PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Meet Dennis

SuzyQ
24-11-2011, 01:19
Dennis was abandoned by the road in San Isidro just over a week ago. He has badly deformed feet on his right side, so i assume he was left there to die rather than the owners confront his health issues.
He was brought to Live Arico, a tiny scrap of just 8 weeks. I took him to the vet for their opinion and he stayed overnight. He has been with me since. He "walks" on his front elbow and back knee, but Cesar at Hospivet says he cannot live like this, because as he gets heavier and bigger the skin will rub away and become torn and infected.

Two options - put him to sleep or try something. Thank God Cesar wants to "try something" for his own experience and knowledge. Next Tuesday Dennis will undergo a three hour operation where the front leg will be pulled straight and a pin inserted into the bone from paw to shoulder. Then the leg will be bandaged straight and left for one month. Then we see. The back leg is worse and may have to be amputated, but not yet.
We have to try. He is so full of life, I just could not consider putting him to sleep. Its something we all say, "that dog should be put to sleep", but when the decision rests solely on your shoulders its not so easy.

Dennis came to the benefit on Sunday, and we met a lovely lady on holiday from the UK who wants to pay for his op. I am meeting her on Friday and am eternally grateful.

Also, someone I know told me about a vet she knows in England who is a world leader in animal orthopaedics. When I googled his name, Noel Fitzpatrick, I found out he is the Bionic Vet from the BBC programmes. Look at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUEraHGHvI
...its amazing. My friend is trying to contact him re dennis. At the very least we are hoping he will confer with Cesar. At this moment he is too young for this kind of op, but maybe in the future. I will keep you posted.

caroletenerife
24-11-2011, 01:40
Dennis was indeed gorgeous and a right wee character, Gerry (the lady you mentioned) appeared at the shop today with 'contraband' for the dogs, consisting of chicken breast and steak no less, for everyones information I had a cheese sandwich!!!!! She is a lovely lady and very interested in little Dennis's welfare. I hope Cesar can work his magic, I have seen the bionic Vet, he is amazing x

timmylish
24-11-2011, 01:54
It would be absolutely fantastic if the "mad Irishman" could be consulted on the operations for little Dennis. He look a little sweetie and, if all goes well, I,m sure that he would be eternally grateful for getting the use of two of his legs back again! Keep us posted, please.

julia44
24-11-2011, 06:10
Good luck to Dennis he is a cutie.
When I found my little Oscar he had a broken front paw and shoulder for about 4 years, Elier Gonzalez in Guia put a plate and screws in his shoulder then 2 months later a pin from his paw up through the bone to mend the other break. Both ops took over 3 hours each. Maybe your vet may want to talk to Elier as he did loads of research before operating.
The photo is after the first op ad can see how badly broken the bottom part of the paw was

SuzyQ
30-11-2011, 01:34
Well it was the big day today. Cesar spent 3 hours on Dennis, first the xrays, done on their new digital xray machine, showing the "elbow" on the front leg was completely rotated. His legs were broken, straightened, and pinned. It looks horrendous but Cesar was very pleased, as the joints are now in the correct position, and IF the back paw has to be amputated, then the leg will be right for one of the Bionic Vets prosthetics. The world leading clinic have agreed to offer free advice and Cesar is now sending the information and xray images across. Dennis the wonder dog.
Breaks my heart but it will be worth it in the end, to see him run on the beach. I havent put the op on Live Aricos account or funded it through Live Arico in any way. It was paid for by Gerry Connor, a lady we met by chance at a benefit. I am keeping her up to speed with his progress.

caroletenerife
30-11-2011, 02:53
Well it was the big day today. Cesar spent 3 hours on Dennis, first the xrays, done on their new digital xray machine, showing the "elbow" on the front leg was completely rotated. His legs were broken, straightened, and pinned. It looks horrendous but Cesar was very pleased, as the joints are now in the correct position, and IF the back paw has to be amputated, then the leg will be right for one of the Bionic Vets prosthetics. The world leading clinic have agreed to offer free advice and Cesar is now sending the information and xray images across. Dennis the wonder dog.
Breaks my heart but it will be worth it in the end, to see him run on the beach. I havent put the op on Live Aricos account or funded it through Live Arico in any way. It was paid for by Gerry Connor, a lady we met by chance at a benefit. I am keeping her up to speed with his progress.
Thats fantastic that it went well, we were all thinking and talking about him today in the shop. Gerry is a wonderful kind woman, who has shown great kindness not only to Denis but to Fasi, who she plied with ill gotten roast chicken and steak from her hotel buffet all of last week... it will take weeks to walk that lot off haha. Thats amazing about the bionic vet, he is a saint and we are so lucky to have him helping

carol & steve
01-12-2011, 00:37
Awww.....Dennis, hope you are soon feeling better, that picture just breaks my heart!!!

SuzyQ
01-12-2011, 00:48
Ah, well look at this!!! 28 hours after surgery and he´s walking, albeit clumsily, lol. Animals are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0vbMRpaPdQ&feature=BFa&list=ULjpwoHE9cRSM&lf=mfu_in_order

Indigo
01-12-2011, 10:34
hes sooooo adorable!! glad its all gone well :)

timmylish
01-12-2011, 16:04
Great, wonderful progress. The resilience of life comes to the surface yet again. I so look forward to the day when all the work, care and attention (with a bit of help from the wee dug himself!) results in this wee animal getting around on his own 3 legs plus another!

SuzyQ
13-12-2011, 02:58
Just a little Dennis update. he pulled the pin out of his back leg on Saturday, but Cesar says the bone had set so no problem. Hes going to the vet on Wednesday, the front leg caliper may come out, but Im so nervous the leg will not be strong enough yet. hes walking a bit, well kind of, he falls over a lot. But other than all that, hes fantastic, love him so much.

caroletenerife
13-12-2011, 03:10
I concur!!! He was giving me a nervous breakdown today, he was so determined that he could walk like a big boy. Animals just dont understand the concept of self pity, hes lovely x

Suej
13-12-2011, 10:50
Just a little Dennis update. he pulled the pin out of his back leg on Saturday, but Cesar says the bone had set so no problem. Hes going to the vet on Wednesday, the front leg caliper may come out, but Im so nervous the leg will not be strong enough yet. hes walking a bit, well kind of, he falls over a lot. But other than all that, hes fantastic, love him so much.

Aww he´s adorable! Pulling his pins out!Woah! He´s sounds like he´s just a determined little dog and I bet he´ll soon be running around! Thanks for the update!:)

SuzyQ
16-12-2011, 01:23
Dennis had the front pin out today, under sedation. We have to do a bit of physio on the paw to coax it into the right position, and also the shoulder, but really, considering how he was, its amazing what Cesar has done. Letting him walk on the beach, and also some swimming has been recommended. He needs xrays next week to see where we are. The paw on the back leg has righted itself and he is walking, well hobbling on the pad itself, rather than the overturned paw, so again, this is good. hes a little star, love him. x

caroletenerife
16-12-2011, 01:49
It would be nice if he could make a V.I.D flying visit to Iceland x

SuzyQ
16-12-2011, 01:57
Now theres an idea. Ill think on that. Ive bought him a xmas jumper, he could wear that, lol x