PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Newbie, moving over next year.

LameDuck
22-11-2011, 17:27
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so be gentle with me ;-)

My current contract ends in march, I'm a programmer. There isn't much work here and frankly, I'm fed up with it anyway. I commute to London daily, to earn enough money to heat a ridiculously large flat. Time for a change of life.

I tried it once before on Fuerteventura, but failed. The reality was, that the work was very limited on that island and with a wife and 3 kids to support, my income never covered my outgoings. Things are different now, kids have grown up and gone and my wife, isn't, so I'll be on my own :-) I figure Tenerife is a better option this time, should be more chances of making a living. Yes more competition, but more opportunites, hopefully.

My plan is to buy a big white van and slowly tour down through france and spain to cadiz, then ferry over. I will kit the van out inside as a basic living space and storage, so I can bring my "toyz" over. Then while I'm get established, can sleep in the van, if need be! Are there any issues in sleeping in the van, would it be classed as illegal camping, or as it's an ordinary looking van, would the boys in brown or blue just ignore it? Or would the UK plates just attract them?

Is busking legal in Tenerife? I was planning to do some busking, just to raise some cash in the early stages of my time on the island. Not a permanent option, would much rather have a more normal job, but don't mind what that is.

Could I get my van legal in Tenerife? I'll pick up a left hand drive one anyway and if I can get myself and my van legal, might be a way to make a living with that 2? Or is the island full of people doing the "man with a van" thing?

Sorry, huge first post. 3 months of planning and arranging. A month cruising Europe, then I arrive.

Thanks

Jim

stevem
22-11-2011, 17:38
Hi Jim, firstly welcome. Secondly, if that's your business plan, please seriously reconsider!

Have you tried any of the freelance sites? It's well worth a look as there is plenty of programming work you can do remotely!!! The man in a van idea is/has been done to death and personally I wouldn't consider busking as a career move.

I would look for work on the American market as they are very receptive to teleworking.

Finally, good luck whatever you choose!!!! :)

LameDuck
22-11-2011, 17:42
I've been doing it for 20 years, so if I never write another line of code again, I'll be happy! My main aim on the island is to finish my book, so however I live or earn a living in the meantime, doesn't matter at all :) The main purpose of the van is to get my basic electronic stuff over and maybe a temp place to sleep in. Certainly for the journey down.

It's a complete lifestyle change I'm after, so anything goes now :)

londonjimmy
22-11-2011, 18:01
I suggest if you are gonna do this, and need to pick up some contract stuff from time to time you joins odesk.com or vworker.com. Then you can pick and chose. Cheers. James

LameDuck
22-11-2011, 18:03
Thanks for the Tips I'll have a look at them, may be an option :-)

doreen
22-11-2011, 18:39
My plan is to buy a big white van and slowly tour down through france and spain to cadiz, then ferry over. I will kit the van out inside as a basic living space and storage, so I can bring my "toyz" over. Then while I'm get established, can sleep in the van, if need be! Are there any issues in sleeping in the van, would it be classed as illegal camping, or as it's an ordinary looking van, would the boys in brown or blue just ignore it? Or would the UK plates just attract them?

Is busking legal in Tenerife? I was planning to do some busking, just to raise some cash in the early stages of my time on the island. Not a permanent option, would much rather have a more normal job, but don't mind what that is.

Could I get my van legal in Tenerife? I'll pick up a left hand drive one anyway and if I can get myself and my van legal, might be a way to make a living with that 2? Or is the island full of people doing the "man with a van" thing?

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

You will see camper vans around the South - considered illegal and often moved on - it's often a question of how vocal the neighbours/residents are.

Busking - illegal, I am afraid.

Man with a Van - possible, but better to be legal, which means paying out an Autonomo - self employed social security payment/fee - each month which is around 250 euros.

There's lots of info. on here about registering your van - there is a time scale after arriving (and registering as a resident ... which come to think of it, will be hard as you would not have an address ???)

MallorcaResiden
23-11-2011, 12:47
Hi Jim,

Getting out of London was the best thing I ever did. I have never regretted it and I would never change it.

I think that you will find the general Spanish ruling, regarding the length of time you can keep your van in Spain, will apply. I enquired about this some time ago and the following was supposed to be a good description of the legal side.
---------------------------------------------------------
(From http://www.mscinsure.com/faq/changeofplates.htm)

The legal period to drive a foreign registered vehicle in Spain is 180 days if you can prove you are not a resident. As of the 1st of January 08, the tax office class anybody who has been signed on the padron of more than 60 days a resident, if you are stopped by the police and you own a property in Spain you could be fined after 60 days even if you are not a resident. If you have not transferred your vehicle after 60 days of signing the padron you will pay import duty. If you can prove you are not a resident you can drive for the 180 days as long as you have a valid UK MOT, an up to date tax disk displayed and the necessary insurance.
---------------------------------------------------------
I hope this is of some help but again, this is only what I have been told, here.

All the best.

Peter

PS, the heading says Pleas don, it should read "Please don't take this as fact"

LameDuck
24-11-2011, 18:09
Great info Doreen and Peter. Sorry late answering, but had a couple of mad impetuous party nights. Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Somebody told me about a perm site in del selencio, that I can stick to my original plan, drag my van there and live in it. I can still get residency, an NIE and therefore transfer the car.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again guys

Jim

sunspot
24-11-2011, 21:18
Hi Jim, a very warm welcome to the forum,good luck with your future plans

tizzywizzy
24-11-2011, 21:32
have deleted message has put in wrong thread