PDA

View Full Version : Football FIFA Poppy Ban - England should pull out.

cainaries
08-11-2011, 20:37
Should England refuse to play if they are not allowed to honour War dead? Or should politics never intrude into sport?

Nightmare - typo in heading ... mod please jump in fast to correct it, thanks!

Thanks, Slodgie!

YOUNG GOLFER
08-11-2011, 20:45
I think people should be able to wear their poppy with pride anywhere be it work or play.
Anyone says anything different tell them to stick it up their:bootyshake:

Alot of mums dads grandads grandmothers gave their lives for their country and we should all be able to show our respects to them by wearing it with pride and also raising much needed funds along the way.:)

warbey
08-11-2011, 20:49
Is it fair comment to wonder why poppy Day itself shouldnt be banned
Think of who it COULD upset.
Anything is possible these Days!

Added after 3 minutes:

I think people should be able to wear their poppy with pride anywhere be it work or play.
Anyone says anything different tell them to stick it up their:bootyshake:

Alot of mums dads grandads grandmothers gave their lives for their country and we should all be able to show our respects to them by wearing it with pride and also raising much needed funds along the way.:)

:agree:........................

LeFrunk
08-11-2011, 21:28
A very touchey subject here in N Ireland , each to their own i say , but politics has interfered in sport many times , Moscow olympics were interupted in the 80s as the USSR where in Afghanastan and the west didnt like it so they boycotted the games , one of many i think .

caroletenerife
08-11-2011, 21:42
i used to work for a restaurant owned by muslims, all the staff put on poppies and the owner said to take them off as it was 'offensive to his brothers'. I pointed out that it was a garrison town and if he did this , the restaurant would be boycotted and closed within a month..needless to say his business head overtook any other considerations and the staff were allowed to wear a poppy. On the England issue, the poppy is a sign of rememberance, if others choose to see it as something else, thats their problem. All football clubs around the world wore black armbands and had silences to remember the 9/11 victims, that attack was politically motivated

imablue
08-11-2011, 21:44
how about this ............
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/england-to-play-dressed-as-stormtroopers-201111074512/

cainaries
08-11-2011, 22:01
how about this ............
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/england-to-play-dressed-as-stormtroopers-201111074512/

That might be right - that Sepp Blatter can't work out how to get a cut of the take!

i used to work for a restaurant owned by muslims, all the staff put on poppies and the owner said to take them off as it was 'offensive to his brothers'. I pointed out that it was a garrison town and if he did this , the restaurant would be boycotted and closed within a month..needless to say his business head overtook any other considerations and the staff were allowed to wear a poppy. On the England issue, the poppy is a sign of rememberance, if others choose to see it as something else, thats their problem. All football clubs around the world wore black armbands and had silences to remember the 9/11 victims, that attack was politically motivated

Absolutely agree with you caroletenerife.

stevem
09-11-2011, 10:00
We should quite catergorically refuse to play, or even attend. I find it offensive that my team will not be wearing poppies on their shirts. Stuff political correctness. We are England! We'll wear what we want! :)

In all seriousness though, is this not an infringement on freedom of speech? Never mind politics. Who are FIFA to tell us we cannot remember our war dead? The world is getting more crazy by the day!

timmylish
09-11-2011, 14:10
What I found interesting that no-one has seen fit to mention that the Scotland Team are unhapy at not being allowed to wear Poppies on their Trackies, this week-end. FIFA,s answer that in the future England and Germany may be playing to-gether at the same time of the year, and that Germany would take offense. My answer is simple. WHY? Why would Germany take offence. Its not England,s fault that the Nazi State was defeated and all semblance to their uniforms, flags and other artifacts are banned nearly everywhere in Western society, incl. France and Switzerland (although somewhat reluctantly). When someone starts to refer to Blatter as a Hun then he, FIFA or UEFA should not be surprised! Me, I,m not too bothered one way or another since we have our own individual views on how best to remember the history of the UK and the Allied countries.

stevem
09-11-2011, 14:28
Not sure about the Ruskie bit though ;)

cainaries
09-11-2011, 16:46
What I found interesting that no-one has seen fit to mention that the Scotland Team are unhapy at not being allowed to wear Poppies on their Trackies, this week-end. FIFA,s answer that in the future England and Germany may be playing to-gether at the same time of the year, and that Germany would take offense. My answer is simple. WHY? Why would Germany take offence. Its not England,s fault that the Nazi State was defeated and all semblance to their uniforms, flags and other artifacts are banned nearly everywhere in Western society, incl. France and Switzerland (although somewhat reluctantly). When someone starts to refer to Blatter as a Hun then he, FIFA or UEFA should not be surprised! Me, I,m not too bothered one way or another since we have our own individual views on how best to remember the history of the UK and the Allied countries.

I only found out the Welsh and Scottish teams were also banned from wearing them after I started the thread so many apologies for missing them out. I happened to see an interview with a German expert talking about the euro on Sky the other night and he was wearing a poppy! A red one, too! I was very impressed. So the Germans, it seems, wouldn't all be offended by them.

cheery
09-11-2011, 19:10
Just been announced that England will wear poppies on a black armband. Quite right too!

Ed3229
09-11-2011, 19:39
But the Germans have a remembrance day......They lost people too....the worlds gone correctness crazy.

The German national day of mourning is the secular public holiday of Volkstrauertag,[23] which since 1952 has been observed two Sundays before the first Sunday of Advent; in practice this is the Sunday closest to the 16 November. The anniversary of the Armistice itself is not observed in Germany.

Each of the major German churches has its own festivals for commemorating the dead, observed in November: All Souls Day in the case of the Roman Catholic Church, Ewigkeitssonntag, or "Eternity Sunday" in the case of the Lutheran church.

caroletenerife
09-11-2011, 19:43
FIFA has relented, i dont think they realised the backlash, and the intervention of Prince William, he is his mothers son x

CaribeCelt
09-11-2011, 20:21
I only found out the Welsh and Scottish teams were also banned from wearing them after I started the thread so many apologies for missing them out. I happened to see an interview with a German expert talking about the euro on Sky the other night and he was wearing a poppy! A red one, too! I was very impressed. So the Germans, it seems, wouldn't all be offended by them.

The German expert is made to wear it if he appears on British T.V and he probably was told he had to wear it,the Germans have their own rememberance day.
I think England should be allowed to wear it...but people should be able to refuse to wear it without their being a witch-hunt against them.
I Would like to see teams wearing a white poppy which remembers ALL victims of war.

cainaries
09-11-2011, 20:28
The German expert is made to wear it if he appears on British T.V and he probably was told he had to wear it,the Germans have their own rememberance day.
I think England should be allowed to wear it...but people should be able to refuse to wear it without their being a witch-hunt against them.
I Would like to see teams wearing a white poppy which remembers ALL victims of war.

You might be right that when he turned up at the Sky studio, they just stuck a poppy in his buttonhole. I was surprised it was a red one - I would have thought he would have chosen a white one in the circumstances. Anyhow glad FIFA has relented - it's the power of the Tenerife Forum wot dunnit.

warbey
09-11-2011, 20:38
And there was I, thinking that as Poppies of the Red kind grew over the Battlefields,
the Emblem was in memory of ALL who fell.

Silly really, those who decide on a War rarely have to go out and Fight it.!

imablue
09-11-2011, 20:54
Yes... Warbey correct....
the battlefields of Flanders denote the red poppy
i would prefer the Blue poppy to a red one if it was available and you will know why ....
out of respect to all the Fallen i duly wear a Red Poppy ....
i,ll just add this ..and so it should be ....
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pm-fifa-ban-wembley-poppies-absurd-110108324.html

CaribeCelt
09-11-2011, 21:50
And there was I, thinking that as Poppies of the Red kind grew over the Battlefields,
the Emblem was in memory of ALL who fell.

Silly really, those who decide on a War rarely have to go out and Fight it.!

Yes the fields of Flanders were covered with Red Poppies...but the Royal British Legion poppy is an exclusive object which just remembers British and Commonwealth servicemen and servicewoman.

marbro8
09-11-2011, 22:12
the Scottish team can not even have the 2 min silence in Cyprus:mad:

slodgedad
09-11-2011, 22:18
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pm-fifa-ban-wembley-poppies-absurd-110108324.html

Well done, William...:tiphat:

cainaries
09-11-2011, 22:22
Well done, William...:tiphat:

And a very courteous response from the Germans, I thought!

marbro8
09-11-2011, 22:30
i think fifa are a joke and in my eyes have lost all credibility so just move over and let someone with a bit of sense take over:mad:

imablue
09-11-2011, 22:52
with due respect Caribecelt ......
The poppy has a long association with Remembrance Day. But how did the distinctive red flower become such a potent symbol of our remembrance of the sacrifices made in past wars?

Scarlet corn poppies (popaver rhoeas) grow naturally in conditions of disturbed earth throughout Western Europe. The destruction brought by the Napoleonic wars of the early 19th Century transformed bare land into fields of blood red poppies, growing around the bodies of the fallen soldiers.

In late 1914, the fields of Northern France and Flanders were once again ripped open as World War One raged through Europe's heart. Once the conflict was over the poppy was one of the only plants to grow on the otherwise barren battlefields.

The SIGNIFICANCE of the poppy as a lasting memorial symbol to the fallen was realised by the CANADIAN surgeon John McCrae in his poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy came to represent the immeasurable sacrifice made by HIS comrades and quickly became a lasting memorial to those who died in World War One and later conflicts.

It was adopted by The Royal British Legion as the symbol for their Poppy Appeal, in aid of those serving in the British Armed Forces, after its formation in 1921.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CaribeCelt
09-11-2011, 23:31
with due respect Caribecelt ......
The poppy has a long association with Remembrance Day. But how did the distinctive red flower become such a potent symbol of our remembrance of the sacrifices made in past wars?

Scarlet corn poppies (popaver rhoeas) grow naturally in conditions of disturbed earth throughout Western Europe. The destruction brought by the Napoleonic wars of the early 19th Century transformed bare land into fields of blood red poppies, growing around the bodies of the fallen soldiers.

In late 1914, the fields of Northern France and Flanders were once again ripped open as World War One raged through Europe's heart. Once the conflict was over the poppy was one of the only plants to grow on the otherwise barren battlefields.

The SIGNIFICANCE of the poppy as a lasting memorial symbol to the fallen was realised by the CANADIAN surgeon John McCrae in his poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy came to represent the immeasurable sacrifice made by HIS comrades and quickly became a lasting memorial to those who died in World War One and later conflicts.

It was adopted by The Royal British Legion as the symbol for their Poppy Appeal, in aid of those serving in the British Armed Forces, after its formation in 1921.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all due respect imablue your last sentence sums it up..."It was adopted by The British Royal Legion, in aid of those serving in the British Armed Forces from 1921"
Do you expect the people of Ireland,India,Mayala and countless other countries to honour the armed forces of a country who oppressed them?
England has a right to remember their war dead but you should not expect people who were oppressed by these very soldiers to honour and remember them.
In my opinion a white poppy should worn by all to remember ALL.

YOUNG GOLFER
10-11-2011, 01:28
With all due respect imablue your last sentence sums it up..."It was adopted by The British Royal Legion, in aid of those serving in the British Armed Forces from 1921"
Do you expect the people of Ireland,India,Mayala and countless other countries to honour the armed forces of a country who oppressed them?
England has a right to remember their war dead but you should not expect people who were oppressed by these very soldiers to honour and remember them.

Think it's fair to say people who wear the poppy don't expect anyone other than themselves to honour the reason why they wear one.I have one because i want one...... it's my choice i don't do it for the fear of someone else not liking it.

stevem
10-11-2011, 07:21

Point taken. But, I, and I would imagine most people. Now remember ALL our war dead when wearing my poppy. Be they English, Irish or Welsh, Indian, Malayian or wherever else. Yes, we must remember lessons learnt etc etc. But these days, I'd like to think it's a more universal mark of respect?