011, 23:53
I sort of covered that off by saying what a good point VW had made though. So I do agree.

Senior moment. Sorry Cracking Imagative Member

Greg
22-10-2011, 00:40
You should buy the car YOU want with YOUR hard earned cash. If anyone says anything but complementary remarks they are not happy for you and not a friend. People should be happy that you are successful enough to afford the things you have worked hard for.
Enjoy your new toy and wave goodbye to the negative people in your rear view mirror. :tiphat:

stevem
22-10-2011, 07:20
Look at it as you doing your bit for the economy. The tax off the car will go into the bottomless pit that is the hole in the economy but you'll have kept one more worker in a job. It's your hard earned, no one elses so go get that car and enjoy!!! :)

Jackie
22-10-2011, 08:06
Sundowner ask yourself this question...'Is it right that you go to the supermarket every week or month to load up on food and 'luxury items' while there are so many starving in the world'? Answer 'YES' because you can afford to buy the food you need/want. Why should anyone feel guilty about doing something they can afford to do regardless of the economic climate. You go buy your new car and enjoy it :)

doreen
22-10-2011, 10:17
I think Jealousy rather than Morality is an issue here :)

Happy Motoring :greencar:

Tenerife Blade
22-10-2011, 11:19
Tell your 'friend' that you we're thinking of giving him your old car for free, but after he pricked your conscience, you've decided to still buy a new one, just so that you can give your old one to someone who can't afford one. I wonder if his opinion may change a little.

CIM
22-10-2011, 11:24
Or better still tell him you were going to give him your car for free but have now changed your mind after his suggestion and will now sell it and donate the proceeds to a worthwhile charity - he should be made up by that Win - Win!

Bazzer
22-10-2011, 11:25
Your post brings two words to mind Doreen. Nail...... and..... Head.

Sundowner
22-10-2011, 12:05
Thanks for all your views, I am now off to order it :)

p.s. It was a woman who told me it was immoral !

YOUNG GOLFER
22-10-2011, 12:20
Well tell that woman to mind her own business.

Jackie
22-10-2011, 21:56
Thanks for all your views, I am now off to order it :)

p.s. It was a woman who told me it was immoral !

She can't be normal then haha...what woman would turn down a new car,new diamonds, new shoes, new bag, new.....

Sal
22-10-2011, 22:12
Go for it! Get yourself a gleaming, spanking new car! Sod the jealous buggers!

Sundowner
22-10-2011, 22:50
She can't be normal then haha...what woman would turn down a new car,new diamonds, new shoes, new bag, new.....

She was the wife of a friend.............

Car on order..........bad news 7 months waiting list :)

Greg
23-10-2011, 00:15
Go on, tell us. What have you bought?

Angusjim
23-10-2011, 07:20
I was talking to a friend about buying a new car and was told it is immoral to buy a new car while people are struggling to feed their families in the present economic crisis!

What do you think?

It would only be immoral if you were an estate agent who was buying new 20000 euro car from the proceeds of a commission from a client who has just sold a 150000euro property:whistle:

Jackie
23-10-2011, 09:17
She was the wife of a friend.............

Car on order..........bad news 7 months waiting list :)

So now you have 7 months to taunt the poor woman haha ;)

stevem
23-10-2011, 10:04
More importantly, what have you ordered????? :)

Sundowner
23-10-2011, 17:56
More importantly, what have you ordered????? :)

The new model BMW X3 :)

cainaries
23-10-2011, 17:58
Just tell your ex-friend's wife that you have single-handedly saved the car industry and that xx workers have jobs for another year, thanks to you, and so are just able to feed their families and pay their taxes.

How ironical after all that that there is a 7 month waiting list. Can only suggest you buy an 8 year old Fiat Panda in the meantime and tell this woman that you've followed her advice and that this is your new car. (I had a wonderful Fiat Panda once, beat anything off the traffic lights in London but dissolved in a heap of rust a few years later).

Sundowner
24-10-2011, 10:04
Just tell your ex-friend's wife that you have single-handedly saved the car industry and that xx workers have jobs for another year, thanks to you, and so are just able to feed their families and pay their taxes.

How ironical after all that that there is a 7 month waiting list. Can only suggest you buy an 8 year old Fiat Panda in the meantime and tell this woman that you've followed her advice and that this is your new car. (I had a wonderful Fiat Panda once, beat anything off the traffic lights in London but dissolved in a heap of rust a few years later).

The VAT was over £6700 so that should feed a few people.......

Thanks for the advice on the Panda, I think I will pass on that :) I have had more than my fair share of rust buckets in my time and as I approach late middle age (60 on Jan 6th) I want a car that I can enjoy..........before I downgrade to a motorized wheelchair. :)

stevem
24-10-2011, 10:07
Very nice too! I'm sure you will enjoy and it will be worth the wait!!! :D

atlantico
24-10-2011, 10:20
BMW X3 ?? . . . . . . was the Land Rover / Range Rover dealership closed that day ? You don't have to wait that long for the new Evouque !!

stevem
24-10-2011, 10:26
BMW X3 ?? . . . . . . was the Land Rover / Range Rover dealership closed that day ? You don't have to wait that long for the new Evouque !!

That would be fine if you wanted a badly engineered car that bits will fall off/break down/expire within 24 months :lol:

atlantico
24-10-2011, 10:33
Pah ! Another BM lover !

Half of Range Rovers ARE BMW !

stevem
24-10-2011, 10:38
Pah ! Another BM lover !

Half of Range Rovers ARE BMW !

Only the half that doesn't drop off ;) :lol: