PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a British or Spanish passport for my baby in Tenerife?

missSJ
25-11-2011, 13:27
Hi,
I´m going to have a baby over here in Tenerife, and i was wondering which passport i should take for the baby. Are there advantages of taking the Uk passport or not. Should i take the spanish? (i imagine that it´s cheaper) Has anyone else been thinking about this?
Thanks for any advice!

bonitatime
25-11-2011, 14:16
It is not so easy. If your child is born here they then need to be resident for two years. Then you need to accumulate all the papers needed and apply for nationality.
There is a discussion about this somewhere.

tonypub
25-11-2011, 14:28
go for british.the spanish one may be a german one soon:eyebrows:

TenerifeTeddy
25-11-2011, 21:14
Are you likeley to want to live in Britain again in the future, if you give your child Spanish nationality they will be an alien in the UK.

Also I don´t know if there is still conscripted military service in Spain, but if so then when 18 years old he/she would be expected to complete that service. Which might come as quite a shock if they come out here on holiday and get detained in order to complete the compulsory conscription.
You may laugh, but I know someone that happend to in Cyprus.

admin
25-11-2011, 22:04
if your british,and your HUSBANDS british,then the baby is british,it dont matter where it is born..and unless you change yourself to spanish,the child will have to appy when they are 18 for qa spanish passport...i know loads of kids been here all their lives,none of them are spanish....the south americans you see here are spanish...their grandparents went to say venazula in 1935,and had,kids,who they registed at the spanish embassy and got a spanish passport.....dont take my word for it ring the consulate

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/find-an-embassy/europe/consulate-santa-cruz-de-tenerife

I can confirm this is correct. A child can only have Spanish nationality if ONE of the parents is Spanish. This may change if Spain leave the European Union, but until then, nationality within European states is not considered important, as there are roaming rights, so the child takes the nationality of the parents.

marbro8
25-11-2011, 22:27
Are you likeley to want to live in Britain again in the future, if you give your child Spanish nationality they will be an alien in the UK.

Also I don´t know if there is still conscripted military service in Spain, but if so then when 18 years old he/she would be expected to complete that service. Which might come as quite a shock if they come out here on holiday and get detained in order to complete the compulsory conscription.
You may laugh, but I know someone that happend to in Cyprus.judging by the antics of some of todays youths that isn't a bad thing:eyebrows:

ladybird
26-11-2011, 10:05
my daughter had her baby here and had the same discussion about passports and came to the conclusion to have a british passport which is deffinatly the right desision .good luck with the baby x

Indigo
28-11-2011, 16:50
Apparently it can be quite a long process to get a british passport too if your baby is born over here. There are people i know who are now going back to uk for the birth of their second child as it was such a headache last time.

TIS
28-11-2011, 22:01
Apparently it can be quite a long process to get a british passport too if your baby is born over here. There are people i know who are now going back to uk for the birth of their second child as it was such a headache last time.
Totally disagree - getting a British passport for a child born here was really easy. The only issue we had was the idiot at the registry office spelt our son's name wrong, but thankfully the people doing the passports usedsome common sense and it was done and returned to us with 14 days! It is just expensive. All forms can be downloaded completed and sent off yourself, no need to pay for somebody to do it for you.

ali marshall
28-11-2011, 22:33
When my son was born here and me and my partner had been living here 4 years,we was only offered the nationality of the parents,both of us are residents but they did not offer spanish nationality for the child.

Our son took my nationality british and to get his passport was very very easy from madrid and proberly took less than 2 weeks.Good luck and to be honest i would give birth to your child in the north in candaleria rather than the green hospital,ias they refused to give me any pain relief and i have heard nothing but praises for candelaria.

missSJ
29-11-2011, 14:43
Thank you, you´ve all been very helpful. Thank you Ali, But i´m going to try to be super brave & have my baby at the green clinic, as i only live 2 minutes away & i had my first baby in the Uk without problems. So fingers crossed! But i know there´s no plain relief!

lozzie1821
02-12-2011, 01:22
the only way your child is elligable for a spanish passport straight away is if the FATHER is of spanish nationality... OR the child is a spanish resident +2 years.
My daughter may aswell be canarian but as it goes i am british so so is she..

i had my daughter here and looked into this and a few of my spanish guardia civil friends all told me the same thing...

Added after 2 minutes:

Thank you, you´ve all been very helpful. Thank you Ali, But i´m going to try to be super brave & have my baby at the green clinic, as i only live 2 minutes away & i had my first baby in the Uk without problems. So fingers crossed! But i know there´s no plain relief!

I had my daughter there & i cant fault them at all :) I did it all naturally too ;) x