PDA

View Full Version : Travel Herbal Sedation for Dogs .......

Pets@Home
27-11-2011, 12:44
Hi I am in need of a little help please. I send back dogs and cats to the UK for owners. Have sent back on the old system 8 dogs and cats, and have 19 ready to go in January, once the law has changed, most on flight shares .....

PROBLEM .......

You are not allowed to sedate an animal when it is flying, at all. I have this one dog, mini poodle, which I am having for 5 months. The first day she arrived, she was stressed out. Further on in the evening she got worse and then her tongue turned blue. Rushed her down to the vets and they gave her cortisone injections and she stayed on 100% oxygen overnight. After completing a Heart Xray, Blood Tests, and Ultra Sound of the Heart, it turns out that she was born with a condition, whereby when she is super stressed, her breathing would become laboured, to the point of stopping her abiltiy to breath.

I cannot send her home, 9 hours in a cage, without giving her something to make her sleep, or to take the edge off. She is due to fly 24th January to LGW along with a cat and 2 other dogs.

Does anyone know of a herbal tablet I can give her pre flight to make her relax and hopefully a little dopey so she will sleep most of the Journey. I wont send her until I am convinced she will survive the journey ...... has anyone had experience of this, what did they use??????

I want to find something and to start practicing putting her in the cage, she will fly in, and keep her there, and build the hours up. At the moment she can go only for one hour, then she gets stressed, so have to find something for her ......

MANY THANKS ......

sazzle
27-11-2011, 14:06
Hi there, dont know of anything off the top of my head but someone from here http://www.petforums.co.uk/ may be able to help. There are some good reviews on here too about Thundershirts. They are supposed to help immensely with stressed out dogs. Hope you get sorted, will drop you a message if I hear of anything in the meantime.

karinagal
27-11-2011, 15:53
Hi I am in need of a little help please. I send back dogs and cats to the UK for owners. Have sent back on the old system 8 dogs and cats, and have 19 ready to go in January, once the law has changed, most on flight shares .....

PROBLEM .......

You are not allowed to sedate an animal when it is flying, at all. I have this one dog, mini poodle, which I am having for 5 months. The first day she arrived, she was stressed out. Further on in the evening she got worse and then her tongue turned blue. Rushed her down to the vets and they gave her cortisone injections and she stayed on 100% oxygen overnight. After completing a Heart Xray, Blood Tests, and Ultra Sound of the Heart, it turns out that she was born with a condition, whereby when she is super stressed, her breathing would become laboured, to the point of stopping her abiltiy to breath.

I cannot send her home, 9 hours in a cage, without giving her something to make her sleep, or to take the edge off. She is due to fly 24th January to LGW along with a cat and 2 other dogs.

Does anyone know of a herbal tablet I can give her pre flight to make her relax and hopefully a little dopey so she will sleep most of the Journey. I wont send her until I am convinced she will survive the journey ...... has anyone had experience of this, what did they use??????

I want to find something and to start practicing putting her in the cage, she will fly in, and keep her there, and build the hours up. At the moment she can go only for one hour, then she gets stressed, so have to find something for her ......

MANY THANKS ......

When I was travelling to and from Stranraer regularly with our greyhound, she used to get stressed and travel sick. At first, we used travel sickness tablets and gave her the child dosage. By chance, I met another greyhound owner and asked her for advice and she told me that she used Bach's Rescue Remedy drops on her dogs. I tried it on ours and a few drops on her tongue before travelling and she seemed much better. Worth a try?