PDA

View Full Version : Education Wingate School, Cabo Blanco, Tenerife.

jimlgr
28-11-2011, 23:05
Hi everyone
We are relocating next year and wondered if any member has kids at Wingate school past or present as we are thinking of enrolling our two (13) girl + (16) boy
We have visited the web site and reviews but would like to hear from parents of students. We are planning to visit in March and June with a view to possible September move in time for next intake.
Any information would be of great help
thanks
Jimlgr

Jackie
29-11-2011, 00:02
We moved here when my youngest son was in his last year of education (15) so really had no choice but to send him to an English school...there were two here at the time, Wingate and Britannia, we chose Wingate. Now you only have Wingate and at the ages of your children in my opinion they are too old to start a Spanish school this far in their education. Some people love Wingate, some hate it. Me, I am just glad my son was only there for a year, and the reason is because obviously it is a business before it is a school and this shone through before anything else, do NOT think for one minute it is like a Private School in the UK. I have other reasons as to why I personally disliked the school and would be happy to answer any questions by PM. I don't know if you are aware of the fees but for the ages of your children you are probably looking at 3,000 euros per term for them both give or take, and there are 3 terms per year.

jimlgr
29-11-2011, 12:01
Thanks for your speedy reply Jackie
I'll be in touch when i get back from work

lozzie1821
29-11-2011, 21:01
i was a student at wingate if that helps out at all xx

MaxineC
01-12-2011, 18:51
I sent my son to Wingate, he was just coming up 13 when he started and stayed there until he finished his A levels at 18... He blossomed there, and is now in his 3rd year of Uni... I highly recommend it!

jimlgr
02-12-2011, 00:27
Thanks Maxine
We need all the help we can get to make this decision,your comments are very helpful to us.
jimlgr

chrissy
21-02-2012, 00:14
Hi just been browsing and came across your thread, just wondered how you are getting on with a school for your children and whether you have chosen Wingates, if so what process you had to go through. We are looking to move over July/August and have a (will be) 8 yr old daughter we have been looking at Wingates and are going over April to look at the school. Any advice and comments would be most welcome.

slodgedad
21-02-2012, 00:23
My daughter spent 11 years there and loved it.

9 O Levels and 2 As

SuzyQ
21-02-2012, 03:19
IMO its a great school. Our son was there from 3 years old until just a year ago when he completed juniors and we just couldnt carry on with the fees. We moved him into Spanish school and he absolutley loves it, but he was born here and well on the way with the language. I am impressed with the standard of work in the Spanish system. Go with whats right for your child. You cant do any more.

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 10:00
It's a school based on good old fashioned values. They teach the kids the curriculum well but just as important they reinforce the values of respect for elders, self discipline, personal responsibility and caring for others. Imagine a good British school about 35 years ago and that is it.

Some might say it's a business first and a school second. I don't believe that at all and from the top down all I see is very committed and dedicated staff. Most of the people you speak to about Wingate have positive things to say.

Learning Spanish is a bit slower because the language at school is English. However, they have a lot of Spanish lessons and they do learn the language eventually.

You do need to apply early as many of the classes have waiting lists.

Good luck with your choice.

fesdie
21-02-2012, 11:26
Hi, We are moving out in a few months and have a place for our 10 year old son at Wingate. We initially contacted the school at the beginning of November last year via email. The head teacher rang and had a chat with me and asked if we could go out for a visit which we did at the end of November. My son had to sit an informal exam with the head of the juniors whilst I was taken on a tour of the school by the head teacher. He was very helpful and informative.
At the end of the visit they said they were happy to take our son but were full and he was placed onto the waiting list which you pay 60 euros to do.
I was contacted at the end of December to say that a place had come up and did we want to pay half the fees from January until September to secure the place.
We have done this and as we have paid half the fees are now considering bringing our move forward.
Throughout the whole process I have been in email contact with the school and have found them to be very helpful.
Hope this helps.

jimlgr
21-02-2012, 20:25
Hi Crissy
We are coming over in the first week of April ( half term )
We have spoken to the school , and have arranged a visit during the week that we are there .
The lady that we spoke to on the phone said that she would be there all week to show us around. We are still planning to leave these shores either September 2012 , or early summer 2013. W are almost in a position to start packing . I will let you know how we get on .

chrissy
21-02-2012, 20:41
Hi jimlgr
We have also booked to come over first week of April (half term) and are in the process of contacting them for an appt. I dont know whether we have left it too late now for my daughter to be accepted for this sept but hope not. I have read different views on Wingates on this forum, they are very mixed. I thought a british school might be best for her to settle in as she knows no Spanish and will be 8 in July. How old is your son/daughter?

Added after 6 minutes:

Hi fesdie
How come you had to pay half of 9months fees? Is it in advance for Sept to reserve a place, then he can start Sept?

fesdie
21-02-2012, 22:24
Hi, yes we originally had planned for our son to start school in Sept. we didn't want to run the risk of not securing the place so chose to pay but this does mean he has a place now so can start anytime.

Madre
22-02-2012, 01:06
Excellent school, We have 2 children here 15 & 16 both doing very well and have been here for 6 years. Cannot praise the teachers enough. 3 cheers for Mr. Green on this very succesful school that does care about its students and puts them first. Also fees here are still much cheaper than in the uk.

charlote
28-02-2012, 12:47
Hello! we just moved in tenerife 2 weeks ago, we are french, our son is fluent english he was going to a canadian school in the caribbean, he started school yesterday and look very happy, others kids are very nice to him, the teacher too.
I like it. He´s in year 4 (8 1/2 years old).:hello:

Graceylacey
28-02-2012, 12:57
I personally took my daughter out of Wingate. I found it very unlike a private school and was a business more than a school. I have since found out that some teachers are not even qualified teachers.

Simon-M
28-02-2012, 14:38
I personally took my daughter out of Wingate. I found it very unlike a private school and was a business more than a school. I have since found out that some teachers are not even qualified teachers.

Why don't you share the names of the teachers that are not qualified with us otherwise people might just think your post is a little bitter.

fesdie
28-02-2012, 15:00

As I already have a place for my son to start at Wingate in September it would be very helpful if you could elaborate on your statement about unqualified teachers.
Thanks

golf birdie
28-02-2012, 18:27
unqualified carpenters, unqualified motor mechanic's, unqualified plumbers, unqualified chefs, unqualified electricians, unqualified doctors, unqualified teachers, welcome to Tenerife;)

mossy
28-02-2012, 21:01
[QUOTE=I have since found out that some teachers are not even qualified teachers.[/QUOTE]

I suppose a simple email to the school could clear it up,also what's more important is how do Wingate's results compare to other schools.

fesdie
28-02-2012, 21:49
unqualified carpenters, unqualified motor mechanic's, unqualified plumbers, unqualified chefs, unqualified electricians, unqualified doctors, unqualified teachers, welcome to Tenerife;)

Thanks for that, it was as useful as the original post by gracylacey!!:lol:

Madre
28-02-2012, 22:19
Fesdie if you are concerned ring the school, my children are doing very well my daughter straight A stars in her IGCSE exams , could she really achieve that with unqualified teachers I think not!

Muppet
28-02-2012, 22:32
It is often the case that teachers in private schools are not qualified - same in the UK, so it is likely to be the case - doesn't mean they can't teach of course....

Jelly Baby
28-02-2012, 22:34
Fesdie if you are concerned ring the school, my children are doing very well my daughter straight A stars in her IGCSE exams , could she really achieve that with unqualified teachers I think not!

My eldest has 10 IGCSE´s A stars and A´s and has achieved four AS Levels all at A grade. The A levels are in a couple of months. My youngest is doing really well too.

As Madre has stated, if you have concerns raise them with the school. If you bounce between pro and anti Wingate parents you will drive yourself nuts!

Loaded
28-02-2012, 22:41
Let's face it you have no choice. Your kids aren't going to learn Spanish overnight so sending
Them to a Spanish school is going to de-rail their education for a couple of years at least - at their age they don't need that.

I was a student there and I never had any problems, the teachers were always good and mr green is an excellent headmaster.

Maybe you can't compare it with a private school in the Uk but it's still a good school that tries to instil good values.

4 or 5 years ago was the 25th anniversary of wingate and the amount of ex pupils that came from near and far to attend speaks volumes about the place.

Only draw back is the price!

fesdie
28-02-2012, 22:45
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. I'm not really concerned about my decision having spoken with Mr Green several times, visited the school, seen their results and heard so many good reports such as yours. I just get annoyed when a fairly contentious statement is made without any back up.

miss_purple
15-05-2013, 21:43
Hi Everyone

I am planning a move with my 3 children, my daughter (11) will be attending wingate and my son (9) will be attending callao learning centre until a place becomes avilable at wingate. are there any other parents who have children on the waiting lists or any thing they can report that would be helpful. possible travel arrangements etc?

any information would be much appreciated

Sam