PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a telehone engineer

julia44
30-11-2011, 11:31
Is anyone on the forum a telephone engineer or knows of one.
Thanks Lynne

Stoney
30-11-2011, 14:21
depends what you need doing, if its for exchange work you will need telefonica man.

julia44
30-11-2011, 15:18
It is for a private house problems with reception and noise on the line. It has been ongoing for 12 months, new phone,Telefonica checking the line etc.

casabonny
30-11-2011, 15:30
It is for a private house problems with reception and noise on the line. It has been ongoing for 12 months, new phone,Telefonica checking the line etc.
We had similar problems with Telefonica line for almost 10 years ! Private house and engineer always said the same thing, filter faulty , change phone etc etc ..... eventually said we needed new line laying, but we knew this could not be correct as the ADSL always worked when the phone didnt !
Pulled away from them for them to then try every thing to keep us , promising better engineers etc ( why didnt they send a better one in the first place !) then saying our problem was exchanged based and they would sort within 24 hrs!
We left so good luck.

julia44
30-11-2011, 15:36
Left the house or Telefonica?
The phone was with Telefonica then moved to Direct Telecom moved back to Telefonica (for other reasons) same problem all the time and as you also mentioned there is not a problem with the ADSL.

casabonny
30-11-2011, 15:44
We left Telefonica.After all that time we felt enough was enough and were getting no where ... FAST.
We are now with Vodaphone but in our house ( due to the shape and situation) the internets slow but I am living with that for now .

Stoney
30-11-2011, 15:52
One of our friends have been through this, their problem was in the exchange down the road, so you will need Telefonica to sort it. Good Luck you will need it, they told Telfonica that if they couldn't sort it out they would cancel the contract and just use mobiles, but it still took ages.

Muppet
30-11-2011, 15:56
Try this

Remove all your phones and adsl routers from everywhere in the house. Locate the first socket on the incoming line.

If you are feeling brave, open it up and disconnect any wiring that goes off to your other sockets (write down what goes where of course) leaving just the incoming wire.

Put single phone into 1st socket and see what happens.

If it still crackles and farts at you, you can be pretty certain it is the incoming line and not your wiring - especially if you were brave and disconnected the wires to the other sockets.

If phone sounds quiet and good, connect back the wiring to the rest of the house and check again. If crackles are back you have a wiring problem (probably runs too close to mains cables, TV sets, PC screens etc.) Then get a man (or woman) with a drum of new cable.

If 1st phone still sounds good, go back and plug back in your other phones, one by one and see what happens. If noises come back then the last thing you plugged in is probably at fault.

If you use ADSL put new filters on your phones.

All that said, you say you have ADSL which works OK but the line crackles and pops at you when using the phone. The chances are that it is the phone itself - ADSL hates any noises on the line, especially crackles and often un-syncs when there are noises. If it works fine and gives reasonable speed consistently and TeleCONica reckon the line is OK, it really does sound like your phone is at fault. Borrow one from a neighbour and try it.

Enjoy

julia44
30-11-2011, 16:15
Thanks muppet its actually my friends phone so I will go round tomorrow however I will not take any chances and I will take a photo of the insides as well as writing it down.
Interesting point about the cables for TV as she has more than one TV and I am sure I have seen them near where the phone wire circulates.
She is now on her 4th phone in 12 months and this last one is mine so we know that does not have a problem.

mitsi
30-11-2011, 19:53
Something you can check without taking anything apart.
Your main telephone point in the house is a small white box. On the front of the box at the bottom is a flap which slides up and down. The flap will be in the down position. Under the flap is a telephone connection point.
This flap is for engineer testing. Once you slide the flap up it disconnects and cables coming from it to other phone points. It isolates everything.
Plug your phone into this box directly. If your line is clear then there is interferance somewhere in your house. If it is not clear then it is your telephone line supplier at fault. This is the first thing an engineer will check