PDA

View Full Version : Motor Sport Tenerife Forum Formula 1 discussion thread

Tenerife_Smurf
29-05-2011, 12:29
Welcome to the Tenerife Forum Formula 1 discussion thread! :)

Tenerife_Smurf
29-05-2011, 12:35
World champion Sebastian Vettel claimed his fifth pole position in six races in qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix on Saturday.

The Red Bull driver lapped the 3.340km Monte-Carlo street circuit in a time of one minute 13.556 seconds to go 0.441secs quicker than McLaren's Jenson Button.

Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber lines up third ahead of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, with Mercedes GP's Michael Schumacher fifth.

Alonso's team-mate Felipe Massa starts sixth ahead of Mercedes GP's Nico Rosberg, Williams driver Pastor Maldonado and McLaren's Lewis Hamilton.

However, the final driver to make it through to the top-10 shoot-out, Sauber's Sergio Perez, will miss Sunday's race after suffering a heavy crash in the final session.

Times:

1 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 1min 13.556secs, 2 Jenson Button (Gbr) McLaren 1:13.997, 3 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 1:14.019, 4 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari 1:14.483, 5 Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes GP 1:14.682, 6 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:14.877, 7 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes GP 1:15.766, 8 Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams 1:16.528, 9 Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren No Time 10 Sergio Perez (Mex) Sauber-Ferrari No Time, 11 Vitaly Petrov (Rus) Renault 1:15.815, 12 Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Williams 1:15.826, 13 Kamui Kobayashi (Jpn) Sauber-Ferrari 1:15.973, 14 Paul di Resta (Gbr) Force India 1:16.118, 15 Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India 1:16.121, 16 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) Renault 1:16.214, 17 Sebastien Buemi (Swi) Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:16.300, 18 Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) Lotus F1 1:17.343, 19 Jarno Trulli (Ita) Lotus F1 1:17.381, 20 Jaime Alguersuari (Spa) Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:17.820, 21 Timo Glock (Ger) Virgin Racing 1:17.914, 22 Jerome d'Ambrosio (Bel) Virgin Racing 1:18.736, 23 Narain Karthikeyan (Ind) HRT-F1 No Time, 24 Vitantonio Liuzzi (Ita) HRT-F1 No Time

Harmonicaman
29-05-2011, 12:36
Today's grid at Monaco.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-2.png

garlicbread
29-05-2011, 18:13
F1 2011 results

Monaco Grand Prix
Monte Carlo, Sunday, 29 May 2011Race
Position Country Driver Car number Team Grid position Race time Points
1 germany Sebastian Vettel 1 Red Bull-Renault 1 2:09:38.373 25
2 spain Fernando Alonso 5 Ferrari 4 2:09:39.511 18
3 great britain Jenson Button 4 McLaren-Mercedes 2 2:09:40.7

tonypub
29-05-2011, 18:21
must say f1 so much more exciting this year thanks to all the changes.cant take your eyes off a race now

Tom
29-05-2011, 18:48
must say f1 so much more exciting this year thanks to all the changes.cant take your eyes off a race now

Definitely less of a procession this year at Monaco .

wen53
30-05-2011, 01:06
I like Lewis' comments on his penalties.........Is it coz I'm black? It does seem like he attracts a lot of attention from the stewards.

slodgedad
30-05-2011, 01:17
I like Lewis' comments on his penalties.........Is it coz I'm black? It does seem like he attracts a lot of attention from the stewards.

Crap. As soon as he got on his team radio moaning about the obvious infraction he was doomed.

Sounded like a schoolkid caught smoking and saying he was holding it for someone else.

And the 'Coz I'm Black' comment makes absolutely no sense when you look at the multitude of nationalities involved.

He needs to stay away from American pop stars with a chip on their shoulder and concentrate on what he is best at.

wen53
30-05-2011, 02:03
he did aplogise later for the comment, it just made me chuckle. It was obvious he was going to get a drive through as Paul Di Resta got one for exactly the same move.

Tenerife_Smurf
30-05-2011, 09:46
Sebastian Vettel won a chaotic Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday after holding off Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button in a tight finish.

The defending world champion won his fifth race of the season after taking a gamble that saw him run 56 of the race's 78 laps on one set of tyres.

It paid off, though, and despite the Red Bull driver, Alonso and Button lapping nose to tail during the closing minutes, he held on for his first victory in the Principality.

Button had earlier led the race and appeared poised to win himself but fell foul of a Safety Car incident that handed the advantage back to Vettel.

The German was looking to run a total of 61 laps on one set of harder compound tyres but as Alonso and Button closed on him, another Safety Car incident seven laps from home forced the race to be stopped.

Vettel was therefore able to change tyres and so the question of whether he might have held out against the fresher rubber of Alonso, who stopped twice, and Button, who pitted three times, around the tight confines of the Monaco track remains unanswered.

His Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber finished fourth ahead of Sauber's Kamui Kobayashi, with a difficult afternoon for McLaren's Lewis Hamilton resulting in sixth place.

Force India's Adrian Sutil was seventh ahead of Renault's Nick Heidfeld, with Williams driver Rubens Barrichello and Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi claiming the final world championship points.

At the end of a race that, with interruptions, lasted almost two-and-a-quarter hours, Vettel now finds himself 58 points ahead of Hamilton in the drivers' championship.

Red Bull, meanwhile, have 222 points in the constructors' standings with McLaren second on 161.

Result:

1 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 2hr 09mins 38.373secs, 2 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari 2:09:39.511, 3 Jenson Button (Gbr) McLaren 2:09:40.751, 4 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 2:10:01.474, 5 Kamui Kobayashi (Jpn) Sauber-Ferrari 2:10:05.289, 6 Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren 2:10:05.583, 7 Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India at 1 Lap, 8 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) Renault at 1 Lap, 9 Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Williams at 1 Lap, 10 Sebastien Buemi (Swi) Scuderia Toro Rosso at 1 Lap, 11 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes GP at 2 Laps, 12 Paul di Resta (Gbr) Force India at 2 Laps, 13 Jarno Trulli (Ita) Lotus F1 at 2 Laps, 14 Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) Lotus F1 at 2 Laps, 15 Jerome d'Ambrosio (Bel) Virgin Racing at 3 Laps, 16 Vitantonio Liuzzi (Ita) HRT-F1 at 3 Laps, 17 Narain Karthikeyan (Ind) HRT-F1 at 4 Laps, 18 Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams at 5 LapsNot Classified: 19 Vitaly Petrov (Rus) Renault 67 laps completed, 20 Jaime Alguersuari (Spa) Scuderia Toro Rosso 66 laps completed, 21 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 32 laps completed, 22 Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes GP 32 laps completed, 23 Timo Glock (Ger) Virgin Racing 30 laps completed, 24 Sergio Perez (Mex) Sauber-Ferrari Did not start

TenerifeTeddy
30-05-2011, 10:08
Probably the most exciting Monaco grand prix Iīve seen, which despite the location and all the hype is after all mostly just a procession, with positions in the past only being changed by accidents or pit stop strategy. Nice to see some genuine overtakes on that circuit.

Ísnīt Lewis like a sulky boy though when things donīt go his way. He would soon be complaining if other drivers pulled those moves on him.

lord_cheeseman
30-05-2011, 11:09
looks like hamilton is starting to revert to type
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/13588664.stm

From what i saw he caused a crash or two I can't really see what he has to complain about. It's sad he is having to try and play the race card in order to extract favourable decisions from the officials.

reggie
30-05-2011, 12:38
Hamilton is as much white as he is black, white mother, black father, Why did he have to say that, I thought he was differant, turns out not, naomi how dare you compare me to chocolate, friggin el, Seems to me when they get a few quid in the bank, atitude changes, I saw hamilton snr throwing himself about in the pits, last race, Being mega rich doe's not mean you can win all the time, He's lost a lot of respect this weekend, I was proud of him. Not anymore,

lord_cheeseman
30-05-2011, 21:33
at best he just made a silly remark at worst he is trying to sow seeds into the minds of the officials that he should be given preferential treatment ahead of other drivers because of the colour of his skin. If they don't, they are racist.

Tenerife_Smurf
04-06-2011, 10:55
The Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead this season, on October 30, after the World Motor Sport Council agreed that it should be put back on the 2011 calendar.

Bahrain was scheduled to host the season-opening grand prix in March. However, the race was postponed due to political unrest within the island kingdom.

The country, though, claims it is on the road to stability and on Wednesday emergency rule was lifted, with Bahrain officials stating they hoped tourists and F1 would return to their country.

F1's World Motor Sport Council met on Friday to discuss the matter, and despite opposition from the likes of former world champion Damon Hill, they have decided to reinstate the race.

In what is likely to be an equally unpopular move, the Bahrain GP will now replace the Indian GP on October 30, with that race now moving to the end of the schedule and making the season drag on until December.

garlicbread
11-06-2011, 19:26
FORMULA ONE
Vettel blasts to pole in Canada

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel takes a scintillating pole position for the Canadian Grand Prix ahead of the Ferraris of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa with Lewis Hamilton fifth.

casabonny
11-06-2011, 21:09
Very interseting qualy today and glad that Vettel is on pole , would have hated it to have been Alonso.Hope Lewis can do some good tommorrow and get some good poin ts or with luck at least second.Go Lewis !

reggie
11-06-2011, 21:19
I predict mahem at the first corner, too many ego's trying to be first round the corner, :hit:

casabonny
11-06-2011, 21:30
I predict mahem at the first corner, too many ego's trying to be first round the corner, :hit:

I think you could be right there ! but lets hope some get off and around it all no names mentioned of course:lol:
By the way Smurf , thanks for starting this thread again , lets hope it gets a good a response as before .

Vortex Wake
12-06-2011, 19:53
This is a bit boring . I think Martin and David have run out of stuff to say .
http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-0c0d-834d.jpg

Goforgold
12-06-2011, 21:02
Just re-started. The weather over there looks just about the same as we are having here today!! I'm off to bed with a hot water bottle and leave OH to it!!! :)

reggie
12-06-2011, 21:02
I agree. Rain stopped play ?, whats this tennis ?, Hamilton needs to get a grip,

garlicbread
12-06-2011, 23:12
Jenson Button took a stunning victory in a dramatic Canadian Grand Prix by passing Sebastian Vettel on the last lap.

Vettel spun his Red Bull under pressure to gift the win to Button, who recovered after a collision with McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

Red Bull's Mark Webber was third to deprive Mercedes driver Michael Schumacher of a podium place.

Vettel now leads the championship by 60 points from Button.

An incident-packed race saw the safety car used five times and included a two-hour stoppage for heavy rain. Button himself made five pit stops on his way to victory as well as an enforced visit to the pits for a drive-through penalty for speeding under the safety car.

An emotional Button described the win as possibly the best of his career.

"I don't know what to say - if I hadn't won I would still have enjoyed the race immensely, but it was a fantastic win," he said.

"If you have it in your hands and give it away it is not the sweetest feeling," said Vettel.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said Button deserved the victory.

"Coming through six times from 21st is incredible," said Whitmarsh.

"He just attacked and attacked and delivered a fantastic race."

source: BBC.co.uk

reggie
13-06-2011, 08:19
I had to laugh at vettal, the gob on him when they went upstairs, then hamilton trying to look pleased for button, like bl--dy kids they are, Yes button deserved that win, and webber wants a medal for screwing it up for the other kraut, England 1 germany 0 - again

garlicbread
13-06-2011, 10:51
I had to laugh at vettal, the gob on him when they went upstairs, then hamilton trying to look pleased for button, like bl--dy kids they are, Yes button deserved that win, and webber wants a medal for screwing it up for the other kraut, England 1 germany 0 - again

You can be so eloquent reggie

nurse ratchet
13-06-2011, 11:31
"What Hamilton did there goes beyond all boundaries. He is completely mad," Niki Lauda, the three-times world champion said after Lewis Hamilton broke his car while attempting to overtake Jenson Button. "If the FIA does not punish him, I do not understand the world any more. You cannot drive like this as it will result in someone getting killed."

When Lauda speaks, the F1 world listens. And it's not the first time this season that Hamilton has been accused of outlandish behaviour on the track.

Hamilton has collided with four drivers in the past two races and been investigated by the stewards on five occasions — for two incidents in the space of three laps yesterday at the Canadian Grand Prix as he first collided with Mark Webber, before finding out that his own team-mate would be his next victim.

But is he really a serious threat to the other drivers on the circuit or merely a man desperate to win and provide some entertainment on the way? After years of dreariness we suddenly have a brash and exciting star to light up the sport. Hamilton is a breath of fresh air amid the politics and technicalities. A bit of danger is what we want. Hamilton is good for the sport.

Isn't he?

What do you think?

TenerifePool
13-06-2011, 11:44
I watched the race yesterday in a bar with a group of Spanish Friends (who all hate Hamilton) and they were all dissappointed that He had to retire early. Hamilton pushes to the limit (and beyond) and guarantees an edge of the seat spectacle, love him or hate him you have to admire him.

satandpcguy
13-06-2011, 13:01
Shamilton is just too cocky for his own good. Just because he has been nutured by McLaren since he was a sperm, he belives the whole world of McLaren and F1 should revolve around him. Epsecialy since he split from his dad as manager and went more showbizzy with nicole and his new manager (simon fuller of spice girls fame).
Some peopel say The Sham is driving and trying to be like his hero, a certain A Senna. Nope. Senna was a great driver, and even admitted his mistakes. The Sham does not. He was complaining on Saturday that the car was too slow and McLaren net to pick up their game. So why was JBs car the fastest on the track on Sunday?

Good for JB. Good drive and great pressue for Vettel. Great battle for third with Shuey Webber and Koby - especially with schey defending whilst the others tried to overtake with DRS (which was on the onboard feed most of the time, as the director of the main feed seemed to miss most of the action when it was needed!).

Hamilton is good for the sport
The race would have been just as exciting if he wasnt there. In fact this season would be as well. Especially with the tyre situation. I am still undecided about DRS. Maybe they shold have waited for a year to have DRS, and seen what the tyres did this season.

and this is always good for a laugh in case you missed some of them yesterday
http://brundlequotes.com

reggie
13-06-2011, 18:11
You can be so eloquent reggie

Its Motor sport, bloke speak, you want eloquent watch tennis,

howard thornton
13-06-2011, 18:19
Its Motor sport, bloke speak, you want eloquent watch tennis,

mods insulting you again reggie? bang the button mate.

Sarah
13-06-2011, 19:17
Well done to the BBC and brilliant drive from Button. :mexicanwave:

satandpcguy
13-06-2011, 20:56
Well done to the BBC
got to disagree on that point.
their performance this season has been dreaful.
in this weekends race they constantly lost signals (driver tracker, on board, and even in each of the free practises). This loss of pciture is happening just about in each race weekend these days. In the main race they lost the HD feed, and audio, and for a time the HD channel was showing the SD feed!
The let MC and DC babble on for 90minutes, and when they finally went to EJ and JH in the garages they interviewed George Lucas!!!!WTF!!!!!???????then back to MB and DC. EJ was actually on German TV doing interviews!!!
And then they decide not to have the post race analysis / forum for a race that most definatly deserved it...where they would have told you about the result of the penalties and things...

Its only the action in the race that saved the day.

have a look at http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Pages/on_event.aspx for the press releases and stewards decision fromt he horsemouth...

Sarah
14-06-2011, 20:52
They have planes to catch they'd already been on air
for hours what do you expect !!!!

Harmonicaman
15-06-2011, 21:24
KERS

http://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks#21120050

reggie
15-06-2011, 21:47
Nice one cam, when you think about the kenetic energy that is wasted, instead of harnesed, which given the technology these days , its criminal its not being used, thought the japs would be on the case, toyota lexus, honda and nissan, Energy stored from braking, even the cooling fan on the front of cars, could be used to charge battery's as your moving along, Hgv and coaches used a system called telmar years ago for braking, makes you wonder if there are hidden forces at large, to put the kybosh on things like that, The UK would go down the pan without fuel duty on petrol,

casabonny
16-06-2011, 10:26
I think Hamilton is fantastic and brings an edge to the sport .There is no doubt that Vettal is a brilliant driver and all IMHO Lewis is doing is trying to have a PROPER race .Its a sport for Gods sake and with out the overtaking what would it be 24 men out for Sunday afternoon driveDUH.The Stewarts are all it seems " old school drivers" and cant get thier heads aroun d some real drama and danger.These young drivers have no fear ( rightly so in my opinion that will comelater in life) and drive accordingly.Even Schummaker is starting to show some of his former "form? style of driving " and he too seems to get slammed for it.#
F1 will loose a lot of support if the powers to be dont get thier acts together and let the drives RACE... thats what they are paid for.

Vortex Wake
16-06-2011, 10:39
As satandpcguy should know the BBC takes its feed from the host broadcaster or Formula 1 management .

I suspect that when the BBC hd signal reverts to sd - so do all the other broadcasters.

satandpcguy
16-06-2011, 11:25
As satandpcguy should know the BBC takes its feed from the host broadcaster or Formula 1 management .

I suspect that when the BBC hd signal reverts to sd - so do all the other broadcasters.

Not in Canada. The world HD feed was fine, yet the beeb lost it and reverted to the SD feed on HD channel.
In the same way the BBC have lost signals during free practice (again this happened in Canada, but has happened a few other times in other races this year also), yet other broadcasters showing it had no problems.

Nikas
28-06-2011, 13:44
Nice to see that here are fans of Formula 1. What do you guys think about active exhaust which will be banned from Silverstone Grand Prix and from Valencia Engine-mapping clampdown?

satandpcguy
28-06-2011, 14:10
I think it is silly to do it mid season.
F Ducts were frowned upon early last season, then a "will they ban them or not" mid season, then nope, they are OK for the rest of the season.
Do changes at the end of the season...not mid season.
And for those thinking this is a Anti Red Bull thing, then look how they managed to pass all the inspections last year about their front wing...even with the weight tests increased a lot, and still they passed.
Perhaps Bernie thinks these changes will make the championship last longer, as it is pretty much finished by now...2 more wins and its Sebs again. In fact they said on the Beeb that Seb does not even have to race the next THREE races and he will still be leading.
At least the rule changes have made the cars more reliable...all 24 cars finishing for only the 3 or 4th time ever!

Well Valencia was not as exciting for fans as the other races, but there were some good battles midfield. Hope the new Silverstone proves to be a good race...

Nikas
20-08-2011, 11:39
It was nice to see Button in HUNGARORING. I can't wait SPA and it's weather. Great chance for Button again. ;)

wen53
29-08-2011, 10:50
Button did well. Lewis did not.

still think it's going to be Vettel and Red Bull as champions.

casabonny
29-08-2011, 12:06
What a farce for Lewis.If he had done the things that happened to hin to someone else there WOULD have been serious infractions.Oh and whats with Lewis getting reprimanded rolleyes2:
All that aside it was a good race and well done to Button on keeping Alonso furthre down the field.

nook
18-03-2012, 10:28
Well done to Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton...lets hope they can keep up the pace.

trevorife2
18-03-2012, 13:45
just noticed this thread ,..... well done to the mclaren bit gutted to see schuey out of the race as i think we were in for an even better race with him on track

nook
19-03-2012, 09:16
just noticed this thread ,..... well done to the mclaren bit gutted to see schuey out of the race as i think we were in for an even better race with him on track
i think schuey will win again this season.
watch out for RED BULL, iv'e noticed for a while the tactic of coming into the pit lane when McLAREN are pitting,thus making it a bit harder to for our boys to pull away.they then decide to go back in the garage.

trevorife2
19-03-2012, 21:53
i think schuey will win again this season.
watch out for RED BULL, iv'e noticed for a while the tactic of coming into the pit lane when McLAREN are pitting,thus making it a bit harder to for our boys to pull away.they then decide to go back in the garage.

yeah seen that tactic... i think mclaren are a bit ahead this season so shouldnt matter too much (unless redbull getsome good updates ??)

nook
20-03-2012, 09:45
i think one to watch who might spring a few suprises this year is Pastor Maldonado (Williams) also I would love to see either of the Sauber drivers in Massa's seat..They are both made for Ferarri..
What do others think?
Who would you like to see move up

trevorife2
20-03-2012, 18:17
i think one to watch who might spring a few suprises this year is Pastor Maldonado (Williams) also I would love to see either of the Sauber drivers in Massa's seat..They are both made for Ferarri..
What do others think?
Who would you like to see move up
one of the sauber lads to replace webber and i would like to see kobiashi move to a faster team .. ie liked him from day one

nook
20-03-2012, 18:51
I agree,Kobayashi is something else.he's made for Ferarri.he would drive on bare rims if he had to.The Italians would love him.(lionheart springs to mind)
As for Perez,I feel he is a little more refined but still very quick.

*Cian*
11-04-2012, 03:21
My prediction is a Barrichello return to Ferrari!! Lets be honest Massa's gotta go...

I'm a mclaren fan true and true, delighted with the standings obviously!
As a neutralist i think it was a great confidence boost for Alonso to win at Malaysia, even if Sauber stayed back to keep engine suppliers sweet!!:P Perez could have a great season if Sauber do things right..

My tip for china is both Mercedes AMG's in the points.. I think schumacher is due a podium also but this will depend on the red bull pace i think...

I also fancy Raikonnen to pull off a win before the seasons out!!

nook
11-04-2012, 16:38
i think it will be Lewis 1st and Jenson 2nd with Scumacher 3rd this weekend..as for Barrichello,i think he needs to stay in the states,much as I like him I feel he lost a bit of motivation of late.

trevorife2
11-04-2012, 21:34
what about perez ??? another suprise from him thid weekend ??? button to make ammends for the last race and get the win

nook
12-04-2012, 08:30
if its a dry race and no safety car I think Perez will not manage better than 6th

trevorife2
13-04-2012, 08:31
Now hamilton has no pressure (starting from pole ) i see him doing well this weekend . just watching practice ans schuey is looking strong again

s1monsg
13-04-2012, 10:13
Hamilton won't be able to start from pole. I saw a report yesterday that he's going to have a gearbox change, so a 5 place grid penalty...boooooo!!!! Still it'll probably give him a little more to go for and if there's rain, well, we know what he's like then. Should be a good one.

trevorife2
13-04-2012, 21:12
Hamilton won't be able to start from pole. I saw a report yesterday that he's going to have a gearbox change, so a 5 place grid penalty...boooooo!!!! Still it'll probably give him a little more to go for and if there's rain, well, we know what he's like then. Should be a good one.

Sorry meant to say not starting from pole .... he will be under less pressure now and reckon he will push for a podium ... looking forward to the race now

s1monsg
13-04-2012, 21:40
Totally agree Trevor, should be a good one. I see he said today that he is looking forward to the race, pointing out that Alonso did well in the last race from a poor starting position.

Sunterra
14-04-2012, 14:08
Does anyone know which bars in Las Americas/Los Cristianos area are showing the F1 via Sky?

s1monsg
14-04-2012, 14:30
It's on BBC1 live this time, first one this year. 7am tomorrow. I know it doesn't tell which bar will show it, but it probably opens up your options.

Added after 2 Hours 41 minutes:

Well, I've just looked at the qualifying results...WOW, what a line up. Mercedes front row, thanks to Hamilton's penalty and Kobyashi second row alongside Kimi. Ferraris way down the grid and whoever would have believed that Vettel wouldn't make it through to Q3??? Should be a good battle tomorrow.

trevorife2
14-04-2012, 20:47
had to work this morning but when i saw the 1st 3 rows i can only imagine what a great opening 1st corner we are in for !!!!!! id love to be in tenerife for the race but will have to wait till september/october

Ecky Thump
29-12-2016, 19:03
It's just been announced that Nigel Mansell has been voted greatest one-time F1 champion by BBC Sport readers

He's seventh on the all-time list of grand prix winners, enjoyed a stellar 15-year career and was rated by many as the strongest and bravest driver in an era of megastars - and now Nigel Mansell has been named Formula 1's greatest one-time world champion by BBC Sport readers.

On the back of Nico Rosberg winning his first - and, as it's turned out, only - F1 title in November, we asked you to select your favourite one-time champion from a list of the 17 men to achieve that feat.

Nigel's 32% voting share was almost double that of fellow Briton James Hunt, the 1976 champion, who got 17%. Recently retired Jenson Button, title-winner in 2009, completed the top three with 14%.

The BBC's chief F1 writer Andrew Benson is among those who rank Mansell as the best in this particular field.

"It's a close call with John Surtees and Jochen Rindt," he said. "But it has to be Nigel Mansell, all that muscular bravery and speed allowing him to race toe-to-toe with Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost and hold his head high."

Your top five (Based on most number-one picks)
6 Damon Hill, 7 John Surtees, 8 Jacques Villeneuve, 9 Mario Andretti, 10 Nico Rosberg, 11 Mike Hawthorn, 12 Alan Jones, 13 Giuseppe Farina, 14 Jody Scheckter, 15 Keke Rosberg, 16 Phil Hill, 17 Denny Hulme
1. Nigel Mansell 32%
2. James Hunt 17%
3. Jenson Button 14%
4. Kimi Raikkonen 12%
5. Jochen Rindt 5%

Record crowds turned out to support Nigel Mansell at Silverstone as 'Mansell mania' reached its peak in the late 1980s and early 1990s
The road to F1 was a rocky one for Mansell, marred by serious injury and financial difficulty, and it remained turbulent after he finally clawed his way into the elite with Lotus in 1980.

His three races in that debut season brought two retirements and one failure to qualify. To add injury to insult, he also severely burned his backside in his very first race, in Austria, after fuel leaked on to his seat.

It was a painful moment but also a prescient one, because high drama mixed with a dollop of gritty determination were traits that that would come to typify Mansell's F1 career.

In Dallas in 1984 he famously collapsed after pushing his car over the finish line in scorching temperatures, while at the 1987 Austrian Grand Prix at the Osterreichring he banged his head on a low-bridge during the post-race celebrations.

It took him five long years to win his first race - the 1985 European Grand Prix at Brands Hatch for Williams - after which the victories came thick and fast.

His first spell at Williams brought world title tilts in 1986, when a blown tyre famously ended his hopes in Adelaide, and 1987, when a heavy qualifying crash in Suzuka did likewise.

But among the pain and frustration there were major successes, most memorably on home soil at the British Grand Prix, which he won on four occasions, in 1986, 1987 - a race famous for Mansell's stunning overtake on Nelson Piquet into Stowe - 1991 and 1992.

Writing in 2013, the BBC's chief F1 writer Andrew Benson described that 1987 Silverstone win as the "consummation of a love affair that lasted until Mansell's retirement in 1992".

The written media gave it another description: 'Mansell mania'.

"In that period, Mansell became synonymous with Silverstone," added Benson.

Mansell was big news for the British media, as this tub-thumping Sunday Times advertisement from 1992 shows
"He set the fastest lap in every one of those races between 1987 and 1992. It is little wonder, then, that more than 200,000 people crammed into Silverstone to watch his final, dominant, victory before his home crowd."

That 1992 Silverstone triumph was part of his crushing march towards that season's world title, which he finally wrapped up in Hungary - 12 years and 176 races after his debut.

After quitting F1 at the end of 1992 to race in the USA - where he won the IndyCar series at his first attempt - he returned for a handful of races in 1994 and 1995 at Williams and McLaren.

His final win at the 1994 Australian Grand Prix was the 31st of his career - the highest tally of any one-time champion. It was eclipsed at the time only by Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna, and subsequently by Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso.

In addition to the top three, 1996 champion Damon Hill picked up 4.9% of top-rank votes, John Surtees, the 1964 title winner, 4.6%, and Mike Hawthorn, Britain's first world champion in 1958, attracted 1.4%.

Kimi Raikkonen, the 2007 champion, leads the charge for non-British drivers in fourth place, while Jochen Rindt, the 1970 winner and the sport's only posthumous champion, takes fifth.

Elsewhere, Giuseppe Farina, the first F1 world champion in 1950, has not seen his exploits lost in the fog of time after attracting more votes than Jody Scheckter (1979 champion), Keke Rosberg (1982), Phil Hill (1961) and Denny Hulme (1967).

And finally, the other thing to take from this is to not assume that just because someone is currently making headlines they are going to attract loads of votes.

The newest world champion on this list, Nico Rosberg, is down in 10th place after attracting just 1.8% of all top votes cast.