PDA

View Full Version : Other Ridiculously high Ryanair last minute prices!

ally9997
08-11-2011, 16:25
Hi Guys,

Went to airport yesterday checking last minute flights to glasgow for today for my husband and daughter, OMG 300 odd euros each they wanted for today and that was one way, the lady at the desk said there was 25 seats available so why so high? i use this service regular as my daughter has a brace in and needs it changing etc ....

just wondered if there was a holiday back home to justify these high prices.

Well finally got them on a jet.com for 100 euro each still more than i normally pay but cheaper than Ryanair

Maybe a small price for a few days of peace n quiet!!

moan over

Ally xx

Tom & Sharon
08-11-2011, 17:56
Showing as £101 for tomorrow and £84 for Friday on the internet.

Thomson on Sunday £57.

Maybe they quote more at the airport?

ally9997
08-11-2011, 19:37
it had to be yesterday they went today at the latest but j.com got our business this time....

caroletenerife
08-11-2011, 20:02
Ryanair is PURE business,so if you turn up at the airport, they will hold you to randsom, probably why he makes so much money.

ally9997
08-11-2011, 21:23
Exactly the lady at the desk was shocked at the price on the day also, especially when she said there was 25 seats empty.... They have some good prices for december maybe book early this time and save a fortune for my next trip back...

Dan747
10-11-2011, 23:02
This is called yield management and is how low-cost airlines work, the cheap tickets are sold well in advance and then prices rise the closer to departure you get, if you wait until the day of the flight the fare will be very expensive, this is basically because if somebody turns up to the airport for a ticket on the day, generally they will have to go on that day so will pay whatever it is, this is simply how airlines make money as if they charged everybody £50 one-way to Tenerife from the UK they would be bankrupt within 12 months.

Jackie
11-11-2011, 07:54
Ryanair really is not the cheapest airline, bucket yes, cheapest no. Only on the very odd occasion do any of my family use them when travelling back and forth to Tenerife. Monarch and Flythomson always seem to have much cheaper flights when we need them, especially from Gatwick or any of the London airports.

They are even charging 6 pounds per person online booking fee for each leg of the journey unless you use a Ryanair pre paid card WTF!!!!

dotty1
11-11-2011, 09:01
Yes I bought a ticket 1 way ticket to Manchester for april 2012 last night 39.95 euros, so quite happy with that, never been with ryanair before so will give it a go for that price

fonica
11-11-2011, 09:56
We don't complain when we go to Bristol and back for 65€ and Ryanair are not likely to get rich on those prices.Like all businesses they have to make money when they can and if they only have a few seats left on their plane, on a day when they have the only flight leaving Tenerife to a particular destination, then they can charge accordingly.Suppy and demand and of course free choice.You don't have to buy from them.Ryanair have given the island a new lease of life with their great offers and wide choice of destinations especially for us locals.We should be thanking them not moaning.I have never had a bad flight with them and their planes are much more comfortable than Monarch offers. Happy flying!

Angusjim
11-11-2011, 10:00
We don't complain when we go to Bristol and back for 65€ and Ryanair are not likely to get rich on those prices.Like all businesses they have to make money when they can and if they only have a few seats left on their plane, on a day when they have the only flight leaving Tenerife to a particular destination, then they can charge accordingly.Suppy and demand and of course free choice.You don't have to buy from them.Ryanair have given the island a new lease of life with their great offers and wide choice of destinations especially for us locals.We should be thanking them not moaning.I have never had a bad flight with them and their planes are much more comfortable than Monarch offers. Happy flying!

At last we agree about something:mexicanwave::agree:

fonica
11-11-2011, 10:02
It was bound to happen eventually,have a good day.

pearlandfrank
15-12-2011, 22:12
Stolen from another forum

Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair arrives at a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro please, Mr. O’Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland"

"That is remarkable value" Michael comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be 3 euro please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euro. -

You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please"

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4.00 for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be 2 euro please."

O'Leary's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary,"

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10p per second"

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro

9PLUS
15-12-2011, 23:10
Hi Guys,

Went to airport yesterday checking last minute flights to glasgow for today for my husband and daughter, OMG 300 odd euros each they wanted for today and that was one way, the lady at the desk said there was 25 seats available so why so high? i use this service regular as my daughter has a brace in and needs it changing etc ....

just wondered if there was a holiday back home to justify these high prices.

Well finally got them on a jet.com for 100 euro each still more than i normally pay but cheaper than Ryanair

Maybe a small price for a few days of peace n quiet!!

moan over

Ally xx

I'm not bloody surprised they were charging you that after last years incident........................................wo man

x

kieraj
15-12-2011, 23:57
Stolen from another forum

Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair arrives at a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro please, Mr. O’Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland"

"That is remarkable value" Michael comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be 3 euro please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euro. -

You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please"

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4.00 for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be 2 euro please."

O'Leary's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary,"

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10p per second"

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro that is so funny and very true.

princessmonika
16-12-2011, 06:43
brill =:crylaughing: ha ha ha had a good giggle

jas
16-12-2011, 22:17
funny yes but not too far from the truth. i need to go back to the uk at the beginning of feb next year, am reasonably flexible with dates and duration of stay but am completely baffled after investigating on the internet - the prices that appear the cheapest after surcharges are the most expensive

Anyone reccommend a good travel agent before i sink or give up completely

Jackie
16-12-2011, 22:31
Try searching on Skyscanners, they will show you the best prices for flights for a whole month at a time so if you are flexible with dates you can pick the cheapest flights. There is no way Ryanair are the cheapest, Monarch or Thomson always beat them hands down for prices when we are looking

beerfan
16-12-2011, 22:40
Try searching on Skyscanners, they will show you the best prices for flights for a whole month at a time so if you are flexible with dates you can pick the cheapest flights. There is no way Ryanair are the cheapest, Monarch or Thomson always beat them hands down for prices when we are looking

7-14 Feb using Jet2 and easyJet from Manchester: £117 pp before luggage and other bobbins.

Jackie
16-12-2011, 22:49
7-14 Feb using Jet2 and easyJet from Manchester: £117 pp before luggage and other bobbins.

Theres a Ryanair one on 5 Feb - 15 Feb including 15 kilos luggage works out 97.83 return

beerfan
16-12-2011, 22:50
Theres a Ryanair one on 5 Feb - 15 Feb including 15 kilos luggage works out 97.83 return

Yup - I was trying to avoid the O'Learyair ones though.

Jackie
16-12-2011, 22:52
Yup - I was trying to avoid the O'Learyair ones though.

I know what you mean, fortunately for us going to/from Gatwick, Ryanair normally work out more expensive so they are very easy to avoid ;)