PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy decent beer in Tenerife?

beerfan
20-11-2011, 05:31
Hi there! I'm all new and stuff. This looks an invaluable resource for things to do in Tenerife and looks like a friendly place. :)

Anyway, onto my question:

I'm off to Tenerife for the first time on Monday. I'm very familiar with one of the other Canary Islands (I've been to Lanzarote nine times and fancy a bit of a change!) and was wondering if there were any decent beer stores on the island? I'll be stopping in Puerto de la Cruz which is obviously within fairly easy driving distance of the island's capital, Santa Cruz.

The reason I ask is that the Canary Islands and indeed most of Spain is a bit of a washout for good beer in general save for a very few rare microbrewery examples and of course cider producing parts of Northern Spain (on my bucket list!). So are there any decent supermarkets where I can buy beer that isn't the run-of-the-mill lagers that predominate? I'm thinking of the stronger editions (7.5%-8%) of Guinness for instance. I was thinking that the branch of El Corte Inglés in Santa Cruz would probably be a decent starting point. I'll be drinking a fair bit of lager in the bars so will fancy a change back at the apartment. :)

Also can some kind soul let me know how much a half-litre of lager is in the bars of Puerto de la Cruz? I'm guessing €2.50-€3 - in common with other places in the Canary Islands - with some places charging considerably less on account of 'happy hour' deals and the like? I'm staying at the Hotel Interpalace on Puerto de la Cruz and have been told that it's so quiet it's comatose there. I take it there's still places to eat and drink and so on? :)

Thanks for all your help in advance. :)

canarybird
20-11-2011, 09:28
The area where you will be staying in Puerto de la Cruz has several German pubs as well as a German (Spar) supermarket which is on the same street as the hotel.

German beer is supposed to be very good, so if you like it you can buy it either in the pubs or the supermarket.
Sorry I have no idea of the price of a half liter of lager though.

And yes there are endless places to eat and drink here.

Canarybird

Zara
20-11-2011, 09:45
This apart from the usual Dorada, Stella etc http://www.cerveceriatacoa.com/inicio1.html is the only place I have heard of in the North that produces its own beer. I am not a drinker so like Canarybird have no idea of the price you will be asked to pay. Hope this helps.

Megaloo
20-11-2011, 10:21
I also could not tell you any prices, but I certainly have seen Guinness in the Supermarkets . I think Mercadonna and also Hyper Trebol stock it.

As Canarybird says there are lots of Restaurants around there. In fact I had dinner last evening in a French Restaurant (Orcheadia) just down the road from the Hotel and it was really busy

delderek
20-11-2011, 11:38
Not sure about Puerto, but half a litre is one and a half euros in many of the Southern resorts.

beerfan
20-11-2011, 16:37
This apart from the usual Dorada, Stella etc http://www.cerveceriatacoa.com/inicio1.html is the only place I have heard of in the North that produces its own beer. I am not a drinker so like Canarybird have no idea of the price you will be asked to pay. Hope this helps.

Thank you for telling me about this, it's a huge help. They're based about 11 miles from our hotel. I get the impression that the clientele of the place where we're staying will be predominantly older Germans but I don't mind that at all. I don't mind German food either though obviously I'd prefer to eat Spanish food when in Spain.

The website is in Spanish and German only but it looks like they do a range of beers: a helles (German pale lager-type beer); a what looks like a Vienna (I'm guessing) and a few others, including a weizen. The strong black lager-type deal, probably a dunkler bock is of interest and seems to be reasonable enough taste-wise though a bit unsubtle.

The scran doesn't look bad either. :)

Now I just need to find the bus route!

Thanks again. :)

Davethepubsinger
21-11-2011, 14:02
There's also a Belgian Beer shop in PDLC. Sorry, I don't have the address though. It's called Maison Belge or something similar.

BobMac
21-11-2011, 14:21
Thank you for telling me about this, it's a huge help. They're based about 11 miles from our hotel. I get the impression that the clientele of the place where we're staying will be predominantly older Germans but I don't mind that at all. I don't mind German food either though obviously I'd prefer to eat Spanish food when in Spain.

The website is in Spanish and German only but it looks like they do a range of beers: a helles (German pale lager-type beer); a what looks like a Vienna (I'm guessing) and a few others, including a weizen. The strong black lager-type deal, probably a dunkler bock is of interest and seems to be reasonable enough taste-wise though a bit unsubtle.

The scran doesn't look bad either. :)

Now I just need to find the bus route!

Thanks again. :)

If you install Google Chrome, it automatically translates any foreign language websites to the language you have set as the default for your PC