PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you can't pay timeshare maintenance fees?

princessmonika
25-11-2011, 11:43
if you own a timeshare and you cannot pay the charges, what will happen.

can you give it back, will they come after you for the money?

a friend of mine has this problem.

can someone help. how do you get out of that ? just not pay , but also not use the place you have the timeshare in?

Angusjim
25-11-2011, 12:27
if you own a timeshare and you cannot pay the charges, what will happen.

can you give it back, will they come after you for the money?

a friend of mine has this problem.

can someone help. how do you get out of that ? just not pay , but also not use the place you have the timeshare in?

Is it points or actual weeks at a specific resort ?

princessmonika
25-11-2011, 12:28
weeks --what is the difference? it is in player las americas--

Angusjim
25-11-2011, 12:48
weeks --what is the difference? it is in player las americas--

The main difference is points are impossible to sell there is a big thread somewhere about this with Dicko being the main contributor and weeks are very very difficult to sell or even give away. Have they called to find out if they will accept them back? I have my weeks for sale thru Timeshare Hypermarket ( well really FOC ) and after 18 months may have someone to take 1 of the weeks although I really want them to take both weeks ( weeks 1 and 52 ) which are good weeks at new year time.

Stoney
25-11-2011, 13:09
If you know what the charges are and at what complex suggest you put it on the Forum, amazing what the people on here can help with, I know a few people in the UK who have timeshares and come here 3 times a year, so I could pass on the details to them.

Doggy
25-11-2011, 13:42
Just ditch it.......It should be renamed T(Cr)imeshare. Your just paying big wedge for a cleaning contract.

bonitatime
25-11-2011, 14:09
In the past many resorts would take the weeks back but this is less of an option right now. Read your original contract and see what is says about non-payment.
If you tell us which resort it is someone might be able to help you more.

princessmonika
25-11-2011, 14:25
well thank you i will pass it on to mark, and f he wants to give more detail , so be it-- at the moment he has not payed for a few years -- they take holidays in an other apartment and pay by the week -- they have there place for 20 years he told me the first 10 years where good, but the community payments got higher every year, so it is cheaper to get a nice 4 weeks for that money then 2--anyway thank god i don't have one-- they tried to talk me into it in the 60s -- crimeshare is the word:whistle:

timmylish
25-11-2011, 14:43
I shall ignore the ludicrous aspersions cast on a product, which for some people is perfect for them, and if you want real advice I would ask that you refrain from further making such comment.
Turning to the matter in hand. Name of resort. What the clients actually want. At that stage I may give your "friends" proper advice.
btw. If indeed you are Irish I can assure you that most resorts would not have wanted you as clients, anyway!

princessmonika
25-11-2011, 14:47
thank god for that--- anyway i will pass it on to him and if he wants he can mail you i am glad you are happy-- have a good life--

Angusjim
25-11-2011, 15:18
Maybe timeshare companies will start to "take back" properties and start just renting them out especially if the illegal letting purge continues, most timeshare complexes are far far superior to 99% of the "legal" self catering prison cell blocks in Tenerife.:tiphat:

princessmonika
25-11-2011, 15:44
yes i have to say, they are kept very well, but also the maintenance fee is very high, so they can do a lot more

Angusjim
25-11-2011, 15:46
yes i have to say, they are kept very well, but also the maintenance fee is very high, so they can do a lot more

Not all mine is not too bad at £350 per week (especially for New Year time )

princessmonika
25-11-2011, 15:52
thats a very good price -- yes it depends on the complex -- but times are hard, so people find it more difficult now-- hopefully times get better again--

Angusjim
25-11-2011, 16:20
Not all mine is not too bad at £350 per week (especially for New Year time )

So come on folks grab your self a bargain PM me if your interested in taking this off my hands. Only genuine enquiers please, no time wasters :whistle:

Balcony
25-11-2011, 17:44
Ensure you understand that timeshare is a COST not an investment.

To the O/P your friend should understand that no matter what opinions rattle around about timeshare your friend has contracted with the timeshare developers. Maybe they are doing nothing right now, but maybe once the sum to be paid has nicely accumulated (for them) they will decide to enforce the contract. If he doesn't want to maintain his contract then he should talk to the developers about cancelling the contract, or doing whatever he can to sell. Like many things, they can often come along at a most inoprtune time and bite you in the bum!

Angusjim
26-11-2011, 08:51
So come on folks grab your self a bargain PM me if your interested in taking this off my hands. Only genuine enquiers please, no time wasters :whistle:

Admin can you check my PM facility no replies yet surely thay can't be correct lol

Peterrayner
26-11-2011, 09:18
Maybe timeshare companies will start to "take back" properties and start just renting them out especially if the illegal letting purge continues,

Not sure thats possible if they sell off the units privately although if they retain 100% ownership and all the facilities are already in place ie reception area, lifeguards, fire alarms, etc etc then they could appoint a sole letting agent and apply for a tourisitc licence which in these circumstances could it would appear not be denied. Then they could sell individual units to private owners perhaps.

Red Devil
26-11-2011, 11:33
I shall ignore the ludicrous aspersions cast on a product, which for some people is perfect for them, and if you want real advice I would ask that you refrain from further making such comment.
Turning to the matter in hand. Name of resort. What the clients actually want. At that stage I may give your "friends" proper advice.
btw. If indeed you are Irish I can assure you that most resorts would not have wanted you as clients, anyway!

Have I read that last paragraph correctly??

princessmonika
26-11-2011, 11:41
yes, he does not like the irish, by the look of it-- sad:devil:

Angusjim
26-11-2011, 12:16

I would not think that is the case as Timmy is a big Celtic man !!

princessmonika
26-11-2011, 12:17
well he wrote it--there was no need to say that, since not everybody likes timeshare products--

timmylish
26-11-2011, 22:56
Pot calls the kettle etc etc. Little bit hot under the collar? Don,t like it then don,t make statements which, frankly, are unnecessary (I could use language which does not benefit this Forum,s standing).

Andy0210
26-11-2011, 23:32
If indeed you are Irish I can assure you that most resorts would not have wanted you as clients, anyway!

Have I read that last paragraph correctly??

I“m sure thats not quite true, the reason is actually most of the larger timeshare companies won“t tour people from Southern Ireland at all, Northern Irish are normally given what is called a Courtesy Tour which means the company doesn“t class them as a proper opportunity to sell something to but will take a chance and it doesn“t count against the salesmans sales stats.

Angusjim
27-11-2011, 09:34
Not sure thats possible if they sell off the units privately although if they retain 100% ownership and all the facilities are already in place ie reception area, lifeguards, fire alarms, etc etc then they could appoint a sole letting agent and apply for a tourisitc licence which in these circumstances could it would appear not be denied. Then they could sell individual units to private owners perhaps.

Peter at the moment at my resort they are renting out weeks thru at least one small travel agent at the same time people with points are being told sorry resort is full. I have booked 3 additional apartment thru this firm for my kids at new year and it is costing around 150 / 170 euros more than the weekly maintainence fees for owners so they already have a system to rent out and could expand this.

Peterrayner
27-11-2011, 09:47
Peter at the moment at my resort they are renting out weeks thru at least one small travel agent at the same time people with points are being told sorry resort is full. I have booked 3 additional apartment thru this firm for my kids at new year and it is costing around 150 / 170 euros more than the weekly maintainence fees for owners so they already have a system to rent out and could expand this.

Yes apparently so

http://www.tenerifeholidayrentals.net/hollywood_mirage_tenerife.htm

Not sure how the fit within the 1995 Letting Law ??? Clearly they are letting to "tourists" but seem exempt the sole agent requirments.

My brother has rented an apartment privately in the past at over 500e per week.

timmylish
28-11-2011, 02:07
Aye we,,. Resort Properties are and always have been a law unto themselves.

dotty1
28-11-2011, 09:38
I can only speak from my own experience. I had 2 times shares of 2 weeks each . I bought an apartment here in 2004 so had no need for them, although I have to say I had a very good 10 years using them all over the United States and spain.
Giving them back is another story. 2 weeks I was able to give back with no problem , the other 2 weeks the other company would not accept as they had a deed with them, in the end they did but with a cost to me of £1,000 for solicitors etc., It was worth it. So I would say it depends on the company they are with.