PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Jewellers - are they all like Ratners rip off shops?

CIM
26-10-2011, 14:35
My other half spotted some earrings when walking past a jewelers the other day. White Gold, pretty little things and she really liked them - priced at 220€ :cry:
So we looked at a couple more and later that week checked another jewelers elsewhere for comparison but couldn't find any similar. About 2 weeks later we went back to the first shop and couldn't find them anymore. Asked the shop assistant and she eventually dug them out only to tell us they were priced at 600€!!!
We asked why and told her they were only 220€ a fortnight ago and she just shrugged and said the price of gold had gone up so their prices had as well!!! Seems a tad excessive to increase the price by 172%...
Obviously I got the blame for not buying them the first time :fryingpan:

Is this normal for jewelers? Is there a standard mark up on gold etc? Is it cheaper in the UK for jewelery?

timmylish
26-10-2011, 15:13
Don,t know about cheaper but without a doubt, safer!
Although Mrs.T. is from the former Soviet Block who made very inexpensive, gold jewelery, she refuses to buy decent stuff here and would rather consult the UK market and then to see if she can buy similar stuff back in Moldova. Failing that its good old Amazon!
On the other hand my Daughter knows how to drive a real hard bargain in these sort of shops, when she is here on holiday. So its a question of trying to drive a hard deal or go for the cautious approach by buying from somewhere like Amazon.
I would imagine that you are presently in the "dog-house"!

CIM
26-10-2011, 18:29
I was wondering if I should try and haggle - didnt think I should but if thats the done thing?

missus has made up for it. Sharon of "Tom&Sharon" kindly introduced Maria to Amazon.co.uk and the delights of interent shopping...!
She has since spent more than the earrings would have cost - even at the dearer price :faint:
Bloody internet...

dokgolf
26-10-2011, 18:37
Hi CIM, I bought my missus a watch for her 40th in a jewellers in Los Gigantes. There was a "rebaja" (apologies if I spelt incorrectly) of 20% on some items in the shop. I wouldn't buy unless she applied the same reduction to the watch. She caved in after 5 minutes, saved me 110 euro. So, in my opinion, always haggle!:)

doreen
26-10-2011, 18:45
Of course you must haggle .. there is always a discount to be applied, expecially if you say you are a Resident :)

CIM
26-10-2011, 19:18
It was a local shop in a Spanish town though so I didnt think theyd buy the "residents discount" :)
Will try it next time though but wont be shopping at that one again!

pablo1
26-10-2011, 19:38
I have bought two watches in Tenerife from Jewellers, and the price compared to what i'd pay in the UK was fantastic, but in general I have often thought that an awful lot of the everyday stuff ( chains, earings, bracelets ) looks cheap, with a lot of the really yellow looking gold that you often get in Asian countries.
I'm going to be getting another watch when i'm over in November and would recommend the place by the fountain at the safari center to anyone thinking of getting themselves a nice treat. :-)

casabonny
27-10-2011, 12:43
It was a local shop in a Spanish town though so I didnt think theyd buy the "residents discount" :)
Will try it next time though but wont be shopping at that one again!
We have bought quite a lot of jewellery here over the years and have found it always to be good quality and reasonable priced.We have generally used the Jeweller Joyeria Francis in Las Galletas and they know us well and always give good discounts too.Thier after sales care is excellenttoo, I had a pair of earings with three colour stones which after approx 2 years one stone fell out and was lost.They obtained and replace the stone free of charge , dont think you could ask for more.Hubby bought me matching earings and necklace in BArcelona one year( three coloured gold flower shaped ) and saw the same in Los Cris some time after at ( he said ) more than double the price!
My problem with Amazon is that thier images of jewellry lead you to think items are bigger but I have bought some stuff off there in this department

Suej
27-10-2011, 12:45
I have bought two watches in Tenerife from Jewellers, and the price compared to what i'd pay in the UK was fantastic, but in general I have often thought that an awful lot of the everyday stuff ( chains, earings, bracelets ) looks cheap, with a lot of the really yellow looking gold that you often get in Asian countries.
I'm going to be getting another watch when i'm over in November and would recommend the place by the fountain at the safari center to anyone thinking of getting themselves a nice treat. :-)

Do you mean the shop named "Ideal" Pablo?

Sundowner
27-10-2011, 14:20
Always haggle :) They can only say no, but most of the time you will get a discount!

pablo1
27-10-2011, 19:24
Do you mean the shop named "Ideal" Pablo?

If IDEAL is the one that's directly to the right of the fountain ( imagine you're stood street level, facing forward ) then yes, that's the one.
All the display windows have watches in them, I have bought a couple of Breitlings from there and have no complaints at all. :-)

princessmonika
28-10-2011, 09:09
i bought a ring in san blas 5 years ago .it was an indian --since gone now -- but i paid 300 after coming down from 600 -- got my jewellers in ireland to value it and it was only less than 300 so never again ,atleast i did not loose money