PDA

View Full Version : Education TEFL Course leading to a job?

xSOLx
23-11-2011, 19:20
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help. My future plan is to move and live on the beautful Island of Tenerife.
I have grown up in the UK but of spanish parents and i am bi-lingual in Spanish and English.
I am thinking of doing a TEFL course to teach English abroad and i was wondering if anyone knows if this would help me get any type of teaching English/Spanish job in tenerife.

I have lived in Tenerife last year for 6 months and found it very difficult to get a job, so i want to go more prepared this time so i dont have to come back :(

rosemary
23-11-2011, 22:20
could you not apply to the language schools in tenerife, north or south? Ask for their advice. I would think with a TEFL diploma the world is your lobster!

bonitatime
23-11-2011, 22:24
I have a Canarian friend with a Masters in English who is struggling to find a job so you might find it hard.

Sombra
24-11-2011, 17:39
Hi! I speak very good Spanish and have 10 years TEFL experience and a Masters in secondary education and I have only managed to find part time teaching hours here and there (working a few hours in various different places) but it's very tough at the moment in all sectors, teaching included. There is much more chance of a TEFL job in the bigger cities like Madrid, Barcelona etc. I'd go there myself if my boyfriend weren't from here! I'm sure things will improve economically in the future but the unemployment rate here in the Canaries is sky high at the moment. Suerte de todos modos :)

KirstyJay
25-11-2011, 11:21
I have a TEFL and have been an English Language Assistant in State school for the past 5 years. I am currently not working because the Social Security say that our contracts with the Consejería de Educación have never been legal and therefore we can't work until the court case is settled. There are over 300 other language assistants all over the Canaries in exactly the same position as me, 133 of whom are in Tenerife, and all looking for work as English teachers. The majority of us are very well qualified, have years of experience working in the public sector, can get great references and have many contacts. Many are also bilingual or have a very high level of Spanish.

If that's not job saturation, then I don't know what is... Good luck, but I do not hold out much hope for you finding work in that field here at the moment... maybe in a few years. I would suggest trying out Thailand first. Apparently the pay's better there too :)