PDA

View Full Version : Cheap UK flights into North aiport Is there a missed opportunity?

dixie4
11-11-2011, 14:19
A few years ago, about 2005, I flew into the North airport on a visit to Tenerife. To me this was ideal as after a 1/2 an hour taxi ride I was in resort sipping an ice cold Dorada Especial.

Flying into the South airport, the hassel of hiring a car and driving the best part of 1.5 hours after a 4.5 hour flight just fills me with dread.

I do think that the budget airlines are missing a great opportunity here. The northern resort of Puerto De La Cruz has loads of good quality hotels and hundreds maybe thousands of British owners of apartments etc, who in my opinion, would visit more often or return home more often if the facility existed.

What do others think?

BobMac
11-11-2011, 14:25
A few years ago, about 2005, I flew into the North airport on a visit to Tenerife. To me this was ideal as after a 1/2 an hour taxi ride I was in resort sipping an ice cold Dorada Especial.

Flying into the South airport, the hassel of hiring a car and driving the best part of 1.5 hours after a 4.5 hour flight just fills me with dread.

I do think that the budget airlines are missing a great opportunity here. The northern resort of Puerto De La Cruz has loads of good quality hotels and hundreds maybe thousands of British owners of apartments etc, who in my opinion, would visit more often or return home more often if the facility existed.

What do others think?

The big problem is that there are no direct flights from UK - you have to change in Spain and the shortest journey time is about 6.5 hours.

karinagal
11-11-2011, 14:31
The big problem is that there are no direct flights from UK - you have to change in Spain and the shortest journey time is about 6.5 hours.

I think that's the point the op is making - that there is a missed opportunity as there are a lot of people who would make use of direct flights to the north if the option was there?

stevem
11-11-2011, 14:44
For the sake of a half hour drive, I still prefer the South airport. :)

BobMac
11-11-2011, 15:08
I think that's the point the op is making - that there is a missed opportunity as there are a lot of people who would make use of direct flights to the north if the option was there?

There can't be an opportunity there

If it was cheaper to fly into the North, Ryanair wouldn't be flying into the South as their model is based on using the cheapest available airport for the area they are flying to. That's why their flights from Stansted flying to Glasgow don't go to Glasgow International

dixie4
11-11-2011, 15:24
For the sake of a half hour drive, I still prefer the South airport. :)

A fast car then, and do not forget the traffic it is a shame they get in the way. I have been stuck in traffic jams by the McDonalds, near Candelaria on TF1 so many times.

The North airport is modern, very well organised and much less busy. It would also mean that a hire car would not be required in my case.

I did look into the price of a taxi once. Have you seen the prices the taxi drivers charge from the South airport to Puerto? Then they expect a tip. They should wear masks.

Megaloo
11-11-2011, 15:28
2003 -2004 BMI did a direct flight from Heathrow which was wonderful for myself and family and it was very reasonable but unfortunately because there was not enough people using it, they pulled out

British Airways operated by(GB Airways) ran a direct flight from Gatwick for a couple of years or so, but when GB Airways sold out to EasyJet everyone thought they would fly to the North but again they chose the South ?? So there must be a reason why.

I must say I do like the North not so many long queues and more tranquil than the South, but if you want Duty free shops then the South is better.

dixie4
11-11-2011, 15:41
I quite agree with you there Megaloo. If my memroy is correct I flew with Thomson into the North from Manchester flight only. I seem to remember that their flights were principally to meet up with the cruise ships in Santa Cruz. It did not last long maybe a year or two.

Brian
11-11-2011, 15:44
Yes it would be great to have direct flights into the North airport, buit I don't find using the south airport a problem.

Just use the Titsa direct bus to and from the airport, it take 1 and 1/2 hours and is only €6.50 each way

stevem
11-11-2011, 15:53
A fast car then, and do not forget the traffic it is a shame they get in the way. I have been stuck in traffic jams by the McDonalds, near Candelaria on TF1 so many times.

It's 60kms between the 2???? I'm not walking you know! :laugh:

Traffic at Candelaria didn't bother me once when I was up at the hospital every other day??

I've flown out of the North, personally I prefer the South airport. But the coffee is better at Los Rodeos.

I think there is a good reason for the South being the preferred airport and that is the weather.

Megaloo
11-11-2011, 15:53
Yes it would be great to have direct flights into the North airport, buit I don't find using the south airport a problem.

Just use the Titsa direct bus to and from the airport, it take 1 and 1/2 hours and is only €6.50 each way

Unfortunately for me that is not an option if I travel with my husband as he is disabled and needs now to take a wheelchair so it has to be by car.
Which added to the air fare makes the cheap flights not so cheap. So sometimes it works out just as cheap to go via Madrid to Heathrow from the North .
Althought Iberia are getting more and more expensive thes days

If I travel alone I use the bus.

BobMac
11-11-2011, 15:56
2003 -2004 BMI did a direct flight from Heathrow which was wonderful for myself and family and it was very reasonable but unfortunately because there was not enough people using it, they pulled out

British Airways operated by(GB Airways) ran a direct flight from Gatwick for a couple of years or so, but when GB Airways sold out to EasyJet everyone thought they would fly to the North but again they chose the South ?? So there must be a reason why.

I must say I do like the North not so many long queues and more tranquil than the South, but if you want Duty free shops then the South is better.

We flew with GB Air just as they were taken over ( we actually flew out GB Air and back as EasyJet, all booked as GB Air ) and they were already flying into South then from Gatwick.

Megaloo
11-11-2011, 16:37
I appreciate GB Airways were flying to both South and North Airports, but obviously did not continue going to the North as a friend of mine came into the North on a flight GB Airways and had the return flight changed to the South and the same time as the takeover

cainaries
11-11-2011, 16:58
Before I get going on my rant, I do know that this the Tenerife Forum and NOT the Canary Islands Forum. However, Tenerife North airport is the hub airport for the inter-island airlines, Binter Canarias and Islas Airways. So anyone who wants to change flights in Tenerife to fly on to the minor islands has to take a cheap flight into Tenerife South and then find a way (taxi or bus) to get to the north to get a connecting flight. The story we heard from GB Airways staff was that they were pulling the route BECAUSE Ryanair were going to fly into the North Airport. Ryanair certainly used to fly into the North airport from Dublin. I can only assume that the authorities on Tenerife want all tourists to arrive in to the south airport and have done a deal with Ryanair to persuade them to change their minds. We used the GB Airways flights a lot and they usually seemed pretty full.

For anyone who is flying out and not going to Tenerife specifically, it makes far more sense to change planes in Las Palmas.

OK I'll go and put my tin hat on because I do know that this is not the point of the thread or the forum. However any airline flying from a major UK airport into Tenerife North would be very welcome with us!

Hmmm. I typed 'cheap flight' without any intention of adding a link and the system has added one automatically. So please don't blame me!

delderek
11-11-2011, 17:43
I read somewhere that 70% of tourists stay in the South, if so, that's why the North is not a viable option for the airlines. Plus the fog and low cloud in the Winter causes many flights to be diverted to the south anyway.

curriegirl
14-11-2011, 21:24
I do agree some of the north flights get diverted to the south due to fog etc. but it would be wonderful to have some flights from the UK to the North airport.

I have to fly to the South from Scotland and use the TITSA bus or hire a car, but since all the airport buses now go from Puerto to Adeje, I have found it difficult to get on the bus in Puerto and at the airport.

The reason being holiday makers travelling from Puerto to Adeje for the day and vice versa.

If I try to catch the early bus it is full of people going south for the day, and if I arrive late in the day, I can't get on the bus for the tourist coming back to Puerto.
The last twice I have been pushed out of the way with people fighting to get on the bus.
So much so that I have taken the Santa cruz bus and had to change there.

It all takes time and when you then have to think of getting your apartment cleaned after being away for a few months all before you get to bed, phew!!!, it is tiring.

I do hope sometime in the near future we will get a flight to the north.

dixie4
14-11-2011, 21:58
Curriegirl I think you mail to the Forum says it all.

I wrote to Ryanair a few weeks ago asking if they had any plans to fly into the North Airport and pointing out that there is an opportunity there, but sadly never received a reply.

I think I may try emailing Monarch next although as just a small cog in a big wheel I doubt it will do any good.

It needs more people emailing to alert the airlines to this missed opportunity.

CAHERA
14-11-2011, 23:34
the north airport should be closed, is dangerous, no visibility. Two of the most terrible accidents of the flights history happened in the North, Los Rodeos. After 1981 it was closed to public and only used for military purposes.
Only a few years ago the politicians opened it again in order to gain votes of some of the north citizens.
You do not need to be a flight engineer to see the big diference:
- between the South airport with a lot of visibility, and lots of space
- and the north always with fog, and no space.
SECURITY is most important than CONFORT
All the best

dixie4
15-11-2011, 02:50
A valid point regarding the fog and diversions to the south. However, they do now have modern facilitities at the North Airport, state of the art radar etc so why should it be closed? You might as well say it is snowing so close Moscow airport. Technology has moved on in leaps and bounds.

The big disaster where two Jumbos collided on the runway was ultimately proved to be pilot error on the part of the Dutch pilot (he started to take off before being given flight clearance by the tower. The other plane was still taxiing after landing). This was complicated by bad visability and lack of effective radar at the airport at the time.

But this was 30 years ago. The stigma should not really apply so many years later and as flights are diverted now and again it shows that the authorities take their responsibilities seriously.

stevem
15-11-2011, 06:44
Dixie, whilst I agree with you in most part. You can't remove the mountainous rock around the approach to the airport. Why risk it when you have a perfectly servicable airport within and hour away???

dixie4
15-11-2011, 10:58
Dixie, whilst I agree with you in most part. You can't remove the mountainous rock around the approach to the airport. Why risk it when you have a perfectly servicable airport within and hour away???

It is never an hour trip really. As I have stated before I find the drive up a big hassel also I think that more Brits on holiday up North would rejuvenate Puerto it needs it.
In 1980 there were 21 British bars in Calle Hoya now there is only one and that is owned by a Spanish guy.

Why do I get the feeling I am trying to move mountains with this thread? It is a rhetorical question no replies required.

Joking aside I do feel if people lobby the budget airlines by post or email maybe will may get direct flights into the North. If you feel that it is right for you please write to them, mine is a lonely voice.

CAHERA
15-11-2011, 11:31
Everytime you land in Tenerife North you risk your live.
This happenend to me:
Several times before landing (even in the summer)the pilot said "due to the fog w'll wait in the air before landing but we do not have much fuel so after 15 minutes w'll go to the south"
The aprehension that you get in thouse 15 minutes is terrible if your helth is a bit weak you could die of a heart attack.
Still if you are a strong persone it is not very pleasant.
I'm not going to say anything more, I am Spanish living in tenerife since 1976, 59 years of age.
And thanks God I can see the diference between :what is very good (South airport) and what is bad (North airport).
I hope that you have not been paid for making propaganda to that bad place

bonitatime
15-11-2011, 14:38
I love the North airport, it is much nicer, smaller and better laid out.
When they talk about trying to circle for 15 mins they are not on gheir last drops of fuel. Flights have more than enough fuel to circle. I have been more than 45 mins circling above Heathrow a few years ago. You really shouldn't worry about this

CAHERA
15-11-2011, 15:49
I'm not a vulture and I don't like to flight in circles risking the life of 300 people, specialy when we have another option another airport 110 times better.

cainaries
16-11-2011, 00:05
I would just like to point out (again!) that the north airport is the hub airport for all the inter-island flights in the Canary Islands so if the north airport were to be closed ALL these flights would be moved to the south. Personally I don't mind which airport they use as long as I can change planes without having to change airports. I have known airlines issue tickets with a flight change in Tenerife without bothering to mention to the poor passengers that they are flying into the south and out from the north.

Redevo
21-11-2011, 18:30
Poeple seem to forget way the North is not used and the main reason the Airport in the south was built .

The loss of 583 lives in 1977

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_disaster

Elegance Mary R
21-07-2012, 19:27
Hubby & I actually prefer to fly Heathrow to Madrid and on to north Tenerife airport - gives hubby the chance to have a ciggie, Spanish airports being more smoker friendly than UK ones

cainaries
21-07-2012, 21:14
Hubby & I actually prefer to fly Heathrow to Madrid and on to north Tenerife airport - gives hubby the chance to have a ciggie, Spanish airports being more smoker friendly than UK ones

Welcome to the Forum and not having a go at you at all. When I saw this thread had been reactivated I thought that something had actually happened! Like a new flight option. Of course it depends on where you are leaving from and where on Tenerife you are going to .... and the prices.

Megaloo
22-07-2012, 09:08
i thought the same, Oh good someone must have some information re flights from the North. I also prefer to travel on that route Mary but they have become a lot more expensive of late. Welcome to the Forum :hello:

amedgon
14-08-2012, 12:27
Hi! I'm new here. I just read your post and maybe you didn't know that from December Ryanair will be travelling from Tenerife North to Madrid and Barcelona...

rob897
14-08-2012, 16:07
Don't tell me this is the start of them moving everything to the North!

warbey
14-08-2012, 20:54
The North Airfield hosts Domestic Flights.

This could mean an alternative routing, via Madrid..

Megaloo
14-08-2012, 21:48
Perhaps that will mean Iberia will reduce their prices. I looked the flight up but if you wanted to fly on to the Uk with Ryanair from Madrid they only fly to Manchester or Stansted from Madrid, but I suppose you may be able to connect with an easyjet from Madrid to other airports in the UK.

warbey
15-08-2012, 20:40
Thats for starters.

I am no Expert, but Flights to Malaga are another option aren't they?

Perhaps Barca also....

Megaloo
15-08-2012, 21:10
Just looked and there are many more connections to the UK from Barcelona including Scotland, East Midlands and Birmingham, but still only Stansted for London, but that is a start if the flights connect especially for people up here in the North of the Island.

kingbaker
17-08-2012, 11:05
Don't tell me this is the start of them moving everything to the North!

Ryanair originally started coming to Tenerife in about (2005 ish) and they flew to Los Rodeos only. I enjoyed this way immensely, and often got a bus
from outside the Airport directly to Santa Cruz, where I left my luggage in somewhere and had a day out in the capital. Later got a bus (or two) to LA.

Prob a long trip for most people and not suitable for people with reduced mobility, but I love travelling, by plane boat train or bus. Incidently I haven't
been on the Tranvia yet as didn't know how to buy a ticket, an didn't want to risk it.

I think that Ryanair got a good deal on landing charges, refuelling etc. from Los Rodeos, and if Reine Sofia's charges get tooooo high, then they might return
to he North....anything's possible in a biting recession.:hello:

KirstyJay
17-08-2012, 14:34
Incidently I haven't been on the Tranvia yet as didn't know how to buy a ticket, an didn't want to risk it.You can use a bono on the Tranvia :)

kingbaker
17-08-2012, 18:16
You can use a bono on the Tranvia :)

Never thought of that............on my To Do List for next time!! Thanks KJ!! :wink:

cazzi
22-08-2012, 15:19
It's 60kms between the 2???? I'm not walking you know! :laugh:

Traffic at Candelaria didn't bother me once when I was up at the hospital every other day??

I've flown out of the North, personally I prefer the South airport. But the coffee is better at Los Rodeos.

I think there is a good reason for the South being the preferred airport and that is the weather.

thers fors and aginst in all these comments but i think the main factor boils down to the landing fees in the north bein too high, i luv los rodeos an much prefer to use it, but for al the reasons disscussed its usuallly an expensive an time consumin way to return fom the uk, unfortunately

rob897
22-08-2012, 18:03

you've obviously not heard this then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXc5o99Dofw&feature=plcp.

kingbaker
22-08-2012, 18:37
you've obviously not heard this then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXc5o99Dofw&feature=plcp.

You're quite correct Rob................well almost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Originally when the no-smoking rule came in, you could smoke at SPECIFIC SPOTS in the airport, usually at a column that holds up the building.There woud be a rubbish bin with a big ashtray on top - you had to stand 'there and there only' and have your smoke. I'm not sure about mainland Spain.:hello:

rob897
22-08-2012, 18:50
if its an actual "law", Then why are people allowed to smoke in restaurants? Last time i was over there were...

cazzi
22-08-2012, 19:04
A valid point regarding the fog and diversions to the south. However, they do now have modern facilitities at the North Airport, state of the art radar etc so why should it be closed? You might as well say it is snowing so close Moscow airport. Technology has moved on in leaps and bounds.

The big disaster where two Jumbos collided on the runway was ultimately proved to be pilot error on the part of the Dutch pilot (he started to take off before being given flight clearance by the tower. The other plane was still taxiing after landing). This was complicated by bad visability and lack of effective radar at the airport at the time.

But this was 30 years ago. The stigma should not really apply so many years later and as flights are diverted now and again it shows that the authorities take their responsibilities seriously.

agree with u there dixie, things hav moved on so much, its called technology, we r in 2012 now guys

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

i did this route last year, had a 3 hour wait in madrid, which is nothin by the time uve had a drink an a bite to eat, 2 x 2 an half hour flites, it was great, would do it again anyday if i was goin back to heathrow

carpenter
22-08-2012, 19:34
If budget airlines did start flying into the North then where from?
Glasgow then Edinburgh would get pi**ed
Manchester Then Leeds would get pi**ed
Birmingham Then London would get pi**ed

You can't win, transfers are a damn site cheaper here than in the UK. It takes less time to travel between TFS and TFN than any of the other airports mentioned.

kingbaker
22-08-2012, 19:37
if its an actual "law", Then why are people allowed to smoke in restaurants? Last time i was over there were...

It was actually an EU Directive.....a total ban on smoking in the workplace, but Spain thought it would lose tooooo much business an kind of brought it in. They allowed bars, restaurants etc to have or not have smoking, dependent on its sq meterage (can't remember the details) I think they were later told to 'extract the digit' and get the job done properly..... Total ban.

In the 'in between' years, the dodgy smoking rules did apply in Rene Sofia Airport:hello:

Incidently smoking in shops, pubs, and restaurants etc. was banned in Germany since the middle to late 70's:hello:

You can't win, transfers are a damn site cheaper here than in the UK. It takes less time to travel between TFS and TFN than any of the other airports mentioned.

I would presume, the same as are now going to Reine Sofia....... Dublin, Liverpool, Brum etc.:hello:

rob897
22-08-2012, 20:02

and i would get ****** too if they all stop going to south, The south must be giving them a good deal, let's just hope it stays that way....

It was actually an EU Directive.....a total ban on smoking in the workplace, but Spain thought it would lose tooooo much business an kind of brought it in. They allowed bars, restaurants etc to have or not have smoking, dependent on its sq meterage (can't remember the details) I think they were later told to 'extract the digit' and get the job done properly..... Total ban.
:

well that clears that up :)