PDA

View Full Version : Other Will the volcanic eruption off El Hierro affect Tenerife?

popsybear
06-11-2011, 10:23
Will tenerife be affected by volcano in el hierro??

canarybird
06-11-2011, 11:15
Undersea Surtseyan Eruptions can cause tsunamis.

In a worst case scenario residents of low lying coastal areas of all Canary islands should be prepared in case of a tsunami.

Have food, water and essentials ready to be able to move to higher ground within a period of 20 minutes.

This I heard this morning from a seismologist who is informed of the current situation.

There is no tsunami warning system in Canaries, so we should be informed and prepared for the unexpected.

Canarybird

Jackie
06-11-2011, 13:19
Undersea Surtseyan Eruptions can cause tsunamis.

In a worst case scenario residents of low lying coastal areas of all Canary islands should be prepared in case of a tsunami.

Have food, water and essentials ready to be able to move to higher ground within a period of 20 minutes.

This I heard this morning from a seismologist who is informed of the current situation.

There is no tsunami warning system in Canaries, so we should be informed and prepared for the unexpected.

Canarybird

OK so maybe it's not such a bad idea living up here in the hills ;)

caroletenerife
06-11-2011, 13:54
ooohhh i overlook Porto colon beach, but its about 100ft above sea level so should be ok, if imminent danger arrives i shall head for the safety of the Rum Pot x

tonypub
06-11-2011, 14:02
everybody head for the mountains:hello:

caroletenerife
06-11-2011, 14:23
everybody head for the mountains:hello:
your far enough up the hill...you should have said head to 'The Pub' were showing it live on Sky...opportunity missed there x

Margaretta
06-11-2011, 17:16
It really is an extraordinary event and I wish it were being better documented and even filmed. Generally reports seem to be inadequate. Sorry for those in La Restingua and those who have reason to be afraid.
I am hoping to get a window seat on the right when we next travel to Tenerife. It may be possible to see something of the event if the plane approaches TFS landing strip from South. Must tell the pilot not to tip the plane on its descent; I don't want to face the sky!

doreen
06-11-2011, 18:29
Lots of up to date reports here :)

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

glostergirl
06-11-2011, 21:13
OK so maybe it's not such a bad idea living up here in the hills ;) hAVE U GOT ROOM FOR 3 WITH BED AND BREAKFAST PLEASE JACKIE???

sharpy
06-11-2011, 21:26
Found this link from earth times not sure whether you already have it.
Don't understand why there hasn't been more coverage on the main news.

http://www.earthtimes.org/nature/quick-mapping-underwater-volcano/1565/

9PLUS
06-11-2011, 21:50
I think the likelihood of a Tsunami hitting Tenerife from Restinga which is only some 80 odd miles away is very slim

The creation of a new island or an extension to El Hierro has a greater probability,

Apparently the volcanic Magma channels are totally separate from those of El Hierro so taking that into account whatever happens there shouldn't disturb el Teide

Jackie
06-11-2011, 22:05
hAVE U GOT ROOM FOR 3 WITH BED AND BREAKFAST PLEASE JACKIE???

I certainly do GG, are you cooking breakfast ;)