PDA

View Full Version : Are there any over the counter medicines I can get for Migraines?

MummyJ
18-11-2011, 21:14
Does anyone know of any good over the counter tablets we can buy here for migraines as normal paracetamol are not working - its pretty urgent as have had it for a week and our Dr is on holiday

ANy names of otc medicine would be greatful

thanks

Nic
18-11-2011, 21:20
I suffer from terrible migraines and take Maxalt Liotabs, they are quite expensive though at around 15€ per tablet but they really do work. If you know migraine tablets then these are a triptan tablet. These ones are tablets that melt on your tongue and can be bought without prescription, just ask for Maxalt Liotabs or write it down and take it in. It's the only thing that works for me. Hope you feel better soon!

MummyJ
18-11-2011, 21:34
thanks

Just googled these and not sure as the OH is also on Blood pressure tablets

cinnamon
18-11-2011, 21:45
if your OH is on blood pressure tablets, i'd suggest you rather go into the pharmacy and explain the situation. tell them which tablets he normally takes and they can advice you best without your OH getting into danger of mixing medications without really knowing if they are compatible. hope that helps.

Nic
18-11-2011, 21:47
When I was pregnant I couldn't take them and the doctor gave me an injection of Nolotil. My husband is on blood pressure tablets too but has been prescribed Nolotil on various occasions and you can buy them over the counter so they might help too. Also, to help ease the pain get a warm face cloth and place it over your eyes, preferrably with mint in it, that soothes the pain. I was 17 days with a migraine when I was pregnant and nothing worked but the heat did ease the pain! Hope he feels better soon.

Kande
19-11-2011, 00:21
I take ibuprofen 600 on the onset of a migraine and that works for me, though mine only last for about day or so.

San Miguel
19-11-2011, 01:01
There may be something going around cos I had to go to docs for long lasting migraine this week...he prescribed a 2 a day tablet for the everyday pain which do nothing at all but also some to take on the onset of migraine..but i have it all the time so not sure when that would be???

anto3
19-11-2011, 02:56
I use zomig.can give you 2 if needed. Pm me

Goforgold
19-11-2011, 08:31
I use zomig.can give you 2 if needed. Pm me

I've suffered with severe migraines since about 12 years of age and tried everything going and nothing worked. I came across an article in a magazine in a hairdresser's about 15 years ago from a reader who suggested Zomig - went to the doctor's got a prescription for it and my life changed from then on. It takes 40 minutes to kick in but then saves me 3 days of being out of action.

chifleta
23-11-2011, 16:15
Totaly agree Goforgold.... If I get an aura Hemicraneal work (pop two, and one an hour if it goes full brain ache.... though I don't normally need the third).... If I try and be stubborn and end up with a full blown humdinger migraine, I take Zomig 2.5mg (used to take 5mg but they made my feet and hands feel wierd), usually just the one works, that and a triple gel ice pack wrapped around my head - but you do need prescription for these.... if you are in the South MummyJ, pop into the urgencias in Los Critianos oposite bus stop with your I111 or whatever it's called nowadays, you should get to see a doctor there - though hopefully you haven't got migraine anymore :)

MummyJ
23-11-2011, 16:35
thanks everyone

he got co-hydramol which workd for 2 days but it cam back with a vengance today :(

Gonna try the nolotil tomorrow

Cant take ibroprofen :(

all your help is appreciated - also sent a pm re the lovely member anto who ofered 2 tablets

Zara
23-11-2011, 17:52
Cafergot - they are not the most modern of migraine relief tablets but they work, you can buy them over the counter and they are just over €1. They are not just a painkiller so you have to strictly follow the instructions on usage.

The usual dose is 1 or 2 tablets taken at the first sign of a migraine. A doctor may increase your dose up to 4 tablets in 24 hours, however it is important to use the lowest dose which is effective.
Keep a record of how many tablets you take.
It is important that you:
do not take more than 4 Cafergot tablets in 24 hours
do not take Cafergot tablets every day to prevent migraines
do not take Cafergot tablets if you have already taken a course of treatment within the last 4 days
do not take more than 8 Cafergot tablets in a week.

Goforgold
24-11-2011, 18:18
thanks everyone

he got co-hydramol which workd for 2 days but it cam back with a vengance today :(

Gonna try the nolotil tomorrow

Cant take ibroprofen :(

all your help is appreciated - also sent a pm re the lovely member anto who ofered 2 tablets

How are you feeling now MummyJ? As mentioned, I got no relief at all from over the counter meds and would often feel drained and out of it for several days after the '3 day attack'.

MummyJ
24-11-2011, 19:02
Sorry

Its my OH who has the migraine - its still there but hes still working though in again

We think its a severe tension headache

Goforgold
24-11-2011, 19:22
Sorry

Its my OH who has the migraine - its still there but hes still working though in again

We think its a severe tension headache

Sorry to hear he's still suffering, poor man. :( I think most of mine were migraine brought on my tension. Hope he gets himself checked out if he hasn't already - they are debilitating.

cynophilia
24-11-2011, 21:32
I also suffer from migraine every month again : ( And have tryed many things..Maxalt,betablocker,magnesium,acupuncture and now Imigran...Can only take half a tablet at the time because my heart is going so fast that I joke and think ok I maybe need a ambulance for a heart attack but I have no headache..
But I also know this is not my answer..So in one year I lose one month because of migraine..

Will have a look at Cafergot for next month..I am ok for the next 28 days : )

anto3
24-11-2011, 21:43
Will met you tomorrow at 1 30 in Ojangles, Will only be able to give you 2 tabs as it cost 50 euro for 10 but work great for migrains

Zara
24-11-2011, 21:47
I also suffer from migraine every month again : ( And have tryed many things..Maxalt,betablocker,magnesium,acupuncture and now Imigran...Can only take half a tablet at the time because my heart is going so fast that I joke and think ok I maybe need a ambulance for a heart attack but I have no headache..
But I also know this is not my answer..So in one year I lose one month because of migraine..

Will have a look at Cafergot for next month..I am ok for the next 28 days : )

You can only get Cafergot on prescription in the UK but they are freely available here. They work by reducing the blood vessels to the brain relieving the pressure that is the reason you have to take exactly as the instructions, they are not a tablet for people who call a headache a migraine they are for real migraine sufferers. Hope they work for you I have had them for the past 10 - 12 years and think they are the best.

Loaded
24-11-2011, 21:54
Tonopan work wonders for me, I used to suffer from them and these bad boys take it away within an hour!!

cynophilia
30-11-2011, 22:49
You can only get Cafergot on prescription in the UK but they are freely available here. They work by reducing the blood vessels to the brain relieving the pressure that is the reason you have to take exactly as the instructions, they are not a tablet for people who call a headache a migraine they are for real migraine sufferers. Hope they work for you I have had them for the past 10 - 12 years and think they are the best.

A migraine for me is 2/3 days laying in a complete dark room, can't eat or drink ....I am a zombie....will look also at Tonopan...

Loaded
30-11-2011, 23:04
Honestly try tonopan. My migraines were just impaired vision (as if someone had thrown a pebble in a pond) and they sort
It out for me . I hope you give them a try and i hope
They work
For you

chifleta
30-11-2011, 23:21
it's amazing how many kinds of migraines there are.... I see on here hormonal types, vomitive types, there are also cluster headaches (nicknamed suicide migraines.... although i've changed that name to "homicidal" migraines, especially when the neighbours dog is yapping, I don't want to top myself, I was to kill the dog and/or his owner), also allergies to certain foods (I feel for you poor people with the chocolate one).... i'm 2 days before homonal types, and 2 days after hormonal types if i'm very lucky (not), also the weather affects me, bright sunshine and when it's very hot (my only downfall to living in paradise), so i'm buggered in the summer (when I was overweight before, during the summer months i'd have a niggly head nearly every single afternoon) ..... I get the ones where if a light reflects/flashes in my eyes, it'll get me, or if too hot (so when hormonal my body temperature goes up too grrr) .... so I have to lie in a dark room with a triple gel pack (15€ from the farmacia.... BEST BUY EVERRRR) that you keep permanently in freezer. When you need it, you grab it out of freezer and slip it into it's own fluffy cover, which has an elastic strap sewn on, with velcro at the end, so you can wrap the gel pack round your head and wrap the elastic round to hold it in place with the velcro.. burrrrrrilliannnttttt ... the instructions say don't leave it on your head for more than 20 mins :sorry: but brain freeze feels sooooooo good when you think your head is gonna explode .. I hate popping pills, but after suffering for many years, i'm not so stubborn nowadays, i've got too much living to do to have to suffer them :crazy: - anyways, after that waffling, let's all keep our fingers crossed that we don't have a migraine any time soon :)

Loaded
30-11-2011, 23:39
Mine were becoming more and more frequent in my early 20's and I put it down to cheese, chocolate, coca cola or red bull, coffee etc so I stopped taking cheese, chocolate and caffeine for about 8 years and i was ok.

These days I dabble and occasionally get caught out but tonopan always sorts me

Greg
01-12-2011, 01:04
You can get Tramadol over the counter here, great pain killers and a nice floaty experience to go with it. Don't drive on em though!