PDA

View Full Version : Other Polish man asking for money in Las Americas

duquessa
26-10-2011, 13:10
We were in LA at the weekend we had visited the beach (Monkey Bar). We parked the car at the top in one of the side roads and walked down.

When we returned a man approached and asked us if we had any money he said he was hungry?

Is this common? Has this happened to anyone else? would he grab your wallet if you were silly enough to get it out? Why has he come from Poland if there is no work for him? I was just wondering?

timmylish
26-10-2011, 15:26
Intrigued to see you specifically name him as "Polish". How do you know that?

Medman
26-10-2011, 15:30
Intrigued to see you specifically name him as "Polish". How do you know that?

He obviously took a shine to them :D

duquessa
26-10-2011, 15:59
He obviously took a shine to them :D

whats that mean? He said he was Polish.

I take it you dont know the answer to i was asking then? is there a this post was unhelpful button.

CaribeCelt
26-10-2011, 16:02
I suppose it is like anywhere... You are going to get unfortunate people begging everywhere and you are going to get the chancers as well.
I was in Dublin recently for a weekend and we must have been tapped at least 40 or 50 times...some looked genuine some looked like they were at it...we gave money to a few because we thought they were genuine.
Anytime I have been in Tenerife I have'nt experienced a lot of begging to be honest.

cjd01
26-10-2011, 16:04
I suppose it is like anywhere... You are going to get unfortunate people begging everywhere and you are going to get the chancers as well.
I was in Dublin recently for a weekend and we must have been tapped at least 40 or 50 times...some looked genuine some looked like they were at it...we gave money to a few because we thought they were genuine.
Anytime I have been in Tenerife I have'nt experienced a lot of begging to be honest.

I have to say when we have been to Tenerife - there have been no end of beggars - Puerto Colon, Los Cris, Las Am's the worst

duquessa
26-10-2011, 16:13
i just wondered if it was common poles coming to Tenerife and then begging.

bonitatime
26-10-2011, 16:24
I think it is a sign of the times and seems to be everywhere.

duquessa
26-10-2011, 16:27
no excuse for begging dont people get money to live on. IF they dont why did they come to Tenerife from Poland then? Dodgy to me. I reckon as i said it could be a ploy to get you to get your wallet out and then they run off with it?

who says they are hungry?

Vortex Wake
26-10-2011, 16:34
My experience of the Polish either in the UK or in Tenerife, is that they are very hard working people.

If someone has had the rug pulled from beneath them (lost their job), then they may indeed become 'hungry', to quote your opening post, as benefits in Tenerife are not an automatic right to all.

slodgedad
26-10-2011, 16:37
no excuse for begging dont people get money to live on. IF they dont why did they come to Tenerife from Poland then? Dodgy to me. I reckon as i said it could be a ploy to get you to get your wallet out and then they run off with it?

who says they are hungry?

Where's this magic money come from?
He may have been here working and then fallen on hard times.
He wouldn't be the only one.

nurse ratchet
26-10-2011, 17:10
Cool it Slodgie, I doubt whether the OP would see the irony in that ;);)

cainaries
26-10-2011, 17:28
I thought begging was illegal in Spain ... as in approaching people and asking for money, as was the case here. Don't know what would happen if you reported him though.

timmylish
26-10-2011, 19:15
I find this thread to be curious in the extreme. So, a poor Polish Guy (and I don,t mean poor in the financial sense), has found himself in difficulty and seems to have resorted to "begging". Who gives a toss if its illegal or otherwise. What people should be asking, is there any way to help this guy and others like him. The fact that he may be Polish is of absolutely no consequence at all. I, for one, always find the Polish to be very mindful of the help given them after the collapse of the USSR and as far as I,m concerned he is of no difference to you and me. At the moment we are just in a better state. Would he grab your wallet. The only way to find out an answer to that stupid question is, go and find him, show him your wallet overflowing with you €,s and ask him. Only way to get an honest answer. No-one else can answer for him, can they? Mind you, from the name you use on here, I,m not surprised that you seem to be living in a different world to most of us, mere serfs serving the aristocracy.
As to the other stupid assertion that this place is full of beggars is completely without foundation. You have covered most of the main area of the South of this Island.

Ecky Thump
26-10-2011, 19:18
i just wondered if it was common poles coming to Tenerife and then begging.

I have seen, dogs begging, cats begging, children begging and many other animals begging, but a pole?
In Tenerife I have also seen, fishing poles, dance poles, a spinnaker pole, trekking poles, but never once have I seen one beg.
What sort of pole was it that you saw beg.;)

warbey
26-10-2011, 19:53
If I read correctly, this Man was near Your Car... Not a usual Place for a Professional.
He only SAID He was a Pole. Was He really.
I think what is unsaid is interesting, and if He really was Polish, might well have been genuine.
Who knows..?

marbro8
26-10-2011, 20:06

who says they are hungry?people who are hungry usually

Medman
26-10-2011, 21:41
whats that mean? He said he was Polish.

I take it you dont know the answer to i was asking then? is there a this post was unhelpful button.

What it means is that you don't have a sense of humour or an understanding of the current economic climate.

Loaded
26-10-2011, 21:44
Obviously no work in the Uk then!

duquessa
27-10-2011, 01:25
I would never get a purse out in front of someone i didnt know. You have no idea if they are genuine or not. That goes for wherever i was. It actually pisses me off that people think you should give them your hard earned money for nothing and you dont even know them and you dont even know if the money is for food! How do you know it isnt for drugs or something?

If you want some money at least try and entertain people and do something like sing or play an instrument. To go up to people and ask for money who you dont know is in my opinion horrible. :redcard:

people who are hungry usually

or people who say that to get you to get your purse out.

YOUNG GOLFER
27-10-2011, 01:42
If you want some money at least try and entertain people and do something like sing or play an instrument.

Now that sentence i have problem with he is not a Monkey and he should not have to entertain you with music or a instrument to make it ok for you to give him money.

If you don't like it then just keep walking....it really is no big deal.

duquessa
27-10-2011, 01:48
we didnt give him any and as i said never would anyway whether in this country or not! I was just interested as to whether anyone else had encountered this.

your opinion on whether he should sing or dance is up to you but i would personally feel less threatened by someone begging in this way, its more on public display as well not down some side street so it feels safer. Its quite threatening i think being approached by someone you dont know who wants money from you. We save hard and work hard to earn money for our holidays why does some stranger think we should give it to them?

timmylish
27-10-2011, 12:20
we didnt give him any and as i said never would anyway whether in this country or not! I was just interested as to whether anyone else had encountered this.

your opinion on whether he should sing or dance is up to you but i would personally feel less threatened by someone begging in this way, its more on public display as well not down some side street so it feels safer. Its quite threatening i think being approached by someone you dont know who wants money from you. We save hard and work hard to earn money for our holidays why does some stranger think we should give it to them?

Oh! Lady. You most certainly are not on my Planet!

sparklegirl
27-10-2011, 14:29
I would never get a purse out in front of someone i didnt know. You have no idea if they are genuine or not. That goes for wherever i was. It actually pisses me off that people think you should give them your hard earned money for nothing and you dont even know them and you dont even know if the money is for food! How do you know it isnt for drugs or something?

If you want some money at least try and entertain people and do something like sing or play an instrument. To go up to people and ask for money who you dont know is in my opinion horrible. :redcard:

I think we have to remember one thing that not every one is as fortunate as us to have money to spend on lovely holidays and other things. For all the genuine people who have nothing to their name who have to strip themselves of all dignity to beg on the street just for food they should not have to perform an entertainment act for your money this comment you made is delusional!!! I agree when you say you don’t know if they are actually begging for food, drugs etc but surely 1 euro isn’t going to affect your holiday spend. If you don’t want to give them money then don’t, just walk on by.

duquessa
27-10-2011, 14:35
i do and i will and 1 euro dont think so, i expect they need more than that. If we gave all our money away to beggars we would never have any money for ourselves.

Balcony
27-10-2011, 16:21
I have to say that I'm a cynical old so and so and my answer is the same to beggars and that is 'Sorry I have no money'. It's the same answer to charity collectors waving their tins at me outside the supermarket and to the homeless guy on the street selling his magazine.

Plastic bags from 'charities' continually stagger through the letterbox wanting my unwanted goods and these end up in the bin.

Envelopes come through the letterbox all the time asking me to fill the envelope with money, but who the heck put it through my door? I don't know.

Mailshots arrive from charities enclosing the latest batch of 'lucky draw' tickets. I'm bombarded on the TV with (expensive) ads from charities saying that my £3 a month will make a difference. Who to? ITV I guess!

There's just too many con artists around and I'm happy to blot them off my horizon. It may mean that those in genuine need are also overlooked. Charities and getting too clever-clever for my liking and though I do give to four charities I give direct. I will give something to individuals if I see circumstances and, if you like, strike a rapport with the person asking. But, like the O/P that does not mean waving my wallet around!

sunspot
27-10-2011, 17:24
i do and i will and 1 euro dont think so, i expect they need more than that. If we gave all our money away to beggars we would never have any money for ourselves.

Unbelievable attitude,you would be surprised, a euro to someone with nothing is a coffee or a couple of bread rolls and its amazing how much better life seems with a bit of something in your belly,sometimes people have to resort to begging when there is nothing more they can do

leo_london
27-10-2011, 18:04
It could have been one of those bloody begging bankers or down-at-heel city traders, they are all over the place these days. I usually try to give them any spare change, but they straight away try to loan it back to me at extortionate interest rates.

caroletenerife
27-10-2011, 19:23
I walk the seafront Los Cris, LA to Del Duque every night with the dog. In my opinion there are a lot less beggars here than in the UK, the only regulars are the little man with the deformed face and the man with the withered leg and his friend. I do give them some coins because, at the end of the day I dont need to wake up every day living with their problems, lets face it they wouldn't get legit work, they are always polite if i have no money on me. There are a couple of homeless men that beachcomb and bring their wares to the charity shop. I realise that although the things they bring me are of no use (usually broken) I do see it as them trying to retain some dignity by not begging. Im more than happy to give them some fresh clothing.
Tenerife may be bathed in sunshine with lovely beaches etc etc, but it can be very harsh economically when someone falls on hard times, i believe a measure of a society can be judged on how it treats its needy. Im glad to see on here that most people would like to help rather than sneer or judge someone thats life has taken a turn for the worse.

golf birdie
27-10-2011, 19:37
homeless and begging, there for the love of god could be any of us if we happened on bad luck or bad choices.

duquessa
27-10-2011, 23:22
Ive already answered these points in detail there is nothing more to add.

sunspot
27-10-2011, 23:27
I agree with you,theres nothing you could add that would make any difference , i would not have thought you will be seeing this guy again so why worry about him,good job some of us would give him a little help if we see him though..........

YOUNG GOLFER
28-10-2011, 00:12
Well the best thing that could of happened to this thread was the fact you highlighted a Polish guy asking for money...and i am sure a few will be looking for him now willing to offer a little help.;)

the_kat
28-10-2011, 00:13
I have tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks reading parts of this thread!!!!!:crylaughing:
Oh my, what a strange one eh???!!!
On a serious note, I personally don't give to beggars as I can't tell the genuine ones, but if other people do give that's up to them, it's their money after all. I have bought food for down and outs in the past though.

Andy0210
28-10-2011, 01:10

Maybe he could dance to the daddy and sing to the mummy and in return you could buy him a little fishy if he is hungry ??? :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkMQJeiK50

Personally i cant see the problem, whats a few cents to someone who says they are hungry and homeless, i always let the Black lad take my trolley back at the Mercadona in Las chafiras seeing as he is prepared to load my shopping into my van, the beggars outside the Hiper-Dino at Las Chafiras are polite and they get a few coins, the only one who got nothing was the aggressive one around San Eugenio who came and really harrassed and threatened you a year or so ago, you used to see him and his family sat at the side of the roundabout by the Mercadona, mum, dad and dog, the dog was sat on the top of a shopping trolley but i haven´t seen them for ages.

maybelline
28-10-2011, 06:36
Now beggars,totally wind me up........They are earning alot more than those working long hours for 5euro ph. Theres a guy who sits at the top of mecadona in el camison with a placard, reading, looking for work in 3 different languages. I have to say, im not very nice to him, he has the best clothes on, when he's not at his post, he's drinking alcohol and i find it amazing that the policia have done nothing about it as ive been over 3 times in the last 6 months and there he is, perched in his usual position, its an insult to all those who work so hard to make ends meet
May xx

golf birdie
28-10-2011, 09:07
there is Scrounging and there is begging, a huge difference, which in most cases is easy to see.

Ecky Thump
28-10-2011, 09:41
Although I do generally give a small amount of money to the beggars in Tenerife, there is one particular beggar that I have my doubts about and have never given to, he is about thirty years of age, dark hair and about 5' 3" tall, he walks about with a scrap of card on which is written, "Please help, I am married with 5 children and no job"....
I would love to give him a packet of condoms!;)

Medman
28-10-2011, 09:59
Although I do generally give a small amount of money to the beggars in Tenerife, there is one particular beggar that I have my doubts about and have never given to, he is about thirty years of age, dark hair and about 5' 3" tall, he walks about with a scrap of card on which is written, "Please help, I am married with 5 children and no job"....
I would love to give him a packet of condoms!;)

That would be a plan. Not needing yours now Ecky ?..... :D

HarryH
28-10-2011, 19:29
Isnn't it sad, how quick people are to come up with glib comments and jokes about what might be a case of real hardship, even disaster? Rather than work on clearing up the after effects of people failing to have their dogs and cats neutered, we have chosen to work with disadvantaged people here in Tenerife. As such we work with the authorities, the police and the British Consulate, the churches and local benevolent societies. There are, at this moment, two young Polish men around who have fallen on hard times and amongst the difficulties is the fact that they no longer have passports. They have lived for a while in the UK and have now ended up here in difficulty after losing their jobs over there. Yes, you could argue that they should have stayed where they were, or even gone back to Poland. The fact is they made a different choice and that may have been the wrong one. You may be interested to know, however, that there is a Polish government office in Gran Canaria with whom we are putting them in touch. The office has told us they will arrange for them to be flown to Madrid, new passports will be produced and they will then fly them to wherever they want to go - at Polish government expense. So, with a bit of luck they will shortly no longer need to be depending on what they can blag off the public.

Ecky Thump
28-10-2011, 19:49
Isnn't it sad, how quick people are to come up with glib comments and jokes about what might be a case of real hardship, even disaster? Rather than work on clearing up the after effects of people failing to have their dogs and cats neutered, we have chosen to work with disadvantaged people here in Tenerife. As such we work with the authorities, the police and the British Consulate, the churches and local benevolent societies. There are, at this moment, two young Polish men around who have fallen on hard times and amongst the difficulties is the fact that they no longer have passports. They have lived for a while in the UK and have now ended up here in difficulty after losing their jobs over there. Yes, you could argue that they should have stayed where they were, or even gone back to Poland. The fact is they made a different choice and that may have been the wrong one. You may be interested to know, however, that there is a Polish government office in Gran Canaria with whom we are putting them in touch. The office has told us they will arrange for them to be flown to Madrid, new passports will be produced and they will then fly them to wherever they want to go - at Polish government expense. So, with a bit of luck they will shortly no longer need to be depending on what they can blag off the public.

Is it not sad that some people are so self righteous, have you any idea about the good work that some forum members have done who have made a light hearted remark or joke, I think the answer to that is NO...you have no idea as some of the members don't tell us, they just do it, one in particular (who I will not name) has worked in third a third world country to give aid, there are some who do it with no financial reward as the only reward they have wanted is to have known that they have helped others who are in need.

YOUNG GOLFER
28-10-2011, 19:53

Thank you for the update on this HarryH good news.

warbey
28-10-2011, 19:53

Thanks for these words of wisdom.
I often wondered if Anybody cared about People. Now I know. there are more than those of this Forum.

In a Place like Tenerife or any other Hol;iday Location, there are always con artists etc and most have
experience of this, some painful.
I think its telling the difference that causes the most trouble.

I am really glad the two Poles will get back Home.
Generally they are a decent People.

caroletenerife
28-10-2011, 20:35
Good to know there is help at hand for these boys, perhaps Harry you can post more details of what you do. I am one of the people you mention helping the animals but I believe there are a lot of people that would like to help you to assist people in need, if they had the information. xx

HarryH
28-10-2011, 21:52
Is it not sad that some people are so self righteous, have you any idea about the good work that some forum members have done who have made a light hearted remark or joke, I think the answer to that is NO...you have no idea as some of the members don't tell us, they just do it, one in particular (who I will not name) has worked in third a third world country to give aid, there are some who do it with no financial reward as the only reward they have wanted is to have known that they have helped others who are in need.

Talk to your friend YG and you will find I know more than you think. And if you want to give me a donation, it will be the first I have ever received.

Ecky Thump
28-10-2011, 22:11
Talk to your friend YG and you will find I know more than you think. And if you want to give me a donation, it will be the first I have ever received.

You seem to have got my post wrong, what I was implying was that some people do make light hearted quips, jokes or glib remarks about others less fortunate, but it does not mean they do not care or that they don't try to help these people and we should not judge them without knowing them.

karinagal
28-10-2011, 22:39
I watched a program last night about people living on benefits - on the program were 2 guys from Poland who either owned or worked in a shop. They were explaining that in Poland if you are unemployed, the amount of money you get every month is only enough to keep you going in essentials (like food) for a week....... It's no wonder so many Polish people travel so far in the hopes of getting decent work with decent wages.......

marbro8
28-10-2011, 22:56
Talk to your friend YG and you will find I know more than you think. And if you want to give me a donation, it will be the first I have ever received.i to think that you have taken ecky's post out of context;) after meeting the guy i can honestly say that i have never met anyone more honest, level headed and sincere, and is one of the most respected members on the forum;)

Added after 10 minutes:

I watched a program last night about people living on benefits - on the program were 2 guys from Poland who either owned or worked in a shop. They were explaining that in Poland if you are unemployed, the amount of money you get every month is only enough to keep you going in essentials (like food) for a week....... It's no wonder so many Polish people travel so far in the hopes of getting decent work with decent wages.......in my job working for a housing association i get to work in peoples houses from all over europe, and in lithuania if you aint got a job you aint got any food or shelter:(

Medman
29-10-2011, 00:07

It would seem that you have failed to dicepher from the posts, glib or otherwise that the vast majority of members posting on this thread, including myself, are sympathetic and understanding towards people who have found themselves at the rough end of life. Almost all posters are more than willing to give some sort of assistance to the needy and recognise that "there for the grace of God, go I". I wish you well in your endeavours.

YOUNG GOLFER
29-10-2011, 00:20
What i will say about HarryH and his good wife are.......... they do so much for alot of people here in Tenerife....... it's not for me to go into detail the good they do for people who have no were else to turn............. but they are two very kind people who give ALOT of their life to helping some of the saddest stories you may never ever get to hear about.:)

HarryH
29-10-2011, 01:04
You seem to have got my post wrong, what I was implying was that some people do make light hearted quips, jokes or glib remarks about others less fortunate, but it does not mean they do not care or that they don't try to help these people and we should not judge them without knowing them.

I've met you in the past, and I know we are reading off the same page. Perhaps I take the forum too seriously. If so, the reason is that I know how much it has been a force for good and how much good work individual members have put into the community at large over the years. I think it is sad that some serious subjects attract inappropriate jokes which, in turn, can sometimes lead to even less tasteful comments. I suppose that is just human nature and this is one of the reasons why, since the forum meltdown, I have used it as an excuse to keep clear.

caroletenerife
29-10-2011, 02:44
What i will say about HarryH and his good wife are.......... they do so much for alot of people here in Tenerife....... it's not for me to go into detail the good they do for people who have no were else to turn............. but they are two very kind people who give ALOT of their life to helping some of the saddest stories you may never ever get to hear about.:)
then YG they should share their experiences, i personally focus on animals, not because i believe them more deserving, its just my thing, i believe people will want to help the likes of Harry in his quest but do not know how to do so, if he shared his concerns and how people could help, there would be more help on offer, lessening his burden to do so on his own x

HarryH
29-10-2011, 03:07
Thanks to YG for his kind comments, but it is for us to call for help as and when needed. We already have a support network of individuals and organisations who all pull together when needed and, as I mentioned, we have access to the authorities as well. However, for people who want to help, there are plans in the melting pot for some serious work before long and when these plans firm up, we will be only too grateful if anyone wishes to give of their time and skills. Please bear with us, though, because it is too early to go public at the moment.

rosemary
29-10-2011, 09:46
I know this man. Duquesa is correct, he is Polish, he threatened me when I offered to buy him food instead of giving him money. I was eating in a cafe in Los Chris when he approached me and said he was hungry.

He was very unpleasant.

Added after 15 minutes:

Sorry Harry just seen this post. Excellent update, thanks.
Ignore the "comedians" on this forum.

mehdi001
29-10-2011, 19:39
:wow:Stupid question, stupid reaction pfff how it is possible to be also selfish, you will not take your money in your grave, me when one me demand I give, I don't care to know if he says the truth or not, in the life it is necessary to give, sad world, so much contempt is crazy, I wish you to meet one day like that and what you cross people like you:whistle:

AL JAY
29-10-2011, 19:51
Is that you Henry? :D

caroletenerife
29-10-2011, 19:53
hmm, i think i understand what your saying, but need to disagree with your comment about not caring about the truth. I dont know about your country but in the UK and here there are more than enough con artists that prey on people (mainly the eldery) with sob stories and end up stealing their life savings. It is people like that, that make people suspicious and the really needy get passed over

Is that you Henry? :D
Al, Henry's grammar isnt that bad :D

bonitatime
30-10-2011, 11:27
Are we picking on non english grammar again.
I try to give when I can, not sure I would like the agression.