PDA

View Full Version : Are people predisposed to clumsiness?

Tom & Sharon
08-06-2011, 00:10
Some years ago Sharon had a fall from the top to the bottom of the stairs in our old house in the UK.
She broke a wrist and fell face first on a glass she was carrying scarring her top lip,its OK now as her moustache covers the scar :whistle:
She was sober!!

Last year on a trip to Barcelona she fell whilst standing at a bus stop in Plaza De Catalunya,twisting an ankle.
She was sober

In January she fell whilst going to a shop in Chafiras,damaging ankle ligaments
She was sober
(Andy 0210,do you need your crutches back?)

In the same month she fell outside Pinehurst bar,bruising her knees
She was sober :whistle:

Last weekend she fell entering the hotel pool in Plymouth where we were staying,breaking a little toe on her right foot
She was sober

Last night she fell in Chiccetti's restaurant in Manchester,conveniently lobbing a full glass of wine over a German female diner
She was absolutely blathered :drinking:

Surely someone cannot naturally be so clumsy,i'm thinking of starting a Facebook page in her honour,I was going to call it Clumsy ***t.com

Tom ;)

AL JAY
08-06-2011, 00:15
Sounds as though she has fell for you in a big way Tom...:love:

Andy0210
08-06-2011, 00:37
(Andy 0210,do you need your crutches back?)

Sounds like you (or should that be Sharon) needs them more than me, you can keep them i have another pair should the need arise.

Just a thought, perhaps you could persuade her to take precautions, she could wear a rubber ring round her waist so should be fall again she wont injure herself, in effect becoming a human dodgem.

Something along these lines.... ;)

CIM
08-06-2011, 00:37
I am very clumsy - as my other half takes great delight in pointing out...
Always have been, you dont realise it until you live with someone and they point out all the things you have knocked over/damaged/trod on/soaked/smashed/painted by accident/tightened too much/cuddled too hard/forgotten the birthday of....

slodgedad
08-06-2011, 00:46
Guardia Civil Trafico can tell you how clumsy her right foot can be...:driving::driving:

timmylish
08-06-2011, 00:52
I can well see the funny side but, since its not an everyday occurence, would it not be advisable for her to have a brain scan. This falling cannot be normal. Eye tests as well, just to be on the safe side.
And, please for those who might want to take the .iss out of my post, remember there are at least three of us on this very Forum who have been victims of a stroke!

slodgedad
08-06-2011, 01:04
I know my first post in this thread referred to driving but,,,,,shhhhhhhhhhh Tom told me that Sharon finally passed her test on the back seat.

Keep it to yourself

Andy0210
08-06-2011, 01:19
I know my first post in this thread referred to driving but,,,,,shhhhhhhhhhh Tom told me that Sharon finally passed her test on the back seat.

Keep it to yourself

Keep it clean please this is a family forum! ;)

wen53
08-06-2011, 01:31
Last year on a trip to Barcelona she fell whilst standing at a bus stop in Plaza De Catalunya,twisting an ankle.
She was sober

Tom ;)

How can you fall whilst standing?
Mind you, I have a friend who would be able to do that. She falls a lot but doesn't put her hands down!

Jackie
08-06-2011, 07:35
The first thing Sharon needs to learn is how to save the glass of wine when falling ;)

reggie
08-06-2011, 08:00
My Janet has a broken wrist at the moment, puting the washing on the spinning clothes dryer, turns it round a bit, leans back, loses her balance, falls over backwards, crashes over a plan pot thats been there 20 years, Yeh clumsy cow,

with cheese
08-06-2011, 08:04
Nothing to do with the fact you work her too hard Reggie, you told me she did it mucking out the Donkey's.
Broke me leg twice and nose 5 times, still ugly though.

reggie
08-06-2011, 08:09
Nothing to do with the fact you work her too hard Reggie, you told me she did it mucking out the Donkey's.
Broke me leg twice and nose 5 times, still ugly though.

I dont want to tempt fate, but ive never broke anything, trained athlete you see, part time stuntman also, you have to know how to fall, nimble on mi feet too, and talk a load of sh-te, ha ha

with cheese
08-06-2011, 08:33
I dont want to tempt fate, but ive never broke anything, trained athlete you see, part time stuntman also, you have to know how to fall, nimble on mi feet too, and talk a load of sh-te, ha ha

Blox its just coz the ground is really close for you Shortie.

tizzywizzy
08-06-2011, 09:34
I do fall and lose my balance sometimes and i am always sober. I did knock myself out once and it was on my first night in Tenerife a couple of years ago. I had a black eye and a huge bump on my forehead and a cut nose. I had fallen on the door handle. I had to wear huge dark glasses for the whole holiday. That was the only time i did something though drink.
Sharon you do seem to have more accidents then most of us. Tom needs to take more care of you.

Bazz
08-06-2011, 09:43
She must be my twin as it sounds like me, although some may say it has something to do with footwear! :spin::eek:

Brian
08-06-2011, 09:43
There is nothing wrong with falling, its landing when the problems begin.

Tom & Sharon
08-06-2011, 10:22
This is Sharon now.

I wasn't standing at the bus stop, I was walking to the stop and went over on my ankle (again). Thanks for your concern Timmy, but when I fall, it's never because I go dizzy or anything - that's the first thing they ask you in hospital - it's because I trip over things or slip on something.

The trouble is, the more times I do it, the weaker my ankle gets. Tom has now banned me from wearing heels which I think is a good idea. I do think my balance isn't brilliant any more, which comes from my ears I think. About 3 years ago I had an ear infection which got a serious grip on me and I ended up in hospital with it. The antibiotics didn't work, and it was eating my ear drum away, and the ENT surgeon had to sort it out. This is because I swim all the time, and the hospital made me special ear moulds which I have to wear when I'm swimming. It still flares back up though, and I can actually feel it this morning.

This coupled with the fact that my ligaments are now knackered in my ankle, means that if the floor is a little bit uneven or slippy, I'm gone! Red wine certainly doesn't help either!

Tom doesn't have much sympathy, just says I should be more careful. Just looking at a pair of really high heels now fills me with dread. I am in Manchester now, but am coming back to Tenerife next week to live in my flip-flops for ever.

tizzywizzy
08-06-2011, 11:02
This is Sharon now.

I wasn't standing at the bus stop, I was walking to the stop and went over on my ankle (again). Thanks for your concern Timmy, but when I fall, it's never because I go dizzy or anything - that's the first thing they ask you in hospital - it's because I trip over things or slip on something.

The trouble is, the more times I do it, the weaker my ankle gets. Tom has now banned me from wearing heels which I think is a good idea. I do think my balance isn't brilliant any more, which comes from my ears I think. About 3 years ago I had an ear infection which got a serious grip on me and I ended up in hospital with it. The antibiotics didn't work, and it was eating my ear drum away, and the ENT surgeon had to sort it out. This is because I swim all the time, and the hospital made me special ear moulds which I have to wear when I'm swimming. It still flares back up though, and I can actually feel it this morning.

This coupled with the fact that my ligaments are now knackered in my ankle, means that if the floor is a little bit uneven or slippy, I'm gone! Red wine certainly doesn't help either!

Tom doesn't have much sympathy, just says I should be more careful. Just looking at a pair of really high heels now fills me with dread. I am in Manchester now, but am coming back to Tenerife next week to live in my flip-flops for ever.

I trip up even in flip flops. I know what you mean Sharon,my ankle gives way as well..

tracey
08-06-2011, 11:35
I am so clumsy. I am always covered in bruises and cuts. I have scars from falling off bikes, buses etc. Love falling down stairs and braking ribs too lol:crazy:

Added after 3 minutes:

[/B]

I trip up even in flip flops. I know what you mean Sharon,my ankle gives way as well..

I nearly broke my neck by standing on one flip flop and trying to walk!

reggie
08-06-2011, 12:12
Blox its just coz the ground is really close for you Shortie.

Is 5ft 7" short ? I'm the tallest in my family, both my sons are 6ft + wots that all about,

onelegnofeet
08-06-2011, 13:21
AAHH! LUXURY ........................being able to trip over your own feet !!!:hail::hail:

chris
08-06-2011, 13:30
AAHH! LUXURY ........................being able to trip over your own feet !!!:hail::hail:

AAHH lUXURY...........To see my feet:pray::pray:

CMEdinburgh
08-06-2011, 13:58
One thing comes to mind, and that is a statistic I read a while ago.

41% of people are caused by accident ....

cainaries
08-06-2011, 15:42
Sharon ... you don't wear varifocals, do you? These make going up and down steps and stairs very tricky as the edge which I see through my glasses somehow isn't where the edge actually is. As for reversing the car .... well ..... the car has the bumps and bruises, poor thing.

Have you checked to see if you are dispraxic? Even if you find you are you can't do anything at all about it except that you've now got a syndrome instead of just being plain clumsy.

bonitatime
08-06-2011, 17:16
I am very clumsy - as my other half takes great delight in pointing out...
Always have been, you dont realise it until you live with someone and they point out all the things you have knocked over/damaged/trod on/soaked/smashed/painted by accident/tightened too much/cuddled too hard/forgotten the birthday of....

Commenting on things is obviously a female trait as my other half whines about me just like you whine about your wife.

I am actally very clumsy but fall well which compensates. Have only ever broken one toe.

with cheese
08-06-2011, 17:42
Is 5ft 7" short ? I'm the tallest in my family, both my sons are 6ft + wots that all about,

I would get a DNA test done mate, you might be able to get some money back. lol

reggie
08-06-2011, 17:55
I would get a DNA test done mate, you might be able to get some money back. lol

Hey, do you think ?, Is it coz i is white, :crylaughing:

with cheese
08-06-2011, 18:01
I is white too bwana

howard thornton
08-06-2011, 19:04

maybe somebody had it in for you reggie.

warbey
08-06-2011, 19:11
I agree with Timmy. I dont want to be alarmist but it would make sense to get checked out.

People are as They are with many clumsy, off-balance or knocking things over or off the Table.
Tripping can be caused by Failing TO SEE obstacles Others would.

Falls arent funny, neither is Pain or Embarrassment
A Personal M.O.T. might help stop it..?? Who knows...

reggie
08-06-2011, 19:35
maybe somebody had it in for you reggie.

Maybe somebody had it in for my mother, like a bl--dy dwarfe,

Su1
08-06-2011, 21:28
On a serious note....Actually some people are 'born' clumsy its called 'developmental dyspraxia'. Sometimes referred to as ‘clumsy child’ syndrome, developmental dyspraxia is an impairment of the organisation of movement, leading to problems with co-ordination and coping with simple tasks many of us take for granted.
Frequently falling over, difficulty walking up and down stairs, poor at dressing, no spatial awareness, inability to remember more than two or three instructions at once, barely legible handwriting, problems forming relationships and prone to bullying – these can be familiar symptoms for children with dyspraxia.
Unfortunately developmental dyspraxia often goes undiagnosed and it is quite prevanlant in schools and on into adulthood.

Tom & Sharon
08-06-2011, 21:32
On a serious note....Actually some people are 'born' clumsy its called 'developmental dyspraxia'. Sometimes referred to as ‘clumsy child’ syndrome, developmental dyspraxia is an impairment of the organisation of movement, leading to problems with co-ordination and coping with simple tasks many of us take for granted.
Frequently falling over, difficulty walking up and down stairs, poor at dressing, no spatial awareness, inability to remember more than two or three instructions at once, barely legible handwriting, problems forming relationships and prone to bullying – these can be familiar symptoms for children with dyspraxia.
Unfortunately developmental dyspraxia often goes undiagnosed and it is quite prevanlant in schools and on into adulthood.

I've definitely not go dyspraxia, but I can't park the car!

Su1
08-06-2011, 21:40
You may have some 'traits of.................' Isn't car parking a woman thing??? Can say that cos I'm a woman!! Mind you I do know a man who is useless at parking but then again I have heard him called an 'old woman! (:lol:)

Harmonicaman
08-06-2011, 21:42
I've definitely not go dyspraxia, but I can't park the car!

Ooooh! Missing out "Ts" on words...sure sign of dyspraxia!:eyebrows:

Tom & Sharon
08-06-2011, 21:45

LOL HM! I've got new nails on!

with cheese
08-06-2011, 21:47
LOL HM! I've got new nails on!
Old nails need replacing, sure sign.

cainaries
08-06-2011, 23:42
Thought of this thread this afternoon as sat down in the waiting room in the Health Centre (nb!) and banged my head really hard on a large box nailed to the wall behind the chair which I had not noticed when I sat down. It contained the emergency fire hose. Lots of very kind people clucked around me (other patients only I might add) and after discussion we all got together to move the bench I'd sat down on. Another lady told me she had just banged her head on it ... which made me feel a little bit better.

I'm sure if dyspraxia had existed when I was at school I would have been diagnosed with it but it didn't so I just got a lot of grief from the teachers, in particular about my clumsiness and my handwriting. Sob sob.

onelegnofeet
09-06-2011, 10:27
Thought of this thread this afternoon as sat down in the waiting room in the Health Centre (nb!) and banged my head really hard on a large box nailed to the wall behind the chair which I had not noticed when I sat down. It contained the emergency fire hose. Lots of very kind people clucked around me (other patients only I might add) and after discussion we all got together to move the bench I'd sat down on. Another lady told me she had just banged her head on it ... which made me feel a little bit better.

I'm sure if dyspraxia had existed when I was at school I would have been diagnosed with it but it didn't so I just got a lot of grief from the teachers, in particular about my clumsiness and my handwriting. Sob sob.

Was it a SUGGESTIONS BOX ????.......................move this ******* box ,now !!!!

A sign of Madness is hairs growing in the palm of your hand .......................................the second sign is looking for them !!! go on who looked ?

Su1
09-06-2011, 11:18

That's a trait of dyslexia!!!