PDA

View Full Version : Traffico. What a joke...

davecabezo
27-10-2011, 19:47
Hi,

Just had a notice delivered by post from Traffico, I had to sign 3 different papers and sign on a machine to receive it.

I was gob-smacked by the contents. I've had the letter translated to me and basicly the want to know who was driving my car on the 1st November 2010?? as there was an infringement of the law, it doesn't say what.
Believe it or not but the fine on the document is 900 euros!!! or if I pay within 15 days I get a 20% discount. I rang traffico but they would not give any details by phone so I have to go to Santa Cruz to find out what is going on.

I've had the occational run-in with traffico but this takes the biscuit.

Has anyone else had any experience of anything like this

Regards,

Dave

Greg
27-10-2011, 19:57
Yep, I had exactly the same. Apparently I was caught by a hidden, mobile speed cam doing 87Kph in a 60Kph zone. The same week I got a parking fine of 200€. I should of stayed in bed!

Jackie
27-10-2011, 19:59
I think SuzyQ had a similar problem to this a while ago, where she received a fine but hadn't a clue what it was for..

Cairo
27-10-2011, 20:40
Yup, I had the pleasure of receiving a secret fine too :(

davecabezo
27-10-2011, 21:44
Hi,
I find the whole thing rather depressing, it's like being in a republic where you have no rights. I am flabergasted that they can fine someone nearly 1000 euros for what ?????? Surely there must be a cap on what fines they can mete out.

Dave

Jackie
28-10-2011, 06:57
I think at this time of year this is going to be something that most people can relate to...they are building up their Christmas Party Fund :(

cressrt
28-10-2011, 07:58
I had a speeding fine that I never received, they originally wanted more than €200; I had my gestor/finance people look into it and they managed to get the fine reduced back to the original amount and also allowed the discount. I believe they knew someone in Trafico and caught them on a good day, obviously this will not always be the case but it may be worth getting someone to try to look into it for you.

9PLUS
28-10-2011, 07:59
Just drive bloody slower next time Pal

cheers

x

Madre
28-10-2011, 14:38
Had a fine for parking outside my house been parking there for 6 years but that day for some reason it was not allowed ! I was parked correctly and there are no yellow lines etc.

doreen
28-10-2011, 15:56
Hi,
I find the whole thing rather depressing, it's like being in a republic where you have no rights. I am flabergasted that they can fine someone nearly 1000 euros for what ?????? Surely there must be a cap on what fines they can mete out.

Dave

They will only levy the fine of 900 euros if you do not respond to the question, who was the driver. Sounds like it is a speeding fine involving penalty points which is why they want to know the identity ... end fine could be as little as 200 euros (after the discount for early payment)

carpenter
28-10-2011, 16:56
It does seem as though Spain and the Canaries are still operating under Franco's dictatorship most times.
There doesn't appear to be any easy appeal channels for these sort of things. Correct me if I'm wrong but Spain is part of the EU the same as the UK, in the UK the police cannot pull you over and randomly check your papers, they can only do it with reasonable cause, (human rights) they cannot fine you for a traffic offence without evidence. Any fines (notice of intended prosecution) sent by post in the UK must be received within 14 days of the offence.
Is there not a Member of European Parliament that can help with these crazy bully boy tactics used by the Spanish authorities especially the Guardia Civil? How can you possibly remember something you may have done a year ago?
The same happened to me when despite changing the ownership details of my car the fine was still issued to the previous owner. The fine was for an incorrect manoeuvre/signal on the TF1 some months before. So when eventually the fine caught up with me it was at €400. Why the hell wasn't I pulled over and told of my error at the time? There's only one thing I can say and that's #*#*#*#**#

davecabezo
28-10-2011, 17:45
Hi Just an update.

Went to Traffico in S.Cruz and eventually found out what the problem was, I was caught speeding 62 in a 50 limit and a fine of 300 eu???

They however sent the summons etc to an address I haven't lived at for more than 8 years and in fact I didn't have the car in question while I lived there but they still managed to find me when they needed to, my current car was registered to me at my current address. So on top of the 900 eu I also have this 300 eu fine. I took the paperwork to my solicitor who has charged150 eu to write a letter to Traffico, with obviously no guarantees, so I could be up for a total of 1350 euros for a speeding excess of 12 km/hr. Seems par for the course here in the Tenerife dictatorship!!!

Dave

Balcony
28-10-2011, 17:48
All I can say is welcome to ther wonder world of greedy pigs with their noses in the trough. We've had to ensure this treatment in the UK for a long time.

Hi,

Dave

9PLUS
28-10-2011, 20:27
Hi Just an update.

Went to Traffico in S.Cruz and eventually found out what the problem was, I was caught speeding 62 in a 50 limit and a fine of 300 eu???

They however sent the summons etc to an address I haven't lived at for more than 8 years and in fact I didn't have the car in question while I lived there but they still managed to find me when they needed to, my current car was registered to me at my current address. So on top of the 900 eu I also have this 300 eu fine. I took the paperwork to my solicitor who has charged150 eu to write a letter to Traffico, with obviously no guarantees, so I could be up for a total of 1350 euros for a speeding excess of 12 km/hr. Seems par for the course here in the Tenerife dictatorship!!!

Dave

Did you inform them of your change of address?

Ian55
30-10-2011, 00:29
It does seem as though Spain and the Canaries are still operating under Franco's dictatorship most times.
There doesn't appear to be any easy appeal channels for these sort of things. Correct me if I'm wrong but Spain is part of the EU the same as the UK, in the UK the police cannot pull you over and randomly check your papers, they can only do it with reasonable cause, (human rights) they cannot fine you for a traffic offence without evidence. Any fines (notice of intended prosecution) sent by post in the UK must be received within 14 days of the offence.
Is there not a Member of European Parliament that can help with these crazy bully boy tactics used by the Spanish authorities especially the Guardia Civil? How can you possibly remember something you may have done a year ago?
The same happened to me when despite changing the ownership details of my car the fine was still issued to the previous owner. The fine was for an incorrect manoeuvre/signal on the TF1 some months before. So when eventually the fine caught up with me it was at €400. Why the hell wasn't I pulled over and told of my error at the time? There's only one thing I can say and that's #*#*#*#**#

Just a quick update for you Carpenter :) The Police in the UK can and do pull you over for no reason, my car is 100% legal, tax,insurance,etc etc but i got stopped for going to work at 4.00 am in the morning

Vortex Wake
30-10-2011, 07:36
Just a quick update for you Carpenter :) The Police in the UK can and do pull you over for no reason, my car is 100% legal, tax,insurance,etc etc but i got stopped for going to work at 4.00 am in the morning

It was the balaclava woot did it ;)

TIS
30-10-2011, 09:57
Did you inform them of your change of address?
As per 9Plus, people have to accept they live in Tenerife, where even though we are part of Spain, Tenerfe is autonomos and so applies its own laws, hence we have 5% IGIC an not 18% IVA (rarely does it work in our favour), but one of the main things we have found is that they are stcklers for things like address details being up to date and if not, it is entirely your fault. The worse aspect is that the subsequent fines go up exponentially thereafter and bear no relationship to the original problem. Yet, you try applying the same rules when the authorities do something wrong, like imposing an embargo on your account when the embargo relates to a different company. We eventually got all our money back, but some 19 months after the event, with about 26€ in lost interest and of course no apology. If this had been the other way around the interest and associated additional costs would probably have been thousands.
Rule is, whichever country you live in , learn THEIR rules and try and live by them ( although at times it is impossible to find out exactly what the rules are!)

Ian55
30-10-2011, 10:48
It was the balaclava woot did it ;)

Would that big bag marked 'Swag' given the game away Vortex ? :whistle:

Fred Perry
30-10-2011, 10:57
By the way you can´t add on to your "total" fine the amount charged by your solicitor to write a letter in Spanish. Anyone can write a letter to Trafico, it does not have to be an official one from a lawyer etc.

I had a similar one, I was apparently told to stop by the Guardia Civil coming out of the North Airport but I did not see them and carried on. About 6 months later I recieved a fine for 600€ and was told to (via internet) inform them who the driver was. I wrote a letter of appeal and went up to Trafico to hand it in and hopefully explain to someone about the incident.

They were very helpful and led me out the back, they said sign this piece of paper to admit that you were driving and the fine would now be 200€. If I paid it within 30 days it would be just 100€.
Now, they said you can still appeal but you may lose. I just paid the 100€ (even though I thought I was in the right) as I wanted the end to it.

karinagal
30-10-2011, 11:10
Rule is, whichever country you live in , learn THEIR rules and try and live by them ( although at times it is impossible to find out exactly what the rules are!)

Bit like flying with Ryanair........!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

golf birdie
30-10-2011, 12:25
with my Linea directa policy I have a insurance which can be used to contest things like this. I have been told that 64% of fines contested are cancelled. Worth paying for when buying insurance IMO.

carpenter
30-10-2011, 18:42
Why did they stop you????
Whatever BULL they came up with was there reason!
The sus law was got rid of in the 80's mate

Ian55
30-10-2011, 20:42
Why did they stop you????
Whatever BULL they came up with was there reason!
The sus law was got rid of in the 80's mate

On my way to work, 'Routine check !!!! Its easier to stop, get it over with, and get on your way, not sure when the last time you were in the UK was, but it has changed big time here and its now the start of the 'Festive season drink drive campaign, Dorset Police WILL breathalyse you if they stop you for any reason no matter what time it is, and it aint no joke at 4 in the morning half asleep and on auto pilot :wow:

carpenter
31-10-2011, 13:07
On my way to work, 'Routine check !!!! Its easier to stop, get it over with, and get on your way, not sure when the last time you were in the UK was, but it has changed big time here and its now the start of the 'Festive season drink drive campaign, Dorset Police WILL breathalyse you if they stop you for any reason no matter what time it is, and it aint no joke at 4 in the morning half asleep and on auto pilot :wow:

The Dorset police are the main reason I'm in Tenerife, it was because of there neglect to do their job properly my best friend was murdered 5 years back, but they did send flowers to his funeral so that makes it ok. They also issued my wife with a speeding ticket 3 years ago but in there haste to get the money (that's all they think about same as Guardia) they forgot to make sure that the women that sent the NIP was authorized to do so by the chief inspector so after a very short court case the ticket was thrown out and they had to pay loads of court costs.

Roadkingrider
31-10-2011, 13:18
One of the problems of living in Tenerife - meant to be part of Europe, but let's be honest, a lot of the times, the place is a complete shambles. And' I'll never moan about ANY paperwork in the UK again............and don't care what anyone says, they take non-Canarians to ther cleaners whenever and wherever they can.