PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair stupid flight change policy!

Tom & Sharon
14-11-2011, 19:07
I have a flight booked to go back to the UK on 5th Dec, and today I decided I wouldn't have enough time to do what I wanted, so thought I would bring it forward by a few days. I did this during the summer, and it charged me a €25 fee for the privelege. Fair enough I thought!

Today, when I went on the website to do it again, the fee has gone up to €50! This fee is always plus the flight difference as well. To change the flight to Manchester on 2nd Dec it wanted to charge me €57.

To re-book the flight again, the price was €31.99 (no taxes) :confused: To go to Liverpool instead on the 1st, it was €24.99 (no taxes), so this is what I booked.

For the life of me, when their flight prices are so low, I cannot understand the flight change fee. If it had been €25 like before, I would have done that, thereby releasing my previous flight seat for them to re-sell. They would have had €25 off me, and then could have re-sold the seat as well.

By charging such a ridiculous change fee, and making it cheaper to re-book, they are losing money. The end result of what I have done, is to pay them less, and hold a seat which I won't use that they could have re-sold.:confused:

I don't think Michael O'Leary has quite thought this one through!

dokgolf
14-11-2011, 22:18
I think they try to take advantage of the dim witted who will pay the cancelation/alteration fee instead of booking a new flight ( normally cheaper). I did the same before, didn't cancel the original flight just didn't turn up for it.

Sundowner
14-11-2011, 22:30
I have a flight booked to go back to the UK on 5th Dec, and today I decided I wouldn't have enough time to do what I wanted, so thought I would bring it forward by a few days. I did this during the summer, and it charged me a €25 fee for the privelege. Fair enough I thought!

Today, when I went on the website to do it again, the fee has gone up to €50! This fee is always plus the flight difference as well. To change the flight to Manchester on 2nd Dec it wanted to charge me €57.

To re-book the flight again, the price was €31.99 (no taxes) :confused: To go to Liverpool instead on the 1st, it was €24.99 (no taxes), so this is what I booked.

For the life of me, when their flight prices are so low, I cannot understand the flight change fee. If it had been €25 like before, I would have done that, thereby releasing my previous flight seat for them to re-sell. They would have had €25 off me, and then could have re-sold the seat as well.

By charging such a ridiculous change fee, and making it cheaper to re-book, they are losing money. The end result of what I have done, is to pay them less, and hold a seat which I won't use that they could have re-sold.:confused:

I had a flight booked with Rip off air in March and because I could not use it tried to give it away. B

Added after 11 minutes:

I had a flight booked with rip off air in March and because I could not use it I tried to give it away, but because of the flight differential a £80 return ticket would of cost an extra £306 to change! There must be some logic here somewhere but I fail to see it :)

dotty1
15-11-2011, 09:03
The same happened to me last year with Jet2. I broke my foot and had to change it cost more to change than to pay for a new flight, I think they all do it, rip off you are right

Su1
15-11-2011, 11:09
We had to change our outward flight in September, it was cheaper to book another single flight, however I was worried that our return part of the ticket would not be honoured. Fortunately it was OK but I heard of someone who decided to do the same as us but contacted ryanair and cancelled their outward flight . When they came to try and check in for the return journey it too had been cancelled. The moral of this story is to NOT cancel just leave it as a no show. We did not book in on line, just left it.

Tom & Sharon
15-11-2011, 11:41
It just seems strange that it's a policy which costs them money. I thought they were more on the ball than that.

The "change" fee is so out of line with their actual flight prices, that it is cheaper to re-book, and be a no show for the original flight.

This leaves them with empty plane seats which they could have sold for a 2nd time. I thought they were more on the ball than that!

Sundowner
15-11-2011, 13:09
Here is the latest money making scheme..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061349/Bounty-hunters-airport-Baggage-staff-50p-bonus-piece-Ryanair-hand-luggage-wont-fit.html

golf birdie
15-11-2011, 13:18
its all quite simple. Most changes to flight dates are last moment, ie; a day or two before, by which time you would find it hard (most of the year) to find any flight for less than 100 euros. The change of day rate is the same even if the flight costs less than the change fee.

Tojack
15-11-2011, 14:19
They do sell them when check in closes.If you don't show to any one on stand by

karinagal
15-11-2011, 15:02
Here is the latest money making scheme..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061349/Bounty-hunters-airport-Baggage-staff-50p-bonus-piece-Ryanair-hand-luggage-wont-fit.html

Interesting that it's not only Ryanair flights that are affected although they haven't divulged what others carriers are affected.. also interesting that it is not Ryanair who are promoting this bonus but Servisair!!

I use Ryanair frequently, and have not had any problems with them. However, this does not mean I blindly support them and I totally agree that the flight change charges seem excessive in this case. I certainly would not have paid it either! The only time I have ever changed a flight, it cost me £25 only - the difference in flight price was less than a pound and as a result they did not add it on! First time I can ever say that they've let me off with paying something!! Of course I was changing it weeks ahead as I was looking to get an extra day on my holiday and when I booked originally it was cheaper to fly home on the Saturday but when there was a flight sale I was able to change to the Sunday....

Added after 2 minutes:

They do sell them when check in closes.If you don't show to any one on stand by

Don't see how that would work at Tenerife airport on Ryanair flights as when you're travelling only with hand luggage you don't check in at the airport and they don't scan your boarding pass at security.... Effectively the only way they will know is when they've boarded everyone and there are seats left over?

Tojack
15-11-2011, 19:56
Oops forgot about that.Once :ashamed: