PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Buying A Clothes Dryer

canarybird
12-11-2011, 21:05
I´ve never had one and have always used the sun and air outdoors here in Tenerife.

But this winter I´m going to be drying more towels and heavy flannelette sheets than previously so I guess I have to relent and buy an electric dryer for the days when hopefully we will have some rain.... (thinking of my garden.)

I would prefer a top loading one, but would be happy to hear any recommendations for brands and models locally available.

I don´t need a top brand with many programs, but am fine with a simple and reliable one in a machine that could take 6 or 7 kilos of wet clothes and last a few years.

Does anyone here on the island have a dryer which they are happy to recommend?
Or on the contrary, have advice on those to avoid. Thanks. :)

Canarybird

timmylish
13-11-2011, 00:01
We,ve had a Samsung dryer for a couple of years now and have been delighted with it. Just straightforward, open the door, in with the wets things, close and press one button. Hey Presto! Walla! Dry clothing to whichever level of dryness you may wish. One word of caution when buying. If you can, have an internally vented one which means no crappy tubing for the escaping hot air. A few shillings more expensive but if you can, why not wait until the January sales on the 7th January as you,ll get this type of machinery in reduced prices I,m sure. Best of luck.

canarybird
13-11-2011, 12:53
Thanks Timmylish...
I hadn´t thought to look online for a Samsung brand. (Didn´t know they made them.)
I have a Samsung TV and laptop so will go now and see what models dryers are available here.

I think the venting would not be a problem because the machine would be in a garden shed beside my washer and deep freeze and as I leave the door open nearly permanently, the venting could just be into the same room without having to poke holes in a wall.

I´m going to check out prices at different shops but don´t think I can wait until January though. We´ve already had a few drops of rain and I´ve been pushing my laundry racks back and forth from outdoors to inside the shed a few times now and already have wet flannelette sheets waiting to dry.

BTW how many kilos does your machine hold? I think I´m okay with 6 or 7 Kilos. No less than 6 though.

Thanks for the tip.

Suej
13-11-2011, 13:09
Thanks Timmylish...
I hadn´t thought to look online for a Samsung brand. (Didn´t know they made them.)
I have a Samsung TV and laptop so will go now and see what models dryers are available here.

I think the venting would not be a problem because the machine would be in a garden shed beside my washer and deep freeze and as I leave the door open nearly permanently, the venting could just be into the same room without having to poke holes in a wall.

I´m going to check out prices at different shops but don´t think I can wait until January though. We´ve already had a few drops of rain and I´ve been pushing my laundry racks back and forth from outdoors to inside the shed a few times now and already have wet flannelette sheets waiting to dry.

BTW how many kilos does your machine hold? I think I´m okay with 6 or 7 Kilos. No less than 6 though.

Thanks for the tip.

I have had both types but at present have a condenser dryer (no venting) I´m afraid although they are quite good they take an age to dry the clothes and are heavy on electric, I would disagree with Timmy on this one IMO a vented dryer is far more efficient as you have an outside wall to accomodate the outlet pipe. I have never seen a top loader in either type. good luck with you search!:)

mike in chayofa
13-11-2011, 13:24
Worten at Las Chafiras had a top loading dryer in stock the other day. It was the first time that I had seen one. Sorry no more details available because I didn't look that closely - I haven't anywhere to put one!

tracey_in_tenerife
13-11-2011, 17:42
Worten have a few dryers as I bought one a couple of month ago , as a just in case it rains item , I have actually used it already for a few bits , it's a 6kg and I think it cost 220 euros , the make is Odel, very simple to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

San Miguel
13-11-2011, 17:59
I had a Miele tumble dryer in the UK and 12 years later it is still going strong over here. I only tumble..no hanging out because I dont like towels like a board whereas with the Miele they come out soft and fluffy and no fading. I rarely have to iron anything ( except 100% cotton or linen items) merely run your hands over tee shirts to flatten them and the clothes keep their shape and texture. So you wont see me standing for hours with the iron on so I figure what I use in electricity to dry I save in ironing plus I am still on my original iron from the UK. The Miele was 600 pounds when I bought it but has been worth its weight in gold.( Probably cheaper now! )

timmylish
14-11-2011, 01:20
I did actually point out that our type was more expensive but apologise if I did not make it clear on the electricity side of things. We could not vent externally without causing grief!

Susief
14-11-2011, 09:50
CB I have had both vented and condensed and if you got an outside shed then go for the vented.
My daughter has a condenser and loves it as it lives in her boiler cupboard.
We bought our dryer in Tenerife from a forum member and paid about 50 euro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malteser Monkey
14-11-2011, 10:36
I have had both types but at present have a condenser dryer (no venting) I´m afraid although they are quite good they take an age to dry the clothes and are heavy on electric, I would disagree with Timmy on this one IMO a vented dryer is far more efficient as you have an outside wall to accomodate the outlet pipe. I have never seen a top loader in either type. good luck with you search!:)

Yup I'm with you on this - I had a tumble dryer with a hose - much better and much faster than the condenser dryer I now have !

canarybird
14-11-2011, 12:23
Oh thanks all for your input. Yesterday I was swinging towards the idea of a condenser model but this morning you´re convincing me that a vented would be better. As it would be in a storage shed I could just let it vent into the little room until I could get an albañil to come and make a hole in the wall.

I think the cats would appreciate having the warm air directed into the room in the winter though.:)
I have a couple of ferals who are now bunking on old blankets in there at night, but the humidity could be a problem.

I would love a Miele, as I can image they are very good. I have a Miele vacuum cleaner so I know they make high quality appliances. Tracey I´ll look out for Odel as well. I guess I have to now go to an appliance store and see what they offer and then compare notes again.

Mike I see that the only top loading dryer I can find online is a Fagor which has a 6 kg capacity but is more expensive.
Here´s a link to show you the model. (http://www.fagor.com/web/es/catalogo-de-productos/catalogo-pi-fagor/ropa/secadoras/carga-superior/sfs-64e/detail/936010003)
My daughter in Canada used to have a top loading dryer and I remember how convenient it was to not have to bend over to look inside the machine. You loaded and unloaded the same way as the top loading washing machine (http://www.coloramarentals.com/uploads/Products/product_207/KENMORE_WASHER_WHITE_26-28222.jpg).

A pair of my king size flannelette sheets can be pretty heavy when they´re wet, so am now thinking of going up to an 8 kg capacity machine.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. I´ll keep watching here in case anyone has more ideas to add.

Canarybird

Malteser Monkey
14-11-2011, 12:30
Oh thanks all for your input. Yesterday I was swinging towards the idea of a condenser model but this morning you´re convincing me that a vented would be better. As it would be in a storage shed I could just let it vent into the little room until I could get an albañil to come and make a hole in the wall.

I think the cats would appreciate having the warm air directed into the room in the winter though.:)
I have a couple of ferals who are now bunking on old blankets in there at night, but the humidity could be a problem.

I would love a Miele, as I can image they are very good. I have a Miele vacuum cleaner so I know they make high quality appliances. Tracey I´ll look out for Odel as well. I guess I have to now go to an appliance store and see what they offer and then compare notes again.

Mike I see that the only top loading dryer I can find online is a Fagor which has a 6 kg capacity but is more expensive.
Here´s a link to show you the model. (http://www.fagor.com/web/es/catalogo-de-productos/catalogo-pi-fagor/ropa/secadoras/carga-superior/sfs-64e/detail/936010003)
My daughter in Canada used to have a top loading dryer and I remember how convenient it was to not have to bend over to look inside the machine. You loaded and unloaded the same way as the top loading washing machine (http://www.coloramarentals.com/uploads/Products/product_207/KENMORE_WASHER_WHITE_26-28222.jpg).

A pair of my king size flannelette sheets can be pretty heavy when they´re wet, so am now thinking of going up to an 8 kg capacity machine.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. I´ll keep watching here in case anyone has more ideas to add.

Canarybird

You could always put a large pot/bowl of salt in there to absorb the humidity

I did wonder what you were going to say when you mentioned a pair of your king sized flanelette...........bloomers were in my mind:whistle::cheeky: