PDA

View Full Version : Health Advice on dialysis needed.

Missingthereef
20-11-2011, 16:14
Hi,
Wonder if any forum member has experience of the 'delivery' service available for peritoneal dialysis patients? My husband may need this in the future and we are concerned about our planned visits to the reef next year. As this is all very new to us, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. x

garlicbread
20-11-2011, 16:30
As far as I'm aware, if you talk to your coordinator in the UK they can arrange it with the Hospiten Sur ( Green Clinic) in PDLA.

the contact at the hospital here can be reached at this e mail address.

teresa.acosta@hospiten.com

Suej
20-11-2011, 17:11
Hi,
Wonder if any forum member has experience of the 'delivery' service available for peritoneal dialysis patients? My husband may need this in the future and we are concerned about our planned visits to the reef next year. As this is all very new to us, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. x
A friend of mine had her dialysis here whilst on holiday at the Green Clinic and as Garlicbread says it can be arranged from the UK. The treatment was fantastic with no waiting she even got breakfast! she said she never got as much as a cup of tea in the UK. Good luck!

Missingthereef
20-11-2011, 18:01
Thanks Suej and garlicbread for the quick replies!
We have been told that the special fluid needed for peritoneal dialysis is actually delivered for home use. Wondered if anyone has experience of this service in Tenerife?

Pets@Home
21-11-2011, 00:05
[COLOR="#0000CD"]HI I HAVE HAD NO KIDNEYS NOW FOR 40 YEARS, SPENT 8 YEARS ALTOGETHER ON HEMO DIAYLSIS AND ON MY 2ND TRANSPLANT NOW, 12 YEARS OLD ......... I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE METHOD, OTHER THAN IT CAN BE DONE IN YOUR OWN HOME. THERE ARE ALOT OF SALINE BAGS TO BRING OVER ETC, YOUR UNIT THERE WILL GET IN TOUCH WITH THE GREEN CLINIC, BUT U NORMALLY DO IT YOURSELF, 4 TIMES PER DAY. ITS ALOT OF WEIGHT TO CARRY, I THINK AIRLINES HAVE CONCESSIONS FOR THIS TYPE OF THING ........ DONT WORRY I DIALYSED HERE FOR 3 MONTHS IN 1998, THE SYSTEM THEY HAVE OVER HERE IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THAT OF THE UK, THATS WHY I LIVE HERE AND HAVE BEEN HERE SINCE AUG 2000, 6 MONTHS AFTER MY 2ND TRANSPLANT. THIS ISLAND HAS EXCELLENCE ON NOT ONLY DIALYSIS BUT ON TRANSPLANTATION TOO ........ LAST YEAR ON THIS VERY SMALL ISLAND THEY DID 3500 TRANSPLANTS, OF WHICH 1500 WERE FROM LIVE DONORS ..... I FEEL SAFE HERE AND WELL LOOKED AFTER ........ ANY QUESTIONS U HAVE ABOUT DIET, LIFESTYLE, MEDICATION, TRANSPLANTATION, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME. WHEN I HAD KIDNEY FAILURE BACK IN THE 70s THERE WAS NO ONE TO TALK TO ABOUT IT, ITS DIFFERENT NOW DAYS ......

Missingthereef
21-11-2011, 15:40
Hi there! Thank you very much for your reassuring reply. It is good to know Tenerife has such a fantastic record on transplants. I have spent several months having tests to see if I can donate to my husband. All seemed fine until the last test, a nuclear gfr, came back as being too low to safely donate. This was a great shock as we were both geared up for the op. As I am a bit on the stubborn side I am having a re-test in the hope that some kind of error occured. We love coming to Tenerife and it is great to know that you have have had excellent treatment over there. Thanks again. x

Pets@Home
21-11-2011, 18:28
Hi again, also forgot to say the other reason I live here ........ Tenerife has a different system to the UK as far as Donors go. I have had two successful transplants but I had to wait for them. The first one I waited 6 1/2 years for, and the second one I got lucky its was 3 weeks. My friend waited 12 years, and the norm now is over 10 years wait now, esp if u are a certain age. I am now 50 so this is why I live here. If I needed dialysis I would get it, UK prob not because of my age.
Same goes for transplantation there is an age limit in the UK. here no age limit. Plus because of the system here, waiting time is 6 months to 2 years, so you will possible live to get one, in the UK people die waiting, I know I have been like this
for 40 years, I am disgusted with the amount of time u have to wait in the UK, all because they dont want to change the system and save more lives. My advice if u cannot donate, is to come and live here, get residencia, so easy to get, and go on the waiting list here, your husband then will have a fighting chance of survival and u sound as if u will go to whatever means to do it ....... BEST decision I ever made was to come to Tenerife to live, its an Island of excellence for this field, and they are way ahead of the UK. You never know they might be able to find a way round the whole live donor situation, and the Consultants here are fantastic, no rock unturned, and technically they are in front of the UK on so many levels its so unbeliveable ......... email me if u wish for more advice ......... after all u cannot put a price on your husbands life can you .........