PDA

View Full Version : Other Does a community president receive a salary?

princessmonika
25-10-2011, 09:23
does the president of a community get a salery--

Angusjim
25-10-2011, 09:34

I believe all they get for their work is a LOT of grief:lol:

princessmonika
25-10-2011, 09:48
well why do they do it, because anybody working for free, is never out of work ,or do they get perks

doreen
25-10-2011, 09:57
well why do they do it, because anybody working for free, is never out of work ,or do they get perks

Trust me, no perks :( I'm seriously out of pocket after attempts to rectify failures by the developer and getting the proper paperwork sorted :(

As to why we do it ... well, someone has to by Law ... sometimes it's the Short Straw option.

Angusjim
25-10-2011, 10:11
Trust me, no perks :( I'm seriously out of pocket after attempts to rectify failures by the developer and getting the proper paperwork sorted :(

As to why we do it ... well, someone has to by Law ... sometimes it's the Short Straw option.

I am sure all the other owners appreciate your effort:whistle:

princessmonika
25-10-2011, 10:14
you have to your name forward to get this unpaid job, or who does make you do it??

jack oakley
25-10-2011, 10:33

The answer to your question princess is NO, The horizontal property act enforced by the spanish government have made it law that every complex (horizontal community) has to have an ADMINISTRATOR who is democraticly appointed to manage the complex/community paid for from the community fee's, and a PRESIDENT, who's services should be voulantary. The biggest majority of them do it because they take pride in where they live and want to make their complex/ community a better place for all, their role is important because they as president are responsible for any legal issues regarding the complex and can be held to account if legal requirements are not complied with. There are. as in every walk of life, "bad apples", they can manipulate situations for their own benifit!. For instance if a major maintainance project needs to be undertaken they have the final say as to which company is contracted to do it, it is not uncommon for contractors to "say thankyou" in whatever way they choose?. Some administration companies "suggest" certain insurance companies, those companies will pay a commission, in some cases that may be shared with the president as he/she has the final say on which company is selected, "that's life" as Frank would say. As mentioned before the biggest majority do it for the self gratification of seeing their complex/community working effeciantly and making it a good place to live or spend a vacation. They should be applauded and appreciated far more for the the work and dedication they provide than they actualy receive. :c2: Jack.O

princessmonika
25-10-2011, 10:38
ok jack thats a good explanation thank you must a president live on the complex?

karinagal
25-10-2011, 10:41
Usually the president puts themselves forward for election and the vote is taken at the AGM. If you're lucky (as we are here) you get someone whose willing to stand up and fight for the best deal for the residents. I have heard it rumoured (no idea if it's true but don't think it happens where I am) that in some communities, the president either doesn't have to pay their community charges or they're paid for them. Even if that IS the case for some, it's still a vastly underpaid job!

The president is the one who takes on complaints and tries to resolve them, often having to face conflict in the process. Our president is trying her best to ensure that when our pool is fenced in, it's not a complete eyesore. She fights to get our complex properly maintained (there are several in our community) and I reckon all round she does a cracking job.

Added after 7 minutes:

Oops! You must have posted as I was still typing Jack - excellent explanation

jack oakley
25-10-2011, 10:59
ok jack thats a good explanation thank you must a president live on the complex?

An elected president does not have to be in 'permanant' residence but he/she does have to be an owner on the complex. He or she may have another home in another country and may divide the time between the two, however some presidential duties require frequent visits to town halls or courts so it is better that they live on site for convenience purposes but if their duties are carried out in full it is not a lawfull requirement it is up to the community to decide, if they are content with how the president performs they will condone partial residence. Jack.O

atlantico
25-10-2011, 12:58
I think you only have to reside on the community. ie Rent, as we have a Vice President who is only a tenant.

If no one volunteers for the job, names are put into a hat, and that person HAS to be President.

Nearly all Local (Spanish/Canarian) Presidents that I've come across get paid 'commission' from different suppliers, contractors, insurers, etc, and the majority have accepted this as normal procedures, just like many other laws in Tenerife/Spain

doreen
25-10-2011, 13:14
I think you only have to reside on the community. ie Rent, as we have a Vice President who is only a tenant.

If no one volunteers for the job, names are put into a hat, and that person HAS to be President.

Nearly all Local (Spanish/Canarian) Presidents that I've come across get paid 'commission' from different suppliers, contractors, insurers, etc, and the majority have accepted this as normal procedures, just like many other laws in Tenerife/Spain

I am a non resident President, about to leave office before the term is up having sold the property. Sadly, no commissions offered to me along the way - just a lot of grief/abuse from the developer whose problems I was actually solving :(

On another complex I owned on, if no volunteer, then Block 1 apt X must serve, next year Block 2, apt Y etc ... all written into the statutes :)

Angusjim
25-10-2011, 13:21

Are you saying they perhaps deal in "black money" is that common practise in Tenerife :wow::lol:

Peterrayner
25-10-2011, 13:46

Sorry but a President can only be an owner. The role of Vice President is not so clear has its mostly a British concept and invention IIRC the post doesnt exist in law.

I think there are only 3 offical posts Administrator Secretary and President all other "invented" posts are deemed to be helpers.

To answer the OP No The President dosent receive any salary or payment.

atlantico
25-10-2011, 18:38
Are you saying they perhaps deal in "black money" is that common practise in Tenerife :wow::lol:

no, no, no . . . . the money isn't black, I've seen it . . . it's not black ! each note is a different colour.

our friend, an ex-president, was offered commissions to the tune of €9k in 10 months, which she declared and put into the community account. For the first time in 8 years the account was in credit. What happened next ? after 10 months a meeting was called and the residents voted to replace her with the old president - the account is now in debt 6 months later !!