PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth paying for Ryanair priority boarding

chocaholic
23-11-2011, 16:49
Is it worth paying for ryanair priorityboarding from tfs. It is only 5euros but read reviews that said waste of money! Would appreciate tenerife experiences

grumps
23-11-2011, 16:52
If u can get toward the front of the normal queue its no problem.

TOTO 99
23-11-2011, 16:53
Yes if you're a giant like me and need the legroom. Yes if you have kids / family you want to sit with.
No if neither of the above apply. :)

karinagal
23-11-2011, 16:58
I'd say that it depends on your reasons for wanting it. I take it as I have a preference for a seat towards the back of the plane. For me it takes a lot of stress off as it means even if I'm at the back of the priority q, I still manage to get what I want.

I would think that if you're travelling as a family with young children it's a prudent investment as you're more likely to get seats together. A lot of people get caught out by thinking that families with young children automatically get priority .... with Ryanair you only get what you pay for!!

Toto - you beat me to it!! :D

stevem
23-11-2011, 17:01
I take it as I have a preference for a seat towards the back of the plane.

Is that because you never see a plane reverse into a mountain? ;)

Joking aside, we only bother if we have our daughter with us. Otherwise I try and give Ryanair as little of my cash as possible!!

Greg
23-11-2011, 20:49
I have it because i enjoy the extra legroom the over the wing emergency exits give. Whats a fiver for four hours of comfort?

irishmusico
23-11-2011, 21:26
I never bother.My other half and I sit and wait till everyone else has boarded and then take whatever is left.Always manage to get sitting together,though sometimes its across the aisle.I can never understand why everyone starts queuing 40 minutes before the gate opens.Even the people on priority do this as well.

karinagal
23-11-2011, 21:58
Is that because you never see a plane reverse into a mountain? ;)

Actually...... there might be a small part of that which is true - planes don't often crash backwards!! :p The main reason for me is that most people gravitate to the front in the hope of getting off quicker (they might be slower with the stairs for the back door but it's seldom the other way around...)... so there's more chance of getting a row or extra seat if the plane is quiet..

And of course there is the added benefit of there being 2 toilets at the back and only one at the front...!

dokgolf
23-11-2011, 22:05
As Toto says above, only really necessary if you're bothered where you want to sis or if you have kids.

chocaholic
23-11-2011, 22:33
No kids, travelling by myself but gonna book it! Having read the ryanair 40 page thread lol what happened to several others regarding changing the gate numbers happened to me last year with jet2.com. Itwas literally everyone running from one end of the airport to the other, the gate was changed 4 times, the last time 5minutes before boarding and was an absolute shambles. This is Tenerife aiRport not the airline. rMy experienxe of Ryanair great as having booked flights with them to fly and then first being hit by the volcano and then by the wildcat strike ryanair swapped these flights Free of charge with no problems. As the flights out were now at a later date they also cganged the return dates free of charge to allow us the two weeks!

tfs1
10-01-2012, 12:21
Reserved seating for rows 1,2 16 and 17 now available for new bookings, cost £10/€ each seat/flight. Tried to add to my existing booking but not an option.

Sadly Ryanairs seat belts in row 16,17 can be a little too tight these days (no extensions allowed of course) but thought we would try row 2 and get early dart - now not an option - so row 26 or 27 it is and board by rear steps - I know my place !

karinagal
10-01-2012, 19:57
I was offered the option of reserving emergency exit seats today when I checked in online for flights we booked in June last year - maybe it will be offered to you at the online check in stage?

tfs1
10-01-2012, 21:05
thanks for the reply. At what stage did it offer reserved seating, just started the checkin process and go to the input of API etc and hadnt come up before then. I didnt go past API as I need to get passports etc. Currently in front of TV !

atlantico
10-01-2012, 21:42
This is a new one on my RyanAir travelling. On Sunday, we were about middle of queue when boarding aircraft and selected the first pair of seats we came to. The guy on the end said 'sorry, they're reserved', the next couple of rows down there was a woman sitting on isle seat with the E & F seat empty, 'they're taken' she said. This happened 4 TIMES ! We sat at about centre of plane, no problem. Right at the end of the queue the 'reserved' passengers entered, ALL wife and kids - I thought they were at least keeping them for elderly family ! Now if I was one of the last on and there were no other pairs of seats together I'd have kicked up a stink. A couple did try to get the hostess to allow them to sit down, but she also listened to the passenger already seated and said they were taken ! Bleedin' cheek !! So now 'Dad' is queuing while the rest of the family do some boozing/shopping and get on last !

karinagal
10-01-2012, 23:05
thanks for the reply. At what stage did it offer reserved seating, just started the checkin process and go to the input of API etc and hadnt come up before then. I didnt go past API as I need to get passports etc. Currently in front of TV !

It came up after the passport info bit and just before the pop-up offering hotels and the like!!!!!!!!

Added after 2 minutes:

This is a new one on my RyanAir travelling. On Sunday, we were about middle of queue when boarding aircraft and selected the first pair of seats we came to. The guy on the end said 'sorry, they're reserved', the next couple of rows down there was a woman sitting on isle seat with the E & F seat empty, 'they're taken' she said. This happened 4 TIMES ! We sat at about centre of plane, no problem. Right at the end of the queue the 'reserved' passengers entered, ALL wife and kids - I thought they were at least keeping them for elderly family ! Now if I was one of the last on and there were no other pairs of seats together I'd have kicked up a stink. A couple did try to get the hostess to allow them to sit down, but she also listened to the passenger already seated and said they were taken ! Bleedin' cheek !! So now 'Dad' is queuing while the rest of the family do some boozing/shopping and get on last !

I've seen this happening too... Mind you, it must be people that have bought the priority boarding at the airport instead of online as online you have to purchase it for everyone on the booking..

caroletenerife
11-01-2012, 02:07
This common now, it saves a lot of money if you have , say 6 people in your party. Only booking 2 priority then guarding the seats seems to be the order of the day. Dont worry, it wont be long before 'the boss' realises he is being 'had'. One thing he wont tolerate is losing a euro or two haha

gazza
11-01-2012, 09:25
They have been trying out prebooked seats on certain routes, with success, and are to introduce it to all routes this year sometime

Medman
11-01-2012, 09:51
This common now, it saves a lot of money if you have , say 6 people in your party. Only booking 2 priority then guarding the seats seems to be the order of the day. Dont worry, it wont be long before 'the boss' realises he is being 'had'. One thing he wont tolerate is losing a euro or two haha

It's pretty infuriating if you have paid the extra fee and someone who hasn't gets a "better" seat than you, ie one with extra legroom. We always pay the extra and apart from once have always managed to get the seats at the emergency exits. We occupy the window and middle seats to allow someone else to have the isle seat. So often we have been in our seats and the passengers in front sit on the isle and the middle and stick their bag on the window seat. Then later on some wee short arsed git appears and they both move over. If I was travelling alone and I had paid the extra fee, I would be taking that seat with the extra legroom! :angry: Selfish *******. Rant over and out.

tfs1
11-01-2012, 10:26
hi Gazza,

The option to reserved seating in rows 1,2,16 and 17 for all flights started yesterday. £10€ a seat/flight

Chris

Added after 2 minutes:

Medman,

For £10€ you can prebook / reverse a seat of your choice in rows 1,2,16 or 17 and get the actual seat you want.

Chris

SeanC
11-01-2012, 14:52
I never bother.My other half and I sit and wait till everyone else has boarded and then take whatever is left.Always manage to get sitting together,though sometimes its across the aisle.I can never understand why everyone starts queuing 40 minutes before the gate opens.Even the people on priority do this as well.

+1

Although I can fully understand why you'd book priority/reserved seats if you've the entire family travelling. The bit that always makes me chuckle is when folk start queueing and the aircraft isn't even at the stand or hasn't even landed yet! :lol:

intenerife
19-01-2012, 19:34
Ryanair have it right at last, Pre book seats 10 Euro's each way. Best option by far.

golf birdie
22-01-2012, 13:50
and for those who don't know, if your flight is delayed (not just ryan air) you are entitled to compensation from the airline. For example, if you are delayed 4 hours from Tenerife to the UK you are entitled to 400€ per passenger. I have added a link to explain it better;

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Tom & Sharon
22-01-2012, 14:18
Ryanair have it right at last, Pre book seats 10 Euro's each way. Best option by far.

It's not anywhere on the aircraft
I believe you can only book seats in rows 1 and 2 (12 seats in total) or rows 16 and 17 (Overwing emergency exits,12 seats in total) :c2:

They will not let you sit in those rows even if they are empty,i flew to Liverpool yesterday and some people asked to sit in them after take off but they were refused and they remained empty.

Tom

Goforgold
22-01-2012, 14:34

We do the same Irishmusico - whoever we fly with and whether we've paid to sit together. We wait until everyone has jostled and pushed and then get up at the last minute - no hassle :)

Added after 3 minutes:

and for those who don't know, if your flight is delayed (not just ryan air) you are entitled to compensation from the airline. For example, if you are delayed 4 hours from Tenerife to the UK you are entitled to 400€ per passenger. I have added a link to explain it better;

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

The only thing here is, if everyone gets wise to this and claims - the cost of flights will just increase ;)

kingbaker
22-01-2012, 16:20
I was offered the option of reserving emergency exit seats today when I checked in online for flights we booked in June last year - maybe it will be offered to you at the online check in stage?

Hi KG, I was checking in online on Fri last, and it gave me the option of picking a seat, and when I clicked on the seat...instead of it adding on £10, it just flicked to their plastic light-weight case thingy, without adding on the £10.
Anyway I dont really need the extra space as I'm not a muffin stuffer like some I could mention. So I still have the £10, to spend on '43' and 'Jagermister';)

cainaries
23-01-2012, 00:19
It's not anywhere on the aircraft
I believe you can only book seats in rows 1 and 2 (12 seats in total) or rows 16 and 17 (Overwing emergency exits,12 seats in total) :c2:

They will not let you sit in those rows even if they are empty,i flew to Liverpool yesterday and some people asked to sit in them after take off but they were refused and they remained empty.

Tom

I paid an 'upgrade' on another airline (not Ryanair but same principle applies) and was sitting in the upgrade row with one other passenger when some others moved into the remaining seats. Being a chippy so-and-so I asked the crew why I'd paid for the privilege and they let other people just use the seats. Reluctantly the crew asked the people to move back and I was the hated person on the flight. IMO if airlines are going to charge for certain rows they should protect the people who've paid the extra to use them not make them seem like real old misery guts. Perhaps I should have said, give me back my 35 quid and let them sit there ... what would you suggest?

golf birdie
23-01-2012, 10:14
The only thing here is, if everyone gets wise to this and claims - the cost of flights will just increase ;)

they did with ryan air last April its the 2€ per passenger, per flight called the EU261 levy. They are raking in the cash as an insurance yet people still don't know what it is for and very few claim.

Tom & Sharon
23-01-2012, 10:28
I paid an 'upgrade' on another airline (not Ryanair but same principle applies) and was sitting in the upgrade row with one other passenger when some others moved into the remaining seats. Being a chippy so-and-so I asked the crew why I'd paid for the privilege and they let other people just use the seats. Reluctantly the crew asked the people to move back and I was the hated person on the flight. IMO if airlines are going to charge for certain rows they should protect the people who've paid the extra to use them not make them seem like real old misery guts. Perhaps I should have said, give me back my 35 quid and let them sit there ... what would you suggest?

I think i'll fence sit on this one!!
I have myself jumped into the extra legroom seats on a Monarch (I think?) flight back to Manchester last year and was promptly turfed back out again and was slightly peived.
When the passengers asked on the Ryanair flight to sit in the reserved seats and their request was declined i felt somewhat smug.
I personally will either pay the extra or sit in my allocated seat in future.

Tom