PDA

View Full Version : Are there any fresh water public pools in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife?

Brentfordian
15-11-2011, 21:22
I hate the taste of salt water. The water in the Lago Martianez pools is too salty for me.
Does anyone know if the Olympic pool next to the football stadium in Puerto de la Cruz is open? Last Noel it was empty.
Do any of the Puerto de la Cruz hotels or complexes allow non-residents to swim in their pools?
Thanks in advance.

Brentfordian
26-02-2012, 11:57
In December 2011, a lady in the Tourist Information Office in Puerto de la Cruz told me that the Municipal pool has water in it but it is not open to the public (it is used by clubs). She said there is a health club in Puerto de la Cruz with a swimming pool that anyone can join. I cannot remember its name or location.

Rickiebear
26-02-2012, 13:39
I don't know of a public pool. But ask at some of the hotels, many will let you use the pool area if you ask first, and use their bars and restaurants.

Brentfordian
26-02-2012, 14:28
Thanks for that tip, Rickiebear,
I am back in UK now after two months in Puerto de la Cruz. I did not ask any hotel to use their pool. A lot of the hotel pools were odd shaped and not really suitable for swimming lengths as a form of exercise.

KirstyJay
26-02-2012, 14:54
I'm an avid swimmer, so I know what you mean about lengths. I use the municipal pool here in Guia de Isora, so maybe it's worth looking into the local health centres from the Ayuntamiento on the net before you come over next time. Most of them have at least one pool that is not empty :) It's usually best if you search google in Spanish to get the best results.

The site for the Ayuntamiento is : www.puertodelacruz.es but I can't get it to open at the moment. Once it does, try searching for 'piscina' and see what comes up :)

Brentfordian
26-02-2012, 15:23
Thanks KirstyJay,
I have just searched for piscina on www.puertodelacruz.es and all that comes up is a description of the swimming club that uses the municipal pool.
I will do more research before my next visit to Tenerife:c2:

Rickiebear
26-02-2012, 17:32
Hi, perhaps you could join the Smimming club. Or if you are a member of a club back in the UK, they would allow you to continue to train whilst on holiday.

polremy
26-02-2012, 18:10
I recently stayed 2 nights at the Monopol in Puerto.
I loved swimming in their pool.
50 lengths before breakfast was perfecto.
Not sure what length you were thinking of - it might be a bit short for you.
But it was satisfyingly rectangular - not the kidneyshaped type.
OH did joke at the time that anyone could have walked in from the street and enjoyed their breakfast! There didn't seem to be anyone checking.
I'm sure you could buy a drink at the bar and then jump in for your dip. The pool's just next to the bar.

Rickiebear
26-02-2012, 18:51
Hi, we used the Monopol last year to watch World Cup in their lounge most evenings We sat in the bar with a drink, nobody said anything.

tozcal2011
02-03-2012, 19:13
In December 2011, a lady in the Tourist Information Office in Puerto de la Cruz told me that the Municipal pool has water in it but it is not open to the public (it is used by clubs). She said there is a health club in Puerto de la Cruz with a swimming pool that anyone can join. I cannot remember its name or location.

A friend of mine has been a member of the Municipal pool next to the a.m. location by Fort Castillo since beginning of 2012. She is not part of the swimming club but goes there almost every day for physiotherapy in the water. People who want to learn to swim will also find teachers there. A few years ago, a girl I knew was a club member and told me I could also get a monthly entrance card for about Euros 17. This is the same price paid by the lady who is nursing her operated knees there in the warm, natural water. Needless to say, she loves it. Some other person told me lately that entrance is free for residents from Puerto Cruz. However, I am sure that something needs to be paid for the water gymnastics like physiotherapy.