PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on buying a house in Los Abrigos, Tenerife.

gsc
06-11-2011, 13:30
Hi all

I intend to buy a property if Tenerife South this month and the one that's caught my interest is in Los Abrigos 25 metres from the sea front. It's a typical 'local build' tall and narrow townhouse style with nothing much to recomend it from the front and in dire need of 'tarting up'. It's spread over 3 or 4 floors with views over the sea from the top. It's part of a block of about 10 'houses' fronting 4 streets, some are made to look quite attractive, other somewhat 'dingy'. Streets around are a mix of modern, tatty and half built.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what to look out for in the way of potential pitfalls that would be really useful.

I think I should try and get the equivalent of a structural report - is that possible?

How do you feel about the locality? I've been toying with places with pools that are likely to be quite 'ex-pat' and one or two places in typical local residential blocks, but I must say I am drawn to the Los Abrigos property.

It's a family holiday home so I don't need to rent apart from the odd friend etc. Long term aim is to use it as a base for several holidays a year with a view to moving out permanently when we will probabaly rent it out on a long term let and buy something else.

I'd love to hear your views on Los Abrigos versus other places and also the pros and cons of buying something like this rather than a more typical apartment.

atlantico
06-11-2011, 16:10
Where about is it exactly. los Abrigos is an old village and some property can be illegal. Below is a photo of one on the harbour wall which was demilished a couple of years ago for being illegal. look at google street view to locate the property for us

google map of Los Abrigos here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tenerife+map&hl=en&ll=28.029287,-16.592456&spn=0.004129,0.006856&hnear=Tenerife&gl=uk&sqi=2&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6)

gsc
06-11-2011, 20:03
Well I am using a reputable agent and between him and a decent solicitor I would hope all the legalities will be looked after.

The house is second tier back from the front close to the harbour on the junction of Calle del Cabo and Calle del Caracol. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is new build and what is older. It certainly doesn't have all the trimmings of the holiday home market but that's kind of what appeals to me. And I don't mind slumming it a bit and getting it improved bit by bit. A lot of property around has the look of being built by DIY almost, if you know what I mean. It reminds me a bit of Egypt,Luxor - where outside looks dreadful but inside is often a different picture.

I hope I don't offend anyone with these comments. I actually like things like this - it feels more real. I am trying to learn both Arabic and Spanish - a big mistake doing both as I will be 60 next years and my memory is dreadful. Tenerife is an easy decision to make though with the cheaper flights so I guess the Arabic will fall by the wayside now in favour of Spanish. I might actually be in with a chance if I get to spend some more time there.

Nic
06-11-2011, 21:09
I lived in Los Abrigos for a few years and loved it. It had a typical Spanish feel to it (I lived there 10 years ago), all my neighbours were Canarian and everyone so friendly. If I could find a property that suited us then I would definitely consider moving there again. The Los Abrigos fiesta was the only fiesta I went to every year. I can't sing it's praises highly enough. For friends that want to use your house then there is everything they would need on their doorstep. Restaurants, bars, shops, chemist and the local bus service is well serviced down there. Even with the airport being so close there was never any bother with aircraft noise. Some of the apartments down there are quite shabby, I know what you mean, but it's what's inside that counts, never judge a book by it's cover and all that. You can ask for a structural survey to be carried out, your estate agent or lawyer could arrange it for you. I'm quite sure if you have a lawyer dealing with the paperwork for you then they will make sure everything is legal for you. I'm quite sure that you will be very happy with a property in Los Abrigos. Good luck with your decision!

atlantico
06-11-2011, 22:35
this one ?

gsc
06-11-2011, 22:36
Thanks Nic - very good to know.

Should be in Tenerife mid afternoon tomorrow and hopefully it will be a good weeks viewings.

atlantico - the one next to it - as far as I know.:D

karinagal
06-11-2011, 23:46
Thanks Nic - very good to know.

Should be in Tenerife mid afternoon tomorrow and hopefully it will be a good weeks viewings.

atlantico - the one next to it - as far as I know.:D

The very best of luck to you - I hope it goes well and meets all your expectations. It's an exciting time viewing properties, even more so when you find the right one. Have a safe and productive trip! :D

jas
07-11-2011, 03:44
love los abrigos - in fact when i was looking to buy, my initial thoughts were between los abrigos and playa san juan, both still retaining some antiquated canarian charm, very local to the airport, el medano, and las chafiras just up the road has virtually everything, i wish you every success but would advise against buying an unregistered property

gsc
07-11-2011, 04:17
Thanks Jas - I will take care.

gsc
11-11-2011, 10:34
Yahooooo - I did it. All signed, completion on or before 15th Jan.

karinagal
11-11-2011, 10:45
Well done!! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it! :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

obs
11-11-2011, 10:58
Congrats gsc, hope that all continues to go smoothly for you. :goodluck: