PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Are you looking at moving to Tenerife one day?

YOUNG GOLFER
21-10-2011, 20:33
Would you like to one day move over to Tenerife for good.

Be it to open a business or find work or somewhere you would like retire to and spend the rest of your life.
Would be nice to know what members thoughts on how they see Tenerife is it for a holiday or as a permanent home one day.

Santiago
21-10-2011, 22:27
Would you like to one day move over to Tenerife for good.

Be it to open a business or find work or somewhere you would like retire to and spend the rest of your life.
Would be nice to know what members thoughts on how they see Tenerife is it for a holiday or as a permanent home one day.

Hi YG. No I don't think I want to move permanently to Tenerife as I would have nothing left to look forward to any more. I like living where I am and enjoy (mostly) the changing seasons.

anto3
22-10-2011, 01:10
I am sometimes confused, sometimes i would like to be like the people whom come and- go. .And then when i go back to England i want to be back here. .i think living here and going on hoildays here are two difference things

Andy0210
22-10-2011, 01:25
I am sometimes confused, sometimes i would like to be like the people whom come and- go.

You mean like the people that live in your Basura room ???

miguel
22-10-2011, 02:16
I am sometimes confused, sometimes i would like to be like the people whom come and- go. .And then when i go back to England i want to be back here. .i think living here and going on hoildays here are two difference thingsI think you must be very confused when you go back to England as you give your location as Dublin.

Andy0210
22-10-2011, 02:37
I think you must be very confused when you go back to England as you give your location as Dublin.

Thats because when she goes back the amount she wants to be there is Dublin every day! ;)

She wants to be there lots! ;)

CaribeCelt
22-10-2011, 04:58
What I wouldn't give to move to Tenerife...I love the Island so much,the local way of life,the people(locals and ex-pats)the food and just that easy going feeling I find when I'm out there makes me want to stay.
But as an out of work labourer I dont think it will ever happen...unless the Euro Millions throw a few pound my way.
At least I have my Holiday in February for 1 month to look forward too.

Added after 9 minutes:

I think you must be very confused when you go back to England as you give your location as Dublin.

Maybe it's a Dubliner living in Cricklewood?
Ireland's 33rd county.:D

stevem
22-10-2011, 07:10
We used to live in Tenerife. We want to move back, but until work is sorted out and we have an income that we don't have to rely on locally then we will stay in the UK. The line of work I'm in means I can work pretty much anywhere but until I find the right contract we have to wait. I love the island and the way of life, but I'm not going to get caught where we have to fight for every euro. One day I'll retire so I have to pay my pension somehow lol.

I find it a bit saddening when I see posts on here from people who have just moved out and they are desperately seeking work. Been there, done that, don't want to go there again.

blue marlin
22-10-2011, 09:27
We used to live in Tenerife. We want to move back, but until work is sorted out and we have an income that we don't have to rely on locally then we will stay in the UK. The line of work I'm in means I can work pretty much anywhere but until I find the right contract we have to wait. I love the island and the way of life, but I'm not going to get caught where we have to fight for every euro. One day I'll retire so I have to pay my pension somehow lol.

I find it a bit saddening when I see posts on here from people who have just moved out and they are desperately seeking work. Been there, done that, don't want to go there again.

Ditto :) come on Camelot give me and Stevem and families a second chance

edsa
22-10-2011, 14:11
My OH and I are considering moving to tenerife in the future. First we are going to spend this coming winter there to see how that works out and take it from there.

Sarah
22-10-2011, 15:02
I keep changing my mind about it. I did try to find work in Tenerife once but came home again after a few weeks.

I like being able to earn a fairly good wage in UK and
wouldn't want to struggle for money. Ideally I would like to spend summer in UK and winter in Tenerife. :wink:

YOUNG GOLFER
22-10-2011, 15:05
My OH and I are considering moving to tenerife in the future. First we are going to spend this coming winter there to see how that works out and take it from there.

Well good luck with your visit i am sure you will have a great time.

Davie Thistle
22-10-2011, 15:49
.............aye, we would move to the Island and stay in an instant!
toothbrush at the ready, would not even pack!

If, and it's a big IF,
one or both of us could find work,
or win the lottery - per 99% of what people want!
or I retire & D gets a job & I live off her!
I think by the time most of us make the decision to move,
it will be too late, we could'nt afford it.
shame really.

I would love a chance to get away from this ****ehouse of a country,
even if its just for health reasons!

kingbaker
22-10-2011, 17:58
Thats because when she goes back the amount she wants to be there is Dublin every day! ;)

She wants to be there lots! ;)

Andy!!!!!!! The tallent is much better in Dublin HA!!HA!! You might never want to leave ............if we ever let you in, in the first place. HA!!HA!!

helhod
22-10-2011, 20:01
Loved the holidays to Tenerife then moved over for 5 years ,due to work had to come back to uk near on 3 years ago .Honestly i am happy to be back .But has taken 3 years near on to get a my own home here aggain but moved in 3 weeks ago .3 years of hard graft but love my job (bus driver) Missed it in Tenerife though i did do airport transfers while there .Still have our homes on the Island will sell 1 eventually and keep 1 for when we move back again maybe 10 yrs away ,coming out December.Love the place and life style and Chayofa .

CIM
22-10-2011, 20:27
Loved the holidays to Tenerife then moved over for 5 years ,due to work had to come back to uk near on 3 years ago .Honestly i am happy to be back .But has taken 3 years near on to get a my own home here aggain but moved in 3 weeks ago .3 years of hard graft but love my job (bus driver) Missed it in Tenerife though i did do airport transfers while there .Still have our homes on the Island will sell 1 eventually and keep 1 for when we move back again maybe 10 yrs away ,coming out December.Love the place and life style and Chayofa .

Very pleased to hear things are working out for you in the UK.

helhod
22-10-2011, 20:33
Will be seeking you out when we come over !! Great advice for years Thanks

stevem
23-10-2011, 10:13
Ditto :) come on Camelot give me and Stevem and families a second chance

If Mr Camelot comes knocking with the big one, promise I'll share!!!

Wouldn't that be great!!! :)

blue marlin
23-10-2011, 10:16
If Mr Camelot comes knocking with the big one, promise I'll share!!!

Wouldn't that be great!!! :)

Cheers mate lets just stay away from boats hahaha

stevem
24-10-2011, 08:20
Staying as far away from boats as humanly possible..........damn moneypits!

life is short
24-10-2011, 19:35
We are planning on moving out to Tenerife in 2012. Have been planning this for some time now after many very enjoyable holidays in Adeje. We've had to keep adjusting our plans due to the economic climate, but as this is something we really want then we keep persevering. We know that living in Tenerife will be completely different to the holidays and will be prepared for the ups and downs.

The OH has lived in a few other countries over many years, so he's an "old hand" :respect: I'm expecting to be homesick at some stage, but we both feel that we've come home when we arrive for our holiday :cloud9:

We're next over in November for three whole weeks :jump2: We'll be finally checking out areas that we're interested in...........more in depth research. Thanks to the forum we already have lots of very useful information :tiphat:

caroll72
25-10-2011, 20:33
Moved back to UK after 4 years on the rock & do miss the island.
Having said that, we do have more financial security in the uk than we ever did in Tenerife.
My ideal scenario would be summers in UK & winters in Tenerife.
Best of both worlds! In my dreams! :doh:

YOUNG GOLFER
25-10-2011, 22:17
A dear old client who is just doing that she came today and is 81yrs old and she has been coming here for years she will be here for six months to get away from the cold.
Think it's great a woman on her own at her age.

Sundowner
26-10-2011, 00:24
I am looking at it, but it is not as simple as following the sun.............

jack and gill
02-12-2011, 00:33
my husband and l moved over to Tenerife in September we love it, we have been here on holidays loads of times but in febuary this year we decided we wanted to retire and spend the rest of our lives here we hope, everything is working out great we have found a nice place to live and we have a lovely spanish neigbour and we have a laugh because we can,t understand each other most of the time we are hoping to learn spanish off her and she wants to learn english from us

warbey
02-12-2011, 20:02
As most others would like, A place at both Tenerife and the U.K.
About six months ago, Young Golfer had for sale the Ideal Home i would look for too.
Sorry Y.G. still need a few Hundred thou or so......

penelope pitstop
02-12-2011, 22:45
Lived there for several years, but like many others we had to return to the UK a couple of years ago when the work situation deteriorated as tourism went down. It can be the ideal place to live if you don't have to work & can afford it.
Some ex pats had to move back to the UK after many years in Tenerife once the euro went down so much it reduced their UK pensions considerably that they could not afford to live there anymore. Very sad for those that had to sell their homes to return to the UK. In some cases properties took a couple of years to sell.
We are now settled in the UK with good jobs. We visit Tenerife once or twice a year & hope to spend winter months there when we retire.
I urge anyone considering the move to ensure you can afford it, as if you have to work it can be a continual struggle, as we found out; & know many others who were in a similar situation.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side

tonypub
02-12-2011, 22:52
Lived there for several years, but like many others we had to return to the UK a couple of years ago when the work situation deteriorated as tourism went down. It can be the ideal place to live if you don't have to work & can afford it.
Some ex pats had to move back to the UK after many years in Tenerife once the euro went down so much it reduced their UK pensions considerably that they could not afford to live there anymore. Very sad for those that had to sell their homes to return to the UK. In some cases properties took a couple of years to sell.
We are now settled in the UK with good jobs. We visit Tenerife once or twice a year & hope to spend winter months there when we retire.
I urge anyone considering the move to ensure you can afford it, as if you have to work it can be a continual struggle, as we found out; & know many others who were in a similar situation.
The grass isn't always greener on the other sidegreat post jaypeeps

angeldrawers
07-12-2011, 22:45
My husband and i came over last month to look for a property.Husband had never been to tenerife before and i had only been once before.We found our new home in just 4 days.I know lots of people will think that we were a bit hasty but it felt right and we didnt want to waste time.We had wasted enough trying to sell our UK property for 3 years.We are going over next week to do the signing.

princessmonika
08-12-2011, 09:43
WELL DONE AND GOOD LUCK :welcome:

angeldrawers
08-12-2011, 11:36
Thank you, it just feels right and we are so looking forward to this new chapter of our lives.:)

Goldeneye
18-12-2011, 00:57
In-laws retired to Tenerife El Lagar ( La Orotava ) What was supposed to be for 'just 5 years' turned into 18 years.. They moved home only when health was deteriorating, they didn't want us to have to sort out their estate ala 'Spanish Style'
They both felt that it would be best for them to leave and have the odd holiday back there as health allowed..
As a consequence of them moving there we know Tenerife really well, 18 x 3 week vacations and one for 2 months...
DH and I are considering the Pro's and Cons of living on an Island.. We both love Puerto, we spent 6 weeks this year trying to find somewhere similar but on mainland Spain.. A tall order ~ We're going to check out mainland Spain again next fall ... 'ooop's Autumn (20yrs of living in Canada)
If we can't find anywhere that comes close to ticking most of our boxes we'll move to TFN .. within a 15 min drive of PDLC..

bonitatime
19-12-2011, 09:43
For the car question I would say it depends where you live. If you are looking at the English school
In the south then almost certainly. The one in PDLC maybe you could manage without.

Added after 3 minutes:

The long distance bus services are good it would then depend how close to the terminal you live. Puerto is reasonably compact and accordong to friends has a good local bus service.
Thinking now the school in the south may have a private bus so that might make the south an option too. I am sure someone with a child there will be along soon.

jet2
19-12-2011, 11:09
I would love to move one day as i am over a few times a year anyway. Unfortunately I dont think it will happen as kids and career has to come first. Doesn't stop me annoyimg the wife 24/7 about it though..DREAM ON !:pray:

Leanne
19-12-2011, 17:01
I'm coming over in Easter do look about in prep for moving there.could any1 suggest where to stay so I can get a feel for it that's not a tourist trap and I can experiance it as I would being an expat.