PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Postal Service ( Correos )

kellyman
07-11-2011, 17:35
Does anyone else have the problems I have with the post.
Usually we receive our post at least a month late. Often we do not receive it at all. On two occasions recently we have received letters from companies we deal with saying that our mail has been returned marked ´Gone Away´. I have complained to the man in the post office in El Medano, to be met with a shrug and no explanation. Are we doomed to receive post at the whim of the Spanish Post Office.

Suej
07-11-2011, 17:51
In the main people I know seem to be satisfied with their postal deliveries...unfortunately we are not that lucky! we often do not receive mail from the UK we got a Christmas card for last year this Easter! and I found one of my UK bank statements on the pavement once (I have now cancelled paper statements and get them online) Our problem here is there are 2 phases 1 and 2 so the numbers repeat themselves. I have tried complaining but was told that we had a different postman/woman who was to blame as he/she was not familiar with the area and names of complexes! did that give them the right to throw letters on the pavement? Hmmmm! :dontknow:

Jackie
07-11-2011, 18:34
In the almost five years I have lived here I have only ever had two things not delivered. One was an Anniversary card from the UK and the other was an Electric bill. On the whole I am quite pleased with the postal service here. Parcels from the UK take between 2 and 4 days, the same as letters. The only problem I have is with our post lady, she never rings the bell properly when things need signing for so it ends up with us having to take a trip to San Miguel post office with the card she leaves in the post box to retrieve whatever it was she was trying to deliver:mad:

MrsTT
07-11-2011, 19:13
We also have very good reports to make about the delivery service in Callao Salvaje. We had initial hiccups as the new buildings were completed in the village, and as far as we know the mail gets through to our private address although we have most of the UK deliveries sent to Witzend. My sister has posted over 500 parcel and packets in 6 years and I now get deliveries from several major stores. I recently lost a couple of chill pillows I got in the Debenhams sale but they refunded my money, and the pillow cases made it!!

You often get delays around the post people's main holiday as they don´t seem to employ covering staff, and around the fiestas can be tricky. December 6th - 8th is a nightmare for postal deliveries, but the post person, having worked out we were the same people, rang the flat with a parcel addressed to the shop last Boxing Day as it was one day the shop was closed and they were working!!

cainaries
07-11-2011, 20:27
As regular readers know, we live in Hillbilly country (La Palma). We are now good friends with our postman and he brings us whatever post has been delivered to the local post office (including other people's post but that's another story - all foreigners together, etc.). So we're pretty sure that the delays are not in our local post office. But I agree that it has got MUCH worse over the past 2-3 months so can only assume that there has been a cut back somewhere in the system. We have a weekly magazine which now arrives fortnightly and a month late which has almost defeated the object of reading it since it's political and topical. The local story is that even letters we post to one another here 'have' to go via Tenerife and that Tenerife takes 3 weeks to send them back again. Who knows!

bonitatime
07-11-2011, 22:57
We had problems with post being stolen from our box and consequently aquired a post office box. Have never since had a letter ir package not turn up.

timmylish
08-11-2011, 01:26
I,m with Mrs.TT.
In over 21 years of living here I,ve not had anyproblems to speak of. Fiesta,s (not the car!) ecpeted. As in all public places the Correos Office will have a Claim Form available for you to complete if you don,t get this sorted quickly!
Good luck.

julia44
08-11-2011, 05:20
The post is good here in Chio an example my dad posted a little package from the UK on a saturday and I got it on the monday amazing, last time I had something to sign for I was not in but the postman saw me at the bus stop and he stopped and I signed for it there

9PLUS
08-11-2011, 07:35
Check your address

If you're still having problems because you are in a remote area then you could rent one of the secure boxes inside the Correos (maybe your only solution)

€50 approx per year

Gfplux
08-11-2011, 23:46
Kellyman, do you know your postman, does he know you?
As already suggested, make sure you get to know your postman. Making him/her your friend never hurts.

kellyman
09-11-2011, 16:18
Thanks for relating all your various experiences of the postal service. I am quite friendly with our postman. He sometimes throws our post over the wall of our terrace, if he knows we are in. The trouble is they seem to switch quite often. I don´t think it is theft of the mail because the post is usually deep in the box.