PDA

View Full Version : Having a baby in Tenerife

slummymummy
15-11-2011, 16:14
Hi, Can anyone tell me if the Matrona/s at the medical centre opposite the bus station in Los Cristianos speak a little english. I don't speak any spanish but have got by at my hospital appointments (even though they are hugely unimpressed by my inability to speak spanish) but the Matrona was off sick on the day of my 1st appointment and I wasn't given another and I'm getting concerned about how to make another appointment with her and if I need to take a translator with me when I do. All info would be much appreciated as I don't even know which hospital I'm supposed to go to when in Labour (I have months to go though) as I've been to the green hospital and the university hospital in Santa Cruz.
Thanks

monkeymisha
15-11-2011, 16:56
hi the midwife i had Petu Konig does speak English and is very nice too to make another appointment go to the reception on the ground floor you may be able to see her then if you expain...as for the hospital its up to you i had my little boy at the green clinic and they were very good if you need any more info let me know

polremy
15-11-2011, 17:10
When I visited this health centre the nurse I saw spoke not a word of English but we discovered we could both speak French which was a much better option than pigeon Spanish and sign language!

9PLUS
15-11-2011, 19:31
In my opinion we could not of wished for a better service given to us at the Candelaria Hospital in the North.

They have some of Spains best people there. You should ask if it be possible for an English speaking doctor in the north as a couple of them studied in England and the States anyhow.

Its a real good idea to have someone with you that can translate for you as it is important to get all the information correct the first time.

uptowngirl
15-11-2011, 22:09
There is also an English speaking midwife who works at Las Ramblas and Candelaria. Her name is Maria and she worked as a midwife in Newcastle for 12 years!

Tenerifelass
15-11-2011, 22:20
Buenaventura suerte :)

obs
15-11-2011, 23:10
There is also an English speaking midwife who works at Las Ramblas and Candelaria. Her name is Maria and she worked as a midwife in Newcastle for 12 years!

So ----- she can't speak English either -------- :crylaughing::crylaughing:

louisecox
16-11-2011, 13:15
There is a matrona in the Los Cristianos Drs, I visited there with a friend and also translating, but I cant remember her name. Agree with 9plus that Candelaria is excellant, if you need any help just pm me.

missSJ
16-11-2011, 17:08
The matrona that i see at Los Cristianos is german she is very nice & i think she speaks english, she has also been off sick recently, so it´s the same one! Shes back now. She dose anti-natal classes every thursday at 4.15pm, you can just go along, there will be a few of us there, it depends what stage your at, i think she like you to go to the classes when your after 28 weeks & she tells you all the info you need to know. I´m there now every thursday (i´m 33 weeks). Maybe i´ll see you. Contact me if you need, i also speak good spanish.
Regards Sarah X