PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a decent size pumpkin in south Tenerife?

no.job.2.small
27-10-2011, 10:40
Does anyone know where i can buy a decent pumpkin this week ?
Have tried fruit & veg shops in Los Cris, and Miraverde but the ones they have are very poor (almost brown on colour and small)
We bought a very nice one last year but dont seem to be able to find simular this year !

Tinkabel
27-10-2011, 15:07
Try the farmers market at San Isidro on Sunday.

soren lorenson
27-10-2011, 15:32
lidl have them €2.49 got one today, not huge but ok, bring on the pumpkin carving!!

no.job.2.small
28-10-2011, 09:08
Which Lidl was that please ? Tried Adeje but none there.

primrose
28-10-2011, 09:36
They had them in Iceland yesterday 5 Euros and they had markings on ready to cut out.

caroletenerife
28-10-2011, 09:39
If you cant get a pumpkin, try a melon, they are alot easier to empty out and look fantastic, especially the yellow ones, as the light shines through the skin alot more than a pumpkin, and the inside tastes alot better xx Happy Halloween:devil2:

soren lorenson
28-10-2011, 10:44
lidl have them €2.49 got one today, not huge but ok, bring on the pumpkin carving!!

Adeje...guess they must have sold out!!!

emmess
28-10-2011, 14:20
If you cant get a pumpkin, try a melon, they are alot easier to empty out and look fantastic, especially the yellow ones, as the light shines through the skin alot more than a pumpkin, and the inside tastes alot better xx Happy Halloween:devil2:

oh, what a good idea! I think we'll do that next year. We've just carved the kids pumpkins and my hands stink - yuk! Plus, I've just offloaded all of the contents into the recycling bin cos we don't like the taste either!

obs
28-10-2011, 14:53
Here's another idea emmess - Pumpkin Cake. It's lovely ..........

Pumpkin Cake

4 ozs margarine
8 ozs SR flour
4 ozs caster sugar
1 level tsp mixed spice
2 beaten eggs
Pinch of salt
2 rounded dessertspoons golden syrup
4 ozs mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup cooked mashed pumpkin

Method

Cream margarine, sugar & syrup till soft. Gradually beat in eggs, fold in the flour & spices, add fruit and mix.
Gradually mix in the pumpkin to a soft cake consistency. Put mixture into a greased 8” tin, lined with greased greaseproof paper.
Bake for 1 hour at 150F

Test after about 50 mins, sometimes doesn't take an hour, sometimes more. Maybe because we are up the mountain a little bit. :) Enjoy! :yum: