PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with the weather this year?

RayJ
03-11-2011, 11:39
With the weather..??

We come to Tenerife (usually Los Cristianos) around 3 times a year usually between Oct - March as the weather is always good. However the past few times we have visited the weather hasn't been great and we've had lots and lots of rain.

I've been keeping my eye on the weather and it seems to have been pretty wet the last 2 weeks, we are flying out on Saturday for a week and up until this morning it was forecast to be sunny..... until now - it's forecast constant showers for a week while we're there. Feel like cancelling the flights to be honest!

What's the view on the weather from the residents? Is it generally getting worse?

So much for global warming eh...!

Balcony
03-11-2011, 11:46
Oh my, what lovely news. Not. Suppose you wouldn't find changing your destination and take the rain with you? We're out tomorrow and want SUNSHINE.

The forecast I saw doesn't look too bad.

RayJ
03-11-2011, 11:50
Yeah I've been looking all week and it seemed fine, then this morning.....

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Tenerife-/-Sur-Reina-SPXX0210

YOUNG GOLFER
03-11-2011, 12:04
With the weather..??

We come to Tenerife (usually Los Cristianos) around 3 times a year usually between Oct - March as the weather is always good. However the past few times we have visited the weather hasn't been great and we've had lots and lots of rain.

I've been keeping my eye on the weather and it seems to have been pretty wet the last 2 weeks, we are flying out on Saturday for a week and up until this morning it was forecast to be sunny..... until now - it's forecast constant showers for a week while we're there. Feel like cancelling the flights to be honest!

What's the view on the weather from the residents? Is it generally getting worse?

So much for global warming eh...!

Wow what a RAY of sunshine you are....its not been raining that much and if you are to cancel your flight then that would be a waste of money.
No one can say 100% it's going to be sunny for your visit.....but i think it's fair to say the weather in Tenerife this year so far has been very good.

tonypub
03-11-2011, 12:35
theres only one place with guaranteed sunshine but no-ones been there yet:Dhardly rained in torviscas the last two weeks:dontknow:

9PLUS
03-11-2011, 12:51
I Love the Rain especially in November so its generally getting better...............innit

x

Malteser Monkey
03-11-2011, 12:57
I Love the Rain especially in November so its generally getting better...............innit

x

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain

dear x

emskie
03-11-2011, 13:47
http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/adeje-id38001

have a look at this weather site, it doesn't look too bad to me!

slodgedad
03-11-2011, 13:59
In the car this morning at 10.30 it was 35C. Doesn't seem so bad for November.

Santiago
03-11-2011, 14:13
If you look on the Atlantic weather satellite movie you can see the way the weather moves around in the area between the Caribbean and North West Africa. Watch it over 24 hours and you will see that it normally misses the Canaries altogether. http://www.intellicast.com/Global/Satellite/Infrared.aspx?region=hiatlsat&animate=true

canarybird
03-11-2011, 14:47
We often get the tail end of heavy weather that moves from west to east across the Spanish mainland and Europe as you can see here in images from yesterday (Wednesday Nov. 2).

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-WVz9sM9/0/M/snap0023-M.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-LNSTxp6/0/M/snap0026-M.jpg

We had some rain this morning in Puerto de la Cruz but we sure needed it as we have had only a few drops lately and have had to use the sprinkler on the lawn nearly every day.

As I write this on Thursday at 1:40 pm the temperature in the shade on my outside window is 24.2º and the rain stopped a couple of hours ago. Sun is out and we´re back in sandals and T-shirts. It doesn´t get chilly here during the day until after Christmas and even then, you only need a light jacket or sweater for evenings and some days.

Canarybird

delderek
03-11-2011, 14:52
Sorry to be a misery guts, but the weather has been going downhill for the last 20 years. 7 days with rain per year replaced by at least 40 days per year. Cloudy days maybe 60 now possibly 120.

Malteser Monkey
03-11-2011, 15:02
Sorry to be a misery guts, but the weather has been going downhill for the last 20 years. 7 days with rain per year replaced by at least 40 days per year. Cloudy days maybe 60 now possibly 120.

You're not

I was having this conversation the other day how I remember back in the early 90's when it rained everyone would run outside to feel it and it could rain on one side of the street and not on the other. You have had your fair share of floods in recent years that look pretty shocking.

The Times they are a changing:sorry:

ANYWAY you still have many hundreds of days more sunshine than "we" do !!!!!:sunburn:

TOTO 99
03-11-2011, 15:30
:rain: Sadly, I concur. I've been saying it for the last ten years. Definitely more cloud and rain than there used to be. It won't stop me coming over though. Compared to the UK it's nothing.

Jackie
03-11-2011, 17:59
Stop moaning for god sake ;) I live in the hills and normally we get the bad weather up here, so far we have had two lots of rain, one day the other week when it hammered down and I had to take refuge in a bar while I was out lol, and first thing this morning on my way to work. By the time the bus got to Cabo Blanco it was dry. Yes, the weather in the 'winter' is not a good as it used to be but it is not cold. It is such a lovely reprieve from the heat when we do have a bit of rain.

Ecky Thump
03-11-2011, 18:11
Stop moaning for god sake ;) I live in the hills and normally we get the bad weather up here, so far we have had two lots of rain, one day the other week when it hammered down and I had to take refuge in a bar while I was out lol, and first thing this morning on my way to work. By the time the bus got to Cabo Blanco it was dry. Yes, the weather in the 'winter' is not a good as it used to be but it is not cold. It is such a lovely reprieve from the heat when we do have a bit of rain.

Jackie, its a British way of life, without a good moan they would be miserable!:lol:

Red Devil
03-11-2011, 18:26
Yeah I've been looking all week and it seemed fine, then this morning.....

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Tenerife-/-Sur-Reina-SPXX0210

Must depend what you're looking at. This one seems pretty good to me
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=tenerife+sur#forecast

9PLUS
03-11-2011, 18:27
One Post Wonder

xxx

slodgedad
03-11-2011, 18:56
I've been here since 94 and apart from a couple of exceptionally hot years I haven't noticed any change.

If you come as a visitor and drop on a cool week you always compare it to last time.

I have met a few people in the past month, who are regular visitors, that have said 'Never known it this hot before.'

The two hottest months I have experienced since I've been here were one July( mid 2000s) and one February.(mid 90s)

I's unfortunate if you come for a week and get 3 days rain when it's the only 3 we've had for a couple of months, but that's luck.

Rather try my 'rain luck' here than anywhere else in the world.

We don't get monsoons, hurricanes, earthquakes(yet) or any other extreme weather

marbro8
03-11-2011, 19:01
oh dear, we britts will have to go and find some other unspoilt island somewhere in the tropics and spoil it;):D

karinagal
03-11-2011, 19:19
When I checked the weather forecast before my last visit, it looked like rain every day..... It rained once and it chucked it down. I sat on my terrace reading a book.... It was lovely - the rain brought a lovely fresh feeling to the air and it was all over in a couple of hours. Plus it was still warmer than the uk! So don't panic yet - might only rain during the night (so if you're at a hotel, don't leave your towel on a sunbed overnight..!) :D

Jackie
03-11-2011, 19:59
I've been here since 94 and apart from a couple of exceptionally hot years I haven't noticed any change.

If you come as a visitor and drop on a cool week you always compare it to last time.

I have met a few people in the past month, who are regular visitors, that have said 'Never known it this hot before.'

The two hottest months I have experienced since I've been here were one July( mid 2000s) and one February.(mid 90s)

I's unfortunate if you come for a week and get 3 days rain when it's the only 3 we've had for a couple of months, but that's luck.

Rather try my 'rain luck' here than anywhere else in the world.

We don't get monsoons, hurricanes, earthquakes(yet) or any other extreme weather

We do get the odd Tropical Storm though but they are fantastic to watch as long as you are safe in doors ;)

When I checked the weather forecast before my last visit, it looked like rain every day..... It rained once and it chucked it down. I sat on my terrace reading a book.... It was lovely - the rain brought a lovely fresh feeling to the air and it was all over in a couple of hours. Plus it was still warmer than the uk! So don't panic yet - might only rain during the night (so if you're at a hotel, don't leave your towel on a sunbed overnight..!) :D

That must have been the Saturday I had to take refuge in a Bar. I had just come out of the hairdressers after having my daughter do my hair and it hammered down lol. It always happens, have my hair done it rains, clean the windows it rains, wash the garden down it rains lol. Saw some funny sights that day though of people walking in the rain wearing all sorts from just their swim suits to black bin bags, it was a great day for people watching :)

warbey
03-11-2011, 20:20
Yet another reason for a Fortnight at least.
We had one bad Day in 15 visits. Spent it at Loro Park
Smashing..

West mids tyke
03-11-2011, 20:29
i checked 2 weather sites today and got two totally different opinions, the temps were the same but the weather was different, all in all, if it rains i dont care theres always a bar to take my money and if its sunny theres always a bar to take my money, problem solved lol