PDA

View Full Version : Newly Retired.

Margaretta
28-11-2011, 00:27
I so looked forward to retiring and am very lucky as we have our home in the Uk and an apartment here in Tenerife. We have a lovely daughter and I've just learned to Skype her so she seems to be with us wherever we are.
We have our health and a lot of good friends, time for hobbies and interests....sounds great. It's ideal.
But I can't stop feeling guilty about this sort of selfish existence. In our situation of travelling to and fro it is difficult to attach oneself to groups or societies.
A friend has just stayed with us and we took her to all the wonderful places we know and love in Tenerife and appreciated the island all over again.
I've worked more or less full time all my life but the guilt just won't go away. I have loads to do and am depressed that there are only a few useful years left. It's like a countdown. Is this common to the newly retired? Or am I just adjusting to my new status? Uusually a cheery, busy sort but have this cloud which won't blow away. All advice readily accepted.....

anto3
28-11-2011, 00:47
Just enjoy each day.Look at the 102 old woman who went to live in New Zealand last week. Anyway i keep away from people who moan and make me feel old.Last week someone said if you are 60 you are in gods waiting room. Got drunk that day so if god wants to carry me that is okay with me. We are lucky people who can either live here or come and go

Margaretta
28-11-2011, 00:53
:hi:Well Anto3, you've made me feel lots better. Keep away from aging moaners? Great idea....off clubbing RIGHT NOW!!!:wink2:

Stoney
28-11-2011, 00:54
If you are feeling that restless, go to your nearest charity shop and ask if you could do some volunteer work for them. Or just be patient you will soon find that there aren't enough hours in the day to enjoy yourself.

kieraj
28-11-2011, 01:06
Enjoy every moment you have with your health, my dad is 78 and he has enjoyed his retirement up till now and has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, he is devastated as he loves going on hols etc and now he can't. Please don't feel guilty you deserve a happy retirement, people who have never worked and live off the taxes we pay, live quite happily retired at 30 etc and continue to enjoy their holidays and their new cars on dla. How old are you 'a few useful years left' you mention a daughter I am sure she feels you have a bit more than a few years left. I work in care and 2 of our residents were 95 today ! and have been retired for 30 years ! and they are very active in fact Albert got jiggy with bella who was 100 last May x

Peterrayner
28-11-2011, 09:38
Margaret you know my circumstances I think. So my advice is just to cherish each day and get the maximumout of it.

Dont worry to much about the tomorrows what will be will be and rthere isnt much you can do about it really.

princessmonika
28-11-2011, 09:39
good on you-- have fun- life is for living

Sundowner
28-11-2011, 16:38
You should feel guilty! How selfish of you to retire when there are people on benefits who are depending on hardworking people like you to keep them in comfort! And what about the poor illegal immigrant who is thinking of coming to the U.K.! If hard working people keep retiring it will soon not be worth their while coming here :cheeky:

So do the right thing and get back to work and don’t take one job take 2 so they can put the benefits up for all the poor people who are unable to work because they are lazy g*ts.

p.s. Enjoy your retirement :wink2:

Suej
28-11-2011, 16:59
I so looked forward to retiring and am very lucky as we have our home in the Uk and an apartment here in Tenerife. We have a lovely daughter and I've just learned to Skype her so she seems to be with us wherever we are.
We have our health and a lot of good friends, time for hobbies and interests....sounds great. It's ideal.
But I can't stop feeling guilty about this sort of selfish existence. In our situation of travelling to and fro it is difficult to attach oneself to groups or societies.
A friend has just stayed with us and we took her to all the wonderful places we know and love in Tenerife and appreciated the island all over again.
I've worked more or less full time all my life but the guilt just won't go away. I have loads to do and am depressed that there are only a few useful years left. It's like a countdown. Is this common to the newly retired? Or am I just adjusting to my new status? Uusually a cheery, busy sort but have this cloud which won't blow away. All advice readily accepted.....

It sounds to me like you have withdrawal symtoms from having worked all your life! so say to yourself everyday "It´s my time now and I´m going to make the most of it and enjoy every minute, do what I want when I want! that cloud will soon disappear and the sun will come out for you! you need to give yourself time to adjust!! have a wonderful retirement!!!:goodluck:

Su1
28-11-2011, 19:14
I have recently retired and am loving it! I worked full time all my working life, and even only had 4 months off when my son was born, so I do NOT feel guilty about my retirment, as like you I have worked hard for it.
What I did get fed up of was 'colleagues' saying its OK for you - you've got a good pension........you've got a place in Tenerife etc. What they fail to realise is that perhaps they only worked part-time and for not as long .Other colleagues said I'd get bored...not a bit...I'm enjoying every day- you don't know what is round the corner, currently I have good health, as does my husband...long may the fun continue!!!! Don't feel depressed or guilty Margaretta there are others just like you.

Goforgold
28-11-2011, 22:02
Margaretta, you have nothing to feel guilty about. You have worked long and very hard in a difficult profession, your husband has worked hard too and you both deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labours. As Peter says cherish each day and get the maximum out of it, in any way you enjoy. :)

warbey
28-11-2011, 22:22
We were brought up to work and feel guilty if We didnt.
Make the most of it because something will come along to use Your talents and knowhow.
Its a different waiting room You are in.

Example.
A certain Person who is a Member gets calls for help from People literally on Their Beam Ends
He responds, because thats what He is good at
You wait and see

Margaretta
28-11-2011, 23:19
What wonderful people out there! These replies are absolutely marvellous and have made me laugh, cry and think! Maybe that's the trouble....been thinking too much because there isn't the buzz of work and whirl of many people old and young that has happened around me all my working life.
Yes, I am trying to balance time for family, helping people via charities (as suggested...I do that quietly), being useful, clearing and organising and creating. It could also be a matter of suddenly not having a timetable and filling time productively and fairly, I can't bear to waste time; as one poster said, we were brought up that one should use every moment, not wasting talent or abilities either.
Well, I'll endeavour to lose the guilt, hope that time passes very slowly, spend my pension lavishly and make sure myfuture zimmer will have tinsel and klaxons and that I'll still be commuting between UK and Tenerife at 106....if Easyjet survives that long!!! Thank you so much.....chilling now!

DaveRF
28-11-2011, 23:32
Just enjoy every moment Margaretta and enjoy your new found freedom. As for clubbing..............when you coming to visit. You did promise when we spoke recently and we'll take you out in Newcastle. Just remember "No coats allowed" :laugh:

Margaretta
29-11-2011, 12:55
Haha! The Angel of the North is getting on a bit and by all accounts is far more rusty than I! We'll teach her how to fly in the Newcastle clubs although I may need an osteopath the next day!!!!xx

ladybird
30-11-2011, 00:36
hi margaretta, hope you remember me from whey back at our b,b,q.in parque de la reina ,well hubby just retired and loving every minute of it ,he worked another 2 years but it started to take its toll ,hopefully he comes from a long living lifeline .dad was 94 and mum was 102 when they died hope he follows suit ,im only working part time but really enjoy feeling usefull as they dont retire there women here till they are 65 ,enjoy your retirement to the full xxx