PDA

View Full Version : New here, we are off to Tenerife for a 2nd year running. Can't wait :)

beth3735
28-10-2011, 20:12
I found this forum last year when I was googling about the weather in Tenerife. I had just booked our 1st family holiday away with my Husband and our 3 kids.

We stayed at the Villa Mandi in Los Cristianos. Had a fantastic time. The place and people in the resort and locally were very very friendly and welcoming.

Sadly our last day there that lady got be-headed, This hasn't put us off at all, but we are trying to find news on whether he was sentenced or deported.

Anyway apart from that can anyone tell us any other good places to visit? We did Loro Parque and Aqualand. And spent all the time down playa de la vistas beach.

Our children are 8,6 and 3 so we didn't want to waste the money on Siam park due to height restrictions on most slides. We paid 174 euros for 2 adults and 1 child to get to Loro parque, entrance and coach. Luckily 2 youngest were free :)

Btw, Hi all :) hope to join in the chat before we go again next May :)

Sal
28-10-2011, 20:48
We love Los Cris too and I know it must be very expensive for you with a family of young children.

Try Jesus Excursiones as they seem to have big reductions (near the tunnel between Los Cris and LA).

Welcome to the forum too!

LeFrunk
28-10-2011, 20:48
Hi Beth , welcome to the forum , try Mt Tiede tour . The kids will love going up to the top in the cable car then looking down and seeing the islands in the distance and all above the cloud level . Dont forget to take your camera and watch your valuables .

beth3735
28-10-2011, 21:02
Sal thank you :) Im never 100% whether we actually ventured to LA tbh. We always went into to place with Playa de la vistas beach and walked along the front to the harbour which I assume was Los Cristianos. Thank you for the recommendation for Jesus Excursions. Will ask the reps where it is :) Tbh we didn't find it mega money with the 3 kids. Its more expensive holiday costs initially than other places we could go to, but the portion sizes out there meant meals were only for 4 of us, 3 yr old shared lol Days out were the main cost though, which is why we spent about 4 days just along the beach :)

LeFrunk,

We were looking at Mt Tiede but was told its a long drive up there? If its no longer than going to Loro Parque from Los Cristianos then that will be ok for the kids. Its something Me and my husband would love to do though :)

marbro8
28-10-2011, 21:11
hi beth, the villa mandi was our first holiday in tenerife about 6 years ago, we used to love the walk into las americas and the view of the golf course from the balcony, why not try a visit to the monkey park, it costs about 10 euros for adults don't know about kids? but apart from the chimps and a few other gages you can actually walk through some with small monkey's in them, and feed them with food brought from the kiosk, but a top tip is to take some fresh fruit because they are very picky lol, and if you give the chimps bottles of water they will drink it and refill them from the taps and squirt it over you ha ha;)

beth3735
28-10-2011, 21:18
marbro We drove past that Monkey world on the way up to Loro Parque, looks small from the front. Was it a good day? The kids all love Monkeys and Gorillas so this along with the price seems like a trip we could do. Thanks for the tip with the fresh fruit and water. Will have to get my Daughter to give them water, She was dying to get a cuddle and splash off the Sea lions, she got the splash! So this is right up her alley :p

When you came out of the main entrance in Villa Mandi which way did you walk to get to Las Americas, Only place we walked and could see to walk was up past the Chinese shop and onto the beach?

LeFrunk
28-10-2011, 21:22
Sal thank you :) Im never 100% whether we actually ventured to LA tbh. We always went into to place with Playa de la vistas beach and walked along the front to the harbour which I assume was Los Cristianos. Thank you for the recommendation for Jesus Excursions. Will ask the reps where it is :) Tbh we didn't find it mega money with the 3 kids. Its more expensive holiday costs initially than other places we could go to, but the portion sizes out there meant meals were only for 4 of us, 3 yr old shared lol Days out were the main cost though, which is why we spent about 4 days just along the beach :)

LeFrunk,

We were looking at Mt Tiede but was told its a long drive up there? If its no longer than going to Loro Parque from Los Cristianos then that will be ok for the kids. Its something Me and my husband would love to do though :)

Hi Beth , you can book the half day tour which i would recommend for the kids , dont forget Park Aquillas (Jungle Park) up the hill from Los Cris , great day out for the kids and adults too , they let the eagles , hawkes and all the other big birds out for the show and then the parott show . This all with the Lions , Tigers and almost every animal that you would see in a zoo .

Sal
28-10-2011, 21:36
hi beth, the villa mandi was our first holiday in tenerife about 6 years ago, we used to love the walk into las americas and the view of the golf course from the balcony, why not try a visit to the monkey park, it costs about 10 euros for adults don't know about kids? but apart from the chimps and a few other gages you can actually walk through some with small monkey's in them, and feed them with food brought from the kiosk, but a top tip is to take some fresh fruit because they are very picky lol, and if you give the chimps bottles of water they will drink it and refill them from the taps and squirt it over you ha ha;)

marbro We drove past that Monkey world on the way up to Loro Parque, looks small from the front. Was it a good day? The kids all love Monkeys and Gorillas so this along with the price seems like a trip we could do. Thanks for the tip with the fresh fruit and water. Will have to get my Daughter to give them water, She was dying to get a cuddle and splash off the Sea lions, she got the splash! So this is right up her alley :p

When you came out of the main entrance in Villa Mandi which way did you walk to get to Las Americas, Only place we walked and could see to walk was up past the Chinese shop and onto the beach?

Monkey Park is great if your kids love animals (not very commercial - no rides, all about animals). It's only a half-day trip and easy to do from Los Cris by taxi as it's just the other side of motorway (TF1).

marbro8
28-10-2011, 21:44

When you came out of the main entrance in Villa Mandi which way did you walk to get to Las Americas, Only place we walked and could see to walk was up past the Chinese shop and onto the beach?we turned right out of villa mandi up to the mariolanza golf, then turned left over the car park opposite and i think it's the local court? go over the road by the roundabout, and walk down past the mercadona and turn right then left down 63 steps(we have counted them) lol there is another way if you have a pushchair just at the left hand side of the mercadona, that brings you outside the vista sur shopping centre and ultimately las vistas beach, but yes we enjoyed the day at monkey park, get there early before they are fed, the park is a rescue centre and the staff work for next to nothing, but not only can you walk with monkeys but there are iguanas and giant tortoises as well

dokgolf
28-10-2011, 21:49
Hi Beth and welcome to the forum. If you are thinking of Mt Teide, it is possible to get permission to go to the very top. I brought my 2 eldest there last year ( 7 & 9 yr old) and well worth it. The email address to apply for the permit is teide@oapn.es. You will need individual passports numbers for those who intend to travel.

marbro8
28-10-2011, 21:55
Hi Beth and welcome to the forum. If you are thinking of Mt Teide, it is possible to get permission to go to the very top. I brought my 2 eldest there last year ( 7 & 9 yr old) and well worth it. The email address to apply for the permit is teide@oapn.es. You will need individual passports numbers for those who intend to travel.and make sure you wear something warm cus although it is 28 degrees on the beach it is about minus 20 on teidi lol as i found out while walking about in my shorts and dithering for 20 mins, that is all i could stand it for:ashamed: and don't book on a windy day because they close the cable car down, although it is difficult to know weather it is going to be windy on the day you book it:o

dokgolf
28-10-2011, 22:03
We climbed it in August, Marbro. We brought jackets with us presuming it would be a lot colder at the top. It was but only by about 5 degrees. In fact, it was much nicer there than at ground level. I got the mother of all sunburns on my shoulders cos we left the sun cream in the car (thinking we would be wearing jackets all the time!):(

marbro8
28-10-2011, 22:25
We climbed it in August, Marbro. We brought jackets with us presuming it would be a lot colder at the top. It was but only by about 5 degrees. In fact, it was much nicer there than at ground level. I got the mother of all sunburns on my shoulders cos we left the sun cream in the car (thinking we would be wearing jackets all the time!):(perhaps i am just nish;)