PDA

View Full Version : Charity Notice Live Arico Information and news

SuzyQ
29-05-2011, 13:13
Hey :)
You all know me :D But thought I would start all this afresh, since we have a new shiny forum. I´ll start with a few facts and figures about where we are at this moment in time etc etc.

We are situated in Atogo, up from the airport, if you get to the ostrich farm you´ve gone too far and maybe captured and executed as an example to other LA supporters. Sorry, only joking (I hope!!) We are renting the land but currently in negotiations of buying it. A proyecto is with the Ayuntamiento as we are working towards legalisation.

We have around 380 dogs at the moment. We have around 100 podencos, the poor unwanted hunting dogs who are unlikely to ever be homed, but they can live out their days with us in safety. Although we rehome many dogs, the problem is endless, and the police of numerous Ayuntamientos still call Eugene about abandoned dogs despite no legal agreements being signed. We are still owed €12,000 from Arona for 2010.

Our food bill is €4500 each month
Our total costs are around €10,000 each month.
How do we find this?
We have three charity shops, Costa Silencio, Los Cristianos, San Eugenio.
I do at least 2 funraisers each month.
We have some generous supporters.
We have a web browser, where we get paid when others use it. It has a combined desktop which includes some LA videos, plus other free stuff like films, music and games. Have a look, www.livearico.funeasycomputer.com From the Super Content tab select "Download SMD" As a free user the log in is LiveArico. It costs you nothing but we get paid.
I am currently looking at other ways of exploiting the internet to raise money. A new website is under construction and will include tabs to affiliate programs which I have signed up for. So if you shop on Amazon via our site we get paid. If you book excursions with Tenerife Sunshine via our wesite we get paid. Much of my time is now taken up with looking at ways of making money through the internet. The web browser thing SHOULD make us plenty when it starts rolling.

I have 2 BIG events in the pipeline, one in the summer and one before Xmas, as soon as things are in place I will post.

Our June events are a bbq / fun afternoon at Olivers, Los Cristianos on the 18th and Mid Summer Nights Dream at Restaurant Maria, El Nautico, Golf del Sur on the 24th.

Think thats it. In a nutshell, we all work our butts off to keep the cart on the tracks. We all do it for the dogs, because we love them and want to change things for the better. Eugene is a bit unorthodox, non conformist, but he does what he does with a good heart and he cares. I think it is his eternal optimism and energy that keeps the rest of us inspired and working hard. Never give up. Ha!!!

pamywamy
29-05-2011, 15:57
Thanks for above info. Looking forward to the bbq on 18th. Slightly off topic but do you have furniture in the shops? You are all doing such a good job.

caroletenerife
29-05-2011, 16:20
[QUOTE=pamywamy;969]Thanks for above info. Looking forward to the bbq on 18th. Slightly off topic but do you have furniture in the shops? You are all doing such a good job.[/QUOTE
i know they have a cooker and a dining table set in the Los Cristianos shop x

SuzyQ
29-05-2011, 16:20
We don't tend to because of space restrictions. We thought about a designated furniture shop though if anybody fancies setting that up??
Thanks for being interested, see you at Olivers. :)

DeeD
29-05-2011, 18:16
A couple of years ago you had a car boot on a Sunday afternoon in the Terrace bar, Amarilla Golf. Is this still operating?

SuzyQ
29-05-2011, 19:13
It was just last summer actually, but it never really took off. We just sell everything through our shops now, on occasion I put the nicer items in the Auction Rooms in Chafiras. :)

LindaD
30-05-2011, 00:16
It was just last summer actually, but it never really took off. We just sell everything through our shops now, on occasion I put the nicer items in the Auction Rooms in Chafiras. :)
I popped in to your shop in Los Cris when I was over a couple of weeks ago for books and also picked up a lovely M & S blouse!!!!! The prices of the books, etc are very reasonable compared to the charity shops at home - so anyone going on holiday forget taking them with you call into Live Arico shops and buy them there. All the very best in your forthcoming ventures:-}

SuzyQ
30-05-2011, 01:28
Ah, thanks Linda. Forum member Astara manages our Los Cris shop, she will be happy to read this. Thanks again :)

slodgedad
30-05-2011, 01:34
Ah, thanks Linda. Forum member Astara manages our Los Cris shop, she will be happy to read this. Thanks again :)

Sorry, maybe slightly off topic, Sue, but are all your cohorts in Live Arico aware of the new Forum address

SuzyQ
30-05-2011, 01:42
I think so, but to be sure Ill post the link on our Facebook page now. Good point Mr Slodge. x

doreen
30-05-2011, 08:30
I popped in to your shop in Los Cris when I was over a couple of weeks ago for books and also picked up a lovely M & S blouse!!!!! The prices of the books, etc are very reasonable compared to the charity shops at home - so anyone going on holiday forget taking them with you call into Live Arico shops and buy them there. All the very best in your forthcoming ventures:-}

SuzyQ ... as it's a new thread and there will be new readers not knowing of past threads, it might be helpful to list the locations of the shops and their opening hours :)

SuzyQ
30-05-2011, 18:13
Of course. There seems to be so much to put on here that its easy to miss the obvious. OK :-

Costa Silencio - On the road side in front of Coral MAr Square, next to the Coral Bar. Manager Claudia, not a forum member unfortunately.

Los Cristianos - On the walkway by Churchills and Wehbe, opoosite the playpark. Manager Trish (Forum member Astara)

San Eugenio - Opposite La Niña Hotel, up the walkway by Amandas, Complex Las Carabelas. Manager Siobhan (Forum member caroletenerife)

All shops open Monday to Friday 10 - 4 and Saturday 10 - 2.

SuzyQ
06-06-2011, 02:06
Due to enormous amounts of work done (and to do) by forum member SGD, we have gone live with the new website. I have spent time looking at ways to exploit the internet as a way of earning money, and as such the website has links to Amazon and Tenerife Sunshine, for which we receive commisions on sales. We also have a link to our own branded web browser / desktop which is starting to roll money in. Little by little. Onwards and upwards :) www.livearico.org

sam & dan
16-06-2011, 11:21
You do a fantastic job each and everyone of you, i got my keira from you guys and she is a fantastic doggie, the shops are also fantatstic and i have got some great things from there and also its nice to be able to donate my old clothes to a fantastic cause,
Many thanks again :gromit:

Suej
16-06-2011, 11:30

My next door neighbour was telling me that she will be having a clear out....I´m very eager to get my hands on the stuff, her and her OH only wear Burberry, Ralf Lauren,etc... and I know all the stuff will be in pristine condition too.:spin:

mominnie
18-06-2011, 22:39
Thankyou Suej...the shops all have a designer rail where we can sell the higher quality items for better prices, we also work with the Dress Agency on Las Chafiras who can sometimes get us a better price so this donation will help us enormously. Please Thank your friends for us and Thankyou for your recent fabulous donation too.

Added after 12 minutes:

It has been a very busy week at the rescue centre with, of course, more dogs coming in but the rehoming just about balancing it out for a change ! There is a looming problem in the Las Chafiras, San Miguel, area near LIDL. 3 very thin dogs are living basically under lorries that park in this area, the people who have informed us have contacted the Police but so far nothing has been done and they think that the little one of the three has recently had puppies. A few people are putting down food and water for them but they are not being picked up, another Port Royale situation....we have advised the people to continue to call the police in the hope that they will be rescued, if not, well here we go again ! The negotiations on the land are moving slowly but surely and we just need the lottery and we´re sorted ! Materials are still desperately needed for reforms and necessary work. The Wish List is nearly complete and then we can go ahead with this initiative but in the meantime if anyone has any leftover materials from their own reforms we would be eternally grateful for ANYTHING ! Shelters can be built from pallets, a bag of cement can be used to improve the security of the fencing...
so please do keep an eye on our website www.livearico.org for the wish list. As Sue opened the thread and stated, we are STILL owed 12,000 euros for our service in 2010 to Arona council our coffers are low so all income goes on food, refuge rent and associated other costs...basically we really need 10,000 a month to pay everything but we never achieve that so new ways to raise money are in the pipeline that will benefit you also. We continue to strive to do everything we can for the dogs and worry about the money later and will post weekly on our progress. Many Thanks to all on the forum for the support.

mominnie
20-06-2011, 01:23
2 new initiatives now under way to benefit all.
VOLUNTEER HOLIDAYS

1. A lovely lady and gentleman are opening their finca for use as a base for volunteers to come and stay in Tenerife for just 120 euros per week, per person which includes breakfast, packed lunch, evening meal (1 BBQ p.w ), transfer from and to airport and travel to the rescue centre. In return the volunteers give 5 days of help at the centre, there are many ways to help and a list of these are on our website www.livearico.org. The finca is in the mountains but not far from towns and beaches. There is also a pool for chilling by and a dip after a hard days work! There is no profit for L A with this BUT it will give us much needed help and provide a social aspect. Many good times are anticipated at the finca ! More details and photos will be on the website this week. So, if you know anyone who would love a cheap break on our lovely Island but also contribute invaluable help for our many abandoned dogs then this is for them ! We thank VIV55 for the inspiration for this idea and the lovely volunteers of the Atlantic Whale Foundation who have been helping us recently. We hope to run this initiative hand in hand with their programme.

Added after 10 minutes:

THE LIVE ARICO MEMBERS CLUB

A win win idea for all. It has been a long time in organising and time is an issue but finally we´ve got there.

Basically, you join the club for 30 euros per quarter year and then receive a card for that period which then enables you to use it at numerous, varied businesses to obtain discounts and offers which save you money. Your outlay will be paid back many times over. The list of participating businesses range from bars , restaurants, vets, beauty salons, hairdressers and so much more. If you are happy ( which we are sure you will be!) with your savings then you can extend your card for as many quarters as you wish ( payable in advance) and keep on saving ! This helps us all, you, the businesses (with clients they may not usually have) and the dogs so everyone is happy ! Please contact us through the website to enrol and receive your list of outlets associated to the programme, we anticipate that the list will grow. If you are a business and wish to join the list also please do so, the more the better ! The full details will be on the website by the end of the week. Thankyou. X

mominnie
20-06-2011, 22:11
Tomorrow we are signing up with ESPAÑA EXPRESS, the new tourist postcard service here to have postcards done of Live Arico and to be sold in all our shops and some other outlets. Another small but lovely idea to raise a few euros for the dogs.

Added after 2 minutes:

We are also now in a position to accept any good items of furniture / electrical appliances etc... we can collect and they will be sold through the Tenerife Auction Rooms at a generously reduced commission by the owners. All proceeds from these sales will go direct to our vets towards our accounts. Thankyou.

caroletenerife
20-06-2011, 22:35
Great idea, i will put a poster up in the shop xx

Kande
28-06-2011, 15:24
If you still want some pallets I regularly see some outside Iceland, Las Chafiras and also outside/across from Puchitos near bins around the corner from Iceland. Im sorry i dont have transport to take them to you.

SuzyQ
04-07-2011, 03:08
Thank Kande, we´ll have a look.

We raised €432 at the Terrace Bar today in our Bits and Bobs sale. It was well attended and a good day was had by all. Many many thanks, our costs are spiralling, we need every cent. x S x

mominnie
04-07-2011, 21:26
Yesterday was a brilliant day and much fun was had and a fabulous 432.50 euros was raised. This was fantastic as it was not really a Live Arico Benefit but more an invite from the Terrace Bar to share their 4th July celebration event held every year. The wonderful donation of items from the family of the lady who had a slight addiction to QVC, bless her, has so far raised us 982 euros and there is still lots left which we will sell at the forthcoming benefits. Some great items still to be had. Also Many Thanks to the 2 Denices who donated some beautiful gold jewellry which again we still have a few pieces left to sell.

On to weekly business.

A hard week this week, many episodes of You Couldn´t Make It Up...a man arrives at the gate with a dog, says he has found it in Las Americas but would like to keep it...can we help with jabs etc... Eugenio goes down to get the paperwork needed and when he returns to the keep gate, the man is gone and the dog is just standing there.....you have to laugh !!! We need to make a top 10 list of excuses / stories / reasons...WHY I DON¨T WANT MY DOG. :crylaughing::crylaughing: However, hard week financially with so much to pày out, I hate the end of the month ! but the recent benefits have been good and well attended. The shops are a little quiet but it is the time of year as it did last year...roll on September. Many dogs rehomed but as always we never seem to get further forward...10 out 12 in.....
Good news on the horizon with a very special and exciting business concept being established for which L A will benefit enormously.
The finca that will be a base for volunteer breaks, respite kennels and other great ideas to help L A is now looking fantastic and a special editorial will be in the newpapers soon about this.
Figures for the half year end will be posted next week.
Great strides forward on the purchase of the finca...once this is in place then the paperwork with Granadilla will push forward rapidly. Then we just need the lottery to build what we want ! But at least our place will be safe and we can continue to do what we do in peace.
Talks are taking place with one small municipality for a service. A good stride forward, we end up with the dogs anyway so we may as well get paid a little to help !!!
Well, onto another week and yet more epsiodes of " YOU COULDN¨T MAKE IT UP ! " in the horizon. :spin:

dede
04-07-2011, 22:07
I pass the silencio shop every morning at 8 oclock and i know it dosnt open till 10 oclock but i have four bags of clothing, do you think it would be ok to just leave them outside the shop at 8 oclock??

SuzyQ
05-07-2011, 02:33
I would say it would be fine dede. Coral Bar is open before the shop so would keep an eye on it. Thanks :)

Suej
05-07-2011, 10:41
I am proposing that members buy themselves a piggy bank:pig: (a jar will do) I am calling mine "Change an animals life" all loose change will go into my piggy bank until it´s full then contents will be donated to the Animal refuges! anyone else want to join? :idea::hello:

Goforgold
05-07-2011, 11:21
I am proposing that members buy themselves a piggy bank:pig: (a jar will do) I am calling mine "Change an animals life" all loose change will go into my piggy bank until it´s full then contents will be donated to the Animal refuges! anyone else want to join? :idea::hello:

What a brilliant idea Suej - and I love the name too!!! :)

We've got a teddy bear here with loads of change, will bring it with us. :)

Suej
05-07-2011, 11:36

Keep filling it up GFG! might be best to change into notes before you come over won´t it be very heavy LOL!!! I´m starting this week!

Goforgold
05-07-2011, 11:39
Keep filling it up GFG! might be best to change into notes before you come over won´t it be very heavy LOL!!! I´m starting this week!

And another good idea............................ :)

astara
05-07-2011, 11:55

GFG you have always supported ALL the animal charities on the island & are a perfect example of people working together for the good of ' changing an animals life' .... & its your fault i,m in this 24/7!!! lol that doggy walking sure started something ....... lol

caroletenerife
05-07-2011, 13:03
We have a large tub outside the shop...can I steal your slogan? People often say 'oh its not much, just some loose change', they could not be more wrong, it soon adds up and I'm sure suzyQ will confirm it has been a life saver on more than one occasion.x

Suej
05-07-2011, 13:15
We have a large tub outside the shop...can I steal your slogan? People often say 'oh its not much, just some loose change', they could not be more wrong, it soon adds up and I'm sure suzyQ will confirm it has been a life saver on more than one occasion.x

With pleasure Carole! My friend who visits us 3 times a year leaves any small change in a bedside drawer in his room...I just looked and dug out over 8€ that´s going in my piggy bank! it does add up and quite quickly!:D

Goforgold
05-07-2011, 13:16
GFG you have always supported ALL the animal charities on the island & are a perfect example of people working together for the good of ' changing an animals life' .... & its your fault i,m in this 24/7!!! lol that doggy walking sure started something ....... lol

Thanks Astara - OH and I will never forget that day, we often talk about it :) Do you remember trying to coax Dodo into the back of our car with your old sandwich??!!! :) That was the best time of any holiday I have had. My problem is I got so upset at having to leave him, just couldn't get him out of my head, or all the other dogs. Dodo has you to thank for the rest................. :) You do a grand job. :)

With pleasure Carole! My friend who visits us 3 times a year leaves his small change in a bedside drawer in his room...I just looked and dug out over 8€ that´s going in my piggy bank! it does add up and quite quickly!:D

Can you re-phrase this Suej ???

Suej
05-07-2011, 13:22

Post edited - Is that better! if there´s anything else that´s misleading I can´t see it! LOL! innocent as the day´s long..me!:o

mominnie
06-07-2011, 00:13
The loose change is an absolute GODSEND ! it makes a BIG difference and you will see how much when I post the half year figures next week. Thankyou to all those who help with this, it´s hard labour as Sue and I know, Andy0210´s Mum does the lions share and Peter and Angie who have helped for years collecting the boxes, these lovely people make such a difference. So all extra helps enormously ! thankyou X My friend has a charity box at her home and makes everyone who visits empty their pockets...last emptying got 43.27 euros so you see how easy it is to add up !

Dede---I do not think it a good idea to drop the bags at Silencio at 8am...Coral Bar does not open until same time as shop and we have had things disappear when left outside of hours. If you PM me . I will arrange to collect rather than lose it ! We just lost 3 bags in Port Royale...after all the hard work L A supporters did to rescue the pups from the pack there...they called and 3 days after I went to collect and it had already been picked up but mysteriously by someone who was NOT from Live Arico........

dede
06-07-2011, 07:31
[
Dede---I do not think it a good idea to drop the bags at Silencio at 8am...Coral Bar does not open until same time as shop and we have had things disappear when left outside of hours. If you PM me . I will arrange to collect rather than lose it ! We just lost 3 bags in Port Royale...after all the hard work L A supporters did to rescue the pups from the pack there...they called and 3 days after I went to collect and it had already been picked up but mysteriously by someone who was NOT from Live Arico........[/QUOTE]

Hi its ok i made an extra journey back there yesterday and delivered them myself when the shop was open so they got there ok thanks, Ps if anyone needs a good mans suit for a wedding in perfect condition get down there quick.....

astara
12-07-2011, 20:05
Thanks Astara - OH and I will never forget that day, we often talk about it :) Do you remember trying to coax Dodo into the back of our car with your old sandwich??!!! :) That was the best time of any holiday I have had. My problem is I got so upset at having to leave him, just couldn't get him out of my head, or all the other dogs. Dodo has you to thank for the rest................. :) You do a grand job. :)

i do indeed hun as i remember you giving up best part of your hols to walk the pooches from L.A. at amarillo golf & at K9.. You would be doing it as well if you lived here !! lol its addictive if your a dog lover ....

SuzyQ
13-07-2011, 00:26
Following some confusion we are clarifying the situation. Live Arico´s policy is to ask for a minimum donation of €70 for an adopted dog, which is paid direct to Hospivet Sur on collection of your new pet, who will as a result be chipped, vaccinated with anti rabies and V7 vaccine and issued with a passport. From this amount a small proportion is used to reduce our debt with Hospivet. If your pet already has been vaccinated, or chipped, we still charge €70 and obviously then a larger amount is paid off our account. This is in line with other refuges who charge an adoption fee. Hospivet also offer flea & worm treatments from €11 for a months cover of Advocate, and will discuss neutering & spaying options with you if necessary. The vast majority of our dogs are indeed neutered. We highly recommend this surgery who work tirelessly for Live Arico at hugely discounted rates, and cannot praise their dedication to our animals enough.

astara
13-07-2011, 03:28
A quick reminder that the next live arico benefit night is tonight at Legends bar, los cristianos from 9pm onwards.... Hosted by our own Suzyq, with many more guest singers, raffle, football card, & a mini-factory designer outlet stall from the charity shop... Come along & have some fun & help change a dogs life...

SuzyQ
13-07-2011, 11:31
Astara, it's next Wednesday honey. It was originally tonight but was shifted to next week because of my work arrangements. Don't want you there on your own mate. X

mominnie
17-07-2011, 01:52
Working hard on our half year end figures...sorry to all those who are interested...but have been extra extra busy with adoptions, refuge matters, land purchase matters, ayuntamiento meetings, shop matters, need I go on and on LOL ! Also moving house....anyway will get them out as soon as I can !!

It has been a very busy few weeks at the refuge with a brilliant amount of adoptions..including one that we thought would never happen !! An 11 year old Staffie X..Gugu..who has been with us for years...this proves that hope is eternal ! Operations performed for Bina, and for our precious San Eugenio Shop Mascot Fasnia..both are doing well and all is ok. Next week the very gorgeous Tano ( left for dead on the road near the refuge after being run over) will have his op for his wobbly hip and he is now safely ensconced in his forever home ! Another case of never giving up hope...some would have put him to sleep...and now apart from his wobble ( soon to be rectified) he is happily living his life ! Things are moving along...slow but steady...for the purchase of the finca...time, money and patience and we will get there ! An enormous leap in support numbers and our Spanish support is now phenomenal !! Just 1 year and 4 months ago we had hardly any Spanish support and now the numbers who share our philosophy and ethos are as strong as the British...a very welcome development ! it shows that hard work and dedication pay off and being true to what we all do. Until soon we wish you a very good weekend XXX

SuzyQ
17-07-2011, 02:14
Thanks mominnie. And tomorrow i meet with DJD and residents of Ocean Golf, Golf del Sur to assess the situation of the 15ish cats on the waste ground. The president of GdS would have us believe this is the biggest and most pressing problem mankind has ever encountered, however, I have pointed out that the residents have created this problem and now need to be a bit more tolerant of it. I know of at least one pedigree Persian in the mix, left behind when her owner relocated back to Germany.
As usual, our under funded Associations are expected to wave a magic wand and solve all problems immediately. So there we will be, on a Sunday afternoon, to see what can be done, if anything. hey ho. Eugene has a meeting with the Ayuntamiento of San Miguel on Monday in any case so will bring up the subject of managed cat colonies in the district. I will keep interested parties infromed on this thread.

astara
19-07-2011, 21:43
Request for any strong volunteer who can help out, putting out & taking in stock & rails in los cris charity shop between 10-11 & 3.30 - 4pm .. We have a bunch of lovely lady volunteers for whom the task is a wee bit strenuous at times.. would suit a fit youngster or fit retired gent maybe !!

We are also in need of carrier bags - if anyone can help call into shop nr churchills bar, opposite admiral travel..

As always happy to receive donations of household good, clothes & bric a brac etc...

henry
19-07-2011, 21:54
you do have me astara. i´m not retired but i am fit and young lol. i´m the only gent in los cristanos..

SuzyQ
19-07-2011, 22:53
We know that Henry :) But youre not there every day sweetie.
Tomorrow (wednesday) night we are at Legends Bar, Costa Mar, near Iceland and the Arona Gran in Los Cristianos. Hosted by Keith Christie, we have Ian Anderson, Heathers fattitude Show, Luke and Steve Towler, Pip Brown, Gerry Attrick, my Alfie and me. Fab raffle prizes too, its looking to be a good one.

astara
20-07-2011, 20:04
you do have me astara. i´m not retired but i am fit and young lol. i´m the only gent in los cristanos..

I am very grateful for your strength & helpful attitude Henry..... thanks...

henry
20-07-2011, 20:07
alot of new stuff came in today at live arico.

like backbags for the kiddies for school, earphones,can holders,etc
come by today we have limited stock on them.

6 earphones.
2 backpacks.
2 can holdes,
etc...

like a reading clip light you can read your book in bed. very nice. i saw that. and it very nice.

come by today and take a look.

even today i had so much copper coins just piling up at home. i took that and bought 4 reuse bages for live arico.to be donate and 100 iceland bags i donate for live arico and i also brought from home 50 bags from carrefour i had. to give to live arico.

astara
20-07-2011, 20:20
thanks so much Henry - for donating your coins to live arico - the doggies love you for it ...

henry
21-07-2011, 22:01
today a hugh donations came in today!! from 5 diffenct people. lots of stuff. like blue jeans,alot of kids clothes. one i fell in love with a shirt. too bad it was kids size. a blue t-shirt with superman logo on it. a big box of spanish books came in as well. i will said about 4 big boxes of stuff came in. why don´t you swing by and take a look of the neat stuff that came in and garb some bargans. even some nices man and women shoes came in today as well. even a very nice tan leather women jacket came in as well.

SuzyQ
22-07-2011, 02:22
Thanks Henry :)
The benefit at Legends was well attended, and we made €190. The entertainment line up was fab and a lovely buffet was provided by the Market Tavern and Surrey Arms. We are desperately short of money at the moment, the shops are quiet without the swallows, and life is hard. But we carry on, as there is no other option. I am hoping the regular payments scheme via the website will soon be active. If we get enough people to give just a couple of euros it could tip the balance.
Also, please support our shops, use our web browser, book excursions through our website, shop on Amazon through our website. Silly little things but they all add up. Thanks so much :)

mominnie
25-07-2011, 21:50
A HUGE Heartfelt Thankyou to Ann from Tenerife Auction Rooms who today very kindly donated all her wonderful stock of clothes from Her Butterflies boutique. There are some brand new and gorgeous clothes now on the rails in the Silencio shop....HURRY ON DOWN !!! Ann, we cannot Thank you enough for this generous donation and wish you All the best for your future. All at Live Arico XXXX

SuzyQ
26-07-2011, 01:34
Thanks to Ann, I didnt realise that. Great stuff x

mominnie
27-07-2011, 02:38
Well..a very interesting start to our "ever packed full of news week"..and it´s only Tuesday ( well technically Wednesday !) ...more silly goings on, the Spanish supporters have this under control for a change !...a good start to the week with adoptions....of course intakes from all over the place...a very kind donation from Shane of a signed Shirley Bassey L P which has been independently valued at between 200-400 pounds. A first edition Scott´s book of poetry with a date of 1853 inscribed, E Bay here we come or who´s up for it over here ??? Lot´s of building improvements about to take place at the refuge, a professional engineer arriving to have a volunteer holiday to help at the refuge, sad stories and good stories....and onwards we go. A fab benefit to take place on Saturday at San Blas , Golf Del Sur tying in with the opening of Nicky Cooke the boxer´s, new bar "The Ringside "...Nicky has supported us in the past and now we will support him too. Have a peaceful night everyone XXX

SuzyQ
28-08-2011, 18:41
Just a quick "whats happenning".
The plan to buy the finca moves on, and preliminary contracts are almost at the point of being signed. We will all breathe a bit easier if / when that comes off.
The shops have been very quiet this month, as is usual without our generous swallows, but with our costs higher than ever, we sure have felt the pinch this summer, juggling money around and even loaning money from our own pockets to keep the dogs fed and watered. A ad campaign is underway which we hope will get people through the doors. A fourth shop is opening in San Isidro soon, Ill keep you posted.
The €1000 (ish) per month I bring in from fundraising is a mere 10% of our costs. Our idea of getting a lot of people to give a little is well under way, and we have people subscribing to be members on the website on a daily basis. This needs constant mentions on Facebook and Twitter, and I would ask any forum members on either of these social networking sites to "Share" this info. Just one click on the website homepage sets it up - so easy.
This Tuesday sees us at the Oasis pool bar, Fairway Village, Golf del Sur, from 7.30 with myself, Colin Stevens, Phil Gibson, Sebastian, Charlie Karlsen and Tanya Tevaro. Tickets are almost sold out so be quick.
We return to Restaurant Maria at El Nautico on the 9th September and hope for a repeat of the hugely sucessful night we pulled off back in June. This time its a BBQ / salad supper at €12, and we have the one and only Nick Page entertaining us.
September 30th we are at Ocean View, Comodoro, Los Cristianos for pie and pea supper with Hi de Hi´s Paul Shane as compere. Should be a laugh.
Carrying on searching for a high profile patron. Martin Clunes and Paul o Grady are being contacted, so fingers crossed.
Lastly, we have the Gillian Bank Theatre School here at the end of October for a week of concerts. Look for one near you, the shows will be highly professional and Live Arico will be there to benefit.
Thats it for now, got to go to work. Sue :)

caroletenerife
29-08-2011, 18:22
See you tomorrow, The one on the 9th sounds good, Nick Page alwyas pulls a good crowd. Is Paul Shane staying in Tenerife or coming over especially for us haha

SuzyQ
29-08-2011, 22:21
He's here anyway, lol. That will be a good laugh. Hi de Hi!!!

SuzyQ
16-09-2011, 01:12
The "do" at el nautico was a huge success, we raised a massive €1000. As before in this venue, we were sold out 48 hours before the event and turning people away. The level of suppport we have warms my heart and makes it all worth while, well, almost. After a very difficult week where Eugene lost his lovely Mum, the water was also cut and Solange from el nautico and myself spent 3 hectic hours getting it reconnected so the dogs could drink water, on one of the hottest days of the year. Although we realised time was running out for settling the bill, no advance notice was issued, and although I am not one for conspiracy theories it seemed like obstacles were put in our way to resolve the situation. Again, we called on our support network, acquired €1500, and paid it, running into entermanser with 2 minutes to spare before closing time. Although clearly shocked we had done it, they had no choice but to reconnect.
True Challenge Anneka!!
This summer has been horrendous, but advertising on Oasis FM has brought people into the shops and we´re pulling back little by little. We´re nothing if not tryers!!
Memberships are going well, (see alternative thread).
Our fourth shop has opened, Amigos de Live Arico (slightly different model) is in San Isidro, near the primary school. Pay a visit.
We absolutely cannot take any more dogs, the financial burden is just too high. So what to do when Eugene and I happened upon a beautiful female doberman cross, stood frozen against the central reservation on the TF1?
After pulling over, I dare not keep looking in the rear view mirror as Eugene ran up the hard shoulder, and the dog started to cross the road. I saw the cars slowing down and the hazard lights going on. next time I dared to open my eyes he was walking back to the car, unharmed dog in arms. She was understandably terrified, but lucky to be alive. We left her in Hospivet overnight to calm down, she is now being fostered at MaDat, but we have a couple coming to see her at the weekend. She cannot go to the refuge so we have to find her a home. She may yet go to Germany. Things could have been so very different.
next fundraiser is at Ocean View, Hotel Comodoro, with Hi de Hi´s Paul Shane, and kracka as the blues Brothers. PM me for tickets, €6 to include pie and pea supper. Think thats it for now. Love you all lots xxxx

caroletenerife
16-09-2011, 01:43
Well done you at the fundraiser, well done eugene for saving the dog, well done the people who helped get the water back on and well done the customers in all the shops for the fantastic support you have shown the refuge xxxx
i read somewhere that ' when you help rescue, abandond and neglected animals you might lose your mind...but you find your soul' xx

SuzyQ
21-09-2011, 01:21
Our half year figures are available :-

Our three charity shops made a net profit of €22,080.39 from January to June inclusive. We thank Claudia, Trish and Siobhan for managing the shops, and all their hardworking volunteers. You are all stars. All the coins in our collection boxes totalled a further €4137.21. They do add up. My benefits brought in €5445, and we thank all the acts who constantly give us their time. We are lucky to be able to call upon the very best of talent when we need to, and, as was proved at Restaurant Maria, we sure can put on the best of events. Donations made were €4982, which gave us a total income of €36,644.60 In reality, our running costs are around €10,000 per month, and once again the shortfall has been met by our vets, Hospivet Sur in Las Chafiras and our feed supplier. We constantly strive to reduce our debts with both entities, and our membership scheme has had a good start – we hope it will continue to give us this extra, most needed income. Next week we will publish figures regarding numbers of dogs in and out.

caroletenerife
21-09-2011, 23:15
Thanks for the information Suzy I shall get something printed off for the customers, these figures show just how important their support is . Hopefully the next 6 months will be even busier and we can make a dent in those debts xxx

caroletenerife
23-09-2011, 03:35
Just a wee note to thank forum member williethetim and his lovely wife, who sought us out in our little cave in San Eugenio to give us a donation whilst they are here on holiday, many thanks. Also thanks to Gary from 'Rotations' Second Hand Shop who dropped of a rail for the new shop and some great clothes, your all stars xxxxxx

SuzyQ
01-10-2011, 15:24
Last nights benefit at the Comodoro was another huge success. We raised €630 in the end. Paul Shane helped me compere and we had entertainment from Dorian :D , Andy Phillips, Kracka as the Blues Brothers, Robbie Dominic, my Alfie, Michaela, Tanya Tevaro and Phil Gibson. Good work.

This week has been good and positive. A surprise visit from a very important and influential person who said he "takes away a good opinion" and that he "wants to help". We dont yet know in what form the help will come but anything is welcome, and to be praised by someone of this persons calibre means so very much. A bit like Barbra Streisand telling you youre a good singer, lol.

October looking to be a bumper month, the MustCat trip should reap around €1000, possibly more, and a series of shows by the Gillian Banks Theatre school at the end of month around €3000. We hope to be able to chip a little bit off our debts with a bit of luck. Onwards and upwards.

Expect a big announcement soon about our Association and sweeping changes to come. All positive and good.

ANDREA S
10-12-2011, 22:24
Only just rejoined after a 2 year spell off the forum glad to see you are still on here and tirelessly doing what you do. I hope to have reached the ten thousand mark by the end of the year in my little fund raising sales for arico. Taken me 4 years but hey. Xx

SuzyQ
13-12-2011, 02:53
You have always been a good friend to Live Arico Andrea, how many dogs have you paid for to be sterilised? Glad youre on here :)

Whats new? Well the shops are busy thanks God, Astara and Carole tenerife work their butts off in Los CRis and San Eugenio respectively. Pay us a visit and have a go on the Xmas raffles, with a hamper to be won from each shop. Only 50 cents per ticket.

Had some cracking fundraisers, with the best part of €2000 raised on Golf del Sur within the space of a week, firstly at the Top Square on the 26th November followed by Restaurant Maria on the 2nd December.
Doing a fun Xmas Quiz next Tuesday the 20th at the Hotel Comodoro in Los Cristianos, just €7 per ticket to include a hot turkey bap, sausage roll, mince pie and xmas cracker. Come and see us for the final benefit of 2011. :)

helhod
21-12-2011, 17:50
Just like to say i have become a member of the wonderful live arico ,Taken forever but managed it eventually:)

SuzyQ
22-12-2011, 03:21
Well done that girl, lol xxx

SuzyQ
07-01-2012, 19:12
OK, new year, new start. The new Live Arico Committee is:-
Sue Havenhand (Me, lol) President
Ana Rodriguez Perez Vice President
Susanna Saavadra Secretary
Talania Ruiz Sanchez Treasurer
Vocals :-
Cesario Bertiloti
Eugenio Da Mommio (forum member livearico)
Trisha Darling (forum member Astara)
Siobhan Ferguson (forum member caroletenerife)
Solange Lamas
Linda Smethurst (forum member Todi)
Alan Sumpter
Simon Sutton
We carry on, better and stronger. Lots of plans like the discount card, etc, and a vote of confidence this week from the Cabildo has given us a boost. I added the forum names of the committee members on here in case anyone needs to PM any of us re LA. The next "do" will be at the Oasis Pool Bar, Fairway Village, Golf del Sur on Wednesday the 25th January. Carvery supper and homemade desserts followed by live entertainment hosted by yours truly. Tickets €10, Pm me for yours. Thanks a million.

SuzyQ
09-05-2013, 01:22
VACCINATION AND MICRO-CHIP CAMPAIGN
DON’T LET YOUR PET SUFFER THROUGH THE CRISIS
We have returned a couple of lost dogs to their owners recently who were not chipped. Posters were put all over and yes, it was achieved eventually but how much easier it would have been had the dog been chipped. Worse still, dogs can wind up in refuges unclaimed if their owner doesn’t know where to look. Micro chipping, and rabies vaccinations are legal requirements yet far too many people ignore this. Let Live Arico P.A.W.S help you get things up to date. Once again, in collaboration with Hospivet Sur Las Chafiras we are offering micro chipping and rabies vaccinations for just €25!!! That is less than half the normal price of €54. As we are subsidising this campaign, it is for a limited period only, from next Monday the 13th May, until the 12th June. For just €10 more you can also have your dog vaccinated with the Vanguard 7 vaccine, covering everything. You will not find cheaper!! Please, take care of your dog by taking advantage of this offer!!!

ADOPT A LIVE ARICO DOG
From this week our adoption fees have been standardised, and are €110 for a male dog and €140 for a female, to include, as stated above, vaccinations, chip, and sterilisation. It’s the only way ahead. PM me for more information about our dogs for adoption.

POOL AND DARTS KNOCKOUT COMPETITION

Live Arico PAWS will be staging their first Pool and Darts knockout competition on Sunday the 26th May at the Terrace Bar, Amarilla Golf. Registrations will take place from 12 noon or alternatively you can pre register by PMing me.
So polish off your cue, sharpen your darts and get down for a great afternoon of fun, just 5€ entry for each competition with the winners and runners up receiving cash prizes.
Look forward to seeing you there.

BARGAINS GALORE

To be found in our charity shops this month. Come and browse in Los Cristianos, Calle reveron,
near the childrens playpark, where Kel, Jackie and the lovely volunteers open between 10 and 4pm
daily. Alternatively, have a look at Siobhan’s Aladins Cave in San Eugenio, near Amandas Bar and
opposite Hotel La Nina. Both shops are closed Sundays. Come and see, you will be surprised at the
high quality goods at knock down prices. Happy shopping.

SuzyQ
16-05-2013, 02:20
WHEN THE SYSTEM WORKS WELL.....
This week, a concerned member of the public saw three dogs struggling to stay afloat in a water tank near San Miguel. He called 112, who contacted the Local Police, and together with an animal loving member of the Ayuntamiento they worked really hard to get the dogs out. Sadly the elder one could not be saved, but two far younger dogs were brought out alive. Live Arico were called in to assist, and yes, the dogs were microchipped. Not only that, but their owner had reported to the police that they had escaped his property, so all details were on file, and we were able to return the two dogs home safely.
Please, take advantage of our micro-chipping offer for the next 4 weeks. Micro chipping, and rabies vaccinations are legal requirements yet far too many people ignore this. Let Live Arico P.A.W.S help you get things up to date. Once again, in collaboration with Hospivet Sur Las Chafiras we are offering micro chipping and rabies vaccinations for just €25!!! That is less than half the normal price of €54. As we are subsidising this campaign, it is for a limited period only, until the 12th June. For just €10 more you can also have your dog vaccinated with the Vanguard 7 vaccine, covering everything. You will not find cheaper!!

POOL AND DARTS KNOCKOUT COMPETITION

Live Arico PAWS will be staging their first Pool and Darts knockout competition on Sunday the 26th May at the Terrace Bar, Amarilla Golf. Registrations will take place from 12 noon or alternatively you can pre register by calling Sharon Edens on 671 783117.
So polish off your cue, sharpen your darts and get down for a great afternoon of fun, just 5€ entry for each competition with the winners and runners up receiving cash prizes.
Look forward to seeing you there.

SuzyQ
23-05-2013, 00:59
THE GREAT LIVE ARICO PAWS GIVE-AWAY
Remember back in March we told you about a large donation of dog food which was returned unused from the Fasnia refuge? Well, after some thought we decided the best thing to do with it would be to give it away to more needy refuges on the island. In fact, we added to the 135 sacks and made it 300, that’s 6000 kilos of food that was donated out, on a ratio basis determined by the amount of dogs housed in those refuges. We also gave much needed food to organisations and private people who foster animals at home, like Animal Help and Sano y Asalvo. The largest refuge on the Island is Adepac in El Sauzal, so they took the lion’s share of 139 sacks. 28 sacks went to Adanca Candelaria, 21 to K9, and 18 to Esperanza de Sur. Other beneficiaries were Animal help and Sano y Asalvo (35 sacks plus food for their rescue turtles!!), MADAT (11 sacks), San Francisco de los Animales (7 sacks), Mirna de Arico (23 sacks), Dingo Dogs (5 sacks), Candy Raya (6 sacks), Guaza Mountain dogs (2 sacks) and the rest to independant foster carers. We also bought €100 of specialist food for the dogs with Judith Noble in the Santiago del Teide branch of San Francisco. We sincerely hope that the donations made a little difference to those who received them, and eased the financial burden somewhat.

FOR THE LOVE OF ROSE......
Remember Rose, the little dog left tied up on the Los Cristianos sea front in January, with a sign saying, “I am on the street, please take me with you” ? Well, at 10 years old she was very ill, and years of poor diet had left her with terrible teeth, cholesterol and a bad heart. However, with vetinary treatment and TLC from Live Arico’s Siobhan, Rose has now found her forever home with a lady called Rachel and is quite the princess. She has had her final check up and although she will never win any races she is a lot healthier and more active. She remains on her low calorie diet, with a personalised toothbrush and imported doggie toothpaste for her sensitive teeth. Live Arico will remain responsible for the future vet care of Rose as her health and age went against her, but she is very loved where she is, and last week managed the walk from Mare Verde down to the beach without having to be carried. A total of €465 was donated for Rose’s care, and special thanks go to Vanessa Cloutt and the customers of Lorraine Dunlop and Studio 5’s Andrea for providing the bulk of this. €211 was spent on Rose, so many others were helped with the extra money including Mutley and Smokey (PetsAtHome foster dogs), Roxi (a Guaza mountain pup), some feral kittens and their mother, Lady (PetsAtHome dog adopted by Vanessa Cloutt), an injured male feral cat, and not forgetting Sebastian the Arona Life Guards dog.

Rose captured the hearts of many, all was well in the end and others were helped along the way... good work.....

slodgedad
23-05-2013, 01:15
Great to see you back with this this thread, Sue..

SuzyQ
23-05-2013, 01:56
Thanks, its been too long xx

SuzyQ
31-07-2013, 01:17
THE RETURN OF THE GILLIAN BANKS THEATRE SCHOOL

Theyre back!!! For the third consecutive year, the Gillian Banks Theatre School students are here next week to amaze and entertain you. No less than 20 ultra talented young people will be singing and dancing, with multiple routines and costume changes. Without a doubt the best night out of the summer. They will be performing at the Palms Bar and Restaurant, Golf del Sur next Tuesday the 6th August, doors open at 7.30, show starts at 9.30 with entry strictly by ticket only, priced at €20 to include a 2 course dinner. PM me to get your tickets, but be quick. Charity raffle with all proceeds to Live Arico PAWS; The Guardyl Orphanage and Sangha Animal Sanctuary.
Then, on Thursday the 8th they will be repeating the show at the Harbour Club Los Gigantes, again the ticket price is €20 to include 5 star buffet and show, which will be introduced by yours truly. Tickets have almost sold out, but PM to check the situation. You will not be disappointed. Do not miss them, they are astounding.

LIVE ARICO PAWS HAVE THE X FACTOR

Last Saturday afternoon was a huge success at Ye Olde Ocean, Fanabe, where we held our first ever talent competition. Don’t miss the finals this week, at the same place from 2pm, where the final 10 contestants will battle it out for first prize which includes a €100 cash prize.

We would like to thank all who have donated prizes; Ye Olde Ocean, Vivo Decades, Showtime, Siam Park and Muscat. Also to the new owners of Ye Olde Ocean for allowing us to take over for the two days.
We would also like to thank the wonderful judges; Sue Havenhand, Lorna Eade, Julie Miller, Michael J Grant aka Mr Soulman and Shane Haigh- Sousa aka Mister Sister. Your professionalism in your comments was appreciated by each of the contestants.
Special thanks to Dave Michaels who designed all the posters, fliers and certificates for the event and Gary Hill of Eclipse Printing for getting everything printed for us in double quick time!
Finally thanks have to go to Gordon Slayney for keeping everything running smoothly on the day, and Wendi from Cats Welfare for selling the football card!
Come down this week to support the contestants as the outcome will be judged on audience response and the judge’s scores.
Thank you again to everyone who has taken part and those who have supported the event so far – the animals really do appreciate it.

HAPPY SHOPPING!!

To be found in our charity shops this month. Come and browse in Los Cristianos, Calle reveron,
near the childrens playpark, where Kel, Jackie and the lovely volunteers open between 10 and 4pm
daily. Alternatively, have a look at Siobhan’s Aladdin’s Cave in San Eugenio, near Amandas Bar, and opposite Hotel La Nina. Both shops are closed Sundays. Come and see, you will be surprised at the high quality goods at knock down prices. Happy shopping.