PDA

View Full Version : Steam Network Hacked

markcuk
11-11-2011, 16:21
Well another online system hacked. Question is would you trust your data in the cloud?

Personally I think your data could NEVER be made safe on the internet.

TenerifeTeddy
11-11-2011, 16:56
I agree, I use a company for cloud storage, but I encrypt the folders and I always have a local backup as well, because you never know when or if an outage of either accidental or malicious cause is going to prevent access to your data.

I think it is a big hurdle that all the companies offering cloud services have to overcome. How can they guarantee uniterrupted access to your data, which is of course the primary concern of any company using them, when as has been shown, hackers can bring down any network they see fit to attack.

Vortex Wake
11-11-2011, 17:12
I've had no problems over the last 14 + years of 'cloud' computing.

Markles
19-11-2011, 18:54
It has been discussed in the press on how google will ban your account for any problems they see fit and that stops any access to your cloud information forever!

babybadger
28-11-2011, 20:46
I agree, I use a company for cloud storage, but I encrypt the folders and I always have a local backup as well, because you never know when or if an outage of either accidental or malicious cause is going to prevent access to your data.

I think it is a big hurdle that all the companies offering cloud services have to overcome. How can they guarantee uniterrupted access to your data, which is of course the primary concern of any company using them, when as has been shown, hackers can bring down any network they see fit to attack.

Agreed , I would use an encryption program like PGP (http://www.digitaloutlook.com/cfx_pgp/PGP802-PF-W.zip) (RIM use it on Blackberrys) or http://www.stuffit.com/win-stuffit.html

The thing is, if you encrypt stuff, it says you have something to hide and hackers like the challenge.... If it's important documents and codes, put it on a memory stick and encrypt it, or if larger, a USB hard disk drive.